And here I thought that with FM 18 striker and winger tactics would be back..

I dont think we can just write off tactics with strikers. Im using a tactic with 2 strikers and im 7 points clear after 24 games with a team that was predicted to finish 13th. Just take a look at SukSam tactic. 3 strikers and it is incredible. The tactic im using is a tweak of that

Last edited:
A picture is worth a thousand words... :)

La_Liga.png

At the picture above you can see the league table at the end of the 1st season in La Liga

As I said efficiency of “normal” looking formation with strikers and wingers has deteriorated even further in FM18 compare with FM17

All AI teams that use such “normal” looking formations with strikers and wingers get hit hard by that… just look at Barcelona and Real Madrid stats at the end of the season…. Barcelona got only 76 points and scored only 56 goals in the season, Real Madrid got only 87 points and scored only 64 goals in the season… when in real life these teams score 110-120 goals in a season and get 110+ points… it's almost twice more than in FM.

Of course, in theory a human manager can get more than AI mangers from “normal” looking formations but there’s always limits how much you can improve it….

Last edited:
Haven't read your thread at SI. But there's so much I can't implement in this tactical setup. That's why I lose the fun in playing this game. F.e. there are so many different closing down styles in the world, so many different build up methods and football is played within four general phases: attack, defense and the transition between these two. Within every aspect you should select the type of formation, tactical instructions (team and player), etc. And I can go on, because many trainers have methods within the first phase (build up), second phase (attacking transition opponent half) and the third half (attack at far opponent half). And everywhere there are different team instructions and player instructions. Should.

But all my creativity and especially my vision about football isn't able to play in Football Manager. I get frustrated by this. And again this year it seems you can only win by playing a 3 at the back, strikerless, 3 strikers or 2. But one striker is already much less effective. And within my philosophy I like to play in flexible 4-1-2-2-1 formation. But I'm &$(%$* with this game and ME.

Good to see you back TFF, will give this a try in my arsenal save and let you know how I get on|)

A picture is worth a thousand words... :)

La_Liga.png

At the picture above you can see the league table at the end of the 1st season in La Liga

As I said efficiency of “normal” looking formation with strikers and wingers has deteriorated even further in FM18 compare with FM17

All AI teams that use such “normal” looking formations with strikers and wingers get hit hard by that… just look at Barcelona and Real Madrid stats at the end of the season…. Barcelona got only 76 points and scored only 56 goals in the season, Real Madrid got only 87 points and scored only 64 goals in the season… when in real life these teams score 110-120 goals in a season and get 110+ points…

Of course, in theory a human manager can get more than AI mangers from “normal” looking formations but there’s always limits how much you can improve it….

Barcelona already have more goals than that in my save. After 28 games. On course to get around 80+ goals.
Athletico play a 442 and have a 40+ goal difference after 27 games

Guys, I've added a striker version of the tactic to the OP.

Please notice that this version is less efficient than the strikerless version.

FM18_Striker_version.png

Hi TFF,

I can see exactly what you mean- last year (real life)
Real Madrid scored 106 conceded 41
Barcelona scored 116 conceded 37
A.Madrid scored 70 conceded 27
Your save
Real Madrid
scored 64 conceded 24
Barcelona scored 69, conceded 28
A.Madrid scored 55, conceded 28
Not sure how this can be resolved, without making them unbeatable in the game, which I suppose would reflect real football, but to be realistic they should be scoring a few more.
But must add my thanks as your tactics have certainly helped me out over the last season or so and as already mentioned welcome back.

what kind of strikers do you buy to fit the AM roles?

I can say you who are the best players for the AMCs positions in the game: Messi, Aguero, Dybala, Neymar, Griezmann, Pogba

You can check their attributes and see how thier CAs are allocated… you need similar type of players for the AMCs positions.

well... very sad thing to hear that this year AGAIN is without "Normal" formations... at the moment i am testing my own tactic with 2 inside forwards and 1 striker... worked amazing at the beggining 7 wins 1 loss... (i think becouse i tested them with specific opposite instructions which is working very well) but then i met chelsea wchis use kind of similar formation as this TFF's one just with one striker and they smashed me 4:1 :/// morale after winning streak was perfect... so now i realise that you can try as much as you want with wingers tactics but these 3 defenders and strikerless always beat you :/ IF you guys still have a wish to play with "wingers" i think we should recreat this masterpiece of last year which let me to play with wide players/wingers but overachieved massivelly! ---> http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/share-download-fm-17-tactics/366330-matador-442-tweak-demolisher.html

Hello TFF. Last year on this tactic the mentality was set to counter as standard. And you could swap it to defensive if you met a team that parked the bus. Have you made any thought to mentality this year. Should i just leave it on standard or do you swap it around in the match?

TFF, happy to see you back! :) Been waiting.

Would you mind do a filter for each position? For player search, would love that.

Decided to have a go at one of the FM Touch challenges - the 'lower division team automatic promotion to the top division' one.

I used Wolves with a media prediction of 17th and ended up finishing 3rd with 2nd top goals scored, Diogo Jota got top goal scorer comfortably, I had 3 players in the top 4 assists, 2 players in the top 3 MOTM and 1st-4th top average rating.

I think it's safe to say that this tactic works for me!

"Any filter, any oi" Pfffffff i can underunderstand why that creator master tactics from older FM give up from here

so from your first post translating fm18 is a pile of **** and you need to cheat,exploit and download tools.

just to have a decent game!