That Which Does Not Kill Us Makes Us Stronger: A Wrexham Story

likeabaws

Reaction score
Hi guys. Here's an explanation to followers of my Blackpool story. I went on holiday for my birthday as I said, and when I returned, I had a brand new laptop sitting on my bed! So I've spent the last few days setting it up and getting a new copy of FM, I have a new skin and new updates and stuff. I've never done lower leagues and I though it would be fun, so I've gone Wrexham, as my Grandma is from there and she always goes on about how her dad went to the games every saturday and brought her back a chippie. I'll be doing this as a narrative with results incorparated. Hope you all enjoy it.

16th August 2007
Everton u18s vs Man United u18s

We were up against it, no doubt about that. We were strong, but United had some amazing players coming through. They boasted the most prolific strike force in the league, with Federico Macheda and Danny Welbeck the upfront partnership. But, we had the likes of Jack Rodwell, on the verge of breaking through to the first team. Jose Baxter, who boasted the label "The next Michael Owen". We had a chance. We could be champions.

A little about me. My name is Rob Caldwell* and I had a future. I was an old fashioned centre half. I was named the academy player of the year in 2006. I had been offered big money by Chelsea, Real Madrid and Barcelona to join their academies, but I loved Everton. I was a local lad, I grew up on Gwladys Street, the street that gave the name to Everton's season ticket holders stand. I was there every Saturday with my dad, cheering on the lads. My mum died when I was one, so my dad is all I've had. Big Dunc was my hero. When I got my academy contract, my dad cried. He said he'd never been happier, not even when I was born or on his wedding day. David Moyes came to my house and told me to make a cuppa. I listened in on what he said to my dad.
"Mr Caldwell, your son is special. He is. He could become our next captain. England's next captain maybe. I haven't been this excited about a player since I first saw Wayne Rooney play. Look after him. He'll be one of the best."
I made the tea with tears in my eyes. I could be the best!

On the day of the match, we knew if we won, the title was ours. David Moyes was in the stands. He gave me a knowing wink, as if to say "Our next captain". He knew. I was going to win this match for him. And Dad. He was in the front row.

We started brightly, with a sumptuous drive by Baxter only just diverted round the post by Ben Amos and left back Jake Bidwell's deflected cross hitting the bar. Our goal finally came when a Rodwell corner bounced around in the box like a game of pinball - until it fell to me. I unleashed a rocket into the top corner, and the lads mobbed me.There were tears in Dad's eyes. What a softie.

We held on and held on. But in the last minute my life changed forever.
Macheda stole a march on my center back partner James Bale and went one-on-one with the goalie. I sprinted back to try and cover. Macheda, the cheeky ******, knocked it through the keepers legs and went to celebrate. I rushed through and slid on the floor, and managed to hook the ball of the line. But I careered into the post and I heard a crack in my leg. I looked at my leg and saw the white of human bone protruding. I knew then, my career was over.

17th August 2007
St. Luke's Hospital, Liverpool

"Doctor, just tell me straight. Put me out of my misery." I said, all the life gone out of me.
"I'm so sorry, Rob. You won't play again. Your ankle ligaments practically don't exist. You'll need to walk with a cane for a while, and...
I blocked him out. All that hard work, the training, the missing out on fun with mates to stay an extra hour to train, for nothing. And the worst part was, I had no-one to blame. I broke down. I cried and cried, till the box of tissues were empty. My team mates turned up with my u18s winners medal and our player of the season award, but I didn't care. What were they worth now? Just an ego trip. Something I could look back on at 50 and say "I did win something." I knew where it was going when I got home. Under the bed, where no-one could see it. I dropped into a deep depression. With no qualifications, no ambitions, no hope, I thought about suicide. But Dad put me straight.
"Son, I know what happened is terrible, and it cut you up. But, don't you still love football? Our beautiful game, the game we love. Don't you still want to be a part of it?"
"How, Dad? I can't play again. I can't be a coach, I can only run 10 yards."
"You could manage. Work your way up. Start low. Kit boy or something like that. Earn it. An' one day, you'll get there. I know you. You're a fighter. You gave your career to win your team the league. You can do anything son. I know it. You know it. And your Ma in heaven knows it. That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Remember that."
He was right. I was going to make it. I was going to recover. I was going to come back, stronger and more determined than ever. Rob Caldwell. Remember the name.

*Not my real name
Is everyone enjoying the story? I put a lot of work into it.

Yay your back!! Brilliant start mate KIU

3rd October 2008
Wrexham Dressing Room, 3.40pm, Wrexham v Cambridge
"Rob! Get them kits out!" bawled manager co-manager Martin Foyle.
"Yes, Mr Foyle, sorry." I dutifully replied, trying to keep the sarcasm out of my voice. I had my first job back in football, a kit boy for non-league Wrexham F.C. I resented the manager, who's snidey remarks and little jibes always got me riled. But at least I was back in football. I washed the kits, ironed them, and hung them up. The club couldn't afford new kits for every game, so I wasn't that busy, and it was enough pay to support myself. I moved out at Dad's request. He said he wanted me to make it on my own. And so far, I am. But where is it all heading? I've never even had a sniff of anything to do with the playing. No-one spoke to me. It felt like it was heading for nothing. Until, one day, in a match against Cambridge, a player had ripped his shirt and I was called for a spare at half time. Wrexham were 2-0 down, and the managers didn't have a clue what to do.
"They're just outplaying us. Any suggestions, anyone?" said Martin. No players raised their hands. But I did.
"Sorry, Mr Foyle, but you're playing too high a line. The strikers have cottoned on to the offside and trap and now they're just sticking to the defenders' shoulders. The defenders need to drop deeper and allow themselves a bit of breathing space. Them strikers can't beat a man, all they can do is run past him. Also, drop Dave to a number 10 role. That way he won't be congested up top, and he can create space for James upfront. And, bring on Rodney. He's got a goal in him, I just know it. Please try it, Mr Foyle What's the worst that could happen?" I pleaded.
"Well, there's nout else to try. Why not? You heard him boys. Greg, come off, you've got a knock, on you come Rodney, play in the center. Defenders, drop deeper, and Dave, I want you playing an attacking midfield central role, draw the defenders, then pick the pass for James. Right lads, lets get back in this f*cking game!" he shouted. Credit Martin, he could deliver a good team talk.

We got a goal after 60 seconds of the restart, the nippy winger Rudd Trump delivered a great cross which fell kindly for striker James McIlroy to fire home. On the hour mark, Dave Jones, playing in his new number 10 role, fed through poacher James into space, and the young Irishman rounded the keeper and tucked it away.

We had kept tight, our low line blocking shots and making simple tackles and clearances. In the last minute, our winning goal came. A corner from Rudd had been only half cleared, and the man I instigated the intorduction of, Rodney Farell, unleashed a venomous drive into the top corner. Our 1000 fans cheered.

After the match, Martin changed my life.
"I don't want you as kit boy no more. You're my new tactical advisor. Get out of that tracksuit and out some proper clothes on. You're special. You know the game like the back of you're hand. That was no fluke out there. Go out, celebrate your new job. You're pay rise and bonus will pay for it. " he said with a smile.
I owe Martin everything. But I had completed the 1st step of my journey. I was involved I worked my way up. I was close, I could feel it. And with that though bouncing in my head, I left and rang my old team-mates. Jack had jut signed a 5 year deal with Everton and I new they were going out to celebrate. I asked to come along, even after years of neglecting them. They accepted. I was on the mend, and my journey had just begun.

​Thought? Please leave a comment or like if you're enjoying it. :)

Last edited:
4th July 2012
Valley Road Cemetary, 3pm

Jim Foyle read out his father's obituary with passion.
"Dad loved football. But most of all, he loved his family. Rest in peace, Dad. See you soon." The tears glistened in the light.

An hour later, at the after-funeral reception thing that no-one can quite name, the Chairman of Wrexham, Mr Harris, approached me whilst I has having a pint.
"Hi, Rob. How are you?" he asked.
"I've been better." I said with a smile.
"I'll cut to the chase. The new season is approaching, and we need a new manager. And you're the one we want."
"But...err...why? What about, I dunno, someone with experience." I stammered.
"We don't need experience. We need talent. And you've got it. You start tommorrow. Contracts will be discussed within the week. Well done. You've made it." And with that, he left.
When I got home, I rang Dad. He cried down the phone, just as he'd done when I got my contract at Everton.
"I knew you could do it son, I knew it!" he said, like an excited kid.
I was ecstatic. I had my chance. And I would take it. Nothing was going to stop me.

Last edited:
10th September 2012
Rob Caldwell's Office

Everything was going to plan. We were top of the league and I was getting the adulation of the fans. I had made some quality transfers, bringing in hitman Pablo Counago and youngsters like Thomas Werner and Joe Mcann. Things were looking good for promotion. But I felt something was missing. I was lonely. Dad was great, but I wanted... something more. And, as if by magic, I was introduced to the new physio, Louise.
"Hi, Louise. Hope you enjoy working here. " I said, and winked. She blushed and walked away. The R-Man was back in business.
View attachment 270959View attachment 270960
Transfers Results

2nd October 2012
Glyndwyr Community Racehorse Stadium
Wrexham v Woking, Blue Square Bet Premier Match, Full time

The lads were doing really well. We had won another match, taking our unbeaten run to six games with a 2-1 victory here. We came from behind after a new loan signing Laing's backpass fell short of keeper Mayembi, but goals from Counago and Ormerod gave us the win. We were top of the league and flying. But then, I got a phone call. My life would never be the same again.

"Hello." I spoke, as normal as could be.
"Mr Caldwell, my name is Tina. I'm from St Gielgud's Hospital. I'm so sorry, Mr Caldwell, but your father has had a heart attack."
"What? Is he OK?" I asked, trembling.
"It all depends. The next 24 hours will shape that. If he responds well to the treatment we're providing, he'll be just fine. But if not, then prepare yourself for the worst. I'm so sorry." She hung up.No. Not Dad. If I didn't have Dad, I'd have no-one. I drove to the hospital immediately, texting captain Dean Keates about what happened and a sorry for not delivering a team talk. I got to the hospital, and entered the cardiac ward.
"Dad!" I yelled, as I saw him lying there.
"Rob, I'm so glad you're here! I'll be OK son, just you wait and see, I'll be right as rain by the time you win the league!" he said. Despite the terrifying predicament he was in, he was his usual cheery self.
"Oh, Dad." I sobbed, breaking down.
"Eh, eh, no need for tears, lad, you'll worry me!Remember, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger, and I'm alive.So, I'm thinking of entering World's Strongest Man" he said with a chuckle. After I composed myself, we just chatted normally. I told him about today's game, and Louise. I spoke with the nurse when visiting time was over.
"Well, we've ran some tests, and it looks like he's going to be alright! However, it will be a long time before he can come out of hospital, and he will need a lot of support because the treatment is a long and sometimes distressing process. But the most important thing, is he'll be OK. Count yourselves lucky, Mr Caldwell." She left with a smile. I was such a crybaby, I cried tears of joy. I really needed to stop crying as much. But Dad was going to be OK.

Last edited:
February 24th
Rob Caldwell's Office

*RING RING*
"Hello?" I answered the phone.
"Mr Caldwell? Hi, it's Datuk Ghee, chairman of Cardiff City football club. We were wondering whether you would like to take on our vacant managerial role here?" he spoke. I crumbled.
"Errmm, err., can I call you back. Ever so sorry. Emergency." I stuttered.
"Of course Mr Caldwell, we look forward to hearing from you." he said.
Cardiff! Approached me! I mean, yeah I was top of the league with Wrexham, but OMG! Cardiff. But how I could I abandon the lads, and this club who had given me everything? I really couldn't decide.

Should I stay or should I go? I really cannot decide, because the story is sort of more about Rob than Wrexham. What should I do guys?

Stay with Wrexham. They gave Rob the chance in management and I think they deserve him to be committed to them ;)

Stay with Wrexham. They gave Rob the chance in management and I think they deserve him to be committed to them ;)
cool mate, will give it a huge think but I'm swaying to wrexham anyways, I will wait for another opinion before I decide

rejected it guys. want to at least get promoted before leaving tbh