The Alfa Romeo Metaphor

Friendly: AFC Wimbledon v. Abingdon Town

View attachment 418087Semi-pros Abingdon Town visited Kingsmeadow this Wednesday to give us a chance to implement some of the things we've been working on in training.

I wanted to accomplish several things:
  1. Give Loveridge and Smith easy opposition so they'll start to get into some good habits.
  2. Try Harry Pell as the advanced playmaker.
  3. Try Adam Pepper as left midfield.
  4. Play Barlaser in the middle.
  5. Give Dummigan, Baldwin, Tomlinson and Barlaser some minutes.
Here's the starters:

GK: Chris Dunn
D: Cameron Dummigan, Pat Baldwin, Andy Frampton (C), Kris Thackray
M: George Francomb, Steven Gregory, Harry Pell, Adam Pepper
F: James Loveridge, Michael Smith

They played like ****. Baldwin was a nervous nelly, Pell jogged around calling for the ball but never did anything useful when he got it and Pepper played as if he'd no idea what to do. And don't get me started on Loveridge and Smith. Fkn A. At least put in the effort. Sheesh.

Abingdon Town were trying their best and as you can see by the number of cards, it got a little chippy. My players were definitely frustrated, but unable/unwilling to work harder and beat these guys.

At halftime I told the starters that what I'd just seen wasn't good enough and that I wanted to see something different in the second half.

I did.

Barlaser ran the midfield pretty well considering he's 17 and has only been working on it for two weeks. Tomlinson worked hard and always got in the right place at the right time.

Jack Midson worked hard created chances for Charlie Strutton and himself and his goal was deserved.

Afterward, I told them they would need to do better than this against Morecambe.

Last edited:
My phone jangled. I picked it up. It was Paco.

"How are you?" I asked in Spanish.

"Very good," he replied. "How is London treating you? Have you lost your tan, yet?"

"Hah, nearly. How's the Yellow Submarine looking this season?"

"Everyone is saying we're going to finish first," Paco replied. "Did you hear we signed Martin Petrov?"

"Mother Mary of God," I exclaimed. "He's my age. I had no idea he's still playing? How the **** can you afford his wages?"

"Apparently, we got a cut rate because of our glorious weather."

"I really am going to miss the weather," I replied. "I've been here maybe, I don't know, two months and it's rained all day 20 days. Like a third of all days."

"The wife sends her best," he said.

"Thanks, I've got to take a winter break down there if possible," I said. "How's the pressure now that it's not just promotion places but top spot?"

"Gay is developing all kinds of facial tics," he replied. "And preseason is not even over. I think he's very uncomfortable. We're your staff. He was not allowed to fire us and hire new staff because of our desperate financial situation."

"And that hasn't changed?"

"No."

We chatted for a while longer. I told him about my new staff, new squad, my flat, Gwen, stalker boy and etc. He explained how they more or less had a whole new defense and how everyone was wondering if they'd be able to deliver in the big games.

I sure am glad I'm not in that pressure cooker anymore. Wimbledon are so calmly and well run by comparison. Night and day.

League Two: Morecambe FC v. AFC Wimbledon

We hopped on the team bus at 9AM for the ride to Euston station where we had a car to ourselves on the Glasgow bound train that stopped in Lancaster. A whole bunch of supporters were on the train with us. We cheered each other on as some walked through our car. From Lancaster we had a bus contracted to take us to Morecambe's new Globe Arena. We arrived just after 1:30PM giving us plenty of time to stretch and warm up.

View attachment 417812The Globe was finished in 2010 and compared to places I visited in Spain last season is "quite posh" as a player remarked as we walked into the away changing room.

Hanks, Wools and Rachubka all agreed that Barlaser should start as the pivot and Midson should partner Smith up top. First off, they'd played well in the friendly. Even if they play poorly, Adam Pepper and James Loveridge could always come off the bench. Regardless, it would send a message.

D: Kris Thackray, Reuben Hazell, Andy Frampton (C), James Fenlon
M: George Francomb, Steven Gregory, Daniel Barlaser, Chris Arthur
F: Jack Midson, Michael Smith

Subs: Daniel Lincon (GK), Pat Baldwin (D), Cameron Dummigan (D), Mark Tomlinson (M), Adam Pepper (M), Simon Johnson (M), James Loveridge (F)

My team talk was simple: "Impress me. These guys are struggling. Let's kick them hard while their down, eh? I want to attack early and often. I have faith that we can dictate the pace and control this match."

We opened quite positively sending Francombe down the right. From the touchline line deep in Shrimper territory, he passed inside to Thackray. Thacks dribbled into the box and looked confused about what he ought to do. He looked up and saw Barlaser standing all alone top of the box.

Barlaser's one-timer hit Smith who was standing in an offside position.

The Morecambe keeper hoofed the ball forward and Frampton won the header. Gregory got to the knockdown first and passed to Danny Boy. Danny played a slide rule pass into the path of Chris Arthur who made run between the right fullback and center back. He shot just wide.

Morecambe played Route One from the goal kick resulting in a shot wide by their lone striker Padraig Amond.

In the 5th minute another Route One knockdown set Amond free. Dunn dove left and blocked the shot out wide left. Shrimper right mid Mark Wright got their first and crossed. Thackray headed clear at the far post. The ball went to Morecambe's Andy Fleming who passed across the top of the box to Ryan Williams. He shot tamely wide from 25 yards.

Both teams charged back and forth across the field creating chances and corners.

We got our breakthrough in the 14th minute.

We'd broken down our right flank, but Francomb got bottled up and passed back to Thacks. He hit a long pass across the top of the box to Fenlon. Barlaser had made a run into the box expecting a cross, but dropped back to recieve a pass from Fenlon. Danny Boy slid a pass to Francomb just inside the box. George dribbled around a defender then poked the ball into Smith's path.
View attachment 417810
Smith blasted the ball into the back of the net then ran over to the Wombles massed behind the goal.

1-0

Unfortunately, the Shrimpers answered with a goal of their own nearly immediately.

Williams and Danny Boy tangled for ball in midfield. Williams won. He tapped the ball to their defensive midfielder who played a ball up to their right winger Wright who'd cut inside. Wright fed Amond who held up the ball.

Frampton, Hazell and Gregory were all watching Amond and didn't notice Andy Fleming's late run. Amond played in Fleming who even up the score with a nicely placed shot past Dunn.

1-1

All three of them didn't need to defend Amond. Hanks and I looked at each other and shrugged.

We nearly took the lead back instantaneously. Danny Boy lasered another seeing eye pass between defenders giving Midson a clear shot on goal from 15 yards. He hit the post.

In the 24th minute, Smith's header from a Francomb corner hit the crossbar.

In the 32nd minute, we worked the ball up the left flank and teed up Danny Boy but he got too excited and blasted over.

It rained hard for the remainder of the half and neither team did much other than dirty their uniforms.

"Listen, we're playing well," I said once everyone was inside the away locker room. "We're moving the ball really well and creating lots of chances. Keep it up."

The rain continued to pour down for the start of the second half. Neither team was doing much. At 55 minutes, I had Simon Johnson, Loveridge and Adam Pepper warm up.

At 60 minutes, replaced Arthur with Johnson and Midson with Loveridge. If we could just get the ball to Loverboy's feet and get him running at their D, we'd create plenty of chances.

While my subs didn't contribute to the build up, Francombe got chopped down in the box from behind in one of those what the **** was he thinking tackles. The ref immediately pointed to the spot. Loverboy jogged over and picked up the ball and set it on the penalty spot.

As Loveridge was placing the ball, it stopped raining.

The ref blew his whistle, the keeper started diving to his right and Loveridge placed a shot to the keeper's left.

1-2

Morecambe thumped the ball forward toward Amond from the restart. We got control back and brought it back up the left flank through Arthur. He beat their right back Andy Parrish who fouled him. Francomb jogged across the pitch and teed up the ball from around 40 yards out.

He hit a long curler to the back post which Reuben Hazell smashed home.

1-3

No he didn't. He did. Fkn A! Linesman raised his flag. Offside. ****, **** and double ****. I got Pepper up again to warm up. Danny Boy was tiring.

1-2

We continued to press. We set up Smith for a shot and header in the 67th and 68th minutes. Couldn't convert.

After Smith's header in the 68th went over the bar, I replaced Daniel Barlaser with Adam Pepper.

In the 73rd minute, we got a real scare. Gregory wasn't covering as much territory as earlier and they played through the middle and slid a pass into the right channel for Amond.

His shot was destined for the upper right corner, but Dunn saved our bacon with a strong, cross-hand leaping save the redirected the laser-guided missile around the post. But just barely.

I started hollering that I wanted them to switch to a 451. Smith was to drop back into the midfield and throw his weight around. Time to park the bus.

After we cleared the corner, I got Gregory and Pepper's attention and told them to get not let anyone get past them.

We began the process of fouling them whenever they'd done anything dangerous. We never had any trouble dealing with their high balls into the box.

Their best chance came in the 88th minute. They'd worked the ball down the right flank and Fenlon had tackled the ball out for a throw. Parrish their right back threw it in to Wright. Fenlon and Johnson gave him nowhere to go so he played back up the line to their central midfielder Williams.

Williams crossed fields to their left back, Grant Basey. As Francomb charge out, Basey had time to control, look up and then unleash a shot.

It whistled just wide of the post.

View attachment 417806We kept them at bay for the remaining regular time and 3 minutes of extra time.

We all jogged over to the travelling Wombles and thanked them for their support.

"Good win, boys, well done!" I said once everyone was in the locker room. "We could have won by a lot more, but, bottom line, we created tons of chances and held the lead. Good job."

"Seven points is a good return from our first three matches," I said. "Lemme check the other results."

"Only York City are perfect," I continued. "Only Wycombe and Rotherham have 7 points. Let's get showered and go catch our train home."

Gwen texted me that she and some friends were going to be meeting at one of their favorite restaurants on Edgware in Marylebone. She gave me the address and I was to catch a cab at Euston.

"Not getting on the bus?" Hanks asked as

"Nope, going out to dinner," I replied.

"Wait, what?" he asked. "You've been here less than three months, you claimed at some point to not know anyone."

"What can i say," I shrugged.

"What you can say Hanks," said Rachubka. "Is may I have lessons in the fine art of picking up women?"

"I doubt Don Pucci could help Hanks," Captain Frampton added. "He's English, you know."

"I'm just gonna go now," I said. "Let you paesanos gossip your little hearts out. See you tomorrow at 1."

I left to a chorus of 'Evening, boss' and 'Buenasera, Don Pucci' and etc.

I could get used to this lifestyle again. It certainly felt like the old Alfa was purring like a brand new car again. Dating a stylish, young woman. Going clubbing often. Except I didn't need to travel to Milan to get the cosmopolitan lifestyle.

I'm not going to fool myself that I have endless money like before nor am I in my twenties anymore. But it's still fun.

View attachment 417575"Boys, I have some news," I said as Lil sat down to complete coach's cabal. "I've offered a contract to Matteo Nole."

Blank stares. Rachubka looked at Lil for some help. Lil shrugged.

"I know, I know, I'm not being fair," I continued. "I know of him from my days in Italy. He's a left-footed speedster. He's frightening when at full speed with the ball at his feet and his crossing is deadly. We aren't getting any crosses into Smith. Nole will do that."

"Does he speak any English?" Hanks asked.

"None whatsoever," I replied.

"Who has he played for?" Wools asked.
View attachment 417574
"A bunch of Serie C teams," I replied.

"There's two of them, right? Comparable to League One and League Two?" Lil asked.

I nodded.
"What about Simon Johnson and Chris Arthur," Hanks asked.

View attachment 417573"Well, with how good Barlaser is I was thinking of selling Harry Pell," I said. "I've not been impressed and he's pretty highly valued, right Lil?"

Lil nodded.

View attachment 417572

Thursday 21 August, 2014

"Alright, let' not pull a Bologna," I said. "Matteo lands in an hour."

"I can drive," Captain Andy Frampton. "Coz you can't."

"Will I fit in one of the car seats?" I teased. Andy had a mini van. He had three kids.

"I think they are removable, Enrico," Chairman Erik Samuelson said as we walked out the door. "Can you even imagine forgetting to send someone to pick up your new signing?"

I shook my head. I was still baffled despite the inquest and firings.

We talked about football in Italy, children (though I couldn't contribute that much) and team dynamics while we drove to Heathrow. We parked and walked to the spot outside customs where Nole would appear.

"His plane has landed," I said after consulting the airline's website on my phone. "Now he's just got to get through customs and get his bags."

We people watched and occasionally chatted while we waited.

And then there he was. Andy saw him first. He was pulling a cart with four large bags on it. We all waved like idiots to get his attention.

"Good afternoon, Matteo, welcome to London," I said in Italian. He smiled and nodded. "I'd like you to meet Wimbledon Chairman Erik Samuelson and Club Captain Andy Frampton."

We all shook hands. We chatted about his flight, his family and Erik told him about the process of getting him settled. I translated.

We got him into his hotel and signed the paperwork at a nearby Greek restaurant that Erik recommended. The restaurant was Matteo's choice.

WOMBLEblog.co.uk
Pucci signs Italian speed merchant Matteo Nole

Thrash
22 August 2014 12:49

View attachment 417412Matteo Nole is fast. He an dribble. He can cross. Manager Enrico Pucci was apparently not satisfied with Charles Arthur and Simon Johnson on the left flank.

"I'm very pleased to welcome Matteo to the club," Pucci said. "We're very excited he wanted to join this project."

Project is the latest trendy word managers use. Every manager uses it. I have no idea what it means.

Pucci was asked if Nole would be thrown straight into the deep end this Saturday against Scumthroat.

"Yes, I know he just got off the plane, but he'll be ready," Pucci responded.

Nole doesn't speak any English. He smiles nicely, though. I'm not sure either matter. Hopefully he speaks the universal language of football. Except the Italians call it Calcio. We'll see how this works.

Nole has bounced around the lower leagues:

2013-14 Lucchese Libertas - Serie C2B 35m, 3g, 9a
2012-13 Borgo a Buggiano - Serie C2B 30m, 3g, ?a
2011-12 Pontedera - Serie D 33m, 8g
2010-11 Tuttocuoio - Serie D 32m, 6g
2009-10 Poggibonsi - Serie C2B 29m, 1g
2008-09 Poggibonsi - Serie C2B 30m, 2g
2007-08 Sansovino - Serie C2B 32m, 3g
2006-07 Sansovino - Serie C2B 19m, 1g
2005-06 Sansovino - Serie C2B 30m, 0g
2004-05 Sansovino - Serie C2B 34m, 0g
2003-04 Pisa - Serie C1B 2m, 0g
2002-03 Fucecchio - Serie D 20m, 2g

We'll see how he adapts. First test: Saturday against Scumthroat.

League Two: Scunthorpe United FC v. AFC Wimbledon

Scunthorpe is more or less almost all the way up the A1 to Leeds except take a right and head towards the coast. It's not quite as far as Morecambe, but we're taking the train this time, too. It's much quicker. We hopped on the team bus at 10:45AM for the ride to King's Cross station. We too the Leeds-bound train to Doncaster then switched trains for the Scunthorpe-bound one. We had hired a bus to meet us at the station and take us to Glanford Park. We arrived an hour and a half before kickoff.

Lil thinks The Iron's defense is weak. Their left back is slow as are their center back pairing. While their right back is quick, Lil doesn't think he offers much of anything else. I decided to take a risk and attack with a 442.

D: Kris Thackray, Reuben Hazell, Andy Frampton (C), James Fenlon
M: George Francomb, Steven Gregory, Daniel Barlaser, Matteo Nole

Subs: Daniel Lincoln (GK), Pat Baldwin (D), Cameron Dummigan (D), Mark Tomlinson (M), Adam Pepper (M), Simon Johnson (M), Charlie Strutton (F)

"Make sure we don't give their strikers much room to breathe," I said to start off my pre-game talk. "Give Stockley and the Icelandic kid Larusson plenty of special sauce."

"Get the balls out to the flanks so that George and Matteo can attack from out there," I continued. "That's where they're weakest. I want to see crosses in to Smith."

Both teams moved the ball up and down the field, but neither did anything threatening.

In the 9th minute, Gregory wins a tackle and plays the ball out to Fenlon. Fenlon taps it forward to Nole. Makes a couple of feints to see if his defender will bite. He doesn't. So he whips in a cross with no run up and minimal backswing. That was pretty cool to see.

The defense cleared it but right to Danny Boy. Danny spots and gap and dribbles into it. He goes around a defender and then he's in the box. The defender he just beat stupidly reaches out and grabs a handful of shirt.

Tweeeet!

Penalty!

0-1

Loveridge converts.

Now we've gotten into the habit of giving up goals soon after we score. I got Gregory and Frampton's attention and warned them to batten down the hatches and make sure we don't concede.

We do.

They'd won a corner (to our right side) in the 18th minute. Their left back Andy Dawson whips in the cross right into the meat grinder. I'm not sure who cleared it out, but we did. Unfortunately, Yohann Lasimant (RM) was standing at the top of the box. He headed the ball back toward our net and Jayden Stockley outjumped everyone for a flick header.

Now, Chris Dunn is 6'5". If he was standing on the goal line, he could have easily reached up and caught the ball. But he'd taken a step out and was suddenly unable to jump. He flailed at it with his arms rather than moving his feet and the ball drifted over his head and into the net.

1-1

Okay, bad luck. Momentary lapse of concentration by Dunn.

Danny Boy had a teachable moment in the 18th minute. He had possession inside the center circle in our half. He had options left, right and Smith was showing for a pass. Instead he tried to play the Hollywood ball over the top for Loverboy. The keeper jogged over, scooped up the ball on the second hop and thundered a punt deep into our half. Fenlon headed it but right to Stockley. Stockley took a couple of steps and unleashed a missile that nearly shattered the crossbar.

"DANIEL!" I yelled. He looked over. "You had short options. Left and right. Smith was showing for a pass. Use them."

He nodded.

Disaster struck in the 35th minute. From a corner, Gregory headed powerfully past Dunn. He was tracking back with the Scunthorpe player he was covering, lost his balance midleap and the ball hit his head.

2-1

Both teams raced up and down the pitch creating chances but never connecting with that final pass or like in the 39th minute, waffling a weak shot wide. Both Fenlon and Gregory decided to step up and shut down Scunthorpe's Icelandic Sensation (I'm being facetious). He beat them both on the dribble and played a pass into the space Fenlon vacated at left back. Thankfully, Stockley filled his pants when he should have scored.

Thackray managed to finally stop the Icelandic Sensation, but by chopping him down out on our right flank. We lined up at the edge of the box and everything looked good. But Dawson played the ball into the middle for Gray. He controlled the pace and jogged forward looking for options. This is when we completely fell apart.
View attachment 417202
Nobody went out to challenge him, but waited for him at the edge of our box. Just as he reached the edge of the box and the three Wimbledon defenders he flicked the ball into the middle where four of his teammates were waiting.

Frampton bravely leapt into the breach with a desperate tackle. Unfortunately, The Icelandic Sensation was first to the loose ball. Thacks and Hazell watched as he zipped a shot under Dunn.

3-1

I barely had time to remove my palm from my face when Scunthorpe struck again.

We lost the ball quickly after the restart, the Icelandic Sensation (we were making him look Cantona-esque) came back to receive a pass about 35 yards out from our goal. He turned and played a pass into the space behind Thackray. Thacks was ball-watching and didn't see his man, the left midfielder making a run behind him.

4-1

Nice shot by Gray, nice goal.

I resisted the urge to facepalm as like with crossing your eyes, you might get stuck that way.

"WHAT THE **** WAS THAT!" I hollered after I'd slammed the door shut. "I AM NOT HAPPY! THAT'S THE UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE MUTHERFKN CENTURY! THEY BEAT US TO EVERY LOOSE BALL. WE BALL-WATCHED. WE LET THAT ICELANDIC KID LOOK LIKE ERIC MUTHAFKN CANTONA! NOBODY IS MOVING THEIR FEET OUT THERE. THEY ARE OUTWORKING US."

"I could care less about own goals," I said calming down slightly. "**** happens. That kind of **** evens out over the course of the year. And that first goal was a freak goal. I'm not angry because of either of those goals."

"I'm furious because nobody outworks me," I continued. "I didn't make it in Serie A because of my sexy ball tricks, my fabulous hair and, yes, I had a curly mop back then or my muthafkn Alfa Romeo I drove to and from training. I made it because I outworked anyone who challenged me for my spot and anyone I faced on the field. I concentrated hard and never let any detail slip."

"I just brought Matteo to London put him on a train for two plus hours for what? So he can touch the ball twice?" I continued. "George, how many times did you get the ball."

"Three, four times?" he replied. He seemed uncertain.

"Isn't that a problem that he can count his touches on one hand?" I asked rhetorically.

"C'mon, lads," Captain Frampton interjected. "Let's pull our panties up and start playing. He's right they're first to everything. That has to end. Let's start by getting the ball out wide and seeing what George and Matteo can do."

We started the second half brightly. Much like against Wolves. We got to those 50-50 balls first and passed intelligently. We were rewarded in the 50th minute.

Smith came back and got a pass from Gregory. He spun, saw Danny Boy and Loverboy up ahead and left. He buzzed a pass along the grass that Danny Boy let slip between his legs. The dummy froze their defender and Loveridge was in alone.

4-2

Maybe we were back in it? I didn't get my hopes up but at least we were playing again.

We pressed and pressed. Scunthorpe hit us on the counter, but we had to take the risks.

It all became irrelevant on a corner we needed to defend in the 56th minute. The match as a competitive affair came to an end.

Frampton let his man, Callum Howe, the opposing center back get free at the back post. Dawson whipped in a back post special. Howe had a standing free header from 3 yards out. He didn't miss. I doubt anyone will have an easier goal all season.

5-2

Frampton put both hands to his face as he realized he'd been ball-watching.

I sent on Cameron Dummigan to replace Frampton.

View attachment 417194"I had to send a message," I said as Frampton trudged dejectedly past me.

"I know, Don, I know," he replied.

Both sides were playing out their hands, nobody taking any risks. You've seen this all countless times before. Then the red mist, as they like to say on this island, descended on Haz in the 88th minute.

He chopped down Stockley from behind rather viciously and was deservedly carded. He had some words with the ref which I couldn't hear as they were face to face. It was pretty clear that the ref was unhappy with what he said and warned him.

A minute later and another ball gets passed to Stockley, Haz reaches around to poke it away and stands on Stockley's foot as he reached in to get the ball. It really wasn't all that bad of a tackle.

But then he had to say something. Just had to get the last word in. And that earned him a second yellow and an early shower.

Dummigan got carded to give us 6 cards for the day. That'll get us a fine. Shee It.

"Alright," I said once everyone was sitting down. "That second half was better. We showed spirit and worked hard. It's the little details that make or break you. Nearly all of you had a mental lapse out there. It's those little details of your jobs that are vitally important."

"I'm very interested in how this squad responds to this defeat," I continued. "That is what is most important."

"Killers tomorrow morning at 9AM," I concluded.

It was a very quiet train ride home.

Last edited:
WOMBLEblog.co.uk
Everything falls apart

Thrash
23 August 2014 12:49

View attachment 417057I traveled all the way up to Lincolnshire for what? As much fun dental surgery with watered down beer as anesthesia.

Let me start by listing who sucked:
  • Goalkeeper Chris Dunn
  • the entire back four
  • Steven Gregory
And since their supposed to be the ones keeping the ball out of our net, it's no surprise we gave up 5 to Scumthroat.

If Dunn hadn't fallen down for no apparent reason, they wouldn't have scored their first. Gregory scored with a thundering header. Into our net for their second. Kris Thackray and Reuben Hazell stood and watched while their Iceland teenager scored their third. Thackray forgot the man he was marking who slipped behind him to score for their fourth. And Andy Frampton lost his marker for their fifth despite having nobody around him.

On the other hand, teenager Daniel Barlaser doesn't look out of place running the midfield. He won the penalty and his dummy on a Michael Smith pass sent James Loveridge in alone for our second.

Loveridge converted the penalty and bagged a brace in an altogether unpleasantly memorable afternoon.

New signing Matteo Nole and last Saturday's Man-of-the-Match George Francomb might just as well stayed on the bus. Neither contributed whatsoever.

Was manager Pucci just to naive today? Why did we play such an open game? Should he have played a lone striker and packed the midfield. It's what we did in our first two away matches.

Pucci has a lot to sort out before next Saturday when Rottenham visit Kingsmeadow. Like the entire ****ing defense.

24 August 2014 12:30PM

"The Beeb declares us relegation candidates, Sky Sports says it was a sign, ESPN says we're in trouble and the bloggers say this is just the first of many losses to come," I said.

The players had gone home after training. We'd run killers then worked on defending before watching selected lowlights from the match.

"You read that ****?" Rachubka asked.

"No, I'm paraphrasing my girlfriend," I replied.

"Don't ever trust that Colin Massey from the BBC," Hanks said. "He's a rat****er. He's just got a bat in the cave that he has to cover the lower leagues and not the Prem."

"I'm starting to get that feeling with him," I replied. "But I wanted to meet to talk about the lessons learned from yesterday's match."

"Dunn's kept us in our first three games with some stellar saves," Rachubka said. "He just didn't yesterday."

Everyone nodded.

"I think Steven's own goal really demoralized us," Hanks said. "I think they'd switched off just before half time. Like phew, we survived that, right? Now let's drink some tea and go and get 'em."

"Yeah, we certainly did," I agreed. "We've decided to defend deeply because Haz and Andy are slow. Judging by how far Gray was able to dribble at our defense on the third goal, I think we're parking the bus too deeply."

"And what the **** is going on when you explicitly tell them to get the ball out wide and all we do is play through the middle?" Wools added.

We all shook our heads.

"Maybe too much instruction for how they ought to play?" Hanks wondered.

"So we don't defend so deeply, no instructions about about playing wide, just let them figure it out?" I asked. "That it?"

"I want Loveridge to come back to get the ball more," Wools added. "Keep Smith higher up cos he's great with his back to goal and Lover is better running at the defense with the ball at his feet."

"I know this might sound daft," Rachubka said. "But what about Tomlinson? What about going with teenagers in the center of the park?"

"I've schedule a friendly for Wednesday," I said. "Let's try the teenagers then. Let's adjust our D so they're a wee bit higher up the pitch and Wools I'll leave the offensive adjustments to you, eh?"

"Oh, and one more thing," I added. "Almost forgot. Jack Redshaw. The speedy forward with the knee tendonitis. What're your thoughts on pursuing him?"

We discussed the pros and cons of adding a 5th striker for a while then called it a day.

My phone jangled. I didn't recognize the number.

"Hello?"

"Hey boss, it's Charlie Strutton."

"Hey Charlie, what's going on?"

"I just wanted to talk about where I'm at cos I'm not playing and you've brought in Loveridge and Smith and all," he said. "I don't want to make a fuss about it so I decide to call."

"Thanks for talking to me first," I said.

"I want to be playing or I'll have to move on."

"Well your contract is up next June," I began. "And you are a back-up. You can't expect to be a starter here, but I will say this. It's a long season. You'll get playing opportunities."

"Do you really want an unhappy player disrupting the club?" Charlie asked.

"I'll put you on the loan list, but I think you should hold off making any decisions and see how this goes," I said. "I'll need four strikers. I think we should see how much you've played in a little while."

"I really feel I should be contributing," he said. "I'm not happy with how you've treated me."

"Okay, but I have been clear about where you stand, right?"

"Yeah, but I'm not happy about it."

"See you tomorrow, Charlie."

"Bye."

Click.

Well that decides it. I'll offer Redshaw a contract tomorrow.

Wimbledon's Capital One Cup tormentors Wolves got blasted 3-1 by Sunderland. Our next opponents Rotherham met an equally nasty end at the hands of Newcastle. I hope they're still licking their wounds this coming Saturday.

View attachment 417047

Friendly: AFC Wimbledon v. St. Albans City

Semi-pro club St. Alban's visited Kingsmeadow for a friendly. I wanted to get the ugliness from the Scunthorpe match out of our system and try out my teenagers at the center of the park. Also, we had a number of minor tweaks to our system to work out.

View attachment 416818GK: Chris Dunn
D: Cameron Dummigan, Kris Thackray, Andy Frampton, James Fenlon
M: George Francomb, Mark Tomlinson, Daniel Barlaser, Matteo Nole

30 seconds in and I was already up off the bench.

"CAM, CAM, WHAT WAS THAT?" I shouted after Dummigan launched a 60 yard pass from deep right that bounced over the far goal line. "USE YOUR OPTIONS, DON'T PLAY THE HOLLYWOOD BALL."

Other than that, everyone, included Cam, played exactly how I wanted.

The kids did well in the middle. My forwards scored. Fenlon even scored from inside the box.

I switched everyone at halftime:

GK: Daniel Lincoln
D: Pat Baldwin, Ben Harrison (U18), Reuben Hazell, Patrick Reese (U18)
M: Harry Pell, Steven Gregory, Adam Pepper, Simon Johnson
F: Jack Midson, Charlie Strutton

Haz scored with a nice volley from a corner. That should make him feel a little better as he has to sit out the Rotherham match this Saturday.

Pell was indecisive and ineffective. He had LOADS of opportunities to create something out on the right flank. Strutton didn't do a thing to impress me. I've been negotiating with Aldershot who want Charlie on loan. Gregory, Pepper and Johnson should provide decent service.

Johnson got clattered in the 65th minute and just to be safe, I replaced him soon after.

Back