Hey @cmasseybbc why r u asking about a teenager in my U18s when Mancity
offered 5M for @georgefrancomb? twi.tr/3jJK30Ka #Wimbledon #DD14

Last edited:
View attachment 416155Andy Frampton @andyframpton - 2 Sep
Has sad RT @georgefrancomb Mancity never came thru w bid for me. Would
have been glad to sit on bench for 100k/wk. #Wimbledon #DD14 #4realz

Friendly: AFC Wimbledon v. Canvey Island

View attachment 416100Tuesday, 2 September 2014

I scheduled a friendly for Tuesday so my second string players could play 90 minutes against the semi-pros from Canvey Island.

GK: Daniel Lincoln
D: Patrick Reese (U18), Reuben Hazell, Ben Harrison (U18), Kiel Goodwin (U18)
M: Fabian Rowe (U18), Steven Gregory, Adam Pepper, Simon Johnson
F: Jack Midson, Jack Redshaw

Boy howdy it didn't go well. Redshaw had a handful of decent to good chances, but was rusty. Midson was a smidge better but not terribly convincing. While I admit that my backline was young and inexperienced, we should have been able to outgun the Islanders.

Hazell, Gregory, Pepper, Johnson and Redshaw need to show me they are more than just backups. I'm particularly disappointed with Pepper as he's the only player I paid money for.

Friday, 5 Sep 2014

"We did the shoot today," Gwen said as she sat down in the Alfa.

"Shoot? What? Oh! Right. With John, how'd it go?" I fumbled.

"Well, quite well," she replied. "I think he might be good. We did three different locations. In Hampton Court, next to an abandoned warehouse and in a studio. That warehouse was a decrepit old pile, filthy but might just produce some really, really interesting shots."

"Wow, busy day then, eh? Wait, but what about the rain?"

"We were shooting at the warehouse when it was clouding up and just as it was dripping a wee bit before it got all biblical."

"Okay, I've got to say I have no idea what goes into a photo shoot," I said. "Don't you have lighting and stuff?"

"Well, when it was sunny, we didn't," she replied. "At the warehouse as it got darker, we did on some but not on others. I'm really interested to see how they all turn out."

"Don't you change clothes a lot?" I asked. "How'd you manage that?"

"We had a pop tent in the park and a van at the warehouse," she replied.

"Yeah, that would work I suppose," I asked. "Um, by the way, where are we going?"

"Gillingham more or less," she said. "I have a friend there I haven't seen in ages and we've both got new boys. So head straight two blocks and take a left. It's a little over an hour."

Last edited:
League Two: AFC Wimbledon v. Torquay United FC

I'll be honest. I'm worried about Torquay. They're having a good start to the season, too. They're a place above us because of goal difference. I'm relying on two teenagers to boss the midfield and my ace right back, the teenager Cameron Dummigan, is away on international duty with the Northern Ireland U19s. So Reuben Hazell is back in the side, but I'm playing him at right back.

Lil is not impressed with the Gull's forwards. He assured me that their defense was slow. Regardless, I was feeling nervous about playing an attacking 442. But then I decided that it was either all in or go home. So here's my brave line-up:

GK: Chris Dunn
D: Reuben Hazell, Kris Thackray, Andy Frampton, James Fenlon
M: George Francomb, Mark Tomlinson, Daniel Barlaser, Matteo Nole
F: James Loveridge, Michael Smith

Subs: Daniel Lincoln (GK), Steven Gregory (M), Adam Pepper (M), Harry Pell (M), Simon Johnson (M), Jack Midson (F), Jack Redshaw (F)

Also, I don't have any of my U18 players available because they played last evening. In other words, I don't have Ben Harrison as a reserve defender.

"Last week, we played our game," I said to begin my team talk. "We executed well, concentrated until the game was in the bag. If we play our game, we'll win today, too. I have faith that you defenders can concentrate for the whole ninety. I have faith that you midfielders will control the tempo and play the game our way. James and Mike, we're going to get you the ball, their defense is slow and you guys do the business. Right?"

"Okay, they've pulled a surprise move," I continued. "Their team sheet only has one striker. And he's Tom Hitchcock. Lil's scouting report on him is he's really soft. So he's the only one who gets the special sauce, today. Got it?"

The game started out cautiously. We traded possession in the midfield until Francomb played a pass to Smith who'd come back towards the midfield to get a touch. He one-touched it to Danny Boy. Danny played it right back into his path as he ran forward. Gulls' defender Aaron Downes stepped up to intercept the pass but Smith did a magic trick. The trick is called the extendo-leg. Somehow, Smith reached out and poked the ball between Downes legs just as Downes reached the ball.

Smith now had time to line up his shot and beat the surprised keeper from 16 yards. Downes was in shock, too.

1-0 I looked up at the clock. 7 minutes in. Nice. But would we revert to our earlier, bad ways and give up a goal right away?

Nope.

Now, Torquay brought the ball down into our end, but couldn't get past our double ranks of four. When they won a corner, we cleared easily.

Their momentum didn't last long and we set into a period of exchanging the ball in the midfield. Quite boring football, I must say. But what the heck, they weren't getting near our goal and we had the lead. This pattern of play kept up for the remainder of the first half.

In the locker room I told them they were playing well, but could do much better. I urged them to keep the ball moving with short, crisp passes. "Make them chase the ball," I urged them.

It paid dividends soon after we kicked off. We camped in their half and moved the ball back and forth across the top of the box, exploring for opening on the flanks. Hazell (playing RB) played across to Danny Boy who one-timed a pass to Tomlinson. Tomlinson unleashed a tomahawk missile of a shot which the keeper just watched bulge the net. An absolute screamer from 25 yards. His first ever goal and what a memorable one.

2-0

No, wait! Referee Whitestone was giving the Gulls a free kick. The cheering turned to whistles and boos. Smith, Loveridge, Francomb and Hazell all gathered around the ref asking what the foul was for. The ref said something that I couldn't hear.

1-0

"What the **** was that for?" I yelled to the fourth official over the din.

"A push," he replied.

"What push and who did it?"

"I couldn't catch who over your players' whingeing," he replied.

I continued to try and get clarification on what the ref called when I glanced at the pitch and noticed the Francomb was writhing on the pitch.

"What just happened?" I asked the bench. "I wasn't looking?"

"Their left back pole-axed him," Hanks replied.

"Let me guess," I said to the fourth official over the whistling and booing that had resumed. "That wasn't a foul."

"You weren't watching."

"But they were and so were the fans," I said pointing to my bench first and the crowd second.

Surprisingly, he didn't reply. Typical. We kicked it out for a throw so Francomb could receive some magic sponge and freezy spray.

"Simon, warm up," I said. George was trying to walk off the knock but he wasn't moving well.

In the 50th minute, it was obvious Francombe needed to come off. I just needed a pause. I didn't get one until the 55th. Danny played a high ball up to Smith. He leapt and flicked it behind the defense and into the path of Loveridge. Loverboy raced onto the ball, lined up his shot and curled it just wide of the far right post.

And then I got to swap Francomb for Johnson.

64 minutes in and Torquay yanked the ineffectual Hitchcock and replaced him with the less talented Sam Williams. Lil had told me not to worry about him if they brought him on.

In the 70th minute, James Fenlon tumbled over a rough challenge about 26-28 yards out to the left of goal. The ref blew for the foul. Normally, Francomb took our free kicks, but since he was out, Simon Johnson trotted over.

Francomb, Loveridge, Smith and Thackeray all lined up for a far post special as Simon fiddled with the ball placement until he had it where he liked it.

Johnson didn't deliver a far post curler. Instead he curled a looping, dipping shot that hit the inside of the left post and went in!

2-0

If the Gulls had been posing any threat, I would have considered pulling either striker for an extra midfielder, but they'd been unable to take advantage of their extra numbers in midfield all match.

And the trend continued.

In the 74th minute, Tomlinson nicked the ball off of Torquay and fed Barlaser. He played a ball up to Smith. Smith turned and began lumbered at his defender. Downes had been cautious since the extendo-leg trick and gave Michael plenty of space.

Now Loveridge did something rather odd. Instead of running across to draw away the defender or running out left to pull his defender away. He ran up ahead as if he expected to receive the pass. In other words, you could have thrown a blanket over both our strikers.

View attachment 415441Just as Smith crossed into the box, he feinted left then right. Downes bit on the feint right and froze. Smith simply tapped the ball over to Loverboy as if to say 'there you greedy little *****, you shoot then.' Loveridge did and smashed it past the keeper.

3-0

Vini. Vidi. Vici.

Go home Torquay, you're toast.

I made some substitutions. Pepper for Barlaser. Gregory in at left back as Fenlon looked gassed.

I hope you continue this story as it is the best on FM Base by a country mile! Its a shame you do not get as much feedback as other story writers on this forum! But I love this story and long may it continue. Keep up the great work!

I hope you continue this story as it is the best on FM Base by a country mile! Its a shame you do not get as much feedback as other story writers on this forum! But I love this story and long may it continue. Keep up the great work!

Thank you very much. And I'm blushing again.

"Lil, what do we need to know about Barnet?" I asked to begin the coach's meeting.

"They're rubbish," he replied. "Utter rubbish. "They won their first match and have lost the next five. They're slow except for the right midfielder, but Fens can handle him fine. Hit them early and they'll fall apart."

"Anything else?" I asked.

"No."

"That might be the shortest report ever. Whitney?"

"Baldwin will be back in training by the weekend, but he won't be fit," Jon Whitney, team physio, replied. "Have you heard from Cam?"

"Yeah, he didn't play for the U21s so he'll be back in training Thursday morning," I replied. "I want to focus on our defense this week. Yeah, I know Barnet are rock bottom, but our focus will rotate between D, offense and team cohesion, right?"

"And you all know we have the Andover Town friendly on Tuesday to give our second stringers a practice match," I added. Everyone nodded.

"I got one concern," Hanks said rather tentatively. "It's not what you might call a major concern, but shouldn't we be complimenting Smith and Lovers and Dunn and Georgey and all? Boost their confidence and all that?"

"Good point," I replied. "Smith and Lovey look so good because of the service they get. So, really, I'd need to compliment Danny, Mark, Matteo, George, Fens and Cam, too. And Dunn's job is to save our bacon when our defense lapses. What I mean to say is I'm trying to build up a team spirit that everyone is pulling their weight and doing their tasks and that when we all do our tasks well, we win."

"The managers I liked best rarely singled players out," I concluded. "Plus, I want to avoid any favoritism or any appearance of any **** like that. And watch them on the pitch and in the room after the match. Andy and Haz and Dunn and Gregory and Midson are all doing that."

"Right O, boss," Hanks said. "Thanks for explaining that."

"Not a problem," I replied.

Then we all got up and started getting everything ready for the upcoming training.

Last edited:
"Hey, Enrico, you got a minute?" Mark Tomlinson said to me as training was ending. Nobody around here called me Enrico. Boss, Gaffer or Guvnah occasionally, The Don sometimes, but not my given name.

"Mark, what's up?" I asked.

"Um, I have a problem," he said then paused searching for the right way to say it or something.

"Hey, I'm here to help," I said. "What's going on?"

He stood there looking at his feet for a moment. He wasn't searching for the right way to say something, he was obviously trying to build up the courage to say something.

I waited.

"C'mon, Mark," I said finally. "Let's walk. Whatever it is, it's okay or if you need an attorney or whatever they call them over here we'll get you one."

He didn't even smirk, but continued looking at the ground as we started to walk.

"I'm sorry, I was trying to be funny and what you have to say must be serious," I continued. "I'll shut up now."

"I'm gay," he blurted out after about fifteen steps of silence.

"Oh? So what?" I replied.

He looked up at me.

"Jumping Jesus ****ing Christ on a pogo stick, Mark," I said. "I thought you were going to say something like I'm quitting football or I've found Jesus and need to go sell bibles at the train stations or I've murdered someone."

"Really?"

"Or something like that."

"Oh," he said and looked back down at his feet. "I just thought ..."

Silence.

"I mean, you know that there's the banter in the changing room and all that and I'm really worried that it'll be like in school," he said.

"Well, first, I'm not sure any of them would give a ****, either," I said. "And if anyone gave you **** or bullied you or whatever and I caught them or found out, well, it'd be pretty bad."

"You've read AFC Wimbledon's code of conduct, right?" I asked. He nodded. "We're trying to make this the kind of organization that is accepting of anyone. It's kind of visionary in many ways."

"I was hoping it might really be that way," he said. "And not fancy words that mean nothing."

"Listen," I said. "I had a friend in High School back in the States come out to me. Back then it nearly killed him. Times have changed since then."

"I got bullied growing up cuz I was small," I continued. "That's where I developed my psychotic streak. Being psychotic can come in handy in your role. But, seriously, if you decide to come out to more people than me, we'll need a plan. Do you have people, other gay men, who you can count on? If you totally come out, there will be abuse from the stands. You will have to be prepared for that."

"I know," he said.

"If you want to keep this a secret, your secret is safe with me," I said. "Whatever you do, I support you 100%."

"Thanks, Enrico," he said.

Friendly: AFC Wimbledon v. Andover Town

View attachment 414428Tuesday September 9, 2014

Another run out for my second stringers. I'm hoping Gregory, Johnson, Pepper and Redshaw start looking better. I'll need them playing well at some point.

GK: Daniel Lincoln
D: Patrick Reese (U18), Reuben Hazell, Ben Harrison (U18), Kiel Goodwin (U18)
M: Fabian Rowe (U18), Steven Gregory, Adam Pepper, Simon Johnson
F: Jack Midson, Jack Redshaw

It went better against the semi-pros from Andover than against Canvey Island. We pretty much camped outside of their box and tried to find a way to create a chance.

Midson got chopped down rather clumsily and converted the penalty, Reese smashed a pretty decent shot from 20 yards and Redshaw had a tap in from 3 yards out after a great play by Midson.

Gregory, Johnson, Midson, Pepper and Redshaw all played decently.

Harry Pell and Drissa Dabre got some minutes but neither looked they had any ability or any confidence. Again.

Last edited:
WOMBLEblog.co.uk
Potential banana peel awaits in the burrough of Harrow

Thrash
12 September 2014 17:02

View attachment 414369I'm really dreading this match tomorrow. Barnretch are rock bottom of League 2. The newly promoted side are struggling. Badly. Five straight losses and confidence is completely absent. Burnit have apparently even called in a shaman for help.

On the other hand, my beloved Wimbledon are flying high under the management of our new Italian manager who is also American at the same time, Enrico Pucci. His strike force of Smith and Loveridge look unstoppable. Our defense looks half decent. The midfield is being bossed by two teenagers. We have wingers on either flank who look dangerous every time they build up a head of steam.

And I'm ready to fill my pants out of dread.

No, really.

You know how this goes. After a pleasant tube ride we stroll into The Hives and catch a nasty rash of overconfidence. The Burnt Armpits with their mouth-breathing, hirsute ankle biters sneak a couple of early goals and everything falls apart. Smith is crying and asking why Loveridge hates him and won't answer his texts. Dunn, Frampton, Fenlon, Hazell and Thackray can't remember who each other are and why they've ventured into this peculiar burrough in which everyone's eyebrows are so prominent and hairy. Our teenagers come down with particularly nasty cases of acne and decide to learn Italian so they can speak with Matteo Nole instead of play football.

So be careful as you venture forth into the northwestern burroughs of our fair city. Not all parts are so fair. This team says they are from the burrough of Barnet, but they're not. They are liars. And the pies smell like old socks and I swear upon the King James Bible that they water their beer down so badly its virtually indistinguishable from watered down horse urine.

Regardless, I'll see you all in Harrow. I'll be the immense, sober bloke smelling like excrement and pie and looking like he's ready to weep in despair at the slightest provocation.

League Two: Barnet FC v AFC Wimbledon

View attachment 414295It took our bus driver under an hour to navigate to The Hive stadium where Barnet FC play in the burrough of Harrow.

The facilities are new. All of us always appreciate.

I decided to go with the same back four as last match. Hey, we shut out Torquay so why change? Also, Adam Pepper did something to his thigh and is out maybe two weeks.

GK: Chris Dunn
D: Reuben Hazell, Kris Thackray, Andy Frampton (C), James Fenlon
M: George Francomb, Mark Tomlinson, Daniel Barlaser, Matteo Nole
F: James Loveridge, Michael Smith

Subs: Daniel Lincoln (GK), Cameron Dummigan (D), Steven Gregory (M), Harry Pell (M), Simon Johnson (M), Jack Midson (F), Jack Redshaw (F)

"Let's keep on doing all the good things we did last week against Torquay," I said to start my pre-game talk. "Fens, watch their right midfielder. He's probably their best player. I have faith that you guys in the defense can shut them down. Lil says they're going to play a 4411. Let's give their forward and their man-in-the-hole the special sauce."

"I want you guys to hang back, don't overcommit on offense," I continued. "We'll hit them on the counter. Let them fall apart. Don't give them any chances. The stats say that they're more vulnerable in the second half, we'll hit them hard then. Okay?"

The game began with Barnet right midfielder George Porter getting Fenlon twisting this way and that before whipping in a dangerous cross. Frampton headed the ball clear but right to their attacking midfielder Tom Hopper. Hopper volleyed just wide of Dunn's left post. I'm pretty sure that Dunn had it covered.

In the 4th minute, Haz played a pass up the line to Francomb. George played a give-n-go with Barlaser and then passed up to Smith. Smith turned his defender and raced goalwards. The keeper charged out and Smith tried to chip him. The ball landed on top of the netting.

In the 12th minute, Barlaser played a pass up to Loveridge. Bee's center back Maxime Blanchard scissor-tackled Loveridge taking ball and man.

"WHAT WAS THAT?" I screamed at the ref. "FOUL! FOUL! FOUL!"

I then walked over and had a useless conversation with the fourth official about what constitutes illegal tackles.

Out of the corner of my eye and saw Tomlinson crunch into a Barnet player, get away with it and play a ball back to Haz. Haz passed up the line to Francomb. George played a ball into Smith at the top of the box.

With his back to goal, Smith spun his defender took a couple of touches and blasted a ball into the side netting.

0-1

In the 24th minute, Danny played a ball up to Loveridge. James spun and charged at his defender, beat him and inexplicably then played a ball 20 yards back and to the right to Tomlinson. I realized I was standing there with my palms out asking why he'd done that. Tomlinson played a pass up to Smith who held up the ball and reviewed his options. To the left he had Loveridge moving into a gap between the two central defenders. His defender was tight on his back (which was a mistake last time).

He decided to roll the ball into Loverboy's path. Lovey got absolutey everything he had behind the shot. While he hit it right at the keeper, the keeper would need to raise his hands to block the shot. He only had time to get a fingertip up but was only able to redirect the shot into the underside of the crossbar.

0-2

The crossbar vibrated for quite a while.

Barnet and their fans were clearly demoralized. The Wimbledon fans behind the net where we just scored for a second time started singing:

"Loveridge every minute of it" a slight twist on the Loverboy song from the 80s. Apparently, supporters had made runs on Loverboy songs lately.

Eventually, the Bees got their act together and got the ball up the left flank to Peter Murphy (no, not the singer). Francomb had Haz supporting him yet Murphy beat them both. Thankfully, he couldn't beat Thacks, Andy and Dunn. Dunn made himself large and blocked the shot out for a corner.

Murphy then hoofed the ball over everyone's heads for a throw in on the far side.

Within a few minutes, the game was over for all intents and purposes.

Francomb intercepted a poorly played pass and zipped a pass up to Loveridge. Smith took off running and Loveridge fed a pass to him. Smith took it in stride, saw the keeper advancing and tried another chip.

The ball floated over the stranded keeper and hung there, slowly dropping earthward. It looked like it was heading right at the keeper's right post. It nicked off the inside of the post just below the crossbar and the match was over.

0-3

Our fans began singing "We Got Smithy, You are Sh*tty, let's call the whole thing off." The Barnet fans were silent.

Barnet eventually regrouped and got the ball into our half. Porter crossed and Andy headed clear yet again. Their left back headed the ball across the top of the box to the right-sided central midfielder. He chipped a pass out wide to Murphy. Murphy headed backward and away from our goal to the other central midfiedler. This midfielder one-timed a pass back to Murphy. Haz was, of course, ball-watching. Murphy one-touched a pass to the left back Martin John who had run into the box unmarked.

He hit a low near post shot that Dunn should have blocked but failed to.

1-3

Barnet players ran in and grabbed the ball like this was their lifeline back into the match. Better ****ing not be, I thought to myself. But that was nice movement of the ball, I also thought to myself. Barnet supporters tried to encourage their side.

Smith nearly scored again with 5 minutes to go before halftime.

In the 44th minute, Danny played a ball up to Loveridge. He spun and raced at the defense. Smith was waiting out right for a pass into the right channel. Blanchard stepped up and performed another scissor-tackle. I'm not sure he got any of the ball, but Loveridge lay writhing on the pitch.

"WHAT WAS THAT! WHAT WAS THAT!" I screamed at the ref. "THAT SHOULD BE A RED CARD! RED CARD! THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DON'T PROTECT PLAYERS FROM DIRTY PLAY!"

"That was a clean tackle," Bees manager Colin Lee yelled at me.

"Yeah and you're probably think you're going to win League Two, too," I shot back. "That was straight out of the 1980s."

"Were you even ****ing alive then?" Lee asked.

The fourth official stepped in front of me and I felt hands grab me from behind. My staff were dragging me back to the bench.

"BUNCH OF ****ING HACKS!" I screamed at Lee.

"Shut the **** up before you get tossed," Hanks said to me as Rachhubka and Hanks forcibly sat me down on the bench.

Hanks had already gotten Midson and Redshaw warming up. When Whitney signaled for the switch, I pointed at Redshaw.

"Relax, man," I said to him as he got ready to come on. "Just come deep to get the ball and run at their D. They're slow. I have faith you'll be back on your game in no time."

"Ankle," Whitney said as Loveridge was stretchered past me and straight into the locker room. I could tell from the look on their faces that this was serious.

Fkn A but this would be a huge loss if this was serious.

"Great job out there," I said to begin my halftime talk. "Keep it up. They are going to want to keep the ball and pass it around. They're going to be hoping it will give them some confidence. Let them. Let's just park the bus when they want to do that. Let them pass the ball back and fourth 30 yards out. I couldn't give a **** if they wanted to do that all day."

"When we get the ball, make sure we keep it a while and give the D a chance to catch their breathes," I continued. "You all have done great in the back, but I believe you all can do better in the second half. Keep talking and stay organized and stay compact."

The second half was dull compared to the first. They put Murphy back in central defense to try and stop Smith. His replacement out left was nowhere near as dangerous. Porter was their only dangerman and they only created one decent chance from one of his crosses that clipped the bar.

View attachment 414265Dunn didn't make a save in the second half.

It was dull enough that I checked my iPhone periodically for results. Scunthorpe were losing as were York and both were down by two. Southend were tied. If these results stood, we'd be in first.

"Congrats!" I said walking into the dressing room after talking to the press. "My phone tells me that we're top."

The players cheer.

"How's his ankle, Whits?" I asked.

"We'll see tomorrow morning," Whitney replied.

"I heard it pop, Don," Loveridge replied. "I'll be fine."

Whitney just shrugged.

"Great game management, great commitment, solid concentration, I'm very pleased by how you all played today," I said.

Back