The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Surely must have some kind of backup deal on. Oh and Beckford for £4 mill? Great business by Everton

Feel for you, I really do.

Not only are you losing one of your best players but your barely going to have the money (or time) to get a worthy replacement.

This could also knock the wind out the sails of the other players too. There's a potential for a ripple effect here-especially with the Fellaini contract talks still not sorted. Words cannot say how absolutely gutted I am right now

Arteta has asked to leave but no official transfer request #SSN

Arsenal Football Club has completed the signing of Germany defender Per Mertesacker on a long-term contract for an undisclosed fee.

At 26, the 6ft 6in centre-back has significant experience at both club and international level.

Mertesacker has enjoyed eight seasons in the Bundesliga - five with Werder Bremen and three with Hannover 96 - making 221 league appearances in total and finding the net on 19 occasions.

The former Werder Bremen captain also played 53 times in Europe for the Green-Whites, including the 2009 Europa League Final. In 75 games for Germany, Mertesacker has helped his country to the Semi-Finals of the 2006 and 2010 World Cups and to the Final of the 2008 European Championship.

“We are delighted to welcome Per Mertesacker to the Club," said Arsène Wenger. "He is a German international with vast experience and strength and is good on the floor and in the air. I believe he will be well-suited to the Premier League and a tremendous asset to the team.”

Mertesacker said: “I had a great time at SV Werder Bremen and I’m grateful to the club. Moving to London enables me to fulfil a dream and a further step in my career. The Premier League has always represented a great challenge for me.”

Mertesacker will wear the No 4 shirt for Arsenal.

:D :D :D :D

Gutted Arteta is leaving, but in some ways i respect his decision. At 29 he wants CL football, and being honest.. he wont get it at Everton anytime soon. But i still think 10million is much to cheap for a player of his calibre, thats how much Crouchy is going for!

Thank you Arteta for everything.. and Arsenal, enjoy him.

Well I've tried to work out how much money we'll be able to spend after today, and it's actually going to be a big fat zero. After selling 3 players. And that amount was confirmed on the radio. Nothing to spend whatsoever. And Arsenal and Spurs fans are disgruntled? meh.

John Cross says Benayoun is a done deal.

But really.... who cares when Arteta is happening?

Yep Benayoun done.

Got some tissues ready, going to be very messy when Arteta signs.

Well I've tried to work out how much money we'll be able to spend after today, and it's actually going to be a big fat zero. After selling 3 players. And that amount was confirmed on the radio. Nothing to spend whatsoever. And Arsenal and Spurs fans are disgruntled? meh.

It's what I keep repeating to Arsenal fans that I know crying: "Imagine being a fan of a team in financial peril like Plymouth".

It soon stops them whinging.

Benayoun on a loan deal is pretty good business given the fact that he can cover a lot of positions and he is pretty experienced. But Arteta deal is the one I'll be really pleased with if we do it on time.

would love to hear that it was too late for the deal to be completed but I highly doubt it

Well if Twitter says so

Oh yes, get in a pop at Twitter, why don't you. Alright, what if I say the Mirror, Times and Telegraph all say it's done? Because they do, just it's through their journalists on Twitter.

Back