The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Yeah, that's another option, but I was thinking someone established (sort-of) to take that role. Remember Wilsh can sit deep as he's good in the tackle too.

Marvin Martin would be my choice if Hazard is off the cards.

Marvin Martin should do the trick. and for 20m on a play with such quality, ...

tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

and also Christan Eriksen will be a good one too, with Ajax doing poor in the league. Much cheaper than Martin btw.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen Marvin Martin play this season? I was wondering because I haven't heard anything about him for awhile. Sochaux is also sitting dead last in Ligue 1 so if that is any sign of how he is playing I'd be wary. If this whole 100m transfer kitty is to be believed I really don't know what to think. If I remember last summer we were supposedly going to have a 75m transfer budget but we all see what happened there. Just get Gotze and Hazard and I will consider us to be legitly trying to contend for the title.

the 100m budget might be, or Seems Legit, but afaik, 50m is what we have atm. If the 100m, however, is true, then you know what to expect ..... (6) (H)

the 100m budget might be, or Seems Legit, but afaik, 50m is what we have atm. If the 100m, however, is true, then you know what to expect ..... (6) (H)

Yeah I know exactly what to expect. Us doing absolutely nothing and watching as Hazard and Eriksen and all our other big transfer targets join teams that push through deals quickly only for us to rush deadline day deals for below par players AGAIN.

Has anyone seen Marvin Martin play this season? I was wondering because I haven't heard anything about him for awhile. Sochaux is also sitting dead last in Ligue 1 so if that is any sign of how he is playing I'd be wary. If this whole 100m transfer kitty is to be believed I really don't know what to think. If I remember last summer we were supposedly going to have a 75m transfer budget but we all see what happened there. Just get Gotze and Hazard and I will consider us to be legitly trying to contend for the title.
Martin has just one goal and four assists this season. Now I haven't seen him play so he could still be playing really well but they aren't great numbers. As you say Sochaux are dead last so it could be that the players around him aren't good enough and at a better club like us he may flourish more.

As for the 100m transfer kitty, it's rubbish. I've seen from far more reliable sources that it is more like 50m of which 45m is reliant on Champions League football. Having said that, getting rid of players who aren't exactly needed would help somewhat.

So if we don't qualify for Champions League we would only get 5m? I highly doubt that. Although we probably could make 20m if we ever sell our "deadwood" that seems to stay at the club every season...

So if we don't qualify for Champions League we would only get 5m? I highly doubt that. Although we probably could make 20m if we ever sell our "deadwood" that seems to stay at the club every season...

If we don't get CL, the pressure will be on Kroenke or someone to put his money where his mouth is.

Thats roughly what the AST believe is the case.

With £45m of accounting profits, and cash available of approximately £50m, but qualification for the Champions League looking precarious, the AST sets out below some of the implications for the club in the weeks ahead and the questions it will ask of the owner and Board given the current state of affairs. Arsène Wenger has said that qualification for the 2012/13 CL is "compulsory" (one assumes from a footballing point of view) and failing to do so would be a "disaster". The AST estimates that the cost to the club of failure to qualify for the Champions League is circa £45m in annual revenues.

Obviously it may not be as low as 5m - but the transfer budget would likely take a considerable hit.

Last edited:
UCL cash has been important all long for us. shame that the UEL money is small compared to UCL.

What about Ibrahim Affelay? Frozen out at Barca and might want to leave for first team football... No? Depends on CL qualification ofcourse...

Looks like Arshavin is off to Zenit on loan for 1m. If he plays well there should get a decent fee at the end of the season. Benayoun should get more gametime now.

Arshavin has just confirmed on Twitter that he has joined Zenit on loan.

Happy and sad he is going. Happy because we should get a decent fee from Zenit plus his large wages will be gone not to mention he hasn't been performing to his ability for so long. As I saw someone say on twitter, he hasn't been the same since he was asked to play upfront. Sad though because he had the ability to pull something out of nothing and was such a character.

Arshavin 4 Goals Against Liverpool - YouTube

Looks like Arshavin is off to Zenit on loan for 1m. If he plays well there should get a decent fee at the end of the season. Benayoun should get more gametime now.

We'll probably get something like 9m in the summer for him.

Happy and sad he is going. Happy because we should get a decent fee from Zenit plus his large wages will be gone not to mention he hasn't been performing to his ability for so long. As I saw someone say on twitter, he hasn't been the same since he was asked to play upfront. Sad though because he had the ability to pull something out of nothing and was such a character.

Arshavin 4 Goals Against Liverpool - YouTube

Yeap I was huge fan after those Euro's and was quite happy when he joined us. Hope he can find his form back in mother Russia.

Such a shame Arshavin had to fizzle out. He's a rare example that Wenger isn't afraid to spend on quality if need be, unfortunately he degraded quite rapidly for one reason or another.

Arshavin's exit makes sense. If Arsenal had stayed in the Champions League (pretty much out), I think he would have stayed. But now they'll get a good price for him, just as much, he's been **** for a while now.

Back