The best league is?

• English Premiership

Votes: 57 83.8%
  • Spanish Primera

Votes: 11 16.2%

• Total voters

ivank

Reaction score
Which one is the best football league, English Premiership or Spanish Primera?

Premiership easily. How fun is a league where its a 2 horse race every year between the same teams? However on FM its fun to try and break the stranglehold that Real and Barca have on La Liga

Spain in FM

why you think that Spain on FM is stronger? Im playing with Liverpool and i have to face with ManUtd, Chelsea, Arsenal, City, Spurs, but when i was playing with At. Madrid only chalenge was Real and Barcelona the rest of them was to easy to win.

i gotta say it´s Premiership. La liga is verey unbalanced. Two strong teams, 4 or 5 medium teams and a lot of poor teams.

I prefer to play in spain thats all
England = Man city, Arsenal or Man united winning it on FM so its not that much of an open league

I prefer to play in spain thats all
England = Man city, Arsenal or Man united winning it on FM so its not that much of an open league

yes, this clubs maybe winning it but you also have others that brings you chalenge. In Spain you have two main contenders that will bring you chalenge the rest of them is too easy to win.

On my Wolves save, I was able to qualify for Champions Cup my first season. It was a close race in the last 3rd of the season between me (82 points), City (87), and Spurs (80). Man U dominated and broke the record for table points (101). Liverpool (66), Arsenal (77), and Chelsea (74) had slumps at the wrong time of the year but they competed early.

La Liga had Barca win (88) and R Madrid (85), next was Villarreal with 69. That's hardly competitive.

So I would say EPL is better as a league. I have always thought Serie A is the most competitive out of the big Euro leagues. My ranks would be Serie A, EPL, and Budesliga. In competitiveness that is, not a rank of skill.

The EPL, as in real life, is the best league. Every year in Spain the same 2 top teams dominate and it can get very boring after a while. The EPL on the other hand is such fun to play with. I remember in one of my saves, the top 5 was:

Man Utd
City
Spurs
Stoke
Arsenal

Yes you read that right, Stoke had an unbelievable season and they finished in that Fourth place. Chelsea & Liverpool on the other hand finished 5th and 6th but only 7 points of the top. United only clinched the title by 2 points from City and Spurs were 3 points behind United, Stoke & Arsenal where 5 points behind, Stoke had a better GD after Arsenal lost 4-0 to United on the final game of the season. and then Chelsea and Liverpool Further behind. I honestly have never seen a closer Premier League finish in all my seasons playing FM before.

And yet these mid teams in Spain are beating the Champion of EPL and making them look terribad. EPL in game as in real life is very over rated product of marketing. Especially after Man UTD's team in 2008 all the teams look bad, the refereeing is godawful, and there are number of cases for suspicious matches. Which results in a weak national team. But obviously the fans of EPL prefer to watch this. I am sorry to disappoint you but at least these 2 teams in Spain brought to the world a team that won the EU and the World Cup, while "the competition" in England brought their national team nothing. I have lived in both countries for awhile and I have to say that not only football, but sports in Spain are more than religion.

And yet these mid teams in Spain are beating the Champion of EPL and making them look terribad. EPL in game as in real life is very over rated product of marketing. Especially after Man UTD's team in 2008 all the teams look bad, the refereeing is godawful, and there are number of cases for suspicious matches. Which results in a weak national team. But obviously the fans of EPL prefer to watch this. I am sorry to disappoint you but at least these 2 teams in Spain brought to the world a team that won the EU and the World Cup, while "the competition" in England brought their national team nothing. I have lived in both countries for awhile and I have to say that not only football, but sports in Spain are more than religion.

The thing you don't seem to understand is the competition in the EPL is so fierce that Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, & Liverpool are not dominating the league anymore. More teams are competing in the league and its what makes the EPL, in my opinion, the best league in the world. The "Big 4" is not the "Big 4" anymore, there are so many good teams in the EPL who are capable of beating anyone. Look at Wigan last week beating United 1-0, look at Norwich beating Tottenham 2-1, Swansea beating Man City 1-0, Newcastle beating United 3-0. I can name more than 10 games this season where mid table teams have beaten the top teams in the EPL.

The refereeing decisions are whats part of the game nowadays. You got the strict referees & the leaniant referees. The referees are not just bad in England, Spain & Italy & France have TERRIBLE referees. As i said though, its part of the game nowadays and nothing can be done about it.

Another thing you are not understanding is quite simply. Would you rather watch 2 teams dominate the league and hammer teams year after year after year or would you rather watch a league where if im honest, ANYONE can be in the top 4. In Spanish Football, you can pretty much predict the top 2/3 and predict that Barca & Real Madrid are going to walk the league. This is not the case in the EPL, you can never predict a match anymore, the competition is so fierce now, its pretty much impossible to predict what way a match is going to go, you can sit and watch ANY EPL game and you will not be able to tell what way the game is going to go.

Would you have predicted at the start of the season that Everton, Swansea & Norwich would be where they are in the table? Or even Newcastle are fighting for 4th place? No course not, you would have got some good spanking odds for these at the start of the season, I can assure you.

Now tell me this, Would you have predicted Barcelona & Real Madrid would be top 2 at the start of the season? Yes course you would have. Ronaldo & Messi dominating the league? Again Yes. Whos the closest player to them in the league? You call that competition? I'm not going to argue that Spain play some amazing football, but their domestic league cannot match the Premier League and that is a fact. Internationals are completely irrelivant, they have no meaning on the domestic league at all, the Euro's & World Cup happen every 4 years, internationals are not played EVERY week like the League season is.

Last edited:
The quality of the football played there is much, much higher than in EPL, dude. Having Barca and Real playing there increases drastically the level of the other teams. They might not be able to beat them due to the lack of finances and reputation to attract the players the big 2 can, however there are teams like Villereal, Valencia, Sevilia, Atletico that have not just one been in the top 2. In fact neither Barca, nor Real were holding this top 2 5 years ago for example. However you would like to speak in cliques and speak about the sold match of Wigan - Man Utd and how amazing it is that this team has won the leader of EPL, rather than see what a high quality match did Atletico Bilbao and Mallorca for example.

In fact the EPL is probably the weakest of the top leagues since 2009, it is not even top 3, due to the lack of quality teams and players.

As I said, Im not doubting Spain play some amazing football but the quality is nowhere near higher than the PL. The PL dominates, Spanish football can't compete with the physciality, mentality or the pace of the EPL. Having Real and Barca there does NOT improve the level of the other team, the way teams improve are through training & through coaches.

Actually, the ONLY time Barca or Real failed to finish in the top 2 was in the 2007-2008 season when Madrid won the League and Villareal came second and Barca came third, since then the top 2 has always been the same, please tell me how that is competitve?

Just because Wigan beat Man Utd doesn't mean the quality is poor in the EPL, it proves that the competition is fierce and as i said ANY team can beat ANYONE. Just look at the results in the PL this season and tell me how that is not competitive and take a look at the League table now compare that to La Liga. What table looks more exciting for the Neutrals?

The last statement is completely ridiculous, the EPL is the STRONGEST it has ever been, how you can say otherwise is beyond me. To me it sounds like you haven't watched much PL games this season because anyone who has watched the PL this season will say it has been the most exciting yet. If you ask ANYONE what season of the PL is the most exciting, I gaurentee most of them will say this season has.

Lack of quality teams and players? EVERY team in the PL has quality players right down the table till the very bottom, so again that statement is ridiculous. Tell me one thing, why is that that top European players now play in the PL? and most European players WANT to play in the EPL. Don't say money because that is not true.

As I said, Im not doubting Spain play some amazing football but the quality is nowhere near higher than the PL. The PL dominates, Spanish football can't compete with the physciality, mentality or the pace of the EPL. Having Real and Barca there does NOT improve the level of the other team, the way teams improve are through training & through coaches.

Actually, the ONLY time Barca or Real failed to finish in the top 2 was in the 2007-2008 season when Madrid won the League and Villareal came second and Barca came third, since then the top 2 has always been the same, please tell me how that is competitve?

Just because Wigan beat Man Utd doesn't mean the quality is poor in the EPL, it proves that the competition is fierce and as i said ANY team can beat ANYONE. Just look at the results in the PL this season and tell me how that is not competitive and take a look at the League table now compare that to La Liga. What table looks more exciting for the Neutrals?

The last statement is completely ridiculous, the EPL is the STRONGEST it has ever been, how you can say otherwise is beyond me. To me it sounds like you haven't watched much PL games this season because anyone who has watched the PL this season will say it has been the most exciting yet. If you ask ANYONE what season of the PL is the most exciting, I gaurentee most of them will say this season has.

Lack of quality teams and players? EVERY team in the PL has quality players right down the table till the very bottom, so again that statement is ridiculous. Tell me one thing, why is that that top European players now play in the PL? and most European players WANT to play in the EPL. Don't say money because that is not true.

Dude, I have no clue where from you take your sources and opinions. I am not watching an amazing amount of matches from EPL, but I watch a lot of Seria A and La Liga games. My grandfather was a youth coach and I have played 8 years in youth formations until my injury I was even invited in the national youth set up of Bulgaria in 2001, but did not play. Nowadays I play amateur football having played in England, Spain and Bulgaria in the amateur divisions and a lot of amateur leagues and cups. I have met a lot of coaches and football philosophies and have read some books about the matter.

The Spanish football is much more physical when we speak about conditioning, but not aggression. In fact no Spanish coach will teach you how to tackle but rather teach you 1-on-1s and zonal marking. Mentally I will have to disagree. The Spaniards are born champions and these are the results from the last Wolrd and EU Cup and the Champions league stats. I have no clue about what other mentality you are talking about. The pace of the EPL is again a miracle of the good marketing of the teams. If you compare the pitch sizes in England to the ones in Germany, Spain and Italy you will notice a bad trend - the ones in England are in general smaller and narrower to the ones of the other countries. It is easier to keep a higher tempo in a smaller pitch and much easier to play a good long ball. So although I agree the tempo in EPL is higher than the rest I would disagree about the general pace. Otherwise how would you explain the colapse of Man UTD against Bilbao?

Every team can beat anyone out there in every league. This is why there are home and away games. It happens everywhere beside with Juventus in Seria A, who still need to lose. If you look at the both tables you will see almost the same difference with the top 2 and bunch of teams fighting for the last spot of the Champions league and the European League. There is basically no difference.

If it is the strongest how do you explain that there are no English teams (Beside Chelsea) in the Champions League and the European League while there are 5 participants from Spain? And Chelsea were extremely lucky against Napoli and in general had a favorable draw to meet both Napoli and Benfica. They are the weakest team of the top 4 and will probably lose with a big margin to Barcelona it will not even be fun. We will have too see tonight.

Do we need to compare the squads really? There are no big stars beside the English ones in the EPL and maby RVP. In fact the most teams from EPL look exactly like Juventus - a team full of "stars", who do not perform. Compare the top squads to the teams of Real, Barca and Bayern and you will again see a big margin with the names. For example the biggest Spanish stars in England are Huan Mata and David Silva, who are reserve players in Spain's national team. Actually if you make a simple research you will notice that the countries with the biggest history in football and the ones that produce the most quality players - Brazil, Italy, Germany, Holland, Spain and Argentina have not many players in EPL. Italians prefer to play in Italy, Germans in Germany, Argentinians and Brazilians play either in Spain or Italy, because of the work permit **** in England and because Spain and Italy is closer to language and habits to their own countries and it is easier to adapt for them in these countries. So what is left is the Netherlands. There are a lot of players from other European countries and Africa in England, but is the quality of these players as the ones coming from Brasil, Italy, Germany, Argentina and Spain or is this the other marketing mythology the EPL uses?

If it is the strongest how do you explain that there are no English teams (Beside Chelsea) in the Champions League and the European League while there are 5 participants from Spain?

Sorry but that's a bad argument. In the past 5-6 years English teams have been strongly represented in the later rounds of the European competitions.

I'd go for EPL, because it's simply more interesting and there's a better football played. I'd always pick a PL match over a La Liga match.

I would rather look on an EPL game because the teams are more even then in Spain. Which I believe the distribution of TV-rights money in Spain is to blame. I find it hard to judge one league over the other in terms of "Best league", the best league would be the one with most success in the continental cups? Different type of football, more even games and therefor more excitment in EPL, more entertaining football watching Barcelona or Real Madrid playing against weaker opponents. I prefer even games but I can also see the entertainment of Barcelona and Real Madrid.

If I must I would say that La Liga is the better league. Simply becuase teams have bether success in continental cups. The two best(?) players play in La Liga even if I personally don't like Ronaldo and my opinion is that Barcelona is the best team in the world.

I like EPL more but believe La Liga is better, huge difference between liking and judging.

If you want even games and tactical diversity u better watch Seria A this season. The last seasons were awful but this one is really amazing.

Lee, I agree, I was speaking about this season particularly. And in this season the EPL bubble exploded. I have been always wondering how a league that strong has such a bad national team and it seemed not logical, however this season it finally exploded. And if the transfer market keeps quiet as it did during the winter I am expecting the drop of EPL to start. Germany and Italy seem stable enough to give a big fight in the next seasons. According to me only the sugar daddies can save the EPL right now.

If you want even games and tactical diversity u better watch Seria A this season. The last seasons were awful but this one is really amazing.

Lee, I agree, I was speaking about this season particularly. And in this season the EPL bubble exploded. I have been always wondering how a league that strong has such a bad national team and it seemed not logical, however this season it finally exploded. And if the transfer market keeps quiet as it did during the winter I am expecting the drop of EPL to start. Germany and Italy seem stable enough to give a big fight in the next seasons. According to me only the sugar daddies can save the EPL right now.

Do you have something against the EPL? I'm sorry but I've watched La Liga this year and I cant recall a single game where I haven't fallen asleep or switched over apart from the El Classico or when Levante hosted Barca or when Real played Sporting. You argue over the fact about the English teams in the Champions League. This year, yeah it hasn't been as good for the English teams, but when was the last time there was no English team in the Semi final of the CL? Chelsea didn't get lucky against Napoli, they played much better than them in the Second leg and beat them as a result.

The EPL at the moment is the strongest it has ever been. JUST because teams like Chelsea & Liverpool or Arsenal are not at the top doesn't mean the teams are getting weaker, it just means the competition is getting stronger and teams are getting more hard to beat. Another example, Look at Wigan on Monday night, they played MUCH better than Arsenal and beat them as a result. It doesn't show that teams are getting weaker.

Regarding the national team, yeah I agree, the English National team is poor but this has got nothing to do with the National team. Just because there was little activity in the Winter transfer window DOES NOT mean the EPL will start to drop. The Financial Fair Play Rules will start to come into effect soon so teams around Europe wont be spending, spending, spending, spending. To say the EPL is dropping off right now is VERY poor to say the least.

You obviously haven't watched much EPL games this season, looking at your opinions. Its been the best season for a very, very long time. Its been so competitive and It's so hard to predict the way a match will go, La Liga this is not the case.