The Celtic Match Thread

ANTHONY Stokes was the hero for Celtic as they returned to league duty with a dominant 1-0 victory over Aberdeen at Pittodrie.

The Irishman coolly slotted home Kris Commons’ low pass in the second-half, rewarding the Hoops for their persistence after they had failed to convert a plethora of chances beforehand.

Predictably, there were several changes from the team which took on Swansea City, the last of four friendlies since the opening day win over Hibernian, with the likes of Lukasz Zaluska, Ki and Stokes returning to the starting XI.

Showing little sign of rustiness on resuming competitive action, the Hoops started at a brisk pace, zipping the ball around with some purpose. A venomous effort from Commons forced David Gonzalez into action.

Collecting a clearance from a corner, Beram Kayal then fired over from the edge of the box.

A determined burst down the right from Peter Pawlett sparked the Dons into life, the move culminating with Isaac Osbourne dragging a shot wide of the near post.

Still, with Commons, Gary Hooper and Stokes linking up well in the attacking third, Celtic remained the more menacing. Another passing sequence ended with Ki’s rising effort finding the back of the stand.

However, Lennon’s men suffered a blow on the quarter-hour mark as Emilio Izaguirre had to leave the field on a stretcher after a challenge from Pawlett near the byline. A chorus of jeers greeted the introduction of former Don, Charlie Mulgrew, as his replacement.

After taking several minutes adjusting to the change, Celtic pressed forward once more. Ki combined with Commons then saw his low shot deflected for a corner, before Kayal’s powerful drive from 18 yards arrowed narrowly over.

Kelvin Wilson took matters into his own hands, striding out of defence, skipping past one challenge and releasing Stokes on the left. But Gonzalez was equal to the Irishman’s rising shot.

Stokes popped up on the left again, shortly after. This time he elected to cross, picking out Ledley who couldn’t generate enough power in his header to trouble Gonzalez.

A misplaced pass handed Aberdeen a rare chance to break forward – Darren Mackie supplied Scott Vernon but Zaluska pushed the striker’s low effort away.

Celtic responded immediately with a swift counter-attack. Hooper beat the offside trap but his cross intended for Ki was deflected into the grateful arms of Gonzalez by Rory McArdle.

Desperately seeking a goal before the interval, Majstorovic knocked Ki’s free-kick into Hooper’s path, but the hitman was crowded out when trying to manufacture room for a shot.

The second-half saw no change in the momentum as Celtic pressed hard for the opener. After the ball had been worked wide to Commons, he turned inside on to his trusty left foot but couldn’t steer his effort on target.

The winger had been a constant threat. This time he reached the byline, only to see his cutback evade several onrushing team-mates.

Adam Matthews, making his competitive debut in the Hoops, was providing him with plenty of support on the right, and his cross was nodded wide of the far post by Ki.

However, the home side provided a reminder of their own attacking ability as Mackie dug out a ball from the byline which Vernon failed to connect with.

Normal service was swiftly resumed, however, as Ki darted inside from the right but pulled his shot wide, and then Commons’ goalbound half-volley was blocked by Considine.

A foul on Commons gave Mulgrew the opportunity from a free-kick, but his attempt flew high and wide as Celtic’s frustration continued.

However, in the 74th minute they finally made a deserved breakthrough. Stokes sent Commons scampering down the right and he timed his run well to collect the return pass and calmly sweep the ball past Gonzalez.

James Forrest, who had replaced Joe Ledley, had a golden chance to double the advantage five minutes late but Gonzalez denied him with his legs, following a delicious pass from Commons.

Georgios Samaras still had time to nod a header wide as the Hoops comfortably withstood some late pressure to go top of the SPL by one point.

Celtic Football Club

Commons was gash until the goal, he needs to play on the left so he can cut in.
Stokes isnt a left winger.
Izzy will be missed.
Maj shouldnt start.
Aberdeen will finish top 6.

Adam Matthews had a very promising Debut. Looked comfortable and played very well.

I think Izzy will be a massive loss but no need to go out and buy another left-back when we have Charlie Mulgrew and Mark Wilson. Don't think Zaluska should be No1 , hopefully we get the Polish keeper we are linked with. Majstorovic isn't good enough so we need another CB to play with Kelvin Wilson.

Looking forward to a promising season !!

Matthews can also play lb and was very good there against Wolves. Id play Mulgrew and Wilson at the back, Maj scares the **** out of me every-time the play is cleared by the oppositions defence. Im probably one of the only Celtic fans that would be confident with Zaluska in nets for the rest of the season.

Buying a left-back would be pointless. Yes, maybe he'd do well until Izzy's back, then what? Drops to the bench, and another waste of wages.

My back 4 would be (R-L): Matthews - K.Wilson - Mulgrew - Wilson

Last edited:
I think Zaluska is a good keeper he just flaps on occasions

Hearing that the charity game has sold out, absolutely brilliant.

Larsson just scored an abosolute belter to make it 2-2 :wub:

Larsson is still world class imo and could still do a job at cfc

Larsson is still absolutely unreal, how some people can honestly say he wasnt World Class is beyond believe.
I had to turn the volume off when that ignorant **** of a commentator said something along the lines of "and the Celtic fans have now adopted the Man City Poznan"
GTF!!
1 - Its the ******* huddle not the poznan.
2 - Even if they where the same we have been doing it far longer than City
3 - If we where doing the Poznan we wouldnt be copying it from City we would be copying it Poznan FFS.

You would think he would do his research before spouting pure *****. Just goes to show how some people dont believe football exists outside the Premiership.

Other than that decent game, Gerard Butler is absoult gash and I dont know how nicky from Westlife almost made it as a footballer. Big Johan was taking the game very seriously and Lubo <3

I've just seen the goals, and therefore the Larsson's second. What a great footballer...

Even though Larsson played only 3 months for us he was absolutely brilliant. Even when he was 35 he was quality. Manager wanted to extend loan but he wanted to keep his word and left.

LEGEND of the game and one of my all time fav..

Celtic stole it from City.
City stole it from Poznan when the played them 2 years ago.
Rangers also do it.
I hate it, our original version is better.

Rangers also do it.

No.
Celtic do the huddle, which is a tribute to the huddle the players do before each match started by Tony Mowbray many moons ago.
Celtic have done there huddle long before City copied the Poznan fans, less than a year ago.
‪Mcfc v Lech Poznan 21/10/2010‬‏ - YouTube
What the Lech Poznan do isnt even called the Poznan, its called the Grecques.

Please dont comment talking **** like Celtic stoke it from City, without knowing your facts.

Last edited:
Rangers also do it.

No, no we didn't.
City played Poznan last year, not two years ago. Nice try.
Your one sucks ***.
I hate yours, ours is better. 60,000 people doing the huddle > 50,000 people doing the whatever yours is called.

Well show me a clip of you doing it before Man City played Poznan, with proof of game and date.
And you spelled it 'huddle' it's supposed to be spelled 'Poznan' silly you.