The Death of Football

• Thread starter Thread starter ajt09
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 65
  • Views Views 4K
Status
Not open for further replies.
in two minds tbh. It can benefit the game, but at the same time such sophisticated technology comes at a cost. It has been estimated that a football club can expect to pay between £125,000-£250,000 for the installation of a Hawk eye type system. That would be absolutely crippling for some. Plus, (correct me if I'm wrong), it's not real time. It's what is used in tennis, and would hold up play.
So not sure as yet. Besides-wouldn't you miss all the talking points of refeering decisions after a match?

its about 15 seconds, only needed at obviously moments, theres enough to talk about in the game as it is to be honest, and it would only be implemented at the top levels

Could not agree more. I think the new financial fair play rule is even worse as it will not make a difference to clubs like Man U, Barca or Real Madrid because they make 100s of millions a year anyway

Exacly what i said the other day and i got shot down for it. Where were you then when i needed you lol.

See that's my problem, I think it would give us football fans nothing to banter about, so I would rather not have GL tech. And I'm a person who has experienced the horrible feeling when a ref makes a wrong decision which affects the game. (Spurs vs Chelsea, England vs Germany)

what? there is so much to talk about in football, without needing to talk about patently wrong decisions.

its about 15 seconds, only needed at obviously moments, theres enough to talk about in the game as it is to be honest, and it would only be implemented at the top levels

Think it would sanatise the game for me too the more I think about it tbh. And you're right about it being at top level clubs too. If it did come in though, I would miss my rants about the ref lol. Like everything else it's pros and cons I guess as always. But the pros would on a whole outweight the cons. But GLT is for another thread I suspect.

Last edited:
Don't you agree it adds excitement to a game though?

There are thousands of fans extremely passionate about their team, millions of pounds involved with each top flight fixture. There's no way that should be put at risk for the sake of having a days worth of discussion afterwards. If you're watching football to discuss referee errors, you're watching it for the wrong reasons.

There are thousands of fans extremely passionate about their team, millions of pounds involved with each top flight fixture. There's no way that should be put at risk for the sake of having a days worth of discussion afterwards. If you're watching football to discuss referee errors, you're watching it for the wrong reasons.
I just don't want the game to be changed, I feel the game will be too disciplined if we get technology

But it could mean the difference between staying in a division or getting relegated costing them a fortune. Have to look at the bigger picture. Takes one mistake by an official on the last game of the season which involves relegation, and the clubs gone

I just don't want the game to be changed, I feel the game will be too disciplined if we get technology

The sport has changed vastly over the decades and will continue to do so. It's inevitable.

"Constant development is the law of life, and a man who always tries to maintain his dogmas in order to appear consistent drives himself into a false position. " - Gandhi.

Do you think we should play on if a player's injured? That takes up the 15 seconds the technology requires, so surely we don't want to lose that! Should we ban celebrations after a goal? Should we force goalkeeper's to take a free kick immediately without the team getting back into position? The 15 seconds taken up by hawkeye that you're claiming will disrupt the flow would have been easily taken up by celebrations/restarting the game/complaining to the ref. Look at how long it takes the ref to settle the situation every time it happens. Minutes, yet it could be done and dusted after 15 seconds and that's "disrupting the flow"? Please.

The sport has changed vastly over the decades and will continue to do so. It's inevitable.

"Constant development is the law of life, and a man who always tries to maintain his dogmas in order to appear consistent drives himself into a false position. " - Gandhi.

Do you think we should play on if a player's injured? That takes up the 15 seconds the technology requires, so surely we don't want to lose that! Should we ban celebrations after a goal? Should we force goalkeeper's to take a free kick immediately without the team getting back into position? The 15 seconds taken up by hawkeye that you're claiming will disrupt the flow would have been easily taken up by celebrations/restarting the game/complaining to the ref. Look at how long it takes the ref to settle the situation every time it happens. Minutes, yet it could be done and dusted after 15 seconds and that's "disrupting the flow"? Please.

I'm not worried about disrupting the flow. I like the Tennis way of doing things.

I'm not worried about disrupting the flow. I like the Tennis way of doing things.

There's only 2 counters to its implementation: Disrupting the flow of the game with the time it takes and "losing a talking point".

Football is continuous whereas tennis is stop-start so it's supposedly easier for them to pause and check. But while we're on tennis, they get pretty excited over the challenges do they not? So surely the excitement over seeing what hawkeye says will easily replace that lost by an erroneous decision? ;)

See that's my problem, I think it would give us football fans nothing to banter about, so I would rather not have GL tech. And I'm a person who has experienced the horrible feeling when a ref makes a wrong decision which affects the game. (Spurs vs Chelsea, England vs Germany)

Oh come on. I see the downside of goalline tech because of financial reasons (which is why I think for the time being it should be limited to FIFA and UEFA competitions or the clubs that actually want to pay for it without anyone making them). However, do you really, REALLY think banter about referee decisions comes before fair results? I think if the ball crosses the line the team the team should get the goal. After all, that's the goal in football, to get goals.

There's only 2 counters to its implementation: Disrupting the flow of the game with the time it takes and "losing a talking point".

Football is continuous whereas tennis is stop-start so it's supposedly easier for them to pause and check. But while we're on tennis, they get pretty excited over the challenges do they not? So surely the excitement over seeing what hawkeye says will easily replace that lost by an erroneous decision? ;)

Sort of similar to watching the NFL for me. Bit of excitement on the instant replays to see what pans out

I don't get the argument about it disrupting the flow of the game.
Pretty much every time you see one of those did it go in, didn't it go in type of moments the ref usually spends 20 minutes telling the players to **** off out his face.

Also it's not like it would be that hard to bring in, you watch football on TV how long does it take them to show a replay? What 10 seconds at most half the time? You can just have the ref who sits on the side of the pitch watch it and make the call.
Would be over and done with before the fans have sat back down.

I personally am against goal line technology. The number of times that it would need to be used is minimal, but I don't see any reason for it to be implemented now. Teams have relied on strong and accurate refereeing for years, why change now? My fear is that it would lead to further technological introductions - replays for every debatable offence that would influence the flow of the game?

There are much more important issues to be addressed for me, such as the manipulation of referees through simulation and on (and off) field intimidation of match officials. Rules of retrospective punishment should clearly be addressed (eg. how Rooney can't be banned for elbowing McCarthy, yet he can for swearing into a camera?). Cheating is ruining the sport I love, not a lack of technological advancement.

The new financial rules are ruining football. It just means any team who tries to disrupt the original order of the big teams such as man utd, arsenal, real madrid, AC Milan etc. I want to see some new teams start doing well and i feel these financial rules are limiting the rest of the teams.

The new financial rules are ruining football. It just means any team who tries to disrupt the original order of the big teams such as man utd, arsenal, real madrid, AC Milan etc. I want to see some new teams start doing well and i feel these financial rules are limiting the rest of the teams.

hardly, have you seen the state most euro clubs are in. serie a is still reeling from 10 years on. football is largely about to burst.
been over this so many times, the rules arent perfect, but to succeed requires genuine long term smart investment, and actually running a club well

In your opinion Mike, what do these financial rules mean for teams like Malaga, QPR, Chelsea and Man City who are ran by rich owners who want quick success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back