Returning to this game...

February was possibly my worst month as manager of Port Vale to date. Draws have far too often characterised my reign as manager, and this was no exception, but it came at a crucial time against crucial teams. Playoff rivals Oldham scored a last minute winner, before Scunthorpe who are also in the mixer managed to come from behind 3 times for a 3-3 draw. just HOW Barnsley got a 0-0 draw I will never ever know, we destroyed them from first whistle to last, the only bright point of the month was a win over Exeter. Notably before the Exeter game I dropped Taylor in favour of Kalambay in goal, and it would stay this way for the rest of the season.

PortValePortVale_Fixtures-11.png

March dawned with a Lafon brace to beat Yeovil and then somehow Bournemouth managed a draw, much like Barnsley. Brentford are play off rivals, and finally we did what we should have done to Scunthorpe, and beat them. Hull after thrashing me 5-1 were going to be hard to beat, but a 0-0 draw is a result I am happy with. Now, I have never beaten Hartlepool in 5 previous meetings. So WHAT THE **** happened here, we didn't just beat them, they were a place above me and got annihilated. What an end to the month.

PortValePortVale_Fixtures-2-4.png

April was to be the crunch month. A goalless draw with Colchester was not the best start. A Willo Flood hat trick (new signing) against Peterborough was good, as was a hard fought win over Luton, and despite going down to 10 men early on against Bristol Rovers they got destroyed. Brighton also got comfortably beaten, moving us into 6th, so the equation was simple, win the last two and guaranteed play offs.

Leyton Orient was just not to be, thrashing us 4-1, Blackman had a goal disallowed at 1-0 which would have changed the game, but we can't dwell on it. Thankfully Oldham only drew so went level on points, but MK Dons closed to within 2 points, so it was tight going into the final round of games.

PortValePortVale_Fixtures-3-4.png

I never thought Le Fondre would be on the bench for Rotherham, but Miljatovic gave us an early lead. I didn't think this would be enough and sure enough Jordy Brouwer levelled. Blackman's goal on the hour looked to have confirmed our play off place though, a win was definitely needed as MK Dons were winning and would take the playoff place if we failed to win. And sure enough, JORDY BROUWER, I hate him, score in the final final minute, we missed out on the play offs by 11 seconds.

Resized to 94% (was 1024 x 529) - Click image to enlarge
PortValevRotherhamInformation_Overview.png

League Table

npowerLeague1Information_Stages.png

Season Review

Anger anger anger: defence was terrible, Kalambay was great after he came in apart from the critical error, dropping the ball at Brouwers feet. The defence needs sorting. Good up front though. So glad Rotherham got relegated. I want Le Fondre.

Haha this is great! So easy to read, keep it up

)
de8gu1.jpg

Port Vale cause a stir
31st July
FootballValenciaSunday_Sunny_Pofile_558486.jpg

Sunny is just one of the recruits

18 in, 17 out

Port Vale manager Matthew Fox is known for his wise wheeling and dealing in the transfer market, getting Vale promoted last season from League Two, and somehow building a squad that so nearly sneaked into the playoffs this season in League One. We daren't really remind those Valiants fans out there, but they were just 11 seconds away from 6th place when Jordy Brouwer scored for Rotherham, and Fox added extra spice saying League One wouldn't miss Rotherham straight after.

Pundits across England expected some strengthening at Vale Park, but when rumours surfaced in Spain three days ago of an audacious bid from Fox, we thought it was going a step too far. But no, Sunny had been offered by his agent, to Port Vale, as they felt that Vale were a club going places. Fox understandably wasted no time in snapping him up, on just £4.8k a week, which puts him on the same wage as the other star signing, Leon Osman on a free transfer from Everton.

The pressure is now really on to succeed for Vale, backed by the board in the transfer market, clearly no one told Fox the transfer window was until the 31st August not July, as the transfers appear concluded. They will look forward to the season with optimism, and despite the presence of Hull, Leeds and Charlton still in the league, Vale are many bookmakers favourites to clinch at the very least an automatic promotion slot, if not the title.

0,,~8745823,00.png
0,,~8745822,00.png
0,,~8745821,00.png
0,,~8745813,00.png

Resized to 89% (was 1024 x 529) - Click image to enlarge
LeonOsmanProfile_Attributes.png

SunnyProfile_Attributes.png

PortValeTransfers_History-4.png

August to January update

August started with a disappointing goalless draw, but the defence was better. It didn't take Le Fondre much time to break his duck for the club, and even the keeper netted in the League Cup against Rochdale. Sunny scored his first and LuaLua scored twice as the club remained unbeaten, and it continued with a 2-2 draw against Hartlepool. A last minute lob did for Vale in the League Cup against Premiership Birmingham and that close shave was banished against Walsall, Lafon keeping up his good season form.

PortValePortVale_Fixtures-12.png

September started with a dreadful performance yet Vale still knocked Morecambe at the JPT on penalties. Rochdale should have been beaten but once again the Valiants were terrible. Franchini planted a late header to defeat Preston in a shock result, while Le Fondre tore Barnsley apart in an easy game. The month ended with a horrendous defeat, and a terrible performance.

PortValePortVale_Fixtures-2-5.png

October started with a similar performance thrashed by Luton, but Brentford were put away quite easily, and Crewe dispatched with a very late goal in the JPT as Vale continued to progress. Le Fondre got back on form in a huge huge win over league leaders Southampton. Revenge was got against MK Dons in a good win, before new league leaders Charlton came from 2-0 down to win 3-2, a terrible second half.

PortValePortVale_Fixtures-3-5.png

The same happened against Scunthorpe but that was different. 4-0 down at half time, the result by full time was by no means a reflection of the shocking performance. Leeds was a good result, and I'm happy with that after the performance last week. Whitby got smashed unsurprisingly in the FA Cup and Accrington comfortably lost in the JPT Quarter Finals. Colchester and Shrewsbury were terrible results, not happy with either score. The FA Cup progress continued to the 3rd Round, beating Cheltenham.

Resized to 100% (was 963 x 156) - Click image to enlarge
PortValePortVale_Fixtures-4-3.png

Chesterfield were beaten in the Semi Final of the JPT so we had a Wembley appearance to look forward to and 9 man Brighton got thrashed in the League and Notts County were beaten 6-2 very comfortably. Bournemouth were comfortably beaten too, as everything started to get better. Then inexplicably Southend destroyed Vale with an incredible performance. Le Fondre then got back on form with a hat trick against playoff rivals Hull, and Gillingham got easily beaten too. Hartlepool was not a good performance to end the year, but we will survive it.

PortValePortVale_Fixtures-5-2.png

npowerLeague1Information_LeagueTable-1.png

Brilliant story, am a follower definitely. Please have a look at my AFC Wimbledon story when u get a chance.

Thanks

We entered the new year with a shot at the automatics, but with more chance of the playoffs. A new signing Jay McEveley slotted straight into the side. The FA Cup 3rd Round opened the year, and we got ourselves a 4th round spot by easily beating BSP side Aldershot. Oldham in the league was a tough game and it was an unlikely goalscorer to rescue a point. He then scored again, this time in a big victory. Yanez got a goal on his final appearance for the club, rescuing another point, before he was sold for a club record £6m to CSKA Sofia. I don't feel with LuaLua available that he needs replacing, but that may change, so I got Zeytulaev in on a free. Rochdale were easily dispatched before a poor defeat in the first leg of the North JPT Final. Two poor results ended the month, only managing a draw against Preston before being soundly beaten by Luton for the 2nd time this season.

PortValePortVale_Fixtures-13.png

What an incredible result to start February. 3 games without a win and somehow we knock Sunderland out the FA Cup at the Stadium of Light. I'm speechless. We couldn't follow it by beating Barnsley though, although Le Fondre got us 3 points against Carlisle. A 1-0 win in the return leg against Oldham was not enough, and we were out so close to Wembley. MK Dons then caused more problems by winning at Vale Park. LuaLua and Le Fondre justified their continued selection with good goals as Brentford were beaten before we finally got a home FA Cup game. West Brom were comfortable winners but I'm elated by the 19000 strong crowd. Itandje joined on a free at the end of the month to strengthen the defence.

PortValePortVale_Fixtures-2-6.png

March had some horrendous fixtures. First we played away to the league leaders and returned north with a point, then away to 2nd place, and returned defeated in injury time. 6th place Scunthorpe made it no easier but Kazenga LuaLua wasn't having any of it and 3 points at last. A late goal away against 3rd placed Leeds stole a draw from us, before we inflicted a little bit of revenge on Oldham for the cup result. Colchester were then beaten by the same scoreline, 2-0 up at ht I introduced new signing Milan Jovanovic, and he scored twice setting up the other to create the result.

PortValePortVale_Fixtures-3-6.png

April started with a dreadful result, goalless against Notts County, already relegated. Shrewsbury however were smashed apart, although Brighton kept up Vale's poor form with a win. Consecutive 1-0 wins though managed to secure a play off spot, despite a loss to Hull on the last day.

PortValePortVale_Fixtures-4-4.png

Only one team got close to me on goals scored this season. Scunthorpe. They were to be my opponents in the playoffs. I was 2-0 down at home in the first leg, before I ripped them apart at half time. Sunny and Le Fondre got the goals, as we secured a draw, although the away goals meant that we needed to win at Glanford Park. The return leg wasn't even a contest. Free scoring Scunthorpe just didn't turn up! Not that I am going to complain, Lafon was simply brilliant, Osman was impeccable throughout as well.

PortValePortVale_Fixtures-5-3.png

So we go to Wembley, for the biggest game of my managerial career so far, a chance to make a name for myself, a chance to put myself in the shop window for other clubs, and a chance for this club to take a step towards the big time.

It would need a strong performance against former Premier League side Charlton, but I was convinced I had the players at my disposal to create a victory.

I tweaked a few tactics, and an incredible performance against Charlton, capped by a wonderful header from Steve Gohouri, gave us a place in the the Championship next season.

PortValevCharltonInformation_Overview.png

League Table

npowerLeague1Information_LeagueTable-3.png

Review

If crowds don't improve I will resign. Simple as. We never get close to capacity and everyone else does. Great season though, Le Fondre a class act with 30 in the league.

portvale.png

Last Updated:9th July
Valiants Lose Stars
fc2c8208-0613-464b-b802-ba531726ac7d.jpg

0,,10278~5764302,00.gif
0,,10278~5764303,00.gif
0,,10278~5764305,00.gif
0,,10278~5764301,00.gif

Championship life could be harder...

Life in the n-Power Championship for newly promoted Port Vale could have just become a whole lot harder. 2 days after letting star winger Alexis Lafon go to Germany for capital club Hertha Berlin for £7.75m, the Valiants have let another star name go. Free transfer signing, striker Nick Blackman formerly of Blackburn Rovers has left the club for fellow Championship side, newly relegated Blackpool. This deal is expected to be in the region of £2.8m, a good deal many would argue for Vale, on a striker forced out the side by Adam Le Fondre last term, and likely to find competition even harder after the acquisitions of Alex Nimely on a free from Manchester City, and James Vaughan on a free after being released by Everton.

portvale.png

Last Updated:17th September

Shock at Vale Park
question_mark.jpg

0,,10278~5764302,00.gif
0,,10278~5764303,00.gif
0,,10278~5764305,00.gif
0,,10278~5764301,00.gif

Fans still coming to terms

Shock is reverberating around Vale Park and the surrounding streets of Stoke on Trent tonight, after manager Matthew Fox who has led them to 2 promotions in 3 seasons walked out on the club. He stated that he could no longer cope with the lack of discipline shown by his players, notably resigning less than 30 minutes after both Sunny and James Vaughan had seen straight red cards in a 4-0 defeat at home to Norwich.

The result leaves the Valiants just above the relegation zone, and tributes must be paid to Fox for assembling a squad that should be capable of challenging for the play offs. In striker James Vaughan and centre back Ashley Williams there are two bedrocks of the team for seasons to come.

Many pundits have speculated that the reasoning behind the lack of discipline is down to a board decision in March last year, when assistant manager Bob Bloomer, widely respected by the players was replaced by John Morling. Many have said that the decision for this lay with Fox, but the lack of funds for a new contract has been seen as the real reason.

Fox released a statement saying that "I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here at Port Vale, but I wish the fans had been behind us. For 3 seasons now other teams in the divisions we are in fill their stadium, and regularly bring larger travelling supporters than we can muster at home. This means we can't keep up financially, and I must pay tribute to Marcello Cestaro for bankrolling the club, however I feel I have taken this club as far as I can go, and with the players now not respecting my authority, it is time to say goodbye."

0,,~8745823,00.png
0,,~8745822,00.png
0,,~8745821,00.png
0,,~8745813,00.png