The Free Players Thread

wilco1

Reaction score
There are some excellent free players at the start of the game - I highly recommend Eduardo Costa a DMC - he is a Brazilian international and will be a free agent at the start of the game, he is about 26 and has very good stats. They even go up once he starts playing.

Steven Appiah is decent also a free agent but is injured at the start so you may need to wait
Also at New York and La Galaxy, you can sign Angel ST and Van Der Berg D/WB/ AM L (NY) Landon Donovan FC (L A) unfortunately wont arrive until Dec 1ST but their stats are good. I signed them all for Villa and Ajax and they play well. They are very good short term transfers for clubs without mega bucks.

Lastly although he is not free it appears the Raphael Van Der Vaart is always transfer listed by Real Madrid and you can pick him up for about £12/ £13 million and you can pay over 24 months A class act!!! and prob the best player on fm 08 !!!

yeah i got ljungberg for boro for the right wing, he got a few injuries but for free he has no problems in the prem

My scout didn't rate Ljungberg at all, but he might be a useful squad player at West Brom. Appiah wouldn't come to my club, I found him too. As for Van Der Vaart, if he fancies coming to the Albion I'll be shocked, here goes...

Funnily enough the 36k I could offer didn't quite match the 62k he was on at Madrid, but to scouting the Championship then...

Van De Vaart is a very good rotational player for R. Madrid. I didn't notice he was available when I took over at Real but he's young and has very good stats.

I signed Gravesen for Hull in first season, and he was great at first then when he realised what a useless manager I was he started playing as rubbish as the rest of my team.
I missed Lyungberg on a free but got him on loan after he signed for someone in MLS. He is good works hard and get a few assists from right midfield.

I'd have a look at Sebastian Abreu, Seyfo Soley, Stephen Appiah, Ljunberg and if your managing a championship side, try getting Gianluca Palmatieri

Ronaldo is one of the best free tansfers prob is u have to wait 5 months till he recovered from his injury but he plays well and on my game (im with Sporting CP)in 5 games, 4 goals not bad....

My scout picked up Seyfo Soley too, then when I signed him it upset all my other players for some reason. That happens every so often with a player, how can you see this coming so can avoid buying such a player?

I signed Landon Donovan for Middlesbrough and he's easily been one of my best 3 players.

If you have the money, Axel Witsel turns into a quality player.

I've just realised the title! My bad, havn't really looked at free's, don't get much choice when your manager of Hartlepool!

Last edited:
signed ljunberg for my juventus team which helped me finished 2nd in the league and got to the cl final.

rafael carioca can be bought for around 1mil and he is so good, he is a DM and 19 when the game starts, he is flying for my reserves, he's only in my reserves to get experience anyway, but honestly if you can, get him, he turns out really good

Eidur Gudjohnsen is a good freebie, start of first season,
Ivica Olic is not too bad for the start of the second season.

Yeah I'm Bradford and top by a few points after 17 games (tho I'm not a supporter just thought they were due a resurrection). - I got Soley he's definitely worth it at that level but even better is Marvin Andrews. He's 32 with 98!! caps for trinidad but will apparently come to fourth teer football for some pocketmoney. Also got Possebon on loan from Man Utd n he's done really well, not quite as "inspirational" my fans weirdly seem to think he's done but definitely worth it. Also got David Templeton on loan from Hearts, he can be a tad inconsistant but his pace/acc (18/17) often tear up the slow defences you normally find in lower leagues. Also very good loans - left back Steven Smith and Dean Furman both from Rangers and have done really well and a class above the division.

Oh and Paul Gerrard's a good keeper for that division n definitely better than any I had. Hope thats some help.

PS - think I'm gonna quit as Arsenal manager cause I.. am .. crawling through this season and cant wait for these next few weeks to pass cause in Jan Robbie Fowler!! will be arriving for a mere 31k n is sooo much better than other strikers in the division n probably Div 1 n half the championship too (despite being very slow) w000t! :D