jansencja

Reaction score
Been having fun with a tactic that I created from scratch after studying on some of the more successful tactics out there. Since there are the Tiki-Takas, Klopp's and Conte's versions all round this forum, I decided to go for nostalgia. A tactic that was used by a lot of Italian teams back in the 90s and early 2000s. A tactic that introduced the role of the Trequartista, which spawned great Italian players like Baggio, Zola, Chiesa, Totti & Del Piero.

I'm currently half-way through with Roma (no signings) and so I cannot guarantee it will work for any teams and instant success. I have lost twice thus far and I would say I messed up on it during those matches. You will see why on the screenshots.

Style of Play

No OIs ever used. That's why plug and play. I think I'm more of a Guardiola type of tactician as I believed by denying your opposition the ball is as good a form of defense as it gets. But I'm not overly obsessed with it like him. So I chose Control Mentality as a base instead of creating other versions to adjust to situations. I like the idea of opposition adjusting to me. LoL... Fluidity is low as Italian teams are famed for building attacks from defense by instilling solidarity in shape, ala Catennacio evolved.

Training

Pre-season: General (Fitness Very High) & Match (Tactics Only)
Season: General (Balanced Average) & Match (Tactics Only)

Move one notch to the left on Scheduling and un-tick (Allow rest before match) for both before and during season.

Team-talks

Raikan's or Tylerbode's should work. You can see in the screenshots I messed up the Napoli & Atalanta half-time team talks. So do it properly.

Anyway, enjoy it and if anyone wants to tweak it further be my guest.

*** Version 2 consisted of Jassar's Set Pieces ***

Last edited:
Tactic looks good, would give it a try....what skin are you using?

Love the concept of Italian trequartista. Good work.

Is there any defensive version of the tactic you use in scenarios where its needed, or else you are just relying Rossi, Strootman, Florenzi to keep it difficult for the opponents (which btw, they are fully capable of).

Am very interested to know since no player from the midfield is on D-duty and no player is in DM strata.

Last edited:
Love the concept of Italian trequartista. Good work.

Is there any defensive version of the tactic you use in scenarios where its needed, or else you are just relying Rossi, Strootman, Florenzi to keep it difficult for the opponents (which btw, they are fully capable of).

Am very interested to know since no player from the midfield is on D-duty and no player is in DM strata.

I gave it a thought too when setting roles. So I guessed to strike a balance, I set them to normal non-attacking and non-defending central midfielders with supporting role. Though their focus is to 'support' but they still provide good cover because of my 'hassle opponent' shout. Defend role just not benefiting enough as my strategy is control and so I think it will conflict. To further give a bit of a extra body while defending, I installed the central MC to a deep-lying playmaker and De Rossi did drop slightly to pick up possession from deep after interceptions. A bit of Pirlo play if you will.

I'm sure this will work well if you pulled De Rossi's position down to make the formation 4-1-2-1-2. Like the old AC Milan Ancelotti style. A viable tweak but I did not try. I like classic Italia...LOL

thank you for this tactic first season no transfers and very good results i only changed my strikers role to
poacher-defensive forward and dlp's duty to defend

P 46 / W 37 / D 4 / L 5

thank you for this tactic first season no transfers and very good results i only changed my strikers role to

P 46 / W 37 / D 4 / L 5

Do try the DLP as Support sometime as well. Its just beautiful to watch the 3 midfield generals move up and down the pitch with total synchronization and discipline. Since I don't have a test save, but I did use this system for a few friendlies with youth squad mostly and the build up was impressive.

Do try the DLP as Support sometime as well. Its just beautiful to watch the 3 midfield generals move up and down the pitch with total synchronization and discipline. Since I don't have a test save, but I did use this system for a few friendlies with youth squad mostly and the build up was impressive.
Glad you like it bro. The complete wing-back utility is just OP in this version of FM i think. That's what makes this tactic possible. I just took cue from one of the great tactics out there ( Artisan's Magic Rectangle ).

Now i'm doing a Pellegrini's 4-2-3-1 using AFC Wimbledon utilizing the CWB role. So far very fun too...

P 46 / W 37 / D 4 / L 5
neyi değiştirdin taktik ?zerinde

Look's very good friend, i start whit my Masullese Team on Italian lega pro :p

bfp9ht.png

2cwjxty.png

incredible! with inter milan, no new players, in 7 matches 7 victory with best defense. it seems the best tactic i've tried for 14.3.1

bfp9ht.png

2cwjxty.png

incredible! with inter milan, no new players, in 7 matches 7 victory with best defense. it seems the best tactic i've tried for 14.3.1

How are you setting up your training 1 month into the season?

Also, do tell us how did it go against Conte's tactics. I can see you pulled up a win but was the goal from the open play.

How are you setting up your training 1 month into the season?

Also, do tell us how did it go against Conte's tactics. I can see you pulled up a win but was the goal from the open play.

i'm setting my training balanced average and pre match 30% tactics only (I'll change to attacking movement once the tactic will be 100% fluid). I'm also training all my players in their specific roles.
In the match against juventus we have suffered the spaces the wings had, but fortunately the defensive movements were good. possession was equal and also shots, we've had more luck :D

i'm setting my training balanced average and pre match 30% tactics only (I'll change to attacking movement once the tactic will be 100% fluid). I'm also training all my players in their specific roles.
In the match against juventus we have suffered the spaces the wings had, but fortunately the defensive movements were good. possession was equal and also shots, we've had more luck :D

But I would not recommend changing match training focus to ATTACKING MOVEMENT. Cos I realized after the Italian Winter break, your tactic fluidity breaks and that's where you start to play below par. More often the first half they will play atrociously and you need your team-talks to fire them up. Keep it at TACTICS bro. I found it to be the most normalized focus in all situations for this version of FM. If it was any game before FM 12, ATTACKING MOVEMENT will be a good choice.

But I would not recommend changing match training focus to ATTACKING MOVEMENT. Cos I realized after the Italian Winter break, your tactic fluidity breaks and that's where you start to play below par. More often the first half they will play atrociously. Keep it at TACTICS bro. I found it to be the most normalized focus in all situations for this version of FM. If it was any game before FM 12, ATTACKING MOVEMENT will be a good choice.

ok i'll follow your advice and I'll update with ss once arrived at half season ;)

But I would not recommend changing match training focus to ATTACKING MOVEMENT. Cos I realized after the Italian Winter break, your tactic fluidity breaks and that's where you start to play below par. More often the first half they will play atrociously and you need your team-talks to fire them up. Keep it at TACTICS bro. I found it to be the most normalized focus in all situations for this version of FM. If it was any game before FM 12, ATTACKING MOVEMENT will be a good choice.

Good advise. I shall also try to follow it in Spain.

b3pugw.png

2mrz413.png

16gflu8.png

half season. unfortunately we loss at penalties vs carpi in italy cup, but i played with the youth squad. any good advice for young talent for this tactic?

b3pugw.png

2mrz413.png

16gflu8.png

half season. unfortunately we loss at penalties vs carpi in italy cup, but i played with the youth squad. any good advice for young talent for this tactic?

Well...definitely you need good wing-backs, trequartista type of player to fill that postion. As it seems the star performers of my team are these players that usually played there in my Roma save. Even an untrained Gervinho played well there for me.

Wing-backs (Crossing, Stamina, Workrate)
Trequartista (Composure, Off The Ball, Dribbling)

Try training majority of your outfield players (less defenders) with 'Plays One-Twos' PPMs. My Strootman and Pjanic had done it and they are dominating the midfield.

Anyway guys, I've discovered something that works for the MC when testing my Pellegrini's 4-2-3-1 which equally works for the Trequartista tactic. It will increase the number of interceptions in the middle of the park. Will update with a tweak once i finished the Roma season soon.