Reaction score
Introductions
View attachment 1039292
Some of you may already know me, while most of you don’t know me at all.
My name is Jim McGuinness and I am most famous in Ireland for leading my home county Donegal to the All- Ireland Gaelic Football title back in September 2012.
View attachment 1039293
After that success I was contacted by the then manager of Glasgow Celtic Football Club, Neil Lennon to help with the Reserve team squad.
View attachment 1039294

I have had this job since November 2012 and I must say it has been a great education to work with professional football players for the past few years while I have recently completed the Uefa B coaching badge.

At the moment I am 43 years of age, and I feel it is the right time to move on into the hot seat of managing a football club somewhere in the UK and Ireland. I have a clear philosophy about how the game should be played and have learnt a great deal about motivating and man management from my time with both Celtic and the Donegal Gaelic Footballers.

Celtic is my favourite club and my ambition is to return some day as manager. Other clubs that are close to my heart are Derry City, Donegal Celtics, and Finn Harps.

The style of football that I intend to play will be reminiscent of Martin O Neill teams. A fast, physical, counter attacking style that depends on wide players and hard work, determination, and fitness.
Hopefully I can find a club that shares my philosophies.

Last edited:
The quest begins

Beginning in February 2016 at the start of the Irish season, my policy at first was not to openly declare interest in jobs that become available. Instead of sending in application to every available bit of work that came up , I would wait and see what clubs came in for me. The answer was none.

Slowly I realized that I had to spread the word and get my name out there.

On the 1st of April, a mixture of boredom and frustration made me send off an application to Stalybridge Celtic , in Greater Manchester. To be honest I sent it off more as an Aprils fools joke.

A week later the club offered me a job interview and we got down to talking. The chat went well but I knew I wasn't going to take it. The team were doomed to going down out of the National North and I didn't fancy going down with them so, I eventually refused the job after they offered it to me.

Last edited:
first rejection

When I heard on the 19th of June 2016, that Kenny Shiels had been sacked by Derry City, I immediately went and applied to be their next manager.
My excitement turned to disappointment about ten days later when I learnt by a lousy text message that I would not even be considered for an interview. I felt I at least deserved to be given an opportunity to talk and share my vision.

Last edited:
finn harps era

Soon after the disappointment of the snub by Derry city, another opportunity comes along. Finn Harp, a club based in my home county of Donegal are looking for a new manager after firing Ollie Horgan on the 8th of July.

After applying and declaring my interest through the press, one day I receive a call from the chairman of Finn Harps, Sean Quinn, asking me if I would like to chat with him in the town of Ballybofey and put forward my vision for the club. Immediately I jump at the chance of a job interview.
View attachment 164660
View attachment 164659

Myself and Mister Quinn talked at length, and the chat was a productive one. In fact l knew when I left the room that the position was going to be mine, such was the good feeling I had about our meeting. A shared belief about what we wanted to achieve.

On the 31st of July 2016, I was appointed manager of Finn Harps. My first appointment in football. A proud moment for me a brave move by Sean Quinn. I am given an 18 month contract and the aim for this season is to get the team off of the bottom of the table and clear of relegation. Already I look forward to getting stuck in.​

Last edited:
My first day as manager

My first day in my new job.

After I am introduced to the club by Sean the Chairman, he asks me if I would like to meet the backroom staff there and then, that morning. I decide it would be best if we met in the afternoon, as I need to evaluate the club alone.
Tactics

The first thing I want to do is introduce my own tactics to the players and then pick the team. Remembering when I spoke with Sean at the interview, we both agreed that our style of play should be route one, high tempo, get in their face, close them down, while keeping our shape when we don’t have the ball.
View attachment 162954
For this reason, I have instructed the players to try and take a counter attacking mentality for our first game at home to Galway United in five days’ time. This will suit us because I expect Galway to be full of confidence and take the game to us having won their last five matches. Our highly structured shape along with our disciplined approach will complement this mentality and our 4-4-2 formation, meaning everybody will know his job.
View attachment 162953
On top of that I have eleven more instructions for the players including go route one, higher tempo, play with width, exploit the wings, clear the ball to the flanks, and hit early crosses.

Picking the captain and team for the first match

When deciding my captain and vice-captain, I didn’t want to rock the boat so I changed nothing. Kevin McHugh, the club’s legend of a striker remains in place along with vice-captain Ciaran Coll.
View attachment 162951

Strikers
The Finn Park pitch is in rough condition so it’s better for us to go route one with a very high tempo. This means someone will have to play in the role of Target Man-Support and there is only one man for that job. Ryan Curran is our top goal scorer so far this season with five goals and he is the first name on the team sheet.
View attachment 162958
Alongside him up front for our game against Galway United in the role of an Advanced Forward will be our captain and veteran striker Kevin McHugh. McHugh, who will be retiring when the season finishes in December, lacks pace for the role I want him to play in but he will have to do for now.​

Goalkeepers
The second most important position on the pitch is goalkeeper and it appears that I am blessed with two decent goalkeepers’ in Ciaran Gallagher and Richard Brush. Gallagher has the number one jersey and is better at kick-outs so he gets the nod for the match against Galway United.

Flanks

At both full back positions I want two people who are first and foremost good defenders, who are over 6-foot-tall and good in the air. On the right side I have chosen Damian McNulty
While at left full back, I have chosen Tommy McMonagle. That means Ciaran Coll can slot in and protect him on the left side of midfield in the role of defensive winger.

On the opposite flank, we have pacey winger Adam Hanlon. His speed and ability to beat his man plus the flair he possesses, will in my opinion trouble teams.​

Central Defense

View attachment 1037602

Every good partnership in the central defence is about balance and how they complement each other. On the right side of the central pairing is Ryan McConnell, a highly rated young defender with a very strong right foot. On the left side of the centre half partnership is Matt Crossan, an older player with a very strong left foot.
View attachment 1037602

Central Midfield

In the middle of the park, we have the diminutive Mickey Funston in the role of the ball winner. He is only 5 foot six inches tall while his tackling is poor. I believe this is our weakness but I would be glad if he went on to prove me wrong. In the middle of the park I want a tall strong aggressive ball winner who is good in the air and can simply lay the ball off to more creative players.
View attachment 162956
His partner in the centre for the game against Galway United will be McNamee. A young player of 22. Technically this player is good but I wonder about his height, stamina and strength. Three important attributes if you want to play in the centre of the park in this league.​

At this stage I am still trying to find my feet but hopeful that this team will be good enough to beat Galway United at home at the weekend. Looking at the table, we do need to start picking up points soon.​

In the afternoon, shortly after finishing my first meeting with Gavin Dykes, my assistant manager, he sends me on a team report.
View attachment 162950

Ryan McConnell is rated one the best players in the team. And his contract is running out. That’s good to know. All in all, a good days work. Tomorrow I will be introduced to the media.​

Last edited:
Don't quote me- my first press conference

Dealing with the media is nothing new for me. During my time in charge of the Donegal Gaelic Football team, I dealt with the media as fairly as I could. Sometimes they tested my patience and made up lies about us so I had to just simply withdraw my co-operation and not talk to them again.

As I walk into the media room at Finn Park for my first press conference as manager of Finn Harps Football Club, I see five journalists sitting, waiting for me to join them at a long table that is full of microphones. A few bottles of water are also on the table, and as soon as I take my seat, I open a bottle and begin pouring water into my glass.

As I pour, the first question comes at me from Keith Heary of ESPN soccer website, wanting to know about the discussions myself and Sean Quinn have been having?
“We have creative discussions, which bodes well for the future.” I assertively responded. As soon as I heard the question, I was thinking that was a great opportunity not only to thank but more importantly to back my chairman for appointing me in the first place.

Then Lee Jackson from 442 magazine asks “what about the expectations and targets that have been set for the rest of the season? Are they realistic?”
“I’m hardly going to start complaining about expectations when I’m only in the door. The targets have been set and I and the squad have to be the best we can.” I think that’s what I said but don’t quote me on it.

Soon the next thing another question is being thrown at me and its coming from Adam Forde, who questions my allegiance to the club just because I support Derry City as well as Finn Harps.
“Could there be a conflict of interests?” he asked. I just grinned and said “I always work in a professional manner.” I hope he understood what I meant.

The local newspaper man asks me why I “sought out the job?” “This is a place I can try out my ideas.” I said. Then he followed that up by asking “if I could give a prediction for the next 3 games?” I wasn’t going to fall into the trap of making predictions that would heap unwanted pressure on my boys so I refused him that one.
Then Purdy from the Irish Press chips in with “Are you looking forward to the first match?” “Yes. It will be a fantastic occasion.” Was my passionate reply.

Keith Heary from ESPN soccer website asked “Since you’re a local boy, your appointment will help the clubs affinity with their own fans increase. Wouldn’t you agree?” “Absolutely. Its paramount to the long-term success we are trying to achieve here.” said I.

After that I fielded another question from Mister Forde, the tabloid newspaper journalist. He wants to know “whether I will be asking Mister Quinn for some more money to improve the squad soon?” “The club finances are not up for discussion.” Was my curt reply.

Then came the next question:

“How do you see your management style?” Wondered Keith Heary. “The players can come to me with anything.”
At this stage I was getting tired and was trying to get the signal from the press officer that we were about finished, when a voice shouted up and asked “Did you learn from Ollie Horgan's time here? “I don’t want to disrespect another manager by discussing his time at the club.” I stated.

Then Lee Jackson from 442 magazine asked “Are confident in your own ability to succeed here?” “I can’t wait to get stuck in here and firmly believe in the player’s ability to reach their target.” I assertively responded.
“Will you be making many changes at the club, in terms of people moving on?” questioned Lee Jackson once again, to which I said “Everyone will have their chance to prove their worth.”

The final question of the press conference came from Keith Heary when he asked “Can you turn things around here and lead them to where they wanted to be at the start of the season?” to which I cautiously warned “this will take time to fix properly.”

Eventually the press conference came to an end after the last question, which was the sixteenth question of the day. When I got home that night I was glad.

Pre-match build up to Galway match

Ahead of my managerial debut in football, the build-up starts the day before, when the bookmakers release the odds for the match and both sets of managers have their traditional pre-match conference.
Even though we have home advantage for the match we are priced at 7 to 1 odds to win. This seems to be based on the fact that Galway have won their last 5 games in a row while we are propping up the table at the bottom. It’s understandable when you think of it like that. A crowd of around 670 is expected for the clash.​

Just before my pre match press conference, I learn that one of the club’s former players has criticized the form of my current right full-back Damien McNulty. When Kevin Heary of ESPN soccer website asked about this at the press conference, I respond
“It’s my policy in pre-match conferences to never speak about opposition players as I don’t want to fuel their fire any more than I already have, so all questions about opposition players are kindly refused.

The next day after releasing the team sheet to the media I began to realize that certain members of the press have it in for me already.
View attachment 164135

Standing in the tunnel being questioned by one of our own, local journalist Stuart McLaughlin from the Ballybofey Times, started off by asking “why Gareth Harkin has been omitted from the starting line-up?” I answered
I am not prepared to answer that silly question.” It seems I am not allowed to make decisions regarding my own team selection!

I could not believe my ears when I heard him ask the next question. “Why is there a change of tactics on the cards?” “I have changed the tactics today because I am a new manager here, who has taken over a team that sits at the bottom of the table. I have picked a team and style that gives us the best chance of winning.”With that I walked towards the pitch for my first match in charge of Finn Harps.

Last edited:
Always enjoy careers that usually begin in Ireland/Northern Ireland so I will be definitely following for sure. Good luck at Harps.

Finn Harps V Galway United

Pre-match team talk
“The fact that we are 7/1 in our own back yard is an insult to the club, the supporters, and more importantly you, the players. Let’s prove to the fans how much we care about this club. Let’s prove to the pundits that you should never write off this team, but more importantly let’s prove to ourselves that we are a Premier Division Team and that we are no pushovers anywhere, especially not in front of our own fans!”
View attachment 163997

View attachment 163996

That team-talk seemed to work a treat as the lads went out and got the Jim McGuinness era off to a flyer.

After 36 minutes, with Galway unable to clear the ball properly, one of the best goalmouth scrambles I have ever seen, eventually resulted in Ryan Connolly putting the ball past his own keeper.
Just before half-time Ciaran Gallagher made a vital stop to deny Galway striker Enda Curran from equalising.

At half time I told the players to keep doing what they were doing, and so they did because
the second-half was very comfortable for us, especially when McHugh anticipated McNultys' early cross from the right flank.
This victory has given hope and confidence to everyone at the club and with nine games left to play in the season, it has reinvigorated our season.

As I was walking back towards the dressing room at the end of the match, I was stopped and asked about the effect the victory will have on us. "It gives us a reason to take an optimistic approach in the future." I asserted.

When the players were back in the dressing room, I told them all with tears of pride in my eyes, that they should be proud of themselves after being written off by so many people. Now we look forward to the next game with great belief but now know that one of our best players, Ryan McConnell will be missing for the St Patricks Athletic game because of injury.
Finally, a mention for Tony McNamee, the man of the match award recipient that proved all my secret doubts about him wrong. Thankfully. Now I am really looking forward to his next match.

Last edited:
mind games back firing

During the post-match conference on Friday night (last night) after our win against Galway United, Mister Forde from one of the tabloids asks me “how do you think Wexford Youths will respond when they play tomorrow, considering you have won tonight?” to which I explained “I’m expecting a strong response from them tomorrow.”

Lets take a look now at all of the weekend results...
View attachment 163881
View attachment 163879

When I said " I'm expecting a strong response from them tomorrow", I said it to put pressure on Wexford , so they might crack. Instead they go and beat Dundalk 1-0 with a late winner. In other results, St. Pats show their superiority with 3-0 win away from home against Bray Wanderers. Bohemians wallop Cork 4-1 at home. Longford sneak a 1-0 victory at home to Derry while Sligo triumph over Shamrock Rovers in Tallaght.​

Despite having beating Galway 2-0 we are still bottom with 9 games left to play till the end of the season.

Last edited:
table and fixtures

Here is the table as it stands

View attachment 163869

The way the relegation works in this League is, the bottom team gets automatically relegated after the 33 games of the season have been played, while the team finishing 11th will go into a relegation playoff with a team that finished 2nd in the division below ours.

Looking at the table, the fact is only 4 points separates 7th from us in 12th position. That is how tight it is. With just nine games to play, any of the teams in the bottom half cannot say they are safe from relegation yet. Every game is like a cup final from now on.

And here is next Friday nights round of matches. Dundalk host Shamrock Rovers on Tuesday night in a crucial mid-week game for both sides as it is both teams game in hand. The first of our cup finals is at home to St. Pats of Inchicore, Dublin. The other big game of the night is Bray versus Derry City in Brays home ground. There is a lot to be playing for.View attachment 1038266

Last edited:
Selection headaches

Now the focus has switched to the arrival of St. Patricks Athletic to the town of Ballyboffey, to take us on next Friday night in Finn Park.
Hearing the news from the club physio that McConnell will miss the match is a disappointment, but it gives a chance to our only viable replacement, Packie Mailey.
View attachment 163787
An aggressive, brave, tall and fast centre-half that despite all the physical attributes fails at the basics of defending like marking and tackling the opposition. He will get his chance next Friday night to impress and earn a new contract here next year.

The club scout, Paul Hayes informs me via a report that Pats mostly play with five across the midfield. Having watched their last match on video, I have taken the decision to try and counter act that by lining up with a 4-1-4-1. Pats are good going forward having put 3 past Bray away from home in their last match, and a real danger from dead ball situations, so our focus in training this week will be defending those situations.
The big call
Playing with the lone striker, means one of the two boys that were up front in the last match will drop to the bench for this game. Deciding who drops to the bench is a difficult decision to make but eventually I decide to drop the club legend and captain, Kevin McHugh.
Even though McHugh scored in the last match, I feel Ryan Curran has the physical attributes to play as the lone striker against St. Pats. We have two games in four days coming up so I feel McHugh will be better off rested for this.

As I am a believer in horses for courses so Josh Mailey will fill that anchor man position between the midfield and back four. Again because of how threadbare our squad is, we have only one option, and that is Mailey. He is a player I don’t rate but he will have to do for now.
View attachment 163785
The extra man in midfield means there will be less responsibility on young Tony McNamee to perform his defensive duties. For that reason, I have instructed him to play more as an advanced playmaker for this game. This new role will suit him even better so I am hopeful of another good performance from him.

View attachment 163786

I believe the team I have selected and set up to play St. Pats can get something from the game. A draw might be enough to be considered a good result. It depends on how Bray go against Derry City that night. I would be more confident if McConnell was available. All we can do is fight on.​

Last edited:
Pitch Condition

The media focused on the condition of the playing surface of Finn Park in both press conferences yesterday. Their manager, Liam Buckley, was having a dig at it, saying that it was in a terrible condition and maybe that’s how I want to keep it.
As far as I’m concerned, if they don’t like it, - they can lump it!
View attachment 163692

When I was asked about it I was like “Ah sure- isn’t it the same for both teams. Sure, It’s in bad nick but both teams will have to find a way of dealing with it.”
Some of the pundits think we might sneak a draw but St. Pats were certain favourites in the bookmaker’s eyes with a 4/5 price on offer. Our odds are 3/1, less than half of what they were offering before last week’s win against Galway.
View attachment 163690

Last edited:
Post match Reaction

After the match, the fans are disappointed. Especially since we didn’t manage to have a shot on goal throughout the whole 90 minutes.
View attachment 1038681
The headline in the sports pages of the paper reads
View attachment 1038705
Derry City late winner against Bray means the bottom of the table looks this.
View attachment 1038694
With 8 games to go till the end of the season its tight at the bottom. Anything can happen, so we still have hope of survival.
View attachment 1038715
The main problem we had in the last match was going forward. The fact that our top scorer has only 5 goals says it all. It is an area we need to improve in and in the next couple of days, I intend to recruit a Striker to gives us some threat in attack.
View attachment 1038709

Last edited:
Team selection and Media Predictions for my first away game

I have only made two changes to the side that lost to St. Pats for the next match against Shamrock Rovers. McConnell returns from injury to take his place alongside Crossan in the centre of the defence while the other change sees Dave Scully get his chance at the expense of Ryan Curran. The team formation and instructions remain the same.
View attachment 163363

View attachment 163362
Rovers at home are seen as strong favorites by the media for this match, my first away match as Manager of the Harps.​

Last edited: