The journey of a Rotherham born and bread

emoasyou

Reaction score
1st​ of July 2011

Today without a doubt proves dreams can come true. My name is Mark Dimbleby from the small town of Rotherham in South Yorkshire and I’m 25 years old and just about to start my career in football management. I have had no experience in playing football and im looking to start a carrer in football management . Recently passing my exams in coaching I applied for a job as the vacant manager of a non league club Bishop’s Stortford hoping to start a successful career in football management.

As I eagerly anticipate the big interview Im sat here thinking about what I can bring to the world of football and the skills I possess I think.. NO! I know will make me one of the future prospects in football management. Other than the fact I have my coaching badges and I’m qualified to take up such an opportunity I’m hard working determined, and ready to try everything in my power to get the job I have dreamed about for so long.

When I was a child I always wanted to be a football manager it was never about playing football for me it was a about the tactical side what position would I play this player, how do you out flank the opponent and how to keep possession. I played lots of strategic games and I found I add a great mind for the tactical side of things so I decided to implement that into football.

I prefer to look at young sides so I can develop the prospects and the Bishop’s Stortford squad is young and perfect for me to turn into my own team and to try and make my own blend of football also to develop the youth and talent the team as. Having an average age of 22 this team is brilliant to develop.

These are the type of things I will tell the Chairman I aim to achieve and also what I believe I can bring to the team. I have a great tactical mind and hope to show this I cant really tell the board what tactics I hope to use, without seeing the team. If I do get the job I can look towards the talented and ambitious young squad and take them to hights they have never seen give the fans something to really shout about. My real aim for this squad is to push for promotion within the next 3 years with a young side this I possible and I hope to be their or abouts in the next 2 years.

Im a passionate person and I will instill to find this same passion in the players I have available to me. With a young squad I think it will be very important to try and rotate the team as much as possible and also to look for more experienced players to bring in.

Here I am thinking of things to say I’m usually a nervous wreck before an interview but I feel a sensation of calm blowing over me like a breaze of fresh air. After a few hours im called in I go through the details that I have had in my head. Reading the notes I made before I came in turned out to be vital as I could tell the chairmen Luiggi Del Basso exactly what I had envisioned for his club, after all that’s what this is it’s the man’s lifeblood his legacy and I’m here to tell the guy I am the right man to lead his legacy onwards.

A few hours pass and I leave the interview giving Del Basso a firm handshake he seems pleased with the things I have said and happy with my passion that I have shown today. I can see ambition in the man’s eyes the same ambition I have if I'm given this opportunity I believe we can take this club places.

As I Ieave Woodside park I can feel that sensation of calm again. I feel really confident maybe this is the chance i have been waiting for maybe now is my time.

Last edited:
3rd​ July 2011

Laid in bed a a sleep next to my gorgeous fiancé I cant stop thinking about whether or not I’ve got the job, did I sell myself, did I miss something out were my goals realistic did we share the same ambition. I’m starting to get nervous that nice relaxing calm as shifted and in comes anguish and uncertainty starting to feel warm. sweating uncontrollably nausea's even.

I hate this feeling and I know it only going to get worse if I don’t hear by Monday my dream is over stalled maybe I guess over is dramatic. No its not if I cant get this chance il go into a shutdown faze. When things do go my way I tend to shut off completely. But this is my dream and I can’t let this pass me by I will be a football manager one day and that day is upon us. Thinking out loud ok im going crazy. Kinda eccentric, maybe that’s a good thing who knows.

Monday comes and I’ve been sat by the phone since 5 o’clock who knows what time Del Basso will ring he might want to get started early.

Ring, Ring

Me: Hello,

Mysterious phone call: Hiya mark its your mum.

Me: what ? why you calling this early? I was expecting an important phone call.

Mum: oh I was just wondering how you were doing is all not seen you in a while I miss you.

Me: well I might have some big news soon don’t want to jinz it though so I will come by in a few days going to have to go now though nice to hear from you though.

Mum: Oh ok then talk soon bye.

It was a false call not the biggest call of my life, was nice to hear from my mum though understatement when she said she’d not heard from me in a while been so busy with the coaching badges and also with planning for my big wedding coming up next year in March that I’ve just not been able to find time to visit home.

Ring, Ring

This must be it!

Last edited:
The Phone call

Del Basso: Hello Mr Dimbleby its Luigi Del Basso from Bishop’s Stortford. Do you have time to talk?

Me: Yes, of course I do.

Del Basso: OK ! well Mr Dimbleby after numerous interviews and looking through many plans of action and portfolios none hits me quite as strikingly as yours. You show a great amount of desire and passion and I believe your youth and enthusiasm is exactly the type of leadership we need here at Bishop’s Stortford and so I would love to offer you a position as the First team manager of the club.

Me: (stunned) Sorry did you say you would like to offer me a position?

Del Basso: Oh did you have problems hearing me? Yes Mr Dimbleby I believe you are the right man to take my club forward.

Me: Thank you so much sir it would be my honor and pleasure to take you up on this opportunity, when will I get to see my staff and squad ?

Del Basso: We would like you to come in tomorrow if possible.

Me: Yes that’s possible I look forward to it.

Del Basso: I would like to offer you a contract in the region of £500 pounds per week running until June 2013.

Me: Oh yes that’s fine, I am happy to sign the contract sir.

Del Basso: OK! I look forward to your reign as manager and we will have our first meeting tomorrow and you will be able to sign your contract and ask any questions you may have. Also you will get to speak to your team and staff for the first time. So yes see you tomorrow.

Wow ! had that really just happened am I really officially a football manager?

I pinch myself expecting to wake up, I don’t, because it’s real.

Last edited:
Tuesday the 7th of July 2011

As I enter the woodside park for the first time as the manager of Bishop’s Stortford I feel proud of my accomplishment, I am here today to sign my contract and to meet my team and staff. The first thing that I see as I walk in to the staff room is how little staff I have and soon see that I don’t have an assistant. So the first piece of business I will need to make is to find one.

As I continue to walk down the hallway I enter the chairman’s office the board meeting is about t start there is a consortium of people and they all take part in the business side of things at the club. Thankfully this isn’t the part of the club I will be working on im here to implement a new lifeblood into the squad of determination and passion.

As time passes the board meeting comes to an end I have officially signed my contract and I am the manager of Bishop’s Stortford. The board let me know that there is no funds available to spend at this time and I will have to look to sign players on free and also as this is a semi-professional club I will also have players here under no contract who don’t actually get a wage from the club. They receive payment for each appearance they make. To start with I my take advantage of this to see what players I can develop into my new regime, after I have an idea of who’s part of my plans I will look to sign the players to part time contracts.

The board tell me I can they expect me to at least make a safe mid table finish this season I tell them I believe that is possible and accept that as my goal for the season.

As I look for a new assistant I come across a Barbadian assistant who is un-proven like myself goes by the name of Dalton Steele he looks a good choice for my numer 2 so I send him a contract offer by email hoping he will get back to me soon.

So today is training day me and my coaches set out some intensive physical work out for the first week of preseason I want my players in top shape for the upcoming season, I believe the best way forward is to push them to the limit in physical training then they will have built up their stamina for the gruelling season ahead.

Looking at my staff n action today I decide they are not up to the standard I need and as bad as I feel about it I know I will have to let them go so I offer them mutual terminations and they accept.

The next day I receive an email from Dalton Steele saying he is happy to accept my offer and will come in straight away. This is great news as it means I can start to build my own staff and look to push on.

Dalton Steele: Hello sir good day to you, I am very happy to have been given this opportunity and hope we can have a successful tenure together here at the club.

Me: I am very happy you accepted my offer Dalton as I believe you’re the right calibre of assistant I need to progress further with this club. I would like you to take care of training today and come back to me with a report of what players you think are the best in the club.

Daton Steele: Yes sir, I will do that right away.

It was great to talk to Dalton today, he seemed to have the same amount as desire as myself and I am sure hes the right choice, I will look to find more staff over the coming days.

Last edited:
Wednesday the 8th of July 2011

As I look for new staff I send out some emails of contract offers to a few unproven coaches both with decent fitness coaching skills, as I believe this to be very important in lower leagues. It’s not completely about fitness there is a certain level of ability needed also but fitness is fundamental in making a successful team.

Dalton Steele got back to me with a team report I start to look it over thoroughly and will now start to attend training myself so I can see what players I should pick in my first few friendlies see were my strength lies in this team.

View attachment 265804

Last edited:
Looking at the report I was given by Dalton I have a clearer view on what players should be in my team and what positions I should look to strengthen if possible.
The main players Dalton seems to have a lot of faith in or..

Central Defender Mark Haines

Haines is a 21 year old central defender on load from Chelmsford he started his career at Northampton and as gone down the division’s since then. He however looks a promising prospect for my team and will be in the center of my defence. Dalton Believe Haines is good in the air, I will look to utilize his heading with encouraging him to fight for anything aerially. Also I will look for him to be in the box for any set piece opportunities. The one problem Dalton believes haines may have is his the fact he as poor positioning skills. I will look for him to stay in one phase and look to do nothing else then clear his defensive line.

Other then Haines Dalton was impressed by Matt Johnson and Scott Shuliton in the middle of the park.

this I find very encouraging as I will look to keep possession in the middle of the pitch I believe 2 central midfielders will be great to work at this. As I seem to be weak on the wings I will look to play a 4-4-2 diamond so that this wont be an issue working with a rigid slow methodical pace and using width.

Matt Johnson is 21 years old and he is a Bishop’s Stortford player under a part time contract I will look to offer him a new contract so I can utilize him in my future plans. Johnson will be utilized as a ball winning midfielder and shows great team work. So I think he will be able to help his team mate in the center of midfield if they have any trouble.

Scott Shuliton also 21 is also under a part time contract with the club and will be the main threat going forward in my midfield 4 playing in an advanced play-maker role. Shuliton also shows great team work.

I will look to play young teenager Harry Milton in Defense Midfield and alongside Johnson will be 20 year old Sam Ives.

My young midfield could be improved with some experience ideally in the defense midfield as I am cautious of whether Milton will be able to cope with the pressure.

But the main issue is the right of defense as I don’t believe Ritchie Jones is of the right calibre.

Today I will get a closer look at my players and also how they will work with my tactic as I they will have a run out against my reserve team I’m looking forward to this match as it will be the first time I will really get a look at who will feature in my line-up.

Before the match up I called 3 players into my office these were all right wingers and because I play with 4 central midfielder’s in a diamond 4-4-2 they had found themselves surplus to requirements so I released them from their contracts It was a tough decision. But as the manager I am here to make those decisions.

As I step out on the pitch for the first game I feel happy to be here as its been a long journey and now I am about to watch my team play my reserves run by Dalton and it’s very interesting to see how the players work with my tactic.

The first thing I realise is the midfield is very compact and all 4 players like to pass the ball around, it makes for very entertaining football. Im very happy to see the Scott Shulton is fairly comfortable in all set piece situations including penalties. And Matt Johnson as a dangerous long throw.

I am higly impressed with Sebastian Dunbar on the left of defence he likes to get forward and does swing in a great ball every so often. He split the defence open with a long ball forward on a number of occasions and the first time I went to forward Ricky Sappleton. He looked to be taking too much time on the ball but in the end he scurried it home. I was please to see one of my strikers find the net early on.

I was quite disappointed to see him limp off a few minutes later though. I brought on youngster Dwight Gale on loan from Dagenham and Redbrigde

And it paid dividens in a fine move Matt Johnson launched a ball over the top and Craig Calver recived it and crossed into Gayle who headed home.

And the match was finished off by another long ball forward from Dunbar who found Gayle in plenty of space and he was able to slot it home.

I was pleased with the teams performance and it was a very good run out the one problem I found though, was that we didn’t have any true leader on the pitch and it could be vital to have someone on to grab the game by the scruiff of the neck if were in trouble.

So my first game in charge finishes 3-0 to us ok it was also against my team but it was a confidence boost for the first team and were ready to march on against our next opponent.

First match in front of a crowd this is a big day up against Hampton and Richmond in Blue Square South. This will be an interesting test as it very much is against a team of similar quality to ourselves and I will be hoping for a positive performance.

I will be using the freindlies to look at my options and who is going to be in my plans and were we could improve the squad so far the right of defence seems an issue and I will hope to find a true leader for the team.

As I was looking for a new right defender I found a solution to my problems a first team right defender 30 years of age with true leadership skills Daniel Terries he comes in to my team not only as my best right defender but also considered the best player at the club.

I also decided to look to sign a new central defender as I think we need a little more in that position. If I get in a solid central defender I believe the team will almost be complete. The last position I would like to strengthen is central defence midfield as I think we could do with more experience in the middle of the field.

The new central Defender I signed was George Beaven who can also play left side of Defense and Daniel Terris can also play in the centre considered the strongest in that postion also. I looked to sign 35 year old Willie Boland as I feel he can offer us some experience and stability in the defense midfied role

Over the following days towards the friendly on the 11th​ I was very happy to see the staff I had hand picked was coming into place just one more player to sign and the team would be ready also. I am very pleased with how things are shaping up.

11th​ of July 2011

Beaven has not yet signed and my team isn’t complete just yet. I was hoping to have my new center defender in place before the first friendly but having almost all my players fit and signed is good enough. I feel a great amount of pleasure as I step out on to the pitch with my lads were not playing home today but the crowd still gives us a warm welcome. I will look to start with my new first team and rotate in some backups today but im hoping for a confident performance.

In a very poor friendly I was disappointed to see my team get played off the pitch we looked really uncomfortable off the ball and really need to tighten up also Dunbar gave away a needless penalty after 3 mins that put them in front. Overall a very average performance we lost 2-0 we did however make changes and look stronger in the second half. Much improvement needed before the season starts.

Last edited:
After a terrible first friendly all I wanted to do was go home and curl up in bed next charlotte it was a gruelling first match to watch I hated the fact we just couldn’t keep the ball and even worse how bad we looked on the back foot. The team look good in possession but the moment we lose it I shudder improvement must be made.
Charlotte: Babe or you ok?

Me: I’m fine babes just really frustrated was a terrible start today. I just wish it would have gone a little better.

Charlotte: let’s not talk about the match then, hows about wedding talk hehe.
she starts to beem in joy, as great as it is to finally be in the football management world charlotte is my world and I would give it all up for her. Thanfully she supports me 100% and getting married is the one thing that means more to me then management.

When ever im in a bad place she always know’s how to cheer me up and put a smile on my face. She truly is an amazing and beautiful woman.

Charlotte: So you think the team can turn it around?

I can tell she’s trying to show interest but there really isn’t any there as she hates football and finds it mundane.

so instead of answering I put my arms around her and embrace her as we kiss.

12th​ July 2011

After a terrible first friendly its back to the drawing board and with a week to go till the next I decided to continue the fitness training as the players seemed able to work that little extra and fatigue didn’t become an issue in the last game.

Goerge beaven signed is contract and now i believe my team is complete and will continue to work hard to find the right formula in the next friendly against Gillinghamm in a weeks time.

As we use a narrow formation I have opted to use a very narrow length pitch and hope to cause lots of problems at home not allowing teams to play with width and outnumbering them in the center of the field.

After a really hard fought battle in the center of the field the team go down 1-0 at half time and really don’t deserve it as they played well and kept the play narrow which casued Gillingham a number of problems. Its was a good first half display and more of that will put us in good stead for the start of the season as Gillingham or of much greater quality then ourselves.

It was a much better second half and Gillingham pulled further ahead with 30 mins to go. Gayle was taken down in the box with 10 mins to go and Shulton scored from the spot. In a nervy last ten mins for Gillingham the team battled hard but weren’t able to get the equaliser. This was a much better performance and aganst far better quality team very impressed with how the players came back.

Me: Well done guys, you played your socks off today and that’s great to see in pre season. Very happy we had 56% of possession against a team considered to be far better then ourselves and against teams more around our own quality that possession will turn into goals. Keep up the hard work from today and our fitness levels will be great and we will give any team in this league a run for their money.

View attachment 265815

Last edited:
Next we play Kettering in 2 days time as this match is so close to the game just played I will rotate the players to see who else can challenge for a place in the team

After the Gillingham game I go for a walk to clear my head the sun is shining and I’m feeling confident. The team really worked hard today and they kept going which goes to show my fitness training working great.

As I believe they are the best 2 prosects at the club I offer part time contracts to Scott Shulton and Matt Johnson and hope they accept as they are the life of my midfield.

Next up is kettering again at home so I will again look to dominate possession but hopefully do more with it. Most Important though I would like the team to offer more discipline off the ball.

Disaster after 5 mins a fluke cross come goal beats my Backup goalkeeper.

Bad defensive play leads to another goal as kettering apply pressure to my defense as they seem to relaxed. Another bad start as only 20 mins have gone. There was a missed tackle and Craig got to tight and ended up being turned easily in the box.

The second half couldn’t come soon enough as kettering were all over us in that half. Made a few changes and told the players to not close down any more and this seemed to do the trick as the team battled hard and pulled a goal back through Prestedge with 10 mins to go couldn’t find an equaliser though.

View attachment 265816

Last edited:
With only 2 friendlies to go I chose a lineup of backups to play Eastbourne boro to see what players could do a job if needed and yet again the standout performer and MOM was Dunbar on the left wing he was truly inspired. Also Gudalevic the backup goalkeeper put in a solid performance showing he was got potential to push for a first team pace in the future.

The team really impressed me with their passing as we moved the ball around the pitch with every player getting over 20 passes or so except for substitutes.

The game was very open and could have gone either way in the end but my team battled till the very end and Shulton came on and crossed in from a freekick and it was headed against the bar by Artemi.

View attachment 265820

View attachment 265821

Last edited:
Any 1 interested in this please comment put some effort in to this and hope theres followers

With the final friendly to be played in a few days my physio comes in to give me some news

Knock Knock

Me: Hello

Physio: Hiya boss its Steve Bradbury.

Me: Oh hiya Steve sorry to say mate but kinda wish you wasn’t here as it can only really be bad news.

Steve: Yeah sorry boss but yeah it is.

Me: Get right to it then what’s the matter.

Steve: Scott Shulton as pulled a hernia in training and is going to be out for around 6 to 7 weeks.

I'm In dis-pear not only my best play maker is out but also the only decent set piece player this couldn’t have been any worse.

Me: Well thanks for coming to tell me the news its extremely unfortunate and especially for Scott as he is an integral part of the team. Please let me know how he gets on and of any thing else happens.

With the season about 2 weeks a away the news couldn’t have been worse Shulton is by far one of our most influential players and were really going to miss him. Think I will have to look on the free market for a replacement set piece player.

As I looked on the free list for a half decent set piece player I couldn’t find one and decided to give my guys a chance so Matt Johnson taking the corners and Harry Milton taking the free kicks.

Up next is the Thurrock game

30th​ of July 2011

Up against Thurrock I play my fittest team hoping to have no more big injuries before the start of the season here we play away to a team we should be able to get a win against would be great to cap off our pre-season with a win as we haven’t been able to so far.

6 minuets gone and we have a corner Johnson steps up the ball comes in at pace and hits a Thurrock defenders head and bounces in wow! A set piece goal with out the king maybe we can still do well from them.

10 minuetes gone a Milton free kick great ball in bounces in front of the keeper he fumbles it and gayle scores from close range. Now that’s just awesome 2 set pieces 2 goals who’d have fought it.
26 minuetes Calver through on goal the keeper comes to slid it away and fumbles it into Gayles path he just walks the ball into the net for his second.

30th​ minuete corner wouldn’t it be sweet if this went in?

Johnson crosses in with pace again Artemi jumps up and mets the ball with is head BANG GOAL!!
2 corners and one free kick now that’s just crazy.

After an amzing half hour we have destroyed Thurrock and this could get embarrassing.
Half time.

Me: Well boys we needed a big performance today to put us in good sted before the start of the league next week and boy have you guys delivered I never expected to be 4-0 up after 30 minuetes. Also the goal’s coming from set pieces Scott would be so proud of you guys at home. And so am I ecstatic even just go out there and do the same.

Thee scond half seemed a lot quitter and it could only be finished one way and that’s what happened.
Gayle is at a tight angle looks round the corner sees the keeper in the net he knows he can beat him and isn’t scared to have a crack. He shoots from an impossible angle and the ball riffles in the top left hand corner wow what a goal.

The match finished that way an beautiful performance and the team seem to be have confidence now hopefully they can pull this out the bag in the match that counts next week against Stalybridge.

View attachment 265862

Last edited: