Reaction score
National team stories can be boring I know and especially with teams like Scotland, who never seem to win anything. But I will give it my best shot and hope you will like it.

-------------------------------

attachment.php

CRAIG LEVEIN RESIGNS AS SCOTLAND MANAGER

Craig-Levein-001.jpg

Craig Levein today stepped down as Scotland manager due to personal commitments. He is known to have been a good manager for Scotland and his departure is a complete disappointment to all those who had loved him in the job. The job is open for grabs and there are too many people who could take over from Levein including Kenny Dalglish and Sir Alex Ferguson

Sir Alex Ferguson (Man Utd) 5/1
Kenny Dalglish (Liverpool) 6/1
David Moyes (Everton) 6/1
Alex McLeish (Birmingham) 8/1
Walter Smith (Rangers) 9/1
Neil Lennon (Celtic) 9/1
Jim Jeffries (Hearts) 15/1

----------------------------

attachment.php

SCOTTISH LEGEND TAKES SCOTLAND HOT SEAT

Kenny-Dalglish-picture.jpg

Former Scottish forward and legendary Liverpool player Kenny Dalglish takes over the reins of the Scottish national team. The Scot left his scout job in Liverpool and decided to take over the reins of his country with the aim of taking it to the European Championships in 2012. Dalglish is regarded as one of the best strikers to have graced the game and the former Liverpool hitman is now delighted to be offered the role of national team manager.

"I think it is an honour to be among the managers of Scotland and I feel that I can give my country my best." Dalglish was quoted as saying. We managed to get some reactions from the players too.

"Kenny is a great person and a very big role model to most of us, so hopefully Scotland can prosper under him"
-
Darren Fletcher, Manchester United

"Craig was a good manager but now that he is gone, we can do nothing about it. Kenny has loads of experience with him and it would really boost the side."
-Barry Ferguson, Birmingham City

"Kenny is like a breath of fresh air for us. I hope it would be great to work with him."
-David Weir, Glasgow Rangers.

---------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Will be interesting, I'll definitely follow :)

Are you going to try to get Barry Ferguson to play for Scotland again?

Nice start mate! good strong OP. Im doing a story in the scottish leagues just got some good youth potential coming through now :) take a look :D

attachment.php

KENNY DALGLISH REVAMPS BACKROOM STAFF

A brief look at the new changes in the backroom staff of Scotland.

921655.jpg

Assistant Manager: Danny McGrain (Celtic)

Roberto-Mancini_9.jpg

Under-21 Manager: Roberto Mancini (Manchester City)

Moyes.jpg

Under-19 Manager: David Moyes (Everton)

Coaches: Francesco Ayestaran, Ivan Carminati (Manchester City), Rene Meulensteen (Manchester United), John Park (Celtic), Liam Brady (Arsenal)

Goalkeeping Coach: Christophe Lollichon (Chelsea)

Physios: Johannes Breum (Brondby), Pavel Kolar, Jiri Fousek, Magnus Forsbald, Lieven Maesschalck, Gavin McCarthy (Celtic)

"I am delighted to welcome all of the appointed members to the Scottish backroom setup. They are as key as my players and I am sure that each and every one of them will do a great job here." said Dalglish during the press conference organised at Hampden Park to announce the appointments.

-----------------------------------------------

attachment.php

HAMPDEN PARK NO MORE NATIONAL STADIUM FOR SCOTLAND

Hampden_Park_WP_EN.JPG

Three days after changing the backroom staff, Kenny Dalglish has announced that Hampden Park would no more be regarded as the sole national stadium for Scotland. The stadium, iconic in it's history of Scottish football, enjoys a long and glorious history. But all that seems to have come to an end.

Hampden Park would be one of the host stadiums regularly getting games but the matches would also be played at other stadiums like the Ibrox Stadium, home of the Glasgow Rangers and Celtic Park, home to the other major Scottish club, Celtic.

The first home match for Scotland in the coming months is the European qualifiers against Liechtenstein and the Scottish FA decided that the game will be played at the Ibrox Stadium in Glasgow.

-----------------------------------

attachment.php

BARRY FERGUSON ANNOUNCES RETIREMENT

barry-ferguson-tattoo-201689676.jpg

Birmingham defensive midfielder Barry Ferguson has today announced his retirement from international fooball. In a brief statement, he wished Scotland all the best in future and hope that they would succeed under Kenny Dalglish. For his part, Dalglish commented that Ferguson had done a lot to Scottish football and deserved his place in history. He said that Ferguson has often been the key player to the side in many a situation.

He wished Ferguson all the best in club football and asked him to consider coaching for Scotland if he could, in the future.

---------------------------------

attachment.php

ANTICIPATION REACHES PEAK AS DALGLISH IS DUE TO ANNOUNCE SCOTLAND SQUAD IN TWO DAYS

fletcher0903reu_799833c.jpg

The anticipation is high all over Scotland as Kenny Dalglish is due to announce the Scotland squad to face Sweden in a friendly away from home in Stockholm. Sunderland goalkeeper Craig Gordon and Wigan defender Gary Caldwell will definitely miss out even as doubts remain over Rangers defender Andy Webster's fitness.

While some like Darren Fletcher can be assured of their places in the side, others like many Scotland-based players can only hope that luck is on their side.

-------------------------------------------------------------

---------- Post added at 04:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 AM ----------

Will be interesting, I'll definitely follow :)

Are you going to try to get Barry Ferguson to play for Scotland again?

I don't think so. I've got Fletcher, and some few nice people from Rangers, Hearts, Celtic and Motherwell who can play well in defensive midfield. But he's a big man. We'll miss him :(

---------- Post added at 04:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 AM ----------

Nice start mate! good strong OP. Im doing a story in the scottish leagues just got some good youth potential coming through now :) take a look :D

I've read your story. Nice one so far. KIU. And yeah, the potentials are pretty high in the lower leagues in Scotland..

Last edited:
Look forward to more updates good start and some hibs and aberdeen players may be worth a shot as they are very underated by attibutes compared to how they play

Galbraith
Wotherspoon
Hanlon
Riordan
Mark Brown
Langfield
Pawlett
Fyvie
Grimmer

good start, love internationals--> doing a story with the Uruguay team :)

Look forward to more updates good start and some hibs and aberdeen players may be worth a shot as they are very underated by attibutes compared to how they play

Galbraith
Wotherspoon
Hanlon
Riordan
Mark Brown
Langfield
Pawlett
Fyvie
Grimmer

Thanks. Will be taking a look at them in the future. Already finished my first three games vs Sweden Lithuania and Liechtenstein. Probably vs Czech Republic and Spain they might get in.

@Zaiaz: I love your Uruguay story. Just started reading it.
@Sumner: Thanks :)

---------- Post added at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

SCOTLAND SQUAD ANNOUNCED

Six May Make Debuts Against Sweden

l5020363.jpg

Kenny Dalglish today announced the Scotland squad to face Sweden later this week in a friendly at the Rasunda in Stockholm. Darren Fletcher, Graham Dorrans, Christophe Berra and many others have retained their places. Veteran David Weir also finds a place in the squad.

Six players could make their debuts against Sweden this saturday. They are James McArthur (Wigan Athletic), Charlie Mulgrew (Celtic), Danny Swanson (Dundee United), Iain Turner (Everton), Mark Brown (Hibernian) and Danny Wilson (Liverpool).

The 26-man squad to face Sweden:

Goalkeepers:
Mark Brown (Hibernian), Alan McGregor (Rangers), Iain Turner (Everton)

Defenders: Christophe Berra (Wolves), Steven Caldwell (Wigan Athletic), Alan Hutton (Tottenham Hotspurs), Charlie Mulgrew (Celtic), Lee Wallace (Hearts), David Weir (Rangers), Steven Whittaker (Rangers), Danny Wilson (Liverpool)

Midfielders: Charlie Adam (Blackpool), Scott Brown (Celtic), Graham Dorrans (West Bromwich Albion), Craig Conway (Dundee United), Darren Fletcher (Manchester United), Shaun Maloney (Celtic), James McArthur (Wigan Athletic), James McFadden (Birmingham City), James Morrison (West Brom), Danny Swanson (Dundee United)

Strikers: Steven Fletcher (Wolves), Kenny Miller (Rangers), Steven Naismith (Rangers), Gary O'Connor (Birmingham City), Derek Riordan (Hibernian)

David Weir was named as captain of the Scotland side, replacing erstwhile Darren Fletcher and Gary Caldwell was announced as the vice-captain of the side.
Dalglish looks to be experimenting with this side before he gets down to serious business when the European Qualifier season sets in.

------------------------------------------

O'CONNOR INJURED; GRIFFITHS CALLED UP INSTEAD

o%27connor%20hair.jpg

The Scotland camp faced their first injury worry when Birmingham City striker Gary O'Connor was declared injured after a tackle in training by David Weir. Kenny Dalglish wasted no time in sending the player back to England to make sure he recovers fully and then called up Scotland Under-21 striker Leigh Griffiths to the senior side.

Griffiths, who plays for First Division side Dundee is said to be delighted to have the chance to be with the senior side and thanked Dalglish for placing trust in him.
Scotland Physio Magnus Forsbald said "The injury doesn't seem long term and I don't see why Gary shouldn't be back for the games against Lithuania and Liechtenstein."

-------------------------------------------

Last edited:

sunday-times-logo.jpg

zlatan_ibrahimovic-1071.jpg

IBRAHIMOVIC THWARTS NEAR PERFECT SCOTTISH COMEBACK

AC Milan striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic thwarted a miraculous comeback from the Scottish team here at the Rasunda in Stockholm. The Scots came back from 2-0 down in the first half to level 2-2 before going up 3-2 late on in the game. But an injury time equaliser from Zlatan Ibrahimovic put paid to any hopes of Scottish victory, their first under Kenny Dalglish.

Victor Elm put the Swedes in front early on when he headed home a Kim Kallstrom freekick from the edge of the area in the first minute. Ola Toivonen doubled that lead when he coolly slotted home a low shot past a stranded Iain Turner in the 24th. 2-0 to Sweden at halftime.

What started in the second half was a complete contrast to the first. Kenny Miller pulled one back for the Scots in the 53rd with a shot from the edge of the area and Christophe Berra levelled the match in the 67th when he tapped a Shaun Maloney corner into the net. With the match nearing an end, Dundee United midfielder Craig Conway nodded home a Kenny Miller cross to make it 3-2 in the 87th minute.

But with time running out, the Scottish team looked set to win until Ibrahimovic and Toivonen combined brilliantly for a one-two before Ibrahimovic set up Kim Kallstrom near the goal. The first shot from Kallstrom was blocked but the rebound fell to Ibrahimovic's legs, who slammed the ball into the roof of the net, past a distraught Danny Wilson and Iain Turner.

------------------------------------

Dalglish's Comments:

On the Match:

I think we really deserved to win following our second half. Our first half was okay to say the least but the second was exhilarating and the boys deserved more. As for me myself, I'm happy with the performance and hope it goes on well. Craig Conway particularly impressed today.

On Missing Craig Gordon through injury:

Missing a player like Craig was always going to be difficult. He is an inspiration as a keeper between the sticks and it is a boost to the rest of the side when he's there.

On Ibrahimovic:

That guy is one **** of a player and frankly, I think he deserved his goal for the way he played.

----------------------------------------------------

Nice little story mate the result against sweden was a good one.

Only thing I laughed at was your OP 'He is known to have been a good manager for Scotland' XD the famous 4-6-0. Hasn;t proved himself yet but anyway nice story and I will following being a scot :p

Nice little story mate the result against sweden was a good one.

Only thing I laughed at was your OP 'He is known to have been a good manager for Scotland' XD the famous 4-6-0. Hasn;t proved himself yet but anyway nice story and I will following being a scot :p

Thanks. Now that you pointed it out, I kinda feel like laughing myself.

Thanks. Now that you pointed it out, I kinda feel like laughing myself.

Lol it is a story after all and he hasn't done a bad job just not done a good job yet lol. I laughed though so just say it's a stroke of 'planned' comedy in the story :p

DALGLISH NOT THE RIGHT MAN FOR SCOTLAND: SIR ALEX FERGUSON

Sir-Alex-Ferguson_1.jpg

Sitting in the Manchester United VIP lounge along with Sir Alex Ferguson is a rare privilege, and when it was offered, journalist Alexander Martins jumped at the opportunity and got Ferguson to speak a few words on the recent events that have been happening across the border in his native country, the Premier League season so far, and other managers. Excerpts from the interview

AM: Your Premier League campaign has got off to a great start, comfortable on top with a three point lead over your nearest challengers Everton. What have you done to instill confidence in the side from last year?

SAF: Well I don't really do anything. I mean, all I can do is to talk and motivate them. But to get motivated is up to the players. To see the stadium, to see the fans and to see what they're missing and to give them what they want-all that is up to the players themselves.

AM: How do you see the rest of the season opening up?

SAF: Maybe we could see Arsenal and Chelsea sneak up into the top four. City will provide good competition as will the Spurs. And maybe, Liverpool might well throw their hat in the ring for a Champions League place. But going by their recent performances, I wouldn't say so.

AM: Across the border now to Scotland. We've all seen Kenny Dalglish take over as national team manager. Your feelings on it?

SAF: Kenny is a good person and was a great footballer for us. But as a manager, I feel he still needs experience. Not that he hasn't got any but just that he needs more. And that too as a national manager, when all of a nation's hope is on you and your team, you need to have that cutting edge which will make your team a level above those similar to you on paper. Kenny, I don't think has got that. I don't think he's fit to be Scotland manager, frankly.

AM: So who would you choose as Scotland manager had it been your choice?

SAF: Maybe David (Moyes) or Harry (Redknapp). Also, from what I see, the Rangers boss, Walter Smith is also doing well as is Neil Lennon, the Celtic man. I think they would do a better job than Kenny.

King Kenny not the right man for the Scots? Time will tell is SAF's predictions are right or way off the mark.

------------------------------------------------

Great update glad to see you took my ideas on board deek n brown and IMO this is the best story goin

"YOU WILL TAKE YOUR WORDS BACK" DALGLISH TO SIR ALEX

kennyf.jpg

Scotland manager Kenny Dalglish has hit back strongly in the media, taking a dig at Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson who, in a recent interview, commented that Dalglish wasn't the right person for the job. Speaking to reporters outside the Celtic Park, where he had arrived to watch the match between Dundee United and Celtic, the former Liverpool striker said "Of course, Sir Alex has done a great job at Manchester but that doesn't mean you can underrate anybody else. I may be inexperienced at international management, but Ferguson himself wasn't very experienced when he managed Scotland in the 82 World Cup in Spain, or was it 86? Anyway, he is in no position to comment about my abilities."

Questioned further, he stated "with all due respect" that Sir Alex "will see a new Scotland in the future months and all I would like to say to him is this: You will take your words back." On a side note, the Scotland boss stated that the squad for the matches against Lithuania away from home and against Liechtenstein at the Ibrox Stadium will be announced later in the week, possibly in three days time.

--------------------------------------------------

---------- Post added at 12:31 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 02:27 AM ----------

No Surprises In Scotland Squad for Qualifiers

Keeper Craig Gordon remains only exclusion as Dalglish names a strong side for the qualifiers

Craig-Gordon-Scotland_1174953.jpg

Sunderland goalkeeper Craig Gordon could not pass the fitness test this morning at the Hampden Park and that has cost him his place in Scotland side for the qualifiers against Lithuania and Liechtenstein. Apart from that, all the regulars make it into the side and Scottish international football is all set to roll again. The match against Lithuania is away at the S. Darius and S. Girenas Stadium and the match against Liechtenstein is at home at the Ibrox Stadium. The match against Lithuania could see Everton goalkeeper Iain Turner or Rangers goalkeeper Alan McGregor in the number one jersey.

Squad:

GKs: Mark Brown, Alan McGregor, Iain Turner

Defenders: Christophe Berra, Steven Caldwell, Alan Hutton, Charlie Mulgrew, Lee Wallace, David Weir, Steven Whittaker, Danny Wilson

Midfielders:
Charlie Adam, Scott Brown, Craig Conway, Graham Dorrans, Shaun Maloney, James McArthur, James McFadden, James Morrison, Danny Swanson

Strikers: Steven Fletcher, Kenny Miller, Steven Naismith, Gary O'Connor, Derek Riordan

WATCH SCOTLAND TAKE ON LITHUANIA AT 19:30 HRS GMT ONLY ON EUROSPORT.

wpid-Lithuania-vs-Scotland.jpg

euro.jpg

EXCLUSIVE LIVE COVERAGE-FROM PRE-MATCH INTERVIEWS TO POST MATCH ANALYSIS OVER THE NEXT FEW DAYS.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Eurosport_News_logo.png

SCOTLAND TEAM ARRIVE IN LITHUANIA

ScotlandNew.jpg

The Scottish team today arrived at the Vilinius International Airport in Vilinius, Lithuania and Eurosport News was present to cover the event as the legendary Kenny Dalglish arrived first followed by his players. They looked rejuvenated and in good spirits as they landed about an hour later than scheduled-a delay attributed to bad weather. The Scots landed on a cold morning at about five and the storm of reporters at the airport caught many including Darren Fletcher by surprise.

Darren+Fletcher+Football+Picture.jpg

"I don't think we've got this much of attention before. Maybe it's due to Kenny? Anyways, we're in good spirits, we've been training well over the past few days at Edinburgh and we'd be looking to train well here too and get used to the weather and conditions. And then we can take on the Lithuanians with confidence."

"There has been growing enmity between Sir Alex, your club boss and Kenny, your national team boss. Your stand as a United and Scotland player on that?"

"I don't think I'm in a position to do that. I just want to do my duty to both of them and to the club and country."

"You come here without Craig Gordon. How would that affect the team?"

"Craig is a great player and missing him is a big thing but we've got Iain and Alan who can show their worth in these two matches."

So that was Darren Fletcher, the Manchester United star who spoke there. The Scotland team is headed for the Zalgiris Stadium, home to A Lyga side FK Zalgiris Vilinius who have offered their training facilities to Scotland.

We'll have all the live coverage for you on Eurosport including pre-match, matchday and post-match discussions in the coming days but for now, it's goodbye from me Michael Vesner and cameraman Howard Drow from Vilinius.

-----------------------------------------------

PRE-MATCH ODDS (3 DAYS TO GAME)

Scotland 4/1 (Fav)
Draw 8/1
Lithuania 7/1

------------------------------------

---------- Post added at 03:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 AM ----------

eurosport_logo.jpg

PREMATCH ANALYSIS

LITHUANIA VS. SCOTLAND

A few comments made by the three analysts of the Eurosport panel before the match between Lithuania and Scotland

virtual_news_set.jpg

Analyst One: Scotland are sure shot favourites for this Group I encounter at Vilinius between Lithuania and Scotland. The visitors possess some of the best players in the team like Darren Fletcher and Kenny Miller. They might not be David Villa and Fernando Torres but I think they've got enough quality to finish the game on top.

Analyst Two: Yes, that is true but one cannot discount the Lithuanians from pulling off upsets either. I wouldn't put it beyond them. We've seen people do it before but I should see no reason why they shouldn't. But from purely paper point of view, I've got to go for a Scotland win.

Analyst Three: I think Lithuania's performances depend mainly on Livorno's Danilevicius. Should he be firing on all cylinders, I think Scotland might just feel a little out of place. I'm not saying they will, but they might. And given that this is not their home ground, it might just be a little inconvenient.

Predictions

One: Scotland win 2-0 with Miller scoring at least one.

Two: Scotland win 3-1. Danilevicius should get a goal but can't prevent the Scots from taking three points

Three: Scotland win 2-1. Should be a narrow one for the away team but they should be able to get through with it.

-------------------------------------------

LINE-UPS:

Scotland

Scotland-Flag.png

Alan McGregor

Alan Hutton-----------------Christophe Berra--------------Andy Webster------------Charlie Mulgrew

Kevin Thomson

Darren Fletcher---------------Charlie Adam

Graham Dorrans

Steven Fletcher----------------Kenny Miller

Lithuania

lithuania-flag-1.png

Zydrunas Karcemarskas

Marius Stankevicius-------------Gediminas Paulaskas--------Andreas Skerla------------Tadas Kijanskas

Devidas Cesnauskis---------Mindauskas Panka-----Deividas Semberas---------Arvydas Novikovas

Andreus Velicka-------------Tomas Danilevicius

Scotland have lined up in a 4-1-2-1-2 formation whereas Lithuania have lined up in a 4-4-2. I think the Scots are trying to make use of the fact that the pitch is narrow and also that the Lithuanians are the weakest in central defence. I think that the Eastern Europeans might as well try and utilise the fact that the Scottish wings have pretty much no cover in this formation with only the wing-backs Mulgrew and Hutton to protect the wings. Both are physically equally matched and I don't expect to see a clear winner from the two sides in the tackling department and physical strength area. But skillwise, the Scots take it and I think that should win it for them today. We now cross over to Vilinius where Scotland manager Kenny Dalglish will be holding a press conference soon.

Vilnius_Beautiful-architecture_2746.jpg

A view of Vilnius, Lithuania

----------------------------------------

Press Conference Update + Match Report Tomorrow Possibly.

Brilliant update buddy! like the dispute between Dalglish and Ferguson great twist! good graphical detail in the story too! keep it up :D

Really like this story mate, I'm sure you'll be rampant against Lithuania I like the use of the round flags, and the analysts!!!! Definitely following this.

Nice updates mate, Enjoy the analysing and stuff good addition KIU.