PRE-MATCH PRESS CONFERENCE

kenny-dalglish-pic-getty-751333271.jpg

The venue is the conference room of the Congress Hotel-the hotel where the Scottish side is camped. Manager Kenny Dalglish and captain Darren Fletcher are in the room to give their first major press conference before the European Championship qualifiers against Lithuania. The press conference began with The Daily Mail beginning the proceedings.

The Daily Mail: This is your first game in the qualifiers. Your thoughts on the event?

Dalglish: We're confident and looking forward to the occasion and we'd love to hit the ground running.

The Times: You begin your campaign away from home. How would it feel missing your home fans?

Dalglish: Obviously, it will be bad but one team had to play home and the other away. So we've no complaints about it. We'll do our best and give the fans something to cheer about.

Aberdeen Independent: You've been handed a tough group with Czech Republic and Spain the two major opponents. What are your chances in this qualifying campaign?

Dalglish: Realistically speaking, on paper, we're expected to fight for second place with Czech Republic. But on the field, anything is possible. Also, who knows? Two good results against Czech Republic and one creditable upset against Spain could just put us through to the finals as group toppers.

Daily Record: A question to both you and Mr. Fletcher. How would your current problems with Sir Alex be viewed by each of you?

Fletcher: Like I said earlier, I just want to concentrate on playing football, so I'm not really worried about it. I just want to give my best on the field to both club and country.

Dalglish: Many managers make comments about me in the game. But I usually don't prefer to care about it and like going about my own business. Simply put, I don't think I have time for Sir Alex.

Dundee Messenger: Your plans for this game-will it be all attacking or counterattacking?

Dalglish: I would say, that depends on the game itself. The way we play and the way they play. So nothing definite as of now. That concludes this press conference. There really is no time and we must get going. So, maybe after the match, we can talk more.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Euro-2012.jpg

SCOTLAND EDGE OUT LITHUANIA

Riordan nets last gasp winner for visitors as Dalglish gets off to a winning start in the mission to Europe.

Derek_Riordan_1496829c.jpg

Scotland came close to suffering at the hands of Lithuania here at the S.Darius and S. Girenas Stadium in Vilnius but somehow managed a 2-1 win. The late kickoff, which started about one hour after the game in Liechtenstein ended- where Spain hammered the hosts 7-0 thanks to a hat-trick from Fernando Torres and two braces from Pedro and David Villa-almost saw an upset when Lithuanian defender Andreas Skerla gave the hosts the lead in the 16th minute, heading home a powerful corner that deceived McGregor, forcing the latter to get off his line and attempt a missed punch at the ball. Skerla had no trouble scoring from three yards out.

Lithuania continued to press on for the second goal and almost got it when Devidas Cesnauskis hit the crossbar with an edge-of-the-area shot and two minutes later, Arvydas Novikovas forced a save off McGregor from close range. The Scots, for their part, also attacked pretty well and Graham Dorrans and Charlie Adam both forced rapid saves from the Lithuanian keeper. Steven Fletcher had a great chance to level the game in the forty first when he found himself one-on-one with the goalkeeper. The resultant lob went flying above the bar. One-nil to Lithuania at halftime.

Two changes were made at halftime-both Steven Fletcher and Kenny Miller came off for Gary O'Connor and Derek Riordan. The new substitutes made instant impact as both off them saw their shots rattle the woordwork within the first three minutes of restart. It was in the 59th minute after continuous pressure that Scotland found their equaliser. Darren Fletcher played a brilliant pass to Charlie Adam, who wasted no time lobbing the ball past two defenders straight to O'Connor's feet. The Birmingham City striker then dribbled the ball past a defender before setting up Charlie Adam again in the box. The Blackpool captain made no mistake in slotting the ball past the Lithuanian keeper.

With time running out fast, it was Kevin Thomson, who stole the ball from Danilevicius and then cleared it aerially. The loose ball was pounced upon by Derek Riordan. The Hibs striker then went past the last defender and coolly finished the move with a placed shot from the penalty area. 2-1 to Scotland in the 83rd minute and the score stayed that way.

A memorable way to begin a campaign for Dalglish and his boys, who now return to Ibrox Stadium tomorrow in preparation for the game against Liechtenstein, who will be arriving at midnight to Celtic Park, their training centre.

LITHUANIA 1 (Andreas Skerla)
SCOTLAND 2 (Charlie Adam, Derek Riordan)

Dalglish On The Match:

"Great start. I was slightly disappointed with our first half but we did very well in the second. I was delighted with Derek (Riordan) and Gary (O'Connor). They impressed me. The defence looked solid and the midfield was very creative today. All credit to the team for a good performance."

Eurosport Analysts Initial Comments

One:
A shaky performance from the Scots but I think it was good enough for them to beat Lithuania, who looked less than their best in the second half

Two: An average Scotland at best. Definitely not the best performance from the Highlanders but they still deserved three points.

Three: A good game. Lithuania gave it more of a fight than we expected. I think this made Scotland see average even though, personally I feel they were very good. Adam and Riordan looked solid today as did the defence.

'

Last edited:
Oo close result, but a result none the less, good effort mate, :) KIU

Thanks everyone for the comments. Please do suggest improvements if any
--------------------------

scotsman.gif

SCOTLAND SIDE ARRIVE AT GLASGOW

glasgow.jpg

The Scottish national team, fresh from their 2-1 win over Lithuania at Vilnius, arrived at the Glasgow International Airport today, five hours after the Liechtenstein team made their entry into the city. The Scottish side were immediately whisked away by the police to their team hotel. They would be training at the Ibrox Stadium, home to SPL side Glasgow Rangers.

Incidentally, Ibrox is also the stadium where the game is to be played so Scotland is trying to make full use of their home advantage by getting used to the conditions as soon as possible. Manager Kenny Dalglish made a brief comment to the media saying that "the team is well prepared and we are confident of a good result."

443970.jpg

Meanwhile, the Liechtenstein team held their first training session at the Celtic Park today morning. Manager Hans Peter Zaugg said the team "would bounce back from the loss to Spain and do well against Scotland, even though it is an away game for us."

-----------------------------------------------------

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

daily-record.gif

"WE WILL GO TO THE EUROS IN STYLE"-CHARLIE ADAM

WV2-Charlie-Adam-scot.jpg

Blackpool central midfielder Charlie Adam is one of the central figures of the new-look Scotland side. Our journalist Kevin Healy, on a news-hunting mission in the Highlands, caught the midfielder as he was leaving the Ibrox Stadium after the Scottish team's first training session since arriving in the city and managed to get a few words out of him.

DR: A good win against Lithuania even though some say you weren't good enough for Europe. What would you say about that?

CA: I felt we were good enough. Of course, we can improve in certain areas and we're working on that. Anyway, what we needed was a win to start off our campaign and we got that.

DR: Just how big is it to have a legend like Dalglish managing Scotland?

CA: It feels great to work with him. We've been watching him score since we were children and now to work under him is a great feeling. He's brought a new approach to the side and it's suiting us as good as our football boots.

DR: Spain demolished Liechtenstein 7-0 in their opener. Do you think that such a defeat would prove to be very detrimental to Liechtenstein?

CA: I mean, it's obvious. We go out onto the park against Spain expecting to lose maybe two-nil or three-nil but to lose like that, it can be painful. Spain are a good side but Liechtenstein were absolutely rubbish in that game. I think both factors contributed to that rout.

DR: Do you think you can qualify for the Euros easily from this group?

CA: We have confidence and we're fairly realistic to see that we have the ability to do it in style. We will do it in style.

DR: You've been linked to a move to Anfield this winter. Would you be interested?

CA: Obviously, Liverpool would be a big step up in my career. So I might consider it, but nothing is concrete so far. Also, I've got Danny (Wilson) who can help me settle there.

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

eurosport_logo.jpg

PRE-MATCH COMMENTS

SCOTLAND VS. LIECHTENSTEIN

ANALYST ONE: An easy win for Scotland. No doubt about it. The Liechtenstein team are low on confidence after that 7-0 rout that they received against Spain and the Scottish team are itching to get a big win. So, a good solid win for Scotland in my opinion.

ANALYST TWO: Scotland on home soil are hard to beat. And the strength is far too overwhelming for the Liechtenstein team. So, a comfortable home win for the Scots.

ANALYST THREE: I don't have anything to say except that the Scots are going to rule. Period.

PRE-MATCH PREDICTIONS

ONE: 3-0 to Scotland
TWO: 5-0 to Scotland
THREE: 4-0 to Scotland

LINE-UPS

SCOTLAND

Scotland-Flag.png

Alan McGregor

Alan Hutton---------Andy Webster------------Christophe Berra--------------Lee Wallace

Kevin Thomson

James McArthur------------Darren Fletcher

Charlie Adam

Steven Fletcher--------Derek Riordan

400_F_13770377_U5fhl5IY8P2ilprIWsQ6UaB4YHI4FDda.jpg

LIECHTENSTEIN

Benjamin Buchel

Lucas Eberle----------Martin Stocklasa--------Daniel Kaufmann--------Michael Stocklasa

Sandro Wieser-----------Michele Polverino------------Franz Burgmeier--------------Philippe Erne

Mathias Christen--------------Mario Frick

Scotland have gone with the same formation like the one they used against Lithuania. Riordan gets his first start for Scotland instead of Kenny Miller. Ibrox is their home ground and it should be easy for them to win. Lithuania have put an unchanged side and they will be looking for a better performance than last time.

Ibrox_Stadium_9.jpg

Ibrox Stadium, viewed aerially

---------------------------------------------------------------

Nice updates mate keep it up love this story, come on Scotland!!!

WV3-Andy-Webster-scot.jpg

SCOTLAND RUN RAMPAGE AT IBROX

Scotland emerged as clear winners, here at the Ibrox Stadium in Glasgow as they beat Liechtenstein 4-0. Goals from Andy Webster, Steven Fletcher, Charlie Adam and Derek Riordan made it a memorable evening for Scottish fans as they got to see their team run out as deserved winners of the Group I encounter in the European Qualifying Campaign for the 2012 European Championships.

The game began very badly for Liechtenstein as their goalkeeper had to deal with a Darren Fletcher freekick in the first minute followed by a Charlie Adam long range effort in the third. It was in the seventh minute when the Scots got their breakthrough. James McArthur played it off Franz Burgmeier for a corner, which was taken by Blackpool captain Charlie Adam. Following a goalmouth scramble which saw Darren Fletcher hit the post on the near side, Kevin Thomson hit the post on the far side and finally a Christophe Berra volley cleared off the line, the ball fell to Andy Webster at the edge of the area. The Rangers defender took a shot, which in turn took a deflection off Daniel Kauffman before entering the goal.

Scotland continued to put pressure throughout the half. Steven Fletcher saw two of his shots cleared off the line and Kevin Thomson came close with a superb effort that thundered off the bar. In the forty first minute however, the Scottish team broke a Liechtenstein attack without breaking a sweat and Danny Wilson set up Darren Fletcher on a run down the field. The Manchester United midfielder cruised forward and made it a two on two situation with Steven Fletcher exactly across him on the other side of the pitch. Seeing both defenders close down on him, Darren crossed to Steven and the Wolves striker made no mistake in rounding past the keeper near the edge of the area and the sending Scotland 2-0 up.

After the break, Scotland resumed their attacking and four minutes into the restart, Charlie Adams found himself at the receiving end of a defence-splitting pass from Kevin Thomson. The Blackpool captain then scored his second goal in as many games in the qualifiers with a swerving shot from inside the area. The rout was finally completed by Hibernian striker Derek Riordan who slammed home a Graham Dorrans cross from close range.

A solid win for the Scots and they can now look forward to their next games-the crunch games-of their qualifying campaign against Czech Republic at the G.Arena in Prague and Spain at the Celtic Park in Glasgow.

------------------------------------

Kenny Dalglish's Reaction

We were absolutely brilliant out there today. Liechtenstein may be the weaker team but today we were the best. I felt that we made their keeper work a lot-twelve shots on target is not a joke, and that's discounting the goals- and all credit to him for not making the scoreline 7-0 or 8-0. An amazing performance. We're looking forward to the games against Czech Republic and Spain now. They're going to be very crucial for us and we have to win it.

----------------------------

Eurosport Analyst Comments

Analyst One:
An expected win. A very efficient performance from Scotland, who got their act together after Lithuania and they looked very impressive today. Their passing game resembled Spain's in almost every respect.

Analyst Two: Great performance from Scotland and they deserved every moment of their win. Keep going this way and they should at least make the play-offs.

Analyst Three: Good performance from Scotland. No major errors. The co-ordination was good in midfield and the finishing was efficient. They have been very good at their job today.

---------------------------

Good to see Webster in your team. Though your Lichenstein (sp) team photo is actually Russia. It contains the Berezuski twins and Alan Dzagoev.

Evening%20Times%20logo.JPG

CHARLIE ADAM NAMED SCOTLAND CAPTAIN

_42750821_charlie_adam.jpg

Kenny Dalglish today announced that Blackpool captain Charlie Adam was chosen as the new Scotland captain after a unanimous decision from the Scottish FA Selection Committee. Adam replaces Rangers defender David Weir, who was earlier named captain as a temporary measure. Meanwhile, Manchester United midfielder Darren Fletcher was named as the vice-captain of the Scotland side.

Charlie Adam is said to be "humbled" by the decision and said that he would do his utmost to prove that his manager and the Scottish FA was not wrong. Darren Fletcher, meanwhile welcomed the appointment and said that a change in approach was what Scotland needed and he felt "fairly confident" that he and Adam could provide it.

Adam's first game at the helm of the Scottish side will be against Czech Republic in the European Championship Qualifiers Group I tie at the G.Arena in Prague.

Good choice I think he makes a great captain, got amazing ability and will hopefully inspire the team to reach new heights!!!

Disagree. Webster, Fletcher or even Scott Brown IMO would make a better captain. Though this is good, keep it up.

Disagree. Webster, Fletcher or even Scott Brown IMO would make a better captain. Though this is good, keep it up.

He's got more influence on my game than all of those players, (using LFC Marshall's update) but they are decent captains too :)

Good to see Webster in your team. Though your Lichenstein (sp) team photo is actually Russia. It contains the Berezuski twins and Alan Dzagoev.

Good because hes not injured eh XD.

Good updates mate nice wins kiu.

Good because hes not injured eh XD.

Good updates mate nice wins kiu.

Ha, for how long we'll soon see. :mad:

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

He's got more influence on my game than all of those players, (using LFC Marshall's update) but they are decent captains too :)

Andy Webster has an influence of 18 on the default and update.

Ha, for how long we'll soon see. :mad:

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

Andy Webster has an influence of 18 on the default and update.

Ah okay Charlie Adam has 19, on mine but maybe thats because I'm a year in the future, and he's developed!

Good choice webster is not gud i enough to be a Scotland captain good player but makes too many mistakes and has too many injuries for me its fletcher adam or brown so i have to say

Good Choice XD

Good choice webster is not gud i enough to be a Scotland captain good player but makes too many mistakes and has too many injuries for me its fletcher adam or brown so i have to say

Good Choice XD

Sounds like sour grapes to me. Webster is a great CB, injuries held him back. He can do better than the SPL. He is a leader and commands the back line and a team, having watched him recently against Dundee United at Tynecastle. Would easily be a good enough captain for Scotland, especially in FM.

He gets injured every week hes like the most injured spl player i can remember