The Leeds United Thread

1601966049727.png

This is us for now. Might go after Cantwell or Buendia(would be my pick) while the domestic transfers are still open.

Overall very very happy with the transfers we made. Did not go overboard in overpaying(Judge is out for Llorente) someone and stupid mistakes. Several trasnfers where already here in the club and made permanent. Meslier the big one, future French first GK mark my words.
Our core team is there and still rocking hard, got much needed depth who can improve in coming months.
Only thing I am still second quessing is Rodrigo. Dont get me wrong love hard working man like him with that dashing smile, but feel that the price was tad too much, but if Bammy and he get into sync, they will be real trouble for opponents and worth every penny we paid for him. Kohc also already getting better by the day and first game mistakse are already forgoten.

Got some very nice youngsters in that I would not make big deal out of it right now as they need to show what they got. Greenwood already scoring some fun goals. Hope Boguaz gets some good game time that he needs. He has potential but just current ability is few steps down what we need. Would have kept him in the squad if Roberts was sold, who I think will be dropped more often now for Rodrigo and Raphinha. And uhh Raphinha, our deadline singing. Could be bargain deal if he keeps up the performance he did in Rennais.

We missed out on De Paul, but the price was just too much and I think it is good from club, not to make these risky moves. Definetly is class player and will see maybe later in future we could lure him here.

All in all, very well palanced squad(I still want new LB, but I shall trust Bielsa :D ) . Players who seem to work hard and want to play here. No flashy names, everyone has something to prove.

Edit:
How could i have missed Michael Cuisance. Probably so much reading about transfer deadline in the morning that i forgot him :D
Lad with immense potential but some say alleged attitute problems. Club was up for the risk with him, but something went wrong. I really hate people telling that Leeds chickened out and tried to fool Bayern. Why would we do it..? He failed the medicals that we have HIGH standars for. It was loan + permannent move, ofcourse the medical will be harsher and he must be upt to Bielsa standards. Something must have come up in the check up that was worring. Saying that how he got trough Marsseils medical then... They are not getting him permanently after loan + might be more desperate for player + medical standards might not be the same.
It was what it was, did not happen. If he becomes greate player then good for him, but I trust the club for this decision 100%.

Last edited:
**** i love having good DOF who understands clubs and managers vision for now and future. And will work his socks of, the passion Orta shows during games is crazy, has been called already one man crowd at our empty stadium.

And so, for Victor Orta, a holiday in the Lake District or a weekend in Whitby. That was what he promised himself when October arrived, provided Leeds United’s transfer window went well. Some peace and quiet in a low-key setting, far away from the centre of the universe.

Recruitment is best judged with hindsight and Orta knows that better than anyone. One minute Mateusz Klich is a dud. The next he is a game away from a 100th league appearance for Leeds, a snip at £1.5 million. Then you have Jean-Kevin Augustin, the right type of striker in so many respects but liable to cost the club heavily for the 49 minutes of football he gave them on loan last season. “I play Football Manager,” Orta once said, “but the reality is very different.”

This window felt as close to Football Manager as Leeds have ever been, or at least since the days when Peter Ridsdale gave the impression that a chairman who ran out of money could reboot the computer and start a new game. Through the doors came two Spain internationals, one of them that country’s incumbent No 9. A German with three caps was tempted in too and although Leeds backed out of the signing of Michael Cuisance from European champions Bayern Munich, they finished the summer with a £17m splash on Rennes’ Brazilian winger Raphinha. A good window? It feels like one, if good is a word that does their business justice.

It required money, of course, and nobody would pretend that Leeds have tried to shop economically. Between four new signings and the deals done to make Helder Costa and Illan Meslier permanent squad members, the weeks from July to October have accounted for the thick end of £100 million. Their old transfer record, untouched for 20 years, has been equalled or beaten three times. The first tranche of Premier League cash is spent and gone but the expenditure is not indicative of an uncontrolled spree.

Marcelo Bielsa asked Leeds to keep the numbers down and they did: big fees on a small pool of players, ensuring that the dressing room neither changed beyond recognition nor stood still. Bielsa is averse to excessive strength in depth but at the start of his third season in charge, his squad has a more natural balance to it.

He has four centre-backs, three of them proven, and no need to experiment in that position when selection issues arise. He has Rodrigo in his camp and that, in part, is helping to make a monster of Patrick Bamford’s form. Raphinha provided the extra wide player Bielsa was looking for and came into focus over the weekend with no sign of Manchester United making Dan James available. Orta’s scouting network in Europe has earned its keep.

The frustration over the failure to sign Cuisance is that the 21-year-old’s presence and versatility would have taken some pressure off Klich, answering the question of what Bielsa might do if and when the Pole cannot play. That is the area where Leeds look short and there was something of a succession plan in play with the bid for Cuisance. By the time he turns 25, Klich will be 34. But in a summer when so much money has been spent, there was no sense in risking £20 million on a player whose medical threw up problems.

There were changes in tack at Elland Road as the window went on. Bielsa had no intention at first of bringing in a spare central defender but revised his thinking after a flat performance by a weakened team against Hull City in the Carabao Cup. Leeds worked on Dinamo Zagreb’s Josko Gvardiol, an 18-year-old prospect with a huge reputation, but went calling for the more experienced Diego Llorente after Gvardiol chose to join RB Leipzig. An extra midfielder came onto the agenda with Adam Forshaw still to return from injury but Cuisance’s medical killed a transfer which was virtually done. For all the attention on Rodrigo De Paul, at no stage did Bielsa ask Leeds to push the boat out and get a deal with Udinese done. Cuisance was the midfield target they attacked with intent as the window entered its final week.

Orta likes to keep long lists for each position, alternatives Leeds can move for quickly, and it was in that way Robin Koch materialised a week after Brighton & Hove Albion rejected a third offer for Ben White. The club were also happy to hedge their bets with wingers: making a low offer for Rangers’ Ryan Kent, waiting to see if Manchester United opened the door to James but mobilising in time to sign Raphinha. Orta has been in and out of the continent — spotted in airport lounges in the early hours of the morning — but to an extent, the tension eased once Rodrigo and Koch arrived before the start of the season. Those were the priority positions. Those were the areas where Leeds had to do business, and where Bielsa wanted decisive progress to be made. After that, they sat tight for three weeks.

Their strategy created a blend in the nature of the players they were buying. Rodrigo and Llorente are at or close to their peaks, far beyond the days where people spoke about their potential. Costa falls a little closer to the middle of the spectrum, visibly improving, and in Meslier, Koch and Raphinha, Leeds have three footballers who could conceivably be first choice seven or eight years down the line. All of the new signings are tied to long contracts, available to Bielsa and whoever follows him as the club’s next head coach.

Leeds will know soon enough if this window has worked. As Orta often says, the impact of transfers is not as simple as the money you pay or the analytical data you amass. There is a personal factor too: who settles well, who adapts to life with Bielsa as their head coach, which of the foreign imports feel happy in England (in a way Samuel Saiz, for example, did not) and who ultimately comes good.

But the investment has been full-blooded this summer. Leeds invaded the market in the way clubs do when survival in the Premier League is the least of their ambitions. Orta, with the ups and downs of recruitment in his head, tries not to count chickens. But he can disappear to the countryside with confidence that this egg will hatch.

So two of our CBs have been sent back because injury that was gotten during international duty
Thank you very much....

Last edited:
I normally swerve England like the plague but I watched the first-half last night curious on the Leeds lad who’s been raved about on here. (Side note- Southgate is England’s Solksjaer/ Lampard etc. They are going absolutely nowhere with someone as clueless as that. Completely stealing a living off a World Cup where they played no big Nation.). .
This must be huge respect towards the lad if you usually dont watch national footy :D is there specific reason also?

So how did Leeds fella seemed? I think it hard to evaluate in national duty where he just joined + where this kind of head coach is also present. But last games he was playing well but I missed this one.

Club matches definetly bring out his strong side more.

This must be huge respect towards the lad if you usually dont watch national footy :D is there specific reason also?

So how did Leeds fella seemed? I think it hard to evaluate in national duty where he just joined + where this kind of head coach is also present. But last games he was playing well but I missed this one.

Club matches definetly bring out his strong side more.

They were all utter *****. But that stems from a coach who doesn't have a F clue what he's doing and patently doesn't trust his defence/ goalkeeper in any way, shape or form to have him playing 5 at the back (mostly RB's which is beyond hilarious) for added protection with defensive midfielders all over.

I was utterly bored and at a loss for something to do last night to start watching in the first place. I lasted a half.

What is this madness. If we will win today, Top3 in PL will be Everton, Aston Villa and Leeds United. What is this alternate future we are seeing?...

Really think we might have one of the hardest games coming up. Wolves have been a bit bad form but they are ready to bounce back and this could be really it. Also we lost again our captain, hope he manages to get fit for today, but no need to risk more injuries.

What is this madness. If we will win today, Top3 in PL will be Everton, Aston Villa and Leeds United. What is this alternate future we are seeing?...

Really think we might have one of the hardest games coming up. Wolves have been a bit bad form but they are ready to bounce back and this could be really it. Also we lost again our captain, hope he manages to get fit for today, but no need to risk more injuries.

Top on Friday! Think positive!

Villa are even more deceivingly ***** than Everton. Heavily fancy Leeds in that on.

Top on Friday! Think positive!

Villa are even more deceivingly ***** than Everton. Heavily fancy Leeds in that on.
Emiliano Martínez is d amn(even this world is not allowed..) class player. It is travesty that team like Villa got their hands on him. Everton should have been all over him to replace T-rex. They would instantly be more dangerous side him in the net. Martinez positsioning and command of the line is top class and makes Mings and Konsa seem like WC defenders.

Villa will definetly try to do the same thing they did against you. Drop deep and try to push for counters over the top with long balls. They know just like you we want to play football and will push hard. Think we will counter it well and will dominate, but hardest thing will be getting past Martinez. Our magical Pablo should be back fit, so the is another dimension coming off the bench now.

Edit: PS. I am growing more likeing Grealish skill set, not from his diving attitute, but he sometimes shows good skill that often is missing from PL footy. A bit too selfish tough.

But one game at a time and wolves will be tricky match. Traore speed will be hard to stop by our defenders. But like always, we are up for the challenge ;)

Personally think Grealish is the new Wilshire and one of the most overhyped, overrated average to good player of his generation. Shrugs.

How we managed to make both him and worse Barkley look WC just sums up the absurdity of that whole game.

Personally think Grealish is the new Wilshire and one of the most overhyped, overrated average to good player of his generation. Shrugs.

How we managed to make both him and worse Barkley look WC just sums up the absurdity of that whole game.
There is talent there, times more than in Barkley. It has been his attitude and diving that has been bothering me the most. Lets see how he performce during the season as all the lights on him for some reason currently.

LEEDS UNITED
Form Table (Last 4)
8th​
Match Form (Recent on Right)
LWWD​
Top Scorer (Penalties)
Bamford - 3 (0)
Top Assister
Bamford, Phillips, Klich, Costa & Harrison - 1​
Injuries & Suspensions
Forshaw & Llorente​

WOLVERHAMPTON
Form Table (Last 4)
13th​
Match Form (Recent on Right)
WLLW​
Top Scorer (Penalties)
Jiménez - 2 (0)
Top Assister
Podence - 2​
Injuries & Suspensions
Jonny​

Perfect to have Cooper fit and running. Pablo also on the bench. Squad seems full fit and ready to get this game going.
1603130963782.png

Captain still out. Cooper felt something during warm up. No need risk bigger injury.

Get young lad step up now

Lost the plot second half and Wolves grinded out the result, **** i dislike 5 at the back...
Unlucky own goal, but Phillips was bad today also and again Costa disappeared in second half, dont understand him, brilliant first half and then boof gone.
But we outplayed them most of the time. At least that is a good thing to take out of this. Harrisson and Costa should have been taken ojt earlier i think.

**** our irish fella just pushed oiled up muscle man Traore around, he just bounced off from Dallas.

On serious note. Son last season got red for this. Martial got red for this. But if Koch dont act it up Raul just walks away and gets the ball. So if you dont dive like crying t*urd you dont get even var calls on you. PS! VAR checked that situation...

Leeds United midfielder Kalvin Phillips suffered a shoulder injury in last night's Premier League defeat to Wolves at Elland Road.
Whilst we are pleased to confirm that surgery is not required, the Leeds born England International could still face up to six weeks on the sidelines.
Kalvin began his rehab at Thorp Arch this morning and will be working hard with the medical team to return to action as soon as possible.

Oeh and things go worse even the next day...

Told yer Villa were utter ***** mate and massively flattering to deceive.

So help me, I am LOVING watching Bielsa’s Leeds. Such a fun side.

MUST watch viewing every game.

Told yer Villa were utter ***** mate and massively flattering to deceive.

So help me, I am LOVING watching Bielsa’s Leeds. Such a fun side.

MUST watch viewing every game.
This was pure class. Never took foot of the gas and just pushed those goals in. Deserved so much after that **** Mings thought pulling him up from shirt was a good idea.
Bielsa alreaedy casuali making sub at 20th minute. Made our game much better. Lads deserved everything and should have scored even more.Wolves where **** lucky to escape with that lucky goal.

1603487105455.png

Just to say thanks to all Leeds fan taking it up from Newcastle and not paying that 15£.

Tell yer what mate, Leeds have F all to fear with either of those two.

Your two biggest rivals and you’ll let them all over. They’ll be goosed bu HT trying to keep up with Bielsa’s lads.
Not even afraid of anyone to be honest. Belive our guys have desire and stamina to beat anyone. It is amazing to see no fear in players eyes at noone.

But as var is so stupidly not consistent so never know. And some clubs win more by penalty kick than others.