The Liverpool Thread

Salah has been absolutely gash tonight

Yer messing surely?

Yeah, his finishing could have been better but his overall play was superb. He caused them constant problems all night and his tight control, creating space then beating his man, whilst getting kicked and pulled all over, was brilliant. Any other night he scores a handful.

Like the team as a whole, the best overall game Mo's had in a good while now.

Agree with Scouse, thought Salah was almost almost unplayable last night. Liverpool unlucky; the clear better team on the night but Atleti always had that Morata trump card. Had he been fit enough to play the 90, I'm convinced Atleti would've executed their plan a LOT better - they had no outball; the game was perfectly set up for Liverpool to sustain waves of attack because 2020 version of Costa is an exotic Troy Deeney & Felix really lacks power to hold off/burst away. He played Russian roulette holding off Morata until ET, but the gamble paid off.

Also needs to be some sort of study conducted with keepers shot-to-save rations in high atmosphere stadiums, I'm convinced there's a correlation.

Imagine if they done a Serie A and potentially call the Premier League season off. ?

But it's not going to happen anyway.

.....2020 version of Costa is an exotic Troy Deeney .....

The horrible lil rats completely gone hasn’t he? And how he wasn’t booked early for the blatant throw away of the ball, which would have stopped his antics, God only knows?

And to top it off, he thought it ‘funny’ to walk through the mixed zone after coughing at journalists.

Which just encompasses what a nasty, horrible btard he is.

To all the divvy journalists trying to make-out that was a Simeone ‘defensive masterclass’, please stop. A ‘defensive masterclass’ would be where you shut down the opposition from shots and chances on your goal. NOT one where you allowed 34 of them/ 11 on target.

The only ‘masterclass’ was a goalkeeping one from Oblak who was outstanding.Last nights game was a combination of that and rotten luck that saved Atleti from a doing. Compounded by a couple of goalie mistakes the other end. That’s football. It happens. But let’s not paint it otherwise ay?

To all the journalists currently crucifying Adrian, please stop. The lad made a couple of bad mistakes but again, that’s football. We win as a team. We lose as a team. Last nights gone and he doesn’t need to be made to feel any worse than he already still will be.

To all the L’pool ‘fans’ (term used VERY loosley, and more so any low life shithouses throwing your vile abuse at Adrian via social media, please both stop and F off to another club. He’s our goalie for the foreseeable and we need him the Derby and probably Palace at least. Again, he knows the unfortunate mistakes last night but that’s football and has happened to far better goalies than him. It’s gone. We don’t need to dwell on it and remind him. Here’s to him being sound at Goodison Monday.

Last edited:

Thought it made sense to have it here. While I love attacking football, and have seen and admired great attacking sides, I've always considered it folly to assume that is the only way to play. Recent events would have you indicate that defensive football is a thing of the past, yet, you would assume that the same thing was repeated all those times when attacking football was at the fore historically.

I've always supported that there is a beauty in defensive football (from Mou's Chelsea side onwards) and noone is a better practitioner of that than Simeone. I've appreciated it because it is a testament to the fact that there is more than one way to play football, more than one interpretation of the game, and mainly, that's where the beauty of the game lies.

Whatever point he was trying to make, he took Klopp totally out of context to poorly make it.

But Simeone didn't even do a good defensive job last night. The story of the game was a superb night from Oblak, little luck, and unfortunate mistakes from the goalie the other end.

Not a good defensive job? Mate, your team was making a lot of noise but in reality they've had 3 clear chances for 120 minutes. You took two and one was a crossbar. Oblak did have a great game, but you made it easy for him with constant hail mary shots from outside the box.

And wy do you keep blaming just Adrian and not Oxlade-Chamberlain (I think) who doesn't close down Lorrente for the second goal.

Not a good defensive job? Mate, you had 3 clear chances for 120 minutes, you took two and one was a crossbar. Oblak did have a great game, but you made it easy for him with constant hail mary shots from outside the box.

And wy do you keep blaming just Adrian and not Oxlade-Chamberlain (I think) who doesn't close down Lorrente for the second goal.

I aren't 'blaming' anyone. L'pool played the perfect game of football for 97 minutes. A mistake happened. That's football.

34 shots on goal, with 11 on target, isn't a' great defensive job.' Let's not paint a completely different picture here of how the game went.

On any other night where luck goes in L'poo's favour and Oblak doesn't have a Worldie, then Atletico get walloped.

The first game they did a 'great defensive job. ' Although that could have gone either way, they took the lucky bounce of the early goal and defended magnificently limiting us to very few chances.

Last night, not so much.

Exactly how many out of those 34 shots were attempted from a genuine goalscoring position? Barely any. You can't explain it all with Oblak having a good game when Atletico had you reduced to mostly shooting outside of the box and/or from weird angles that are never going in.

Blaming or not blaming, whatever, you go on and on about Adrian when the 2nd and 3rd goal are entirely on comical defending.

Tyton mate, if you want to paint a completely different picture to what actually transpired last night in some vain attempt to paint Simeone doing a defensive masterclass or however you want to term itr, be my guest. I aren't going to debate that when it was there for all to see how the game went.

L'pool were magnificent. Atletico got the luck L'pool didn't. That's football. It happens. They worked their socks off over the two games. Fair play to them and good luck to them the next round.

Thought it made sense to have it here. While I love attacking football, and have seen and admired great attacking sides, I've always considered it folly to assume that is the only way to play. Recent events would have you indicate that defensive football is a thing of the past, yet, you would assume that the same thing was repeated all those times when attacking football was at the fore historically.

I've always supported that there is a beauty in defensive football (from Mou's Chelsea side onwards) and noone is a better practitioner of that than Simeone. I've appreciated it because it is a testament to the fact that there is more than one way to play football, more than one interpretation of the game, and mainly, that's where the beauty of the game lies.
I think its when you consider the squad he has and their failings in the league. This kind of football doesn't sit well. I mean Saul, Partay and Koke as a midfield is more than capable of playing better football than what Cholo has then playing week in week out. If youre an attacking player with flair I would avoid Atletico like the plague. That João Felix kid looked outstanding and the next best thing and he has come into a side that doesnt suit him. Similar to Lamar who looked like a future world beater and is devoid of confidence now. I maintain that its easy to get yourself up for a game against the European champions and dig into the trenches and ride your luck but it doesnt naturally translate into a 38 game season hence why they are struggling. If this was a side that was an underdog I would understand playing that way but its a side full of world-class players, the highest paid manager and a club that regularly spends big money on signing over the years.

I know we are 25 points clear but it wouldn't sit right with me if they awarded us the title and called of the league. Even winning it in a closed stadium without the fans would be terrible as we've waited so long.

No idea why they are delaying. You know they are going to suspend the games eventually so they oughta do it sooner rather than later.

I know we are 25 points clear but it wouldn't sit right with me if they awarded us the title and called of the league. Even winning it in a closed stadium without the fans would be terrible as we've waited so long.

I'm resigned to the very worst case and the season being cancelled and voided. Anything else is a bonus.

Which would be totally gutting as the greatest domestic league season anyone has ever had was in play, aside from the obvious, but what can you do? If they temp. postponed it, there are no guarantee things will improve anytime soon to play summer games. ****, there's no guarantee the league next season will start on time given the rapid development of this the World over.

Not sure how that would work legally as a LOT of clubs futures would be up in the air. But as regards ourselves, I personally don't think it would be right to kick-up a fuss if we do end up with no title. When peoples lives are at serious risk, football is COMPLETELY irrelevant in the great scheme of things as we know more than most anyone.

All we can hope is that today's meeting, which I would imagine will be LONG with all the differing views and things to consider, will ultimately conclude with the best possible decision taken on the best possible medical/ scientific expert advice.

Ahh well. We're still Champions of the World!

Our manager. From the heart and not some standard PR bollocks.

More honest, compassionate and dignified than most World leaders could communicate on the current Worldwide crisis-

Last edited:
Liverpool set to be given Premier League title amid coronavirus chaos
Options for next season include a 22-team Premier League, possibly played to dovetail with the winter World Cup

ByBen Rumsby ; Jason Burt ; Sam Wallace and Matt Law13 March 2020 • 10:18pm

Liverpool are still likely to be crowned Premier League champions, even if the coronavirus crisis causes the season to be abandoned amid mounting fears it would be impossible to complete it this summer.

As revealed by Telegraph Sport last month, there is no regulation governing what happens if the 2019-20 campaign is curtailed. But a senior club executive revealed on Friday night that there was little opposition to awarding Jurgen Klopp’s men their first English title for 30 years following what threatened to be the longest suspension of the professional game since the Second World War.

Leaders Liverpool are 25 points clear of second-placed Manchester City and two more victories for the Anfield club will give them the title. Such is the gap that there is no appetite among their rivals to deny them the crown.

The coronavirus hiatus is in danger of plunging football in England into anarchy, with governing bodies and clubs desperately trying to devise ways to avoid the unprecedented meltdown that could ensue if Government projections over the spread of the deadly disease prove correct.

On a day when more sport fell by the wayside, including the London Marathon, the Masters, Wales’s Six Nations match with Scotland, England’s cricket tour of Sri Lanka, the start of the Formula One season, and the Giro d’Italia, one senior figure at a Premier League team told Telegraph Sport: “There is so much more at stake. There is a focus on whether Liverpool will be champions, but that will be an irrelevance in the scheme of things. There is an intent we will recommence, but will that be possible?”

The Premier League had devised a plan in which the season would finish on schedule provided it resumed on April 3. That was the date to which it, the English Football League and Football Association agreed to suspend the men’s and women’s professional game following crisis talks on Friday. But with the virus forcing seven Premier League clubs yesterday to put players into isolation and the disease not forecast to peak until May or June, an April resumption appeared optimistic in the extreme.

FA chairman Greg Clarke told Premier League clubs it was not “feasible” to expect their remaining matches to be played, while another senior figure told Telegraph Sport: “You tell me whether you think there’s the remotest possibility that anything in the science is going to tell us that it’s going to be safer to play on April 3 than now.”

This summer’s European Championship is expected to be postponed at an emergency meeting of European football stakeholders on Tuesday in order to allow the club season to continue into June and July – and potentially even beyond.

The same senior figure raised the prospect of the calendar being redrawn to dovetail with the next World Cup in Qatar, the switch of which to the winter of 2022 had already been accommodated by the game.

“One scenario could be that you just work backwards from it and you say, ‘Why don’t we have a calendar season in 2022 and a calendar season in 2021 and we play the rest of this season in October?’” he said.

But many players will be out of contract on June 30 and will also have lost match fitness, raising major questions about the integrity of competitions.

Calling a halt to the season would be no less chaotic. That has resulted in discussions taking place inside some Premier League teams over proposals that could be put forward if the season could not be played to a conclusion. One would be to void the season, but there is an acceptance that would cause many of its own problems with Liverpool so close to winning the title.

There would also be the issues of relegation and promotion from the Championship, together with Champions League qualification, which carry huge financial implications for the clubs involved.

One proposal that could be made would be for the top two in the Championship, currently Leeds and West Brom, to be promoted and for 22 teams to compete in next season’s Premier League. The EFL Cup would be postponed for one year to allow extra space in the fixture list and five clubs, instead of three, would be relegated at the end of the season.

One suggestion regarding Champions League qualification would be to allow the teams who qualified for this season’s tournament to keep their places next season and then enter any additional sides currently in qualification positions into an expanded qualifying phase.

That would mean third-placed Leicester going into a qualifying round for the Champions League, with Liverpool, Manchester City – subject to the Court of Arbitration for Sport hearing – Chelsea and Tottenham holding on to their places in the tournament. But Manchester United, Wolves and Sheffield United, who are all above seventh-placed Spurs, would no doubt object to this.

Christian Purslow, the Aston Villa chief executive, attended Friday's emergency meeting of the Premier League. Asked if he thought the current season will be completed, he replied: “We have no idea. Let’s hope so.”

Failure to do so would in turn jeopardise billions of pounds in television money, with Premier League chief executive Richard Masters having already stressed to clubs in an email on Thursday night that “contractual commitments” needed to be taken into consideration.

As revealed by Telegraph Sport, it would also risk sending EFL clubs – who depend on match-day revenue – out of business. That might be one reason why the non-League game did not follow the lead of its professional counterpart yesterday by calling off matches.