The Lord's My Shepherd - A West Bromwich Albion Story

I'm following mate, I'm a wolves fan though, go home and away too! Was at the Hawthorns for the 2-0 loss and at Molineux for when you done us 5-1!

Reading this makes me want to start a Wolves story!

You won't be able to count on me to follow it ;) haha only joking mate. Yeah I'm a season ticket holder in the Smethwick at the Albion, didn't make the 'Massacre at Molineux' though :(

west-brom-logo.jpg

Manchester United Fail In George Thorne Bid

West Bromwich Albion have announced they have rejected a 'laughable' big for 18-year old George Thorne. The England U21s midfielder has been looked at by Manchester United for a while and Jeremy Peace has sent a letter to Manchester United telling them to 'look elsewhere, as George Thorne is going nowhere'. The midfielder is said to have a lot of potential and West Brom are very keen on keeping him.

Southampton and MK Dons have made loan bids for Thorne and he is expected to move south to gain some first team experience over the season.

george-thorne.jpg

​Thorne has made 2 league appearances for West Brom and is looking for first team experience

torres is actually sick, theres another mexican, guarch or somthing like that plays for estudiantes, highley rated

We shall not,
We shall not be moved.
We shall not,
We shall not be moved.
We are the boys from the Black Country
We shall not be moved.

west-brom-logo.jpg

August 2011 Review

august2011.png

Cyrille Regis has made a good start in management for West Bromwich Albion. Coming from behind against Sunderland to win 3-1, progressing in the Carling Cup and were unfortunate to lose at Loftus Park, mainly due to a Steven Reid red-card. Albion finished the month with a 3-0 thrashing of 10-man Stoke City, to end 26 years without a win against the Potters. West Brom will face Notts County at home in the next round of the Carling Cup. Lee Hughes will be expected to play against the club he cherishes.

Game of the Month

wba3-0stoke.png

Stoke City went down to 10 men after only 7 minutes when Andy Wilkinson was given his marching orders. Erick Torres got his first league goal in front of his own fans, and was unlucky to get another. Danny Collins gifted Albion a second and Loic Nestor pounced on a loose ball after Chris Brunt's corner.

The two youngsters that were signed by Cyrille Regis will be in the fans hearts for a long time as they helped West Brom to end a 26 year wait for a win against their Staffordshire rivals, Stoke City.

Barclays Premier League Table

tableaugust2011.png

It is still early days in the Premier League, yet QPR and West Brom have enjoyed good starts along with Manchester Untied and Aston Villa. Arsenal still haven't won a game, having also lost 6-0 to Fulham during the month. Sunderland are still looking for their first point.

Player of the Month

Chris Brunt

Chris_2666161.jpg

Brunt has made a good start this season, netting a goal against Sunderland and performing well against QPR and Stoke.

west-brom-logo.jpg

Summer 2011 Transfer Review

Before the window shut it seemed as though two players would be leaving the Hawthorns. George Thorne was subject to an improved bid from Manchester United and Marc-Antoine Fortune looked set to join Bristol City. Thorne did, however, join Southampton on a season-long loan deal, where West Brom can recall him at any point.

We understand that West Brom rejected a bid of around £2m for George Thorne; chief scout, Dan Ashworth, called the bids from Manchester United 'derogatory' for such talent. Marc-Antoine Fortune was ready to leave Albion for Bristol City until the paperwork didn't reach the 11pm deadline and the deal was put off until January. He was reported to be leaving for £1.2m.

Elsewhere in the Barclays Premier League; Manchester City signed Ganso for £22m, Clint Dempsey joined Liverpool for £4.3m and Manchester United signed Arouca for £12m from Santos.

​Fortune looks set to rot in Albion's reserves until the transfer window reopens.

Last edited:
By the way, here's what happened after Torres scored against Stoke.

torreslol.png

Never seen that happen so quick before lol.

COYB. Am I the only one who's not supirzed we beat real. I mean they have the Brazilian kaka but we have the African kaka who is bigger badder and much better. Dawson is a fantastic player. I'd loveto play as the baggies but I think the squad is severely under rated and the way our youth is rated is just a disgrace. I've tried about 5 times to play as us and shane long couldn't hit a barn door with a cows ****. (I'm aware that's not the saying)

Totally agree mate, the reserves and youth team are very poor but George Thorne has been given a major boost to his potential in the new patch for the game, my assistant is rating him as a leading Premiership midfielder.

By the way, I was surprised I beat Real Madrid haha :) Maybe one day I'll do the same against them in a European final :)

We will follow the Albion,
Over the land and sea,
And water.
We will follow the Albion,
On to victory.

west-brom-logo.jpg

September 2011 Review

sep2011.png

A very inconsistent start from the Baggies. Arsenal got their first win of the campaign against a lack-lustre West Brom, but Arsenal had to get a win at some point. However, Albion instantly made up for it with a 3-0 thrashing of Manchester City, who are expected to challenge for the title this season. Following this was a good win over Notts County with a reserve team to progress in the League cup to play Huddersfield in the next round. The month ended with a very poor result at Bolton. Jonas Olsson was sent off at 0-0 and West Brom struggled for the rest of the game and Bolton taught them the importance of the extra man.

Albion have won all their home games, yet lost all their away games so far. They will be looking to make up for a poor result at Bolton against Fulham at the start of next month.

Game of the Month

wba3-0mancity.png

West Bromwich Albion fans will never forget such a massive win against one of the worlds richest clubs. Man City were missing Joe Hart through injury, but other than that the likes of David Silva, Vincent Kompany and Carlos Tevez all took part. Peter Odemwingie took 22 seconds to get on the scoresheet as Albion took the ball off Man City in their own half to score. Shane Long doubled the lead after 10 minutes. Man City failed to make an impact and were punished when West Brom finished the game after only 39 minutes when Shane Long scored again.

PA-12361043.jpg

Shane Long gets his first goal with a header from Jerome Thomas' cross.

Manchester City only had 1 shot on target all game, to West Brom's 11, despite seeing more of the ball. The win took Albion to 2nd in the Barclays Premier League after the game and the fans were very pleased to see the squad playing so well in front of their own fans.

premtablesep11.png

Albion are sitting 7th in the table with 3 wins and 3 losses, with Villa and Wolves above them making it a good start for the Midlands clubs. I think everyone will be surprised to see Arsenal bottom of the table, has Arsene Wenger's time come? And how the **** did Albion lose 3-0 to them?

Player of the Month

Yousuff Mulumbu

Youssuf+Mulumbu+West+Bromwich+Albion+v+Manchester+vz9iCzD91Pcl.jpg

Mulumbu played well in defeats against Arsenal and Bolton and was brilliant in his sides win over Man City.

hi-256-0-4bfbf71a19a3b61c5aae9b37a7e3ccd8505a2aed.png

Regis: "Jonas has let us down"

New West Bromwich Albion manager, Cyrille Regis, has slammed Jonas Olsson's bad tackle that happened at 0-0 against Bolton on Saturday. Bolton went on to win the game 4-0 after the Baggies went down to 10 men. Olsson was shown a straight red by Kevin Friend for a late, two-footed challenge on Martin Petrov who had to go off the pitch injured. Luckily, Petrov only suffered bruising on his shin, but Olsson has picked up a three game ban and the Baggies will have to cope without their captain who has been solid in the Albion defence since arriving in 2008 from NEC.

"We looked as though we could have took the lead against Bolton, then Jonas did that. He has let us down, the fans, the players and myself are all very disappointed with the tackle and fair play to Martin Petrov for speaking with Jonas telling him there are no worries. We are all looking forward to Jonas returning, he is as down as anyone right now so we should all support him when he is back. "

Regis then went on to talk about the FA. "The FA need to make sure referees are spotting these tackles more and punishing them consistently. I have seen atleast two or three tackles already this season that put my heart in my mouth, such as Mario Balotelli's at Arsenal the other day. He isn't going to be punished. So why has Jonas?"

olscrop_2732167.jpg

Jonas Olsson walks after being shown a straight red card at Bolton

Also in the news... Arsene Wenger steps down as Arsenal manager with his side bottom of the table.

Last edited:
Fight, fight,
Where we may be.
We are the boys from the Black Country.
We'll fight you all,
Wherever you may be.
And we'll fight you all in the Black Country.

west-brom-logo.jpg

October 2011 Review

oct2011.png

West Brom's amazing home form, and terrible away form, continue into October with a 5-0 win over struggling Fulham and a 3-0 win against league-leaders, Newcastle United. However, 4-1 defeats at Wolves and Liverpool left the fans distraught, especially losing to the Black Country rivals so heavily.

Albion progressed in the Carling Cup with a second string side, thanks to two own goals as Huddersfield masterminded their own downfall, having led 2-1 with minutes to go. Albion won the penalty shoot out thanks to two saves from Marton Fulop. The Baggies will face Man City at home at the end of November, the Baggies beat them 3-0 earlier this season and knocked them out of the same competition last season.

Game of the Month

wba3-0newcastle.png

Albion destroyed Newcastle, who sat top of the table prior to their meltdown at the Hawthorns. Only 22 minutes in, Cheik Tiote was shown a straight red for a vicious tackle on Jerome Thomas. Shane Long put Albion ahead a minute into first half injury time from Chris Brunts long pass. After 64 minutes Shane Long fed in Peter Odemwingie to double the Baggies lead and Long connected with Brunt's cross to finish the rout on the 84th minute.

premtableoct11.png

Albion occupy 7th place with the same points as Spurs. Newcastle look surprisingly good at this stage, top with a game in hand. Arsenal have pulled away from relegation after hiring Louis Van Gaal. Blackburn, Wigan, Stoke and Bolton have had poor starts.

Player of the Month

Shane Long

article-2119383-1254AEB2000005DC-828_634x444.jpg

5 goals, 3 assists and 2 man of the matches. Shane came runner up for Barclays Player of the Month.

hi-256-0-4bfbf71a19a3b61c5aae9b37a7e3ccd8505a2aed.png

Regis Challenges Strikers

West Bromwich Albion have been scoring a lot of goals since Cyrille Regis took over in July. 19 goals in 10 games makes them the second top scorers in the league and Cyrille Regis has laid down a challenge to his on-form strikers, Shane Long and Peter Odemwingie.

Regis spoke to Sky Sports yesterday about the challenge. "There will be a handsome reward for whichever player can finish top scorer for the club this season. As a striker myself I know all about scoring the goals and Ron Atkinson did this with me a Tony Brown back in the 80s. Tony won that, but Peter and Shane remind me of us back in the day."

Shane Long has scored 7 goals so far, whilst Odemwingie has 5 to his name. Sky Sports also spoke to Shane Long about his current form and about Regis' challenge. "It's good and me and Peter get on very well but there's a good incentive for us to get the goals. Knowing our luck though it'll be Brunty or Torres who will start scoring loads."

Peter-Odemwingie-West-Bromwich-Albion-Premier_2692484.jpg

​With 13 goals between them, it'll be good to see who comes out on top for Albion this season.

There's only one Shane Long,
Shane Long!

west-brom-logo.jpg

November 2011 Review

nov2011.png

No one could stop Albion during November. 17 goals in 4 matches and 8 of them by Shane Long. Peter Odemwingie's double at Norwich got Albion's first away points of the season. Albion then hosted Swansea and Shane Long got his first Premier League (and West Brom) hat-trick. Albion then travelled up North to Wigan, a team Albion struggle against each year. However, Albion went 1-0 up through Shane Long and Chris Brunt was sent off after for an elbow. Despite being down to 10 men, Shane Long got a first half hat trick and 4 second half goals gave Albion their biggest ever Premier League victory.

Finally, Albion marched into the Carling Cup semi final after smashing Man City at home, again! The Baggies will have to get past Liverpool if they want to get to Wembley. Cardiff City and Arsenal are the other teams in the competition.

Game of the Month

wba5-2mancity.png

Again, it is a West Brom win over Manchester City. Cyrille Regis opted to play a first team squad, yet Roberto Mancini opted to throw 3 reserve players into the mix. Albion drew first blood when Jerome Thomas scored after 25 minutes. Jonas Olsson gave away a soft penalty which was converted by David Pizarro on the stroke of half time.

Cyrille Regis must have given his squad a good talking to as his side came back out and Shane Long scored two goals in 5 minutes, one being from the penalty spot. Long attempted to get his hat-trick, but his wayward shot was deflected in by Kolo Toure. Mario Balotteli pulled a goal back for Man City to make it 4-2, but substitute Keith Andrews got his second goal in the competition with 15 minutes left. Jerome Thomas picked up man of the match award after his return from injury.

Many questions have been raised since this month. Can Albion win the cup? Can they qualify for Europe? And finally, could Roberto Mancini be getting the sack with Regis hotly tipped to take over at the Etihad.

premtablenov11.png

It is very cramped at the top of the league. Chelsea are top, but only 2 points seperate them from West Brom in 5th. Arsenal are still under-performing and look unable to finish in the top half this season. Wigan's position looks perilous after losing 7-0 to 10-men Albion at home.

Player of the Month

Shane Long - again

shane-long.jpg

Shane Long is leading the race for the Golden boot with 13 goals in 11 games, 6 of them came this month.

pl2.jpg

West Brom Dominate the Monthly Awards

West Bromwich Albion's Cyrille Regis and Shane Long picked up Barclays Manager and Player of the Month awards. Cyrille Regis has led the Baggies to 3 wins in the league and a big 5-2 win against Manchester City in the Carling Cup. Albion beat Norwich 2-0, Swansea 3-0 and Wigan 7-0 to put them 5th in the table, ahead of all pre-season predictions.

Shane Long scored two hat tricks in the month, against Swansea and Wigan and has found himself top of the goalscoring charts with 13 league goals. Shane came runner-up to Steven Gerrard last month, but his improved form this month sees him win the award, ahead of runner-up Peter Odemwingie, who scored 4 goals in the month.

Spur's defender, Kyle Walker, picks up the Barclays Young Player of the Month, but Albion's Scott Allan came runner-up to that award. The 20 year old made his first league start against Swansea, and came of the bench against Norwich and Wigan and assisted two goals.

Didier Drogba's goal against Arsenal won Goal of the Month award. But yet again, an Albion player was in the mix. Erick Torres' solo effort at Wigan came second on the list.

cyrille-regis-jeremy-peace.jpg

Cyrille Regis with Albion chairman, Jeremy Peace.

bbcsport.png

Marc-Antoine Fortune Set to Join Bristol

Bristol City can today confirm the signing of West Brom's Marc-Antoine Fortune. The striker has played only one game this season and has been very vocal about his desire to leave the Hawthorns. Fortune joins Bristol for a fee of £825k, which could rise to £1m after league goals. The French-Guinea striker will join Bristol on the 1st January when the transfer window opens.

Fortune has had two spells at Albion, before and after his move to Celtic. He has scored 7 league goals in 42 games for Albion. Bristol are currently 4th in the nPower Championship and he will join West Bromwich Albion loanee, Chris Wood at the club who has been amongst the goals.

Football_-_Premier__657996t.jpg

Fortune has only made one appearance, against Huddersfield in the Carling Cup

Loving it. I have to ask what's your tactic and will you upload it. As I said I have trouble getting either striker to score any but consistently. I'm doing really well in my current Southampton save but I really want to do one with the baggies because I did 5 seasons with them last year. My longest ever save.

I'm not home right now guys so I won't be doing an update for a while, nor will I be able to tell you any of my tactics. I will be able to by the end of this week or start of next week.

Thanks for the feedback guys, any criticism is also welcomed :D

I'm not home right now guys so I won't be doing an update for a while, nor will I be able to tell you any of my tactics. I will be able to by the end of this week or start of next week.

Thanks for the feedback guys, any criticism is also welcomed :D
Alright it's **** :p
There isn't anything we can really criticise. You have the baggies outplaying many other teams. I'm just after starting and I signed 10 players by letting go a good bit of our squad. Brought in a lot of talent tho.