The Maldini Revolution - Associazione Calcio Milano

centro+sportivo+Milanello.jpg

Just as arranged, I met with the Assistant manager at 4pm in my other office at Milanello, I wasn't sure if I wanted him as my assistant as we had a bit of history after the champions league final in Instanbul against Liverpool, Walking into the building, the flock of stars at the were in the gym for their first day of what is going to be an intense pre-season. Watching the lads getting put through their paces made me glad I was now retired. I walked through the long corridor and into my office. Mr. Tassoti was already waiting here. We exchanged a handshake and got down business.

View attachment 293394View attachment 293395

"Hello Paolo, It's nice to see you again" He opened with

"It's nice to be back, How are you doing?" I replied, snidely.

"I'm great, I must admit I was surprised when I heard you got the job, I myself applied. But congratulations."

"I was surprised myself when i was appointed. Should we get on with things then...."

"Ok, I thought we could start off with discussing players we would like to ship out of here, there are some real duffers in the team."

"I agree, Who would you suggest."

Across the team report, Mr Tassotti circled players that he would like out of the team.

View attachment 293397

I must admit i completely agreed with the man, Robinho is past his best and we could make a lot of money out of him, Mario Yepes is ageing and takes up a large chunk of the wage budget, Antonini is a player i never rated while i was playing. Massimo is ageing now and doesn't have the legs too keep up with the standard of the Serie A. If i sold all 4 successfully i could have at least 30 million to spend.

We continued with the meeting ....

"I agree with those players, I'll look to the chairman to send out an e-mail to clubs regarding their availabilty and I shall put them on the transfer list immediately."

"I'm happy you agree, Paolo. Now what about players to bring in, We are in desperate need of fresh faces here at the club."

"I'd rather we left this until a later date so we know exactly how much money we will have available."

"That's fair enough. Now training, How will you handle training on a day to day basis for the remainder of pre season training?"

"I will expect my coaches to handle training, While i will be handling more important club matters, But i will make the occasional appearance on the training pitch. But I want everything to be based on ball work, Attacking, I want little problem solving drills where the players must use their brain, The head must always be ticking on the football pitch. Also, I want you to get Kevin-Prince Boateng familiar with dictating the tempo of the game, I want him in the middle of the park dominating the ball, linking up play between midfield and forward line. He'll be vital if we want to succeed this season."

"I agree, Kevin is a huge part of the team. He showed that against Barcelona last season. I'll have a meeting with the other coaches after today's training session. On that final note, Some new coaches are needed, you may want to look into bringing in some new backroom staff, I'm going to have a quick chat with Kevin about your expectations of him this season."

"That sounds great, thanks very much. I'll see you soon."

The meeting went really well, I must say our spat seems to be over. It was now time to go home and relax, Before yet another few meetings tomorrow. I'm getting even more excited about being manager of AC Milan

View attachment 293402

Last edited:
Very well set out mate, not managed in Italy recently but are all the clubs in financial do-do at the minute (not including Napoli)

Very well set out mate, not managed in Italy recently but are all the clubs in financial do-do at the minute (not including Napoli)

Juve also in pretty good shape, new stadium and great team. If they manage to add world class forward I can see them winning CL.

As i sat and watched a youtube video of myself lifting the Champions League from a few years back, I dreamed of achieving the same glory, this time as a manager. But with the current squad, We'd be lucky to progress through to the last 16 of the competition. Using a program created by the club, I moved players around into positions, to find a tactic that could lead me to glory.

a327b9394b2f0d82cc909ce250fc3731.jpg

With the players at my disposal, I had to create a tactic in which had
fluency, complete control of the game, short passing, Push as high up the pitch as possible, I want zonal marking, for us to be efficient in counter attacking our opponents, and finally I want Kevin Prince-Boateng to be our playmaker.

The tactic consists of a flat back four, but i'm keen on both full backs to storm up the wing whenever possible, I want one centre half who is comfortable on the ball, and the other one a no nonsense defender who'll clear the ball at every opportunity. The system includes 2 central midfielders, One who is there too break up play and put the boot in against key players of the opposition, the other is a playmaker who will look to play through balls to the striker at every opportunity. In the 4-2-3-1 formation which will be employed, two out and out wingers will be the main suppliers of goals, They'll look to go to the byline and cross the ball in for the lone poacher to finish. The most important player for this tactic is the Central Attacking Midfielder, Who will be in the hole between the opposition defence, and midfielders. He will look to score from long distance, play neat 1-2's with the strikers, And play balls in between full back and centre half to latch onto, a ball that can't be defended if done properly. Our striker, should score most of his goals inside the penalty box, he should hold the ball up and link with surrounding players and should drag defenders all over the place to open gaps up in the defence for our playmakers to slip the wingers through.

Goalkeeper - Everytime he has the ball, the ball playing centre half, or fullbacks should be creating an angle for him to be able to roll it out and build from the back. He should only ever punt the ball long if it is completely necessary.

Full-Backs - The full backs are vital, and if both aren't doing their jobs, it could cost the team the match. I expect them to ping the ball through for the wingers to run onto and get a cross in, and the occasional defence splitting pass between full back and centre back for the striker to latch onto. Their stamina must be at a high level as i expect them to be up and down the flanks all day long and must never get caught out of position.

Centre Back - BPD - This player should be looking to build moves from the back, as well as stay solid and disciplined. He should be the loud mouth of the team and an example for the rest of the players. This player is allowed the occasional run forward but nothing too risky.

Centre Back - LTD - This player should always be prepared for a mistake by the BPD and have the pace to cover him. This player is a no nonsense defender and should look to boot the ball down the flanks whenever possible. He should be going through every challenge like a brick wall and frighten attackers.

Centre Mid - BMW - This will be the Nigel De Jong role, like a higher up anchorman, with no freedom on the pitch. His job is to shaken up the opposition star man and to break up play and spread simple passes across the pitch.

Centre Mid - Playmaker - This player will be in the middle of the park pinging passes out wide and over the top. He will also try shots from long range regularly to test the keeper.

Wingers - The wingers will stay on the touchline as often as possible making the pitch as big as they can to stretch the defence, I expect them to do their fare share of defending also. They'll look to cross the ball in whenever possible and will be supported by the full backs.

Attacking Midfielder - The vital player of this system.
will be in the hole between the opposition defence, and midfielders. He will look to score from long distance, play neat 1-2's with the strikers, And play balls in between full back and centre half, a ball which can't be defended.

Striker - Poacher - The strikers job is too score the goals, from rebounds and tap ins, as well as the occasional screamer, it is expected he should hold the ball up and link up play, his movement should be first class and should anticipate mistakes from defenders.

View attachment 293494

View attachment 293491

are my posts too long, too short?

when it comes to match reports, should i go for one post per match, monthly or any other ideas ?

are my posts too long, too short?

when it comes to match reports, should i go for one post per match, monthly or any other ideas ?

I'd go with monthly reports. I think that's good lenght so not too long or short. Also separate posts for transfer window activity and stuff like that?

I'd go with monthly reports. I think that's good lenght so not too long or short. Also separate posts for transfer window activity and stuff like that?

yeah that sounds good. I'll do a few updates as the day goes on.

Out with the old

A lot of players in the current side needed shipped out, And I was in dyer need of some money to put towards some fresh blood, Sitting in the office one day, I thought I'd get all of my transfer dealings out of the way to give them time to gel with other team mates.

Sitting, watching the players train from my window, Robinho didn't look interested, and that to me ensured he would be one of the first to leave. I sent out an e-mail to all clubs regarding his availabilty and put him on the transfer list. Within 30 minutes, Liverpool had contacted me, Stating they'd love to have him at Anfield, And offered 5 million pounds, for a 12 month loan fee and agreed they would pay 94000 euros of his 135,000 euros a week wage. An offer I could not refused. I walked down to the training field, "Robbie" I shouted, "My office, now." i finished with, walking back to my office. He entered.

View attachment 293602View attachment 293601

"Whats wrong boss?" He opened with

"We've had a loan offer from liverpool for you. We've accepted it, It's now up to you."

"YESS!! I've wanted to go back to England. Thanks boss."

"Good luck, I'll see you next summer."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was now time to call in Urby Emmanuelson who had requested a move away from here after being placed in the reserves. I called him in from training, He followed with a huge grin on his face...

View attachment 293602View attachment 293605

"Have you found me a club yet boss?"

"That's what i brought you in here for, Everton have made a bid of 6.75 million and we reluctantly accepted it."

"That's great news, I'll go over for discussions with my agent and see if it's the right move for me."

"I'll see you when you get back, If you come back."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mathieu Flamini, Another player who was placed in the reserves was also attracting interest from a host of clubs around Europe. We accepted 3 bids from Lille, Newcastle and Sevilla. It was time to tell him the news ...

View attachment 293602View attachment 293607

"Hey boss, whats up?"

"We've had offers from Lille, Newcastle and Sevilla, and are all willing to pay 6.5 million for your services, all bids have been accepted and you are free to leave the club."

"Thats fantastic, I think it's time for me to return to France, It's been great working under you even for this short period of time, I wish you and the club the best of luck for the season."

"Thanks Mathieu, I wish you the best of luck wherever you end up."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next to leave would be 33 year old Colombian Mario Yepes who I was desperate to get rid of. I invited him into my office.

View attachment 293602View attachment 293614

"Hi boss, I've seen a lot of players come into your office today, and are leaving the club now. I just want to take the opportunity to say that if this is because of me taking Stephan and Mattia to a strip club i want to give you my sincerest apologies."

"Well your'e right, but i'm sorry it's just not acceptable behaviour. You're going to hinder the development of the players if you hang around, anyway you won't be playing much football. Werder Bremen have bid 100,000 euros for you and we accepted it, I hope you accept the contract they offer."

"I will accept the offer, but i want this club to keep paying me 7.75 thousand til my contract runs out, If i don't get that, I don't leave."

"That's fine. Enjoy Germany, Mario."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scouring throw emails, two bids from two different clubs for two different youngsters appeared in my inbox. I invited both in ....

(No pictures)

"Hi boss, You wanted us both."

"Hi kids, Mattia, You shall be going on loan to Vicenza for the season, you'll gather some first team experience while you are there. And Alberto, You shall be going on loan to Teramo for the season, You shall also get a lot of playing time there."

"I'll see you both next year."

Mattia - "That's great, I've been desperate for first team football.

Alberto - "Thats good news boss, see you soon."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The final outgoing player of the season came as a surprise but it was an offer I couldn't refuse. PSG came a knocking for midfielder Nocerino. I invited him into the office to reveal the news.

View attachment 293602View attachment 293615

"Hello coach, I was told to come here, what's up?

"With deep regret, Antonio, We've had to accept a bid from PSG for you, the offer was around 12 million euros. It's an offer the club can't afford to reject."

"I don't want to leave boss, but you must understand that the offer they will probably make will be to good to pass by, Football is a short career and i intend to make as much money as possible."

"That's understandable, If you choose to accept the contract I wish you the best of luck."

"Thanks boss. I'll see you later."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUMMARY

Robinho - Liverpool - Loan deal - 5m - Future fee of 24,500,000 euros.
Antonio Nocerino - PSG - 12,000,000 euros
Urby Emmanuelson - Everton - 6,750,000 euros
Mathieu Flamini - Lille - ,500,000 euros
Mario Yepes - Werder Bremen - 100,000 euros
Alberto Spagnoli - Teramo - Loan Deal
Antonio Valoti - Vicenza - Loan Deal

View attachment 293624

In With The New

With 30 million euros now available, I set out to buy a defensive midfielder,A centre back who is comfortable on the ball, and a future wonderkid or two. My chief scout Andrea Valdinoci and I sat in my office and looked at the possibility of us bringing in players of those types. He showed me a report he made on a Brazilian wonderkid he had watched, his name was Adryan and was available for a cheap 1,000,000 euros because of the release clause on his contract. Before i sent an e-mail to Mr. Berlusconi, We needed at least 2 more players.

Another little Brazilian gem popped up from a report made by another scout. Fernando Lucas Martins, aka Fernando, was also available on the cheap at 7.25 million euros due to a clause in his contract. He is a dominant midfielder who is strong in a tackle and has enough stamina to run from box to box for 90 minutes, he was exactly what we needed, Also at the age of 20, a large profit could be made considering he is developed properly.

Still trying to find the perfect defender, An unnamed agent phoned me declaring his client, a centre half for Cagliari was available for 15 million euros after requesting to be placed on the transfer list, He also stated the player is desperate to stay in Italy and thrives to play Champions League football. Within 2 minutes of the phone call, I was emailing the president.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr Berlusconi.

Yesterday at our weekly meeting, You told me to have a list of transfer targets ready for you first thing next monday, But I'm pleased to announce that myself and Mr. Valdinoci have already highlighted the 3 players we would like to bring to AC Milan. We believe these 3 players have the ability to improve the current side and in the future could sell on to make a large profit.

These are the 3 players we'd like to sign

View attachment 293631

This is Adryan, A 17 year old Brazilian Attacking midfielder who plays for Fluminense and is available for 1 million euros

View attachment 293632

This is Fernando, who plays for Gremio, he is 20 year old Brazilian defensive midfielder and is available for 7.25 million euros

View attachment 293633

This is Davide Astori, who plays for Cagliari, He is A 25 year old Italian central defender and is available for 15 million euros

I look forward too hearing from you soon regarding these transfer targets.

Yours,
Paolo Maldini

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two hours later, I recieved an Email from Mr. Berlusconi, Subject - 3 bids accepted.
It read

Paolo,

All 3 bids for the players you emailed me about earlier today have been accepted and are already flying out to Milan, Davide has already accepted his contract and will be revealed as an AC Milan player tomorrow. The Brazilian kids get here 9am tomorrow, But don't you get out of bed early as it's your day off. I'll handle their contracts so consider them already players of AC Milan.

Enjoy your evening.
Silvio

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And just like that, I had 3 new players and couldn't wait to get to work with them

Overall I spent 23.5 million euros in the transfer market and made 26 million euros

making 2.5 million profit.

View attachment 293634

Last edited:
Pre-Season Fixtures

4 friendlies were arranged for our pre-season, the main focus being fitness, and familiarising the players with the tactics i had set. We had one glamour friendly against Real Madrid, And the others again Belgian lower division side Liege, Ligue 1 outfit Sochaux and Championship side Birmingham City, I fully expect to win these 3 fixtures, as well as build fitness for the long season ahead and more importantly getting to grips with the way we will be playing from now on,

Our first game was against RFC Liege away.

View attachment 293649View attachment 293650
La Pairay
RFC Liege 1 - 3 AC Milan

The guys found it difficult at first and lost the lead after 20 minutes after a bad mistake from Kevin Constant, However he made up for it with a 35 yard screamer. He then doubled his tally after some nice link up play between him and Niang. Abate rounded off a fantastic second half performance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next it was a trip to France to play a talent filled Sochaux

View attachment 293653View attachment 293650
Stade Auguste Bonal
Sochaux 2 - 2 AC Milan

A very open match at the Stade Auguste Bonal, Ryad Boudebouz scored a double within the first 22 minutes, Both screamers which could not have been dealt with by Abbiati in goals. Sochaux had 82% possession for the first 40 minutes but a youthful side replied through Mbaye Niang on 42 minutes. The team came out flying through the traps after a telling off, And Nigel De Jong was now man marking Boudebouz who terrorised our defence first half. We settled down and got a nice passing rhythm going and Adryan started to carve open the defence single handedly. We finally equalised 3 minutes from time through Adryan, Kevin Constant ran down the wing and cut it back from the byline to the edge of the box and Adryan fired it in to the top corner. Rather pleased with the second half performance but a very, very slow start again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Three days later we were in Madrid to play the Giants of Spanish football Real Madrid.

View attachment 293662View attachment 293650
Santiago Bernabeu
Real Madrid 2 - 0 AC Milan

A ridiculous performance by an experienced first 11. Real Madrid has 86% possession, 18 shots on target and 17 corners compared to the 2 shots on target we had and 1 corner. Ronaldo terrorised young Abate the hole 90 minutes and assisted Benzama twice early in the first half and early in the second half to kill of my team. I flew back to Milan fuming after that shocking performance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View attachment 293665View attachment 293650
St Andrews
Birmingham 1 - 2 AC Milan

A really good performance by the guys. We dominated possession with 82% and had 19 shots on target. The passing was crisp and sharp from each player and the new signings look like they are finally gelling with the existing squad. A towering header got us of to a flyer, then the lead was doubled on 67 minutes by Pato after a one two with Adryan. Marlon King scored a consolation 7 minutes into added time.

The Pre-Season friendlies were a success in their own right, the results never went our way at times but the team is finally gelling.

Player of pre season is Adryan who picked up a few assists and for an 18 year old was leading by example

View attachment 293666

I like the way you are "creating" your story.. paying attention to all details and describe them here. I like this kind of story :)
hope you bring success to club :)

I like the way you are "creating" your story.. paying attention to all details and describe them here. I like this kind of story :)
hope you bring success to club :)

thanks bud means a lot.

This is really well written, I love the style you've approached it with. Certainly I could learn a thing or two from it. Really hope you make a success of it, the touch of playing up the blatant undercurrent of sleeze eminating from the owner is wonderful, I'm surprised the mystery AC Milan physio picture hasn't shown up yet ;)

very good tranfers and results you made mate!! also a well written story!

This is really well written, I love the style you've approached it with. Certainly I could learn a thing or two from it. Really hope you make a success of it, the touch of playing up the blatant undercurrent of sleeze eminating from the owner is wonderful, I'm surprised the mystery AC Milan physio picture hasn't shown up yet ;)

thanks mate.
I don't understand the physio bit though haha