The Manchester United Thread

He is homegrown, young and can actually pass the ball out of defence. He was always going for 30-40 Mn. Would've been good as a rotation option, honestly. Would mean we got rid of Jones, but oh well, CB is actually the least of our worries as of now, this season.

So can Maguire but what we need is a stopper kind of CB

Yeah but he’s not actually that good at defending and ok at best in the air. Homegrown or not 41m for a relegation CB with less than 2yrs on his current contract is steep imo.

He's awful in the air...worse than Lindelof in that regard. I can't count how many times he's lost aerial duels from set pieces/crosses.

I would have had him as a squad option. Never in a million years worth 41m. So much for COVID affecting the market

Exceptions like Chelsea coming off the ban having sold heavily last summer and City continuing to be backed by a State aren't any indication to hang anything on mate.

Many clubs are having to cut back and act like a proper business acts for the first time. That's the stark reality.

Ole actually planted the seed & tricked Pep into buying Aké off those post-match comments vs Bournemouth :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Nice left foot but undersized & doesn't sniff danger. 41M is mad.
Maybe Pep sees something the rest don't, then again oh yes he's British....
Bench fodder for City again definately.

A good piece and insight into what has probably been our best ever partnership in the PL era - Rio and Vidic. I must admit, as a kid when I started watching these two, I simply loved Vidic! He was the tough, no nonsense guy and strikers would be terrified going up against him. It's only later that I came to understand just how classy Rio was - Probably ranks up there as one of the best ever defenders in the PL era. And their partnership was simply perfect.

A good piece and insight into what has probably been our best ever partnership in the PL era - Rio and Vidic. I must admit, as a kid when I started watching these two, I simply loved Vidic! He was the tough, no nonsense guy and strikers would be terrified going up against him. It's only later that I came to understand just how classy Rio was - Probably ranks up there as one of the best ever defenders in the PL era. And their partnership was simply perfect.
Vidic was great but he was a carthorse compared to Rio. The Van Dijk before the Van Dijk. The best of his generation.

Vidic is the definition of an old school, no nonsense defender: Aerially dominant and strong in the tackle. He wasn't however without flaws. He had the pace of Maguire and he was w@nk on the ball. He'd get easily outwitted by more guile, technically opposition ala Torres and Kaka.

Rio in his prime was the very definition of a modern day defender: Great with the ball in his feet and a brilliant reader of the game while being a great defender all round. Personally, I preferred Rio's footballing intelligence and elegance over Vidic's brute strength approach but they complimented each other.

Vidic is the definition of an old school, no nonsense defender: Aerially dominant and strong in the tackle. He wasn't however without flaws. He had the pace of Maguire and he was w@nk on the ball. He'd get easily outwitted by more guile, technically opposition ala Torres and Kaka.

Rio in his prime was the very definition of a modern day defender: Great with the ball in his feet and a brilliant reader of the game while being a great defender all round. Personally, I preferred Rio's footballing intelligence and elegance over Vidic's brute strength approach but they complimented each other.
That's nonsense mate. Sure, Vidic wasn't the fastest. but he is like La Ferrari compared to Maguire. And he wasn't weak on the ball. Again, nothing special, but he didn't need to. Also, find me a defender that wasn't outwitted by prime Torres and Kaka.
But Ferdinand was on a level above I agree.

Vidic was great but he was a carthorse compared to Rio. The Van Dijk before the Van Dijk. The best of his generation.

The three straight reds in three straight games against us were fun. Someone like Bellamy who was rapid used to run rings round him one-on-one.

But outside of Adamas and Keown, I'm hard-pressed to not agree he and Ferdinand are the PL's top CH pairing to date.

Saw on Twitter:

Zlatan in 2016/17 - goal contribution every 110 mins (35 in all comps)
Lukaku in 2017/18 - goal contribution every 115 mins (35 in all comps)

................... Martial's first season at #9 - goal contribution every 101 mins (33 in all comps, with significantly less minutes than the other pair).

So there's literally 0 drop off in output from the top "traditional" number 9s we've always been hellbent on (in fact, a little better. And he's won more penalties too which should be a more highlighted stat, imo) and he's providing a helll of a lot more for the team with his overall game (ability to provide rotations, his technique/associative game in comparison to Lukaku, his pressure on the ball & pace in comparison to Zlatan, etc.). I don't think I'd consider swapping him for any other striker on the planet bar maybe Benzema or Firmino based on how we want to play.

Angel Gomes close to joining Lille according to Bouhafsi.

And Utd in talkswith various Championship clubs for loan deals for Laird, Garner, Levitt, Kovar.

Gomes will straight away be loaned out to Boavista as they have the same owners and Lille can’t guarantee him first team football.

Feel the young lad been poorly advised here!

Gomes will straight away be loaned out to Boavista as they have the same owners and Lille can’t guarantee him first team football.

Feel the young lad been poorly advised here!

Can't say I feel sorry for him. The kid obviously thought he was better than he was asking for first team football ahead of the likes of Bruno and Rashford.

Can't say I feel sorry for him. The kid obviously thought he was better than he was asking for first team football ahead of the likes of Bruno and Rashford.
Nope I don’t. Talented lad who was promised a pathway and offered a good contract. But was poorly advised and fecked it all up thinking he would have clubs jumping for him.