The Manchester United Thread

No news of Chong going out on loan. Wonder if this means one or both of Lingard and Periera are leaving this summer.

Just imagine watching this with Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, Pogba, Fernandes and maybe a couple more signings ???.

I'd refrain from judging a player from YouTube highlights. Sancho also does into no man's land often so his decision making could be improved

He's talented but not quite the finished article.

Last edited:
I'd refrain from judging a player from YouTube highlights. Sancho also does into no man's land often so his decision making could be improved

He's talented but not quite the finished article.
I’ve watched him plenty and seen him live also. Obviously by no means the finished article. But the pure talant and quality is undeniable!

Gomes will straight away be loaned out to Boavista as they have the same owners and Lille can’t guarantee him first team football.

Feel the young lad been poorly advised here!
He is clearly listening to someone who is telling him he is better than he is at this stage in his career. Full time first team football at United wasn't on the cards for next season and he would have gone on loan to either one of the lower premiership teams or a championship team where he could develop without the pressure of playing for United. Now it looks like he will have to accept that clubs aren't really as interested as he was advised. He will no doubt learn from the experience and may actually develop into a decent prospect. For now however, he's made his bed so he needs to lie on it and think if it is really what he wanted.

He is clearly listening to someone who is telling him he is better than he is at this stage in his career. Full time first team football at United wasn't on the cards for next season and he would have gone on loan to either one of the lower premiership teams or a championship team where he could develop without the pressure of playing for United. Now it looks like he will have to accept that clubs aren't really as interested as he was advised. He will no doubt learn from the experience and may actually develop into a decent prospect. For now however, he's made his bed so he needs to lie on it and think if it is really what he wanted.
Personally think you won’t hear much about him from now. Shame really.

there not stingy its just outside of juv no 1 got any money
After the season he’s had there and to sniff at the deal due to 3m. Oh well someone will have him off us for more than 12m Roma wanted him for and we will get a buyer for the 15m we was asking them for. Inter now have cash to but. Now with there new owners. Will make the league bit more interesting now.

In other news Bournemouth have also entered the race for Garner on loan

Smalling back for another season is ideal in many ways, perfect option to have in many comps next season and means we don't necessarily need a CB now.

Can focus on other areas and make sure they get done, feel for Smalling but no reason why he can't work his way in to the team anyway.

Smalling back for another season is ideal in many ways, perfect option to have in many comps next season and means we don't necessarily need a CB now.

Can focus on other areas and make sure they get done, feel for Smalling but no reason why he can't work his way in to the team anyway.
Ehhh, I'd still like a top class CB. Like I've said, Lindelof is a back up CB. Having Maguire and a new CB starting with Smalling and Lindelof as the backups is the ideal situation.

Ehhh, I'd still like a top class CB. Like I've said, Lindelof is a back up CB. Having Maguire and a new CB starting with Smalling and Lindelof as the backups is the ideal situation.

I don't think there is much between Lindelof and Maguire honestly, sure the latter is better aerially but there has been games where Lindelof has been the better of the two. Like take the last game of the season against Leicester, where Lindelof didn't put a foot wrong while Maguire nearly tripped over the ball in his own box. Lindelof doesn't get enough love for me and he's a real good defender on his day.

Am I saying he's perfect and we don't need to improve? Not really but defence isn't the priority, there is nothing in this league apart from Liverpool that has a defence on our level. You say we need another top class CB to partner Maguire..... no I'm afraid we just have to accept that he was meant to be that and isn't it.

Maguire is good enough though right now as our defence has improved. Plus there isn't any CB worth signing now who is that much better and won't cost ridiculous money I'll pass on the likes of Koulibally who has been poor recently anyway.

Smalling won’t be back for another season. He will be sold and left because he’s not what Ole wants and doesn’t want to be 3rd or 4th choice CB. The only time Linderlof has been better than Maguire is a few games post lockdown. Where Maguire has been knackered and the effects of playing all those games and a lot with injections has caught up with him.

Very interesting the links to genuine Left footed CBs. Be important tho the balance of the side. Also think Maguire will play better on the right side.

I don't think there is much between Lindelof and Maguire honestly, sure the latter is better aerially but there has been games where Lindelof has been the better of the two. Like take the last game of the season against Leicester, where Lindelof didn't put a foot wrong while Maguire nearly tripped over the ball in his own box. Lindelof doesn't get enough love for me and he's a real good defender on his day.

Am I saying he's perfect and we don't need to improve? Not really but defence isn't the priority, there is nothing in this league apart from Liverpool that has a defence on our level. You say we need another top class CB to partner Maguire..... no I'm afraid we just have to accept that he was meant to be that and isn't it.

Maguire is good enough though right now as our defence has improved. Plus there isn't any CB worth signing now who is that much better and won't cost ridiculous money I'll pass on the likes of Koulibally who has been poor recently anyway.

That's the thing. When you spend £80 million on a center half, you expect that Van Dijk-esque impact. Now, we have conceded 20 goals less this season compared to the last which shows an improvement but there's still a hint of disappointment.

Perhaps if you're fine with just competing for top 4, you could say a starting partnership of Maguire and Lindelof is fine but if you have title aspirations, I think we could upgrade on Lindelof. I'd still have Maguire because he's good aerially which is important in the bpl.

If that's the case, Romagnoli pls ?
Romagnoli would be a dream, and I was genuinely rooting for us to go after him last season. In terms of reading of the game and potential, he is one of the best. But considering Mino Raiola, yeah, could take a pass on him. I still feel he needs a move to reach his potential, and that he has it in him to be one of the very best.