The Manchester United Thread

Solskjaer wants to win a trophy
“Four games away from winning a trophy. The team has developed all through the season, delighted with finishing third but next step is winning a trophy.”

Lingard looking to build upon Leicester goal
“Not had the best of seasons, and after lockdown I wanted to impress the manager. The hard work paid off (vs Leicester) and a goal gives you confidence. I am looking forward to playing in the next game.”

Solskjaer tempted to rest key players for rest of season?
“The players want to play, they don’t want a break. It is not easy to say ‘no, you’re resting.’ I hope the players need to win like I do. For me we go into the tournament with players wanting to win, and we won’t be giving them a break.”

Tuanzebe and Shaw injury latest
“Axel started getting niggles and had to have an operation in his foot. He’ll be back early September. Same with Luke, should be ready for when the [2020-21] league season starts.

Lingard to start vs LASK
“Jesse will be starting tomorrow, but the team won’t be too different from LASK in March.”

United plans for Europa League knockout tournament in Germany
“There has been a discussion to how tournament pans out. At the moment we are staying, so we will be staying in Germany.”

How has style changed under Solskjaer?
“Different managers have different ways of playing. Man United has always been attacking style we love to attack, to press a ball. The boss has brought that to the team. We like playing quick and scoring goals.” - Lingz

How has style changed under Solskjaer?
“There is no right or wrong way to coach. For me I have been here for 11 years as player and four as a coach, I have been influenced by those years. We are working on pressing high, on counter-attack.” - Ole

Chris Smalling update
“I think Chris has shown how valuable he is for Man United and this season was about being a regular, proving how good a centre-back he is. I wanted to give Harry, Vic and Axel a chance so we find out Roma was best for him. He has shown this season he will be valuable. I have been speaking to him throughout and have been delighted with his season.”

@FabrizioRomano
#Sancho update!
Man United and BVB in talks all day again. The two clubs are “very confident” to find an agreement soon about the final fee (add ons and installments included). Personal terms now finally agreed until June 2025. 250k per week # MUFC

Another promising youngster tied down LT ?

Manchester United
@manutd
A breakthrough campaign ?

Following a fine debut season, Brandon Williams has been rewarded with a new deal 4+1 year option ?

#MUFC

Lets just release him because he had one or two bad games.... mind boggling some of these fans. He has largely been very dependable when called upon and I see no reason why we shouldn't be excited to see how he develops.

Lets just release him because he had one or two bad games.... mind boggling some of these fans. He has largely been very dependable when called upon and I see no reason why we shouldn't be excited to see how he develops.
All things considering he’s done very well. Better than Shaw before lockdown most parts especially going forward. It’s his first full season thrown into a crunch season for the club and handled it very well imo.

@utdrobbo
·
Aug 4, 2020
#mufc want a director of football but want to avoid appointing the wrong one especially as things are moving in the right direction at the club. It won't be some 'transfer supremo' as they are confident over Solskjær's vision & plan especially on recruitment. [@David_Ornstein]
Profile photo, opens profile page on Twitter in a new tab
@utdrobbo
It could be someone to operate alongside Ole on the football side who knows #mufc & has vast footballing experience or someone on the operational side, more administrative, which could include in some of the biggest names in that role in world football. [@David_Ornstein]

Wish him all the best but he’s been badly advised and will be forgotten about sharpish.
Definately badly advised and now he's going to be playing in an inferior league. No disrespect to the Portuguese league but he would be getting the same level (if not better) at a championship or lower Premiership club over here which is probably the plan United had for him next season. He's made his choice and ultimately he will either live to regret the decision or eventually get the playing time at a top clup he clearly thinks he should be getting now.

Definately badly advised and now he's going to be playing in an inferior league. No disrespect to the Portuguese league but he would be getting the same level (if not better) at a championship or lower Premiership club over here which is probably the plan United had for him next season. He's made his choice and ultimately he will either live to regret the decision or eventually get the playing time at a top clup he clearly thinks he should be getting now.

Sounds familiar, and that kids about to go for 98million.

Some fans seem to think you come a bad player overnight these days. William's is still learning at this level and like you say has been dependable largely. Even the best players can have off days. He's done well considering he has been thrown in at the deep end for much of the season. Consistency will come with more experience and maturity.

Sounds familiar, and that kids about to go for 98million.
You could also look at it in terms of a kid who has been loaned to Middlesboro recently as well. Only time will tell if he has made the right choice just don't forget for every Sancho you will always find a Ravel Morrison. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Latest reports state that the Sancho deal is nowhere near being close, with Dortmund's demands a problems. Also reports stating that Sancho's wages are a problem, as they are rather high. Sigh. Frustrating, but a little proud. Atleast they've learned something from previous deals - reluctance to break the wage structure for any player post Sanchez.

Mind you, I still hope we get him in, it is a key position which hasn't been properly addressed for almost a decade, if not more. Just hope we have alternative targets, and are not pinning our hopes only on Sancho then.

Latest reports state that the Sancho deal is nowhere near being close, with Dortmund's demands a problems. Also reports stating that Sancho's wages are a problem, as they are rather high. Sigh. Frustrating, but a little proud. Atleast they've learned something from previous deals - reluctance to break the wage structure for any player post Sanchez.

Mind you, I still hope we get him in, it is a key position which hasn't been properly addressed for almost a decade, if not more. Just hope we have alternative targets, and are not pinning our hopes only on Sancho then.
From what I understand, the backup plan is get Kingsley Coman on loan for a season and then get Sancho for a much cheaper fee next summer (1 year left on his contract)

From what I understand, the backup plan is get Kingsley Coman on loan for a season and then get Sancho for a much cheaper fee next summer (1 year left on his contract)
I wouldn't count too much on that. You can expect a whole host of clubs behind him next season - City, Liverpool, Madrid to name a few. We are in the lead this season because we are the only club bidding for him.

I do like Coman on loan, but he has a dreadful record with injuries, doesn't he? We have also been linked with Chiesa, but don't know too much about him (know him from FM, just not seen him IRL).

Mate this is is all fluff a clear briefing all the exact same journos reported the exact same thing word by word for the AWB, Maguire and Bruno deal then days later all 3 players signed. Don’t worry Sancho is coming mate. The most clear and obvious brief by the club to drag it out a few more days for media exposure. Frustrating but that’s just how we operate. Falk, Fjortoft, Ramano all know what’s happening!

Fabrizio Romano
@FabrizioRomano
work in progress. “Negative” updates are not true. Simply work in progress. ?? #Sancho

Jan Aage Fjortoft ?️‍? ??
@JanAageFjortoft
Dortmund still want 120 mill Euro. That’s the total fee
Things like this take time. Initial fee, installments, over how many years, how to finance it, etc
People who want this to happen got to be patient. Like the deal-makers

Christian Falk
@cfbayern
Not true! Update @Sanchooo10: @manutd and Sancho have an agreement on a contract til 2025. the Player gets a mega salary. but: Dortmund still insists on 120 million euros Transfer fee @BILD_Sport

So obvious lol just surprised the British media let us do it lol.

@ChrisWheelerDM
Man Utd at loggerheads with Sporting Lisbon over Portuguese club's £68m valuation of Bruno Fernandes. Two clubs way apart on fee but talks expected to resume next week. Fernandes has not agreed personal terms deal way off. #mufc

BBC Sport
@BBCSport
Leicester City and Manchester United remain far apart in their valuation of England defender Harry Maguire. Deal on the brink of collapse as club look for alternatives.

#mufc's attempt to sign Bruno Fernandes has stalled. Sporting want €80m, which United are unwilling to pay. Talks continue but the club haven't ruled out looking for alternatives #mulive [bbc]

Don’t worry ?