The Manchester United Thread

Sancho obviously our number 1 target this summer. Any other business will depend largely on sales and wages cleared.

Last edited:
One signing is not enough.... we need 3 players in to improve this squad and significantly improve next season. City have already bought 2 players and will get more.

I'll say it again, Ole must be ruthless and bin the deadwood like Pereira, Lingard, etc etc. They've had way too many opportunities already, we NEED better quality in this squad... it's so evident to see our depth is weak.

Why do you feel the need to discuss transfer rumours in multiple threads?
We know nothing, or very little, whats happening behind the scenes. Just relax a bit and lets enjoy football tonight.

We know nothing, or very little, whats happening behind the scenes. Just relax a bit and lets enjoy football tonight.

And lets not mention the "Are number one target" from a native English speaker.
I'm all in favour of a theory test for UK residents before they can access the internet.

Well actually I'd argue it seems quite clear Lingard is staying, which was part of my post so.... it's not a transfer rumour. Considering how long United take over big deals it honestly wouldn't surprise me if they neglected other deals and then didn't have time to complete much business after the Sancho saga.

Anyway on another topic, does anyone actually feel confident about us at the moment? I mean in regards to winning Europa?

The way we have played recently, I just don't see us making any game easy, for me even tomorrow against Copenhagen is not a foregone conclusion by any means.

Well actually I'd argue it seems quite clear Lingard is staying, which was part of my post so.... it's not a transfer rumour. Considering how long United take over big deals it honestly wouldn't surprise me if they neglected other deals and then didn't have time to complete much business after the Sancho saga.

Anyway on another topic, does anyone actually feel confident about us at the moment? I mean in regards to winning Europa?

The way we have played recently, I just don't see us making any game easy, for me even tomorrow against Copenhagen is not a foregone conclusion by any means.
No game will be easy. I think we should be winning the EL but it’s not a given with some good teams still left in it. But I feel a lot more confident now than a week or 2 ago. Knowing the players will have had some much needed rest.

You have relative easy path to Semis, there you will get better opponent but slips can happen. For me Inter and Wolves are clear favourites for the title.

You have relative easy path to Semis, there you will get better opponent but slips can happen. For me Inter and Wolves are clear favourites for the title.

Fancy Sevilla myself.

Anyway. Deadline eve.

Oh

The

DRAMA! *Spinning eye roll.

Just hoping the rest the squad got did wonders.

Just hoping the rest the squad got did wonders.

Still a bit baffled by Ole's selections and subs in that LASIK game, why did he bring Maguire who has played so much football back so soon? Also why sub off Lingard when he is having a good game... is he saving him for later in the competition or something? :ROFLMAO:

Thought the Lasik game was perfect to see our youngsters more, especially Mengi but instead we see our dead squad players who shouldn't even be here for me.... Mata, Lingard, James (don't rate him at all), Fosu-Mensah...... he's just not good enough either. I want to like him but he offers zero going forward and a modern fullback needs to.

Last edited:
Still a bit baffled by Ole's selections and subs in that LASIK game, why did he bring Maguire who has played so much football back so soon? Also why sub off Lingard when he is having a good game... is he saving him for later in the competition or something? :ROFLMAO:

Thought the Lasik game was perfect to see our youngsters more, especially Mengi but instead we see our dead squad players who shouldn't even be here for me.... Mata, Lingard, James (don't rate him at all), Fosu-Mensah...... he's just not good enough either. I want to like him but he offers zero going forward and a modern fullback needs to.
There was absolutely nothing wrong with the team selection. The squad players needed mins having not played since lockdown has lifted. Simple as that really. Another supporter writing off James after not even his first season ??‍♂️ And what has TFM done wrong when played? Nothing!

The reason James gets so much stick around here is because he was massively overplayed this season. He is not supposed to be a starting player for United, he is not supposed to win us points every week like he did at the beginning of the season. The guy is the embodiment of a squad player. We have had zero options on the right wing before Mason's emergence and we had zero options on the left wing when one of Martial or Rashford were injured. So as a result he played pretty much non stop for Manchester United after having about one full season in the Championship plus all the off field stuff, can't you see that the criticism for him is not justified what so ever? If anything he should be praised that he preformed during august-september-October when no one else did instead of getting ridiculed because some people bought into his hype way to much.
Very useful player against tired defences and teams that will give him space on the counter like the top 5/6.

Obviously mate. Perhaps Lingard has turned the corner ?

From the presser:

Injury update
"Phil, Axel and Luke are the three players we've left behind.

Williams on his rise
"It's been a crazy season for me, myself and I my family.

I started with the reserves but now I'm with the first team and I want to play as many games as possible."

On squad bubble
"We'll cross that bridge when we get to it, we've put plans in place but for me it's only about this game now, we can't think too far ahead, it's a knockout tournament, if you don't perform you go home."

Williams on chance of dropping to the U23 squad
"I think it's not a case of that at any time I can drop down to the 23s and anything I wanna keep working hard and try and play as many games as I can.

"I think it's just down to myself to keep on performing, keep myself fit and every game like I am, always ready for the next game but we've got a game tomorrow and a one-off we need to win."

Solskjaer on Solbakken
"Well I've known Ståle since... I played against him in 95, I've known him for years, he's had a very good career as a player, always the one we looked to stop playing, creative midfielder, fantastic coaching career.

"Started with hometown team, been Copenhagen (two spells), Cologne, Wolves, in a similar way he's had his ups and downs but really come through again and leaving a legacy at Copenhagen who are in the quarter-final for the first time.

"It's step by step. I went to Copenhagen to do my Pro License and they lost to Chelsea and hopefully this time they'll lose to us."

Solskjaer on Europa League finals with no fans
"I think it is strange and it is not football as it should be, I think it's changed a little bit, that passion and edge to the game is missing, fans have gotta be there, Our players have done really well, handled situation really well and I know our fans can't wait to get back and support us and we must try and make the most of the Europa League and get as far as we can so they can look forward to seeing the players."

Solskjaer on Pogba
"I've answered numerous questions on Paul and we're delighted he's back playing, he's fit, he's enjoying his football, he's got to make up for lost time and he's doing that.

He's training extra, always a great personality around the place and hopefully we can see him lift this trophy as he has done before.

He's pro, a fantastic boy and delighted we've got him in the team."

Solskjaer on Romero-De Gea decision
"That's an obvious question. I think I must be the most prilveged manager in the world with the goalkeeping department. Sergio, David and Dean. Three top 'keepers.

This season has shown how important Sergio has been for us. David has been performing there. We'll see what we'll do going forward.

Difficult? Yes. But that's a good problem to have."

Williams on his favourite position
"It's from being a kid here, it's part of the club DNA to have that passion. It's got to be controlled and not over the top. It's what the United coaches gave me.

Wherever the manager wants to play, I'll put a shift in. It doesn't matter where I play."

Solskjaer on more to come from Martial
"Definitely. Antho has made huge strides this season in many aspects of his game. I like him scoring the simple goals. I know he can do the 'worldies'.

He's in gym and he's working on his strength. He's physically at his best level of his career. There is more to come definitely."

Solskjaer on Copenhagen
"I'm not surprised. I know how Ståle has built the club and what they're about. We played them against Molde and I know Ståle such a long time. Copenhagen has a great history in doing well in Europe.

They have individuals there. The three young forwards are interesting. The biggest strength is the teamwork and organisation."

Solskjaer on trophy meaning less due to the changes
"We are in strange times. We've got to make the most of it. It would mean a lot to the players, the club and supporters if we reached the final. We have to make the best of a difficult situation."

Solskjaer on Dean Henderson
"Competition for places is good. It'll be difficult to keep three of them at the club. So we'll see what the decision will be there."

Solskjaer on striking competition
"The three of them have been backing each other. I hope they continue their development because it'll be exciting times for United."

Solskjaer on finishing third relieving pressure
"I don't think so. We went into this season knowing EL is a great chance for us. To get a trophy and groom a few of the youngsters. It was perfect for us.

If we were in the Champions League, we might not have played Mason, Brandon and the young kids so much. Europa League has been about keeping the squad together and having a group together that works together. Brandon is going to play in a quarter-final - that's a great achievement. And it's been perfect for us."

Solskjaer on winning streak
"We have developed through the season. We had a squad that worked together. A few changes in January window made us stronger. The teamwork we done. It was more natural and we found good form. We got players back from injury and one loss in 23 games is one too many."

Adam Marshall
@AdamSMarshall
Some impressive friendlies lined up for #MUFC Under-23s but the games are obviously strictly being played behind closed doors:

Wed 12 Aug: v. Salford City
Tue 18 Aug: v. Swindon Town
Sat 22 Aug: v. Morecambe
Tue 25 Aug: v. Stoke City U23s
Fri 28 Aug: v. Macclesfield Town
Tue 1 Sep: v. Doncaster Rovers
Sat 5 Sep: v. Everton U23s