Status
Not open for further replies.

udbhav45

Banned
Reaction score
The history of tactics is the history of the manipulation of space. Space is created – or emerges – for one player, and he begins to have a disproportionate influence on the game. Then a way is found to block him, and in turn space will appear somewhere else on the pitch.

More recently, the attacking full-back has become increasingly important. Ashley Cole's performance for Chelsea on Sunday showed exactly the damage such a player can cause if he can dominate an essentially attacking wide midfielder – Aaron Lennon in this case – and then exploit his lack of defensive ability. Their rise, as predicted by Jack Charlton after the 1994 World Cup, stems from the fact that when 4–4–2 meets 4–4–2, they are the only players on the pitch with space in front of them, as centre-backs pick up centre-forwards and four-man midfields tend to cancel each other out.
In a number of games recently the key contest has been that between full-back and wide attacker. When England won 4-1 in Zagreb, for instance, Fabio Capello's use of Theo Walcott high on the right exposed the defensive shortcomings of the Croatia left-back Danijel Pranjic, and prevented him surging forward to provide an overlap for Ivan Rakitic, the left-sided midfielder, as he cut infield. That Walcott then scored a hat-trick was almost a bonus

The Euro 2008 semi-final was fairly even for 34 minutes, until David Villa was injured. On came Cesc Fábregas, Spain changed shape from 4–1–3–2 to 4–1–4–1, and the two Russian full-backs, Alexander Anyukov and Yuri Zhirkov, who had been getting forward, found themselves with a direct opponent against whom they had to defend. Russia lost their attacking thrust, Spain came to dominate both territory and possession, and ended up winning 3-0.

Manchester United's 0-0 draw away to Internazionale in the Champions League second round last season was achieved, at least in part, because of the way Park Ji-sung negated Maicon as an attacking threat. Similarly in the quarter-final, after Aly Cissokho, Porto's left-back, had repeatedly surged by Cristiano Ronaldo in the 2–2 draw in the first leg at Old Trafford, Sir Alex Ferguson stymied him at the Dragao by deploying Wayne Rooney on the right and Ronaldo at centre-forward.

These are just a few exapmples of skirmishes in wide areas for space

Nonetheless there is no reason to believe that those skirmishes in wide areas will not continue to be a key part of the battle, particularly if the trend for "false nines" – that is, centre-forwards who drop deep, as Francesco Totti did for Roma three seasons ago, Ronaldo and Carlos Tevez did for Manchester United two seasons ago, and Leo Messi did for Barcelona last season – continues.

The question is always where is the space, and two trends have begun to emerge. The first involves the wide forwards. If they are tight against the full-back high up the field, there is no space, but if they drop deeper, whether the full-back follows or not, space is opened on the diagonal in to goal.

In a sense, there is nothing new to that realisation, for it was that space that Italian forwards exploited in il gioco all'Italiano, when it was common for one of the two centre-forwards to operate to the left, being picked up by the opposing right-back, while the left-back was more attacking

But it is intriguing to see it reapplied and reinterpreted, whether by Robinho in Brazil's 4–2–3–1, or by the likes of Ronaldo, Messi and Thierry Henry, all of whom have been prolific in recent seasons. "When forwards attack from wide to inside, they are far more dangerous," Ferguson said last season.

It's funny when I see centre-forwards starting off in the middle against their markers and then going away from goal. Strikers going inside are far more dangerous, I think. When Henry played as a striker, and sometimes when Wayne does, they try to escape and create space by drifting from the centre to wide positions, when that actually makes them less dangerous."

But looking further ahead, there is also another player who has space, and that is one of the centre-backs. A single central striker is marked by one central defender, leaving the other one as a spare man. Of course that is useful defensively, but there is no reason why the extra player should only be useful defensively. After all, when 4–4–2 met 4–4–2 two central defenders picked up two centre-forwards and nobody worried about having additional cover (with the slight caveat that full-backs, without a wide player playing high against them, could drift inside to provide some cover). Why shouldn't that extra defender stride forward into midfield as the likes of Franz Beckenbauer and Ruud Krol once did?

The 3–5–2 formation has fallen into disuse because of the prevalence of single-central-striker formations. With only one forward to mark, two of the centre-backs are left as spare men, which effectively leaves one redundant. With the wing-backs picking up the opposing wide men, that curtails the width of the side playing 3–5–2 and almost certainly gives their opponents' full-backs free reign.

This is an article taken from guardian.co.uk

Last edited:
The sad thing is you rated your own thread 5 stars ?

Very interesting article and was adopted by zonalmarking.net

---------- Post added at 01:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 AM ----------

The sad thing is you rated your own thread 5 stars ?

lol,yeah i found my copying and pasting was top class

Just did it for fun mate as u said im 13 and immature

I like how since the original article was found, you've edited your posts, where as before it was found you claimed you wrote most of it. GOOD WORK OP!

I like how since the original article was found, you've edited your posts, where as before it was found you claimed you wrote most of it. GOOD WORK OP!

mate im not stupid if I claimed it as my own work i would have been found out sooner or later so y should I.......yes I said it was my own work before just to see if u guys would belive it but really i was going to edit it sooner or later anyways

On the plus side i know thw writer in person so y would i go out and steal his work

rwally not sure this thread is needed, the article is 9 months old. and since you dont talk about football manager with it its in the wrong place

mate im not stupid if I claimed it as my own work i would have been found out sooner or later so y should I.......yes I said it was my own work before just to see if u guys would belive it but really i was going to edit it sooner or later anyways

On the plus side i know thw writer in person so y would i go out and steal his work

...You just did?

agree with u on that one i wil delete it and oh yeah i replied to ur post on my left-footed winger thread see it

---------- Post added at 02:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 AM ----------

...You just did?

I was planning to tell u guys anyways and its the writers problem who i just happen to know so im sure he would not have minded it if i tell him

Wait...

You conveniently know a writer from The Guardian newspaper and that just happens to make it ok to steal his/her work ?

Wait...

You conveniently know a writer from The Guardian newspaper and that just happens to make it ok to steal his/her work ?

its a his firstly and secondly i did not steal his work i intended to tell u guys anyway i just wanted to see if u guys would actually believe i had written it before i told u

1.It would be impossible to steal his work as I would have been caught sooner or later

2.I did not intend to steal his work at all

3.If I tell him of my little play-acting Im sure he will not mind as he is close to my godfather

So it's ok to steal as long as I tell someone ?

Police Officer : You are under arrest for theft
Me : Chill out, I was going to tell them.....

And seriously instead of commending my uncle over this amazing article u all are all over me

Even if i did steal the work Its the writers problem not yours

Wait...

Yes, I actually wrote Harry Potter, and let J. K. Rowling release it, because I knew her. Biggest mistake EVER

And seriously instead of commending my uncle over this amazing article u all are all over me

Even if i did steal the work Its the writers problem not yours

Your uncle ? You said he was a friend of your Godfathers ?

Status
Not open for further replies.