The Old Firm 15/2/09

i had season tickets to watch celtic as i used to email match reports for a news service.So i have seen a lot of coming and going.From burns (rip) ,Jensen to strachan i have been there and the difference is clear to see.
I always held the belief that strachan inherited O'neills team.And only won titles because the foundation was already in place.
The quality of players bought into the club are very short of what is needed to succeed outside of the spl and like i said before charlton would give celtic and rangers a very hard match.And now the level of current players is showing up as rangers have caught up.
Hesselink is a very poor player and that's a fact.if he wasn't he'd have been at munich or lyon before ever getting to celtic and the clubs would have never let him go.
The clubs just do not have the power to attract anymore and its a credit to the fans who still roll out in numbers to see both sides of glasgow.
I remind you, in the past 15 years of watching celtic the only player i consider to be head and shoulders above all is henrik larsson.Not just the goal scoring but he was the complete package and could have played anywhere in the world but for £700K chose celtic and showed loyalty.
To come back better from a shattering injury and score over 50 goals in one season (got 50th against rangers at ibrox) showed that this player was something special.
you heard 3 noises at parkhead when henrik got the ball.
1 was the seats hitting back as the whole stadium stood to watch and hold it's breath.
2.the silence as the ball hit the net.
3.the roar of 60,000 people. you only get that moment of silence when a goal is scored and it's done by someone of real quality.

letting miller go was a mistake,he was starting to play well in the hoops before he was sold.Scott brown has never delivered enough goals.
Celtic need a paul lambert type figure in the center of the park and hartley never gets a look in.Hartley maybe older but he sees things on the park and can pass the ball.
Im sure a lot of players join the old firm and then relax on the back of large contracts which they never would have got in england,spain or italy.

Celtic should have got moyles in when they had the chance.his management and style of play would have move celtic forward.
Celtic's biggest problem is that Smith gels players together and makes poor players into a working progress.
Rangers never seem to have really bad days under smith except in the odd old firm match.

Strachan should be replaced but who is out there?
think about it? it's high pressure,win or be dammed.

Last edited:
There are alot of good young managers out there who'd jump at the chance to manage a club the size of Celtic. Mark McGhee is one that I'd be very intrested in if wee Strach left. Maybe it's even time for someone like Paul Lambert to return? Or maybe even a guy like Franciszek Smuda the Lech Poznan manager who i've heard being linked. I know he's 60 but I think he'd be a great calibre of manager to take charge. he's got a good pedigree, and has a great record at his current club. He might even be able to pick us up a few gems from Eastern Europe and take us forward in Scotland and in the Champions League.

after today's outing you have to agree it does look like the players are not trying.hardly an effort of note on goal.
Even mcdonald looked fed up.
The team just do not have that creative midfield to build attacks on.It's all kick up to the strikers and hope something breaks.
Not enough decent crosses goes into the box to supply samaras or hesselink and most through balls are easily read.
It took a bit of skill from Mcdonald to win the kille game.
I'm quite sure the team can play better and work together but i can only see a change in management providing the answers.

Strachan should be sent back to coventry lol

I think the thing that's the most frustrating is that when you see the calibre of players we have we should be doing alot better than we are. I know that player's can have a loss of form and such but I think it can go way deeper than that. If a manager losses the team then he and the team losses direction. The tactics get screwed up cause the team aren't responding to the manager or the instruction that he give's them. When this happens there is one of two things that can happen , either we sell all the player's who are under performing or we sack the manager and bring in someone new with fresh idea's ..... although if it was up to me I'd do both, cause I think we need a new manager and a few new players to freshen things up.

celtic 3-0 rangers

Celtic 3-0
naka, mcdonald,mcmanus

You'll never walk alone

I think the old firm suck but when you think about it theirs only 1 decent team in scotland.

I think rangers are the best team and celtic cant compare to them. Celtic cant win away in europe and rangers seem to do well in europe but walter smith plays not to lose.

Hopefully rangers and celtic win their games so hearts can finish solid 3rd :)

Rangers got knocked out very very early in Europe if I remember. I think qualifying? not to great in Europe IMO.

They got to the final of the uefa cup and theyve got to the quarters of the champions league afew times. Celtic have never won away from home in the champions league so shh! xD (Hearts won away in a qualifier afew years ago lol)

Aye and they did real well against the Hearts chairmans other team this season too.lol. Celtic may not be the best travelling team on the planet but at home they are one of the best. The record they have states this. If you look at both team's in recent history minus this season of course, both team's have done pretty well in the CL by getting through into the latter stages.

I think the old firm suck but when you think about it theirs only 1 decent team in scotland.

I think rangers are the best team and celtic cant compare to them. Celtic cant win away in europe and rangers seem to do well in europe but walter smith plays not to lose.

Hopefully rangers and celtic win their games so hearts can finish solid 3rd :)

Thats one of the most idiotic things ive read on this forum....today

You do realise Celtic have won 3 league titles in a row?

We cant compete in Europe, its virtually impossible, the away record is really bad, but its not terrible, realisticly we havent reallt lost that many games away from hoem we had a chance of winning. However if your gunna look at our away record when sayng how good we are I think you need to look at how good the home record is, we've really overachieved at home.

---

As for tomorrow I say 1-1 then someone winning on Pens

I just hope it's a good game. Both sides have been terrible this season and i think everyone needs this game to be enjoyable.

Thats one of the most idiotic things ive read on this forum....today

You do realise Celtic have won 3 league titles in a row?

We cant compete in Europe, its virtually impossible, the away record is really bad, but its not terrible, realisticly we havent reallt lost that many games away from hoem we had a chance of winning. However if your gunna look at our away record when sayng how good we are I think you need to look at how good the home record is, we've really overachieved at home.

Thats Not really the best of reasons ... Rangers Had the Worst group Last year in the Champions League but we didnt let it get in our way we tried our best and got 3rd so we went into the Uefa and got to the final thts saying something.. Any team can do it! ( we only lost the season last year because all of the European games)

Thats Not really the best of reasons ... Rangers Had the Worst group Last year in the Champions League but we didnt let it get in our way we tried our best and got 3rd so we went into the Uefa and got to the final thts saying something.. Any team can do it! ( we only lost the season last year because all of the European games)

Yeh but would you honestly say theres only one decent team in Scotland and thats Rangers? Theres very little between the two teams atm. We have an ever so slight advantage in that we are Champions already.

They got to the final of the uefa cup and theyve got to the quarters of the champions league afew times. Celtic have never won away from home in the champions league so shh! xD (Hearts won away in a qualifier afew years ago lol)

i think you will find celtic have won away from home in europe.
Lisbon 1967 was a match away from celtic park if i remember correctly.and whatever you say that was for the european cup the very same trophy played for in the champions league so you shh!

but just be honest.it doesnt matter which part of glasgow you support.both are poor on the park and finances mean this will be the way until one of the clubs is sold.the celtic board will never sell to a man city type group of investors and i think murray would sell at the very first offer.
Because of the way things are in football today players will always go to the man utd,liverpool,madrid and barcelonas of the world well before they except playing for the old firm.
4 good matches a season and the rest in front of poor crowds does not cut it.
Just getting into the champions league group stage should be the best they can expect to do,anything else is a bonus.

Last edited:
i think you will find celtic have won away from home in europe.
Lisbon 1967 was a match away from celtic park if i remember correctly.and whatever you say that was for the european cup the very same trophy played for in the champions league so you shh!

Nah I think thats a bt harsh to pick him up on that part of his arguement as its true we have never won away in the CL

lol i couldn't resist it.
anyway there is only one team is scotland.

the thistle. Partick Thistle.