• Replies Replies 254
  • Views Views 16K

Joss

Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/9118602.stm

Wayne Rooney agrees five-year Manchester United deal
_49619952_rooney_fergie.jpg

Rooney's new deal is set to keep him at Old Trafford until at least June 2015

Wayne Rooney has made a shock u-turn and agreed a new five-year contract at Manchester United just days after announcing his intention to leave.

On Wednesday, the 24-year-old striker said concerns over the strength of the club's squad were behind his original decision not to sign a new deal.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson said: "I'm delighted Wayne's agreed to stay."

Rooney stated: "I said on Wednesday the manager's a genius and it's his belief and support that convinced me to stay."

The England international, who will be out for three weeks after injuring his ankle during training on Tuesday, added: "I'm delighted to sign another deal at United. I've spoken to the manager and the owners and they've convinced me this is where I belong.

"I am signing a new deal in the absolute belief that the management, coaching staff, board and owners are totally committed to making sure United maintains its proud winning history - which is the reason I joined the club in the first place.

"I am sure the fans over the last week have felt let down by what they have read and seen.
"But my position was from concern over the future.

"The fans have been brilliant with me since I arrived and it's up to me through my performances to win them over again."

The agreement ends a period of intensive discussions at Old Trafford after Rooney issued a statement in which he revealed that United chief David Gill had not given him the assurance he was seeking about the future squad.

"It's been a difficult week but the intensity of the coverage is what we expect at Manchester United," Ferguson told the club's website.

"Sometimes, when you're in a club, it can be hard to realise just how big it is and it takes something like the events of the last few days to make you understand.

"I think Wayne now understands what a great club Manchester United is.

"I'm pleased he has accepted the challenge to guide the younger players and establish himself as one of United's great players.

"It shows character and belief in what we stand for.

"I'm sure everyone involved with the club will now get behind Wayne and show him the support he needs to produce the performances we know he is capable of."

Rooney's team-mate Rio Ferdinand said on social networking website Twitter: "It was never in doubt in my mind tweeps, Wazza is Man Utd through and through there's no way I could have seen him playing for another club, defo not a Prem club anyway."

Former United midfielder Lou Macari admitted that he was surprised by the news.
He told BBC Radio 5 live: "I didn't see this coming.

It was never in doubt in my mind tweeps, Wazza is Man Utd through and through
Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand on Twitter

"It's going to be difficult for Wayne to get everyone back on board. I don't think it will be as easy as just scoring goals. It's going to take a lot of other things and over a period of time he'll learn to get back on with his football."

United supporter Liam Bradford, who is the assistant editor of the Red News fanzine also told Radio 5 live: "I'm completely flabbergasted.

"It's been one of those weeks. It's been completely mad.

"I don't know whether this has been planned all along and this was just some elaborate mind game that Sir Alex Ferguson was playing with Wayne Rooney on board or whether it has just been completely surreal for the last seven days.

"At the end of the day, he is a world-class footballer and I really wouldn't want to see him anywhere else. I think I'm more relieved that anything he is not going across the city to the team that plays in blue."

Rooney will not return to action for three weeks as he recovers from an ankle injury that sae him carried out of training on Tuesday.

He moved to Old Trafford from Everton in 2004 for £25.6m and has helped the club win three successive Premier League titles from 2007-09. His previous contract was due to expire in the summer of 2012.

In other news....Wayne Rooney is now out for 3 weeks

Last edited:
Quickly United fans, burn all those banners and delete all those posts you've made, because I bet a few of you take it back now.

Thats pathetic if i were a united fan id slate him.... wernt it ust last night he was slating the club and calling them... haha he's pathetic all a ploy for money IMO

I'm not going to say I told you so. ^^)

But... ;)

So what has all this **** about him going to Citeh and SAF saying he would leave been about?

Wonder what the odds are that Gill offered him £250,000+ /week

I don't wanna say called it...

but CALLED IT.

The lad's gone down in my estimation though - it would appear (although it is still early days) that his intention was to get a mega wage increase, and to put the club and the manager through all that in the past week just isn't on, in my opinion.

However, I hope this might be a catalyst for Roo to start bagging some goals and for United to finally hit top form and stop conceding late equalisers.

pathetic,saf is still the man and should put him in the res for 5 years lol

iam happy he is staying but nt happy if he can do what he wants and united dance to his tune,what stops others trying,saf has to stop this beforeit snowballs

Last edited:
Nice way to make united offer him more wages.

He's made SAF look totally powerless imo, just choosing what he's wanting to do.

Rooney 1-0 Sir Alex

Rooney: "In the last couple of days, I’ve talked to the manager and the owners and they’ve convinced me this is where I belong"

"The fans have been brilliant with me since I arrived and it’s up to me through my performances to win them over again"

I’m sure the fans ... have felt let down by what they’ve read and seen. But my position was from concern over the future

Fergie's also said

Sometimes, when you’re in a club, it can be hard to realise just how big it is. I think Wayne now understands

I'm very happy and very sad. I wont love as i used to but he was our key player. Hope he wins everyone back.

He's clearly back tracked because he now realises how wrong he was. Never be the same player, or person, in my eyes

But... ;)

So what has all this **** about him going to Citeh and SAF saying he would leave been about?

Wonder what the odds are that Gill offered him £250,000+ /week

Very high. Either this is an elaborate hoax - so elaborate I think we can safely assume it isn't, quite beside the fact it wouldn't really solve anything - or Wazza's been offered an unrejectable deal.

Although he has done what is best for the club, I'm a little disappointed in Sir Alex. I guess the days of making an example of players are gone

Unless he scores a hattrick against Chelsea pretty soon or somthing, alot of fans are going to think hes a grade A ***....

I hope you like your money Wayne because what youve done is alienate the fans into hating you :D Good player but he and his advisers have made a massive mistake in the way they handled this.

Rooney signs new Man Utd contract

Wayne Rooney makes a shock U-turn and agrees a new five-year contract at Manchester United just days after announcing his intention to leave.

More...

Back