The Palace Project -Setting up a tactic for specific players and circumstances

TheBetterHalf

Patient Moderator
Reaction score
THE PALACE PROJECT

DOWNLOAD LINK FOR THE SAVE

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20378020/START+OF+SEASON.fm

Prologue

In this thread, I will explain my reasoning when playing a long term save in a realistic way, paying attention to details and adjusting the tactic to suit the players and the current circumstances. I will provide screenshots of the players skills and ppms and tell you how and why I have chosen to set them up in a certain manor. It might be that I wont be updating this on a daily basis but at least all posts will be indepth

The actual savefile will be uploaded every now and then as the journey goes along and if someone wants to download it, play it and then make comments on how they would setup the team they are most welcome as long one does not give too many hints on what players to keep etc etc.

Meeting the Staff

When meeting the staff, it´s important to look at the strengths and the weaknesses of the team. With a team like Crystal Palace, having no transfers budget, its perhaps not possible to sign players to strengthen the squad on every single point but none the least, its important to know what to expect from the team

meetthestaff.png

As you see, our staff consider us to have the following……

Strength

High Flair –Us having players that can do the unexpected. Of course, pulling it of is a different story

High Speed – Us having players that can get to the ball first when played into open space or beat an opponent in a one to one situation. Again, the ability to actually benefit from this depends on the players off the ball movement and dribbling skills

Good Height – This does not tell us anything unless looking at the skills of the players in terms of Anticipation, Agility, Strength, Jumping and Heading.

Weaknesses

Poor concentration – This is a really important stat as it effect everything you do, especially late in games

Poor Determination – Again, a crucial stat. If having low determination, it will hinder you from putting in an effort, getting first on the ball, making a comeback in a game

Poor First Touch – This stat is together with agility and anticipation a stat that I find to be very important for Central defenders and Strikers. If having defenders with poor skills here, one will conceded a lot of unnecessary goals inside the box after the ball bouncing of their legs

Poor Fitness – Here, it basically means that we really need to look out for those players that are injury prone, lacking in stamina and natural fitness. It might be that we need more squad depth than others clubs, basically forcing us to sign more players, even if not good

Summary of Expectations:

- Given this knowledge, we can make the following assumption.

We can expect the team to beat any team on any given Sunday as we have both pace and flair

We can also expect to give away a lot of soft goals due to the team lacking in concentration, Determination and First Touch

Why is important to know then ? Well, when constructing and tweaking a tactic as well as praise and giving hairdryers, we have to make sure that we take this into account when analyzing the match stats and outcome of the games just as well as its important to make a tactic that makes us able to play the players where they do most damage whilst still keeping a solid defensive shape making up for our shortcomings

seasonexpectations.png

The Squad

Beneath, you find the squad in 11.3. Apart form these players, we have 2 players in the reserves, Scannel and Hills and whilst they would make an impact on the team, they are injured for the major part of the season.

squadone.png

Preseason Transfers

In preseason, Liverpool made an offer to sign one of my young promising players and whilst I would have liked to keep this player, the money we gained will makes us able to sign at least 4 new players over the coming season

zahatopool.png

By using the Cash to expand our wage budget, we managed to sing 2 players on free transfers. The strong Defensive midfielder Gavin McCann that brings both experience, leadership and strengthens the team defensively and Olivier Kapo that is able to play in most advanced position.

The Tactical Approach

I intend to use the Classic Mode and not the TC and this down to two reasons.
Firstly, I enjoy it more at the moment and secondly, I am going to tweak most of the settings anyway.

As we are a relegation candidate and don’t have a good enough squad for playing to expressive, too wide or too attacking, having players pushing forward at every opportunity, the approach used is going to be much more careful. Apart form actually suiting the squad at hand, I must also take into account that whilst playing defensive, playing in a slower tempo to gain more possession and flood the midfield, we don’t want to sit to deep or play a too narrow formation as this will only see us invite too much pressure. This is something that this team simply wont be able to handle as the team lacks in Concentration and Determination.

The setup I have chosen is to play a Wide 4321, using 3 central midfielders.
By playing more narrow within this formation, it ensured us to be compact in all areas of the field while defending and also makes us able to use most of the pitch when attacking, holding possession in advanced positions. We will also use a tight zonal marking and combined with a high pressing system, the aim is to cut angels and get the ball back as soon as possible without getting dragged out of position too often. Of course, this will happen every once in a while when facing better teams of players superior to our own but in general, I hope that this approach will see us having a defensive stability.

To keep possession better when the opponent sits with men behind the ball, quit a few players will hold up the ball and make fewer t-balls than your average approach. Runs from deep will also be restricted in most matches

Next post: -The Players and how I set them up

Last edited:
Excellent first post, lot’s of detail and very in depth. I’m looking forward to the next update. I’m sure everyone will learn a lot through this.

Rather tempted to do this myself and post my own approach. Might be interesting to see how things differ.

PART TWO - The Players

Here, I will present each and every player in a separate post to make sure that its easier to read. After they have all been presented, I will make a summary of the player choice and the tactical settings. I will take into account the strength and the weaknesses of the players as well as their preferred moves using the following assumptions.

- Here, I am not taking
pitch size, weather or player form into consideration as these are only the default settings for this player and might be tweaked later on to suit the mentioned variables

- The set Mentality of the player in the screenshots is to be looked at in relation to the overall team Mentality and approach, meaning that a player on the lowest mentality might not be set on this exact mentality in all matches but instead, he is to be considered to be one of the more deep dropping in the team

- The preferred player moves means just as much as the settings

Last edited:
Anthony Gardner - CENTRAL DEFENDER

defendergardner.png

This player possess both pace and aerial ability. Its also a player that likes to mark the opponent tightly, just like I ant to setup my tactic. One things that he does lack though is anticipation and positioning and this might cause some trouble ahead.

If micro managing, you can also see that he is extremely left footed and is his ppms, he actually avoids using his weaker foot. This basically means that when getting the ball on his feet inside our own box, his poor anticipation along with a lower than average agility might see him dwell on the ball and give away soft goals if it lands on his right feet, having to turn his body in away that is not only awkward to him due to poor agility but also unnecessary. As his anticipation, the ability to have a pretty good idea where the ball is going to end up, this will happen more frequently than it does to players like Ferdinand and Vidic

Against all formations but single FCs with Incutting wingers supporting them, Its crucial that he is used as the left DC so that he faces players using his left foot. When facing these 41221 teams then, well, then its actually better to play him on the right side so that he can use his best foot to break up the attacks again the central FC and the Incutting wingers. This way, his body will be turned in the correct way so the speak

Default Tactical Settings for Anthony Gardner - Position: Left DC

gardner2.png

Not much to add here really. He is used as a more limited defender but as I want him to keep things simple, I want him to get the ball forward more quickly rather than player a short pass to the fullback, risking to actually get the ball back to him. His passing game is set to a more direct approach for one more reason, and its because I don’t want my fullbacks to have the ball too often when under pressure.

Last edited:
good interesting read and will be helpful for people with teams and players of similar attributes aswell as a incite in how to create tactics

PADDY McCARTHY – CENTRAL DEFENDER

( and Adam Barret, as they are rather similair)

paddyb.png

Here we have a player that is slightly more intelligent then the previous one. He is better in reading the game and to position him self, ready to break up attacks. In the down side, he is pretty slow and against a pacey striker, he groves roots. Because of this, I don’t want him to close down to early put instead stand off a bit more, awaiting the right moment using his anticipation. He also have a very high bravery stat and whilst this might be good as a last man getting in front of the ball and cut angels, hindering shots with his face, it can also backfire if played in an too advanced defensive position as there, he don’t have to be that brave in terms of risk and reward.

paddy2.png

Like stated above, he is to stand off more and as he often will be the last man when getting the ball, I want him to play even more direct only this time, instantly and without making crosses. Here, he is allowed to play a direct ball onto the nearest fullback even if most of his passes will be to one of the central mids.

Last edited:
DAVID WRIGHT & NATHANIEL CLYNE – RIGHT FULLBACKS

wrightc.png

clyne.png

Here we have 2 players that do need to be played rather different

Firstly, lets look at Wright. He is not more than average in any of the attacking skills of a fullback. Hes got strength though and here, we have an opportunity do slow down the play and keep possession better by giving him Hold up ball. When we do this, we don’t want him to actually just stand still with it but instead, he is given runs with ball set to mixed but as, like written above, possesses no attacking skills, he should not join the attacks

Clyne on the other hand is really fast and without being great at it, he knows how to dribble. The key here is the ppms though. He likes to get forward and most importantly, he knocks the ball past the opponent. To benefit form this, he should under no circumstances hold on to the ball but instead, we let him make runs from deep with or without the ball and make him cross form byline. As we have a DC covering for him, standing off more, we cant give him a too attacking mentality as he simply wont track back then, leaving us with a gap in defence on the right side with the DC standing off more so his mentality will still be the same as when playing Wright.

In short. When playing away to a top team, I will probably chose Wright, just like I will prefer Clyne home in the cup against Orient

rightfullback.png

Last edited:
Really interesting read, I will keep up with this TBH :)

LEFT FULLBACK – THE WEAK LINK

Here, we actually only have one natural player and even though natural player in terms of position he is not up for the job at all a he is more of an wingback in a 532 or a winger in a 41221. He ism, indeed, a security risk, especially if faced against wingforwards/inside forwards.
As you see in his stats, he cant mark a player and he cant take a good defensive position and at this level, its not good enough. The best way to play him is simply not to:D

Here, we are probably forced to use one of our DCs, Barrett and he will be played in the same way as the more cautious DR Wright. This is unless we manage to get a loan player in for the rest of the season

moxey.png

May also be an idea to transfer list the player? Not all sides have the funds to support a player on 6k a week that will not be first choice.

May also be an idea to transfer list the player? Not all sides have the funds to support a player on 6k a week that will not be first choice.

Hence the "not to" remark.
After the player presentation, I am posting something labeled called " Saving money by getting ride of overpaid deadwood players" :D

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

ABOUT THE CENTRAL MIDFIELD

Regardless of players, every team needs balance through out it. Not only concerning defensive and attacking quality but also in terms of players given these roles. The most important strata of play I the midfield as it both helps out in defence but acts as a transition phase and adds supports to the attackers. Even if having 4 complete Midfielders, being able to both track back and break up attacks as setup attacks, in the end being at the end of the move, some players have to sit deeper and make runs from deep from just…well..deep.

This season I have, as mentioned before, chose to use a 3 men midfield, working behind 2 advanced wingers and a lone striker. Here, my absolute favourite settings is using the following

One Advanced Ballwinner holding the ground, One deep dropping and Creative player making runs from deep, always looking for space and finally, one more attacking minded player, also looking for space from deep, making those vital t-balls.

In terms of playertypes, this means that the BALLWINNER should be strong with good tackling. He needs to be able not only get retieve the ball bit also to hold on to it until his partners get upfield.

The other 2 players are of similair typer and if having complete players, I like to make them swap position. With Palace, this wont be happening as they have different strengths and different weaknesses , hence needing different settings. None the less, the roles will still have to be put up in a way to make the tactic balanced and I cant make step away to much from my original thought

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

The Central Midfielders – The Creative Mids moving forward

OWEN GARVAN- CENTRAL MID

agarvan.png

This player likes to come deep and get the ball. He plays a simple passing game and therefore, he is more suited for the deep coming and creative player. The key here is not to limit him too much which is why I give him mixed in all settings along with a free role

SETTINGS DEEPLYING MC MOVING FORWARD

deepmc.png

NEXT PLAYER

ANDY DORMAN - CENTRAL MID

adorman.png

Here, we have a player that is better suited for the more advanced attacking role. He is both creative and got off the ball. As he also has the ppms to get forward regardless of position. If played in a more deep dropping role, he will do so late in attacks and would suit the role above as well but initially, he will play here

SETTINGS ADVANCED MC MOVING FORWARD

advancedmc.png

NEXT PLAYER

NEIL DANNS - CENTRAL MID

adanns.png

This player is one that can play each and every role of the 3 in midfield, even the ball winning one. As he is less creative of the 3 found in this post, I would restrict his creative freedom since he wont come up for a lot of options or ideas anyway. This player is perhaps bets used in the more attacking role as he can dribble and finish.
The only tweak I would make here is as said to lower his creative freedom due to the poorer creative freedom and his decision stat

NEXT PLAYER

ALEX MARROW - CENTRAL MID

amarrow.png

Here, we have a player that looks like he would suit the ball winning role. But as I want my ball winner to stay back at all times, his ppm is a very conflicting one leading to that he simply cant be used in this position. In matches where I want to use a box2box midfielder, or if not having my favourite ball winner fit enough, he will play this part really good though. One thing one has to have to look closely at is his other ppm, where her likes to dive into tackles. Having this ppm combined with not being all that good in reading the game, having less than average skills in positioning, anticipation and decision, its very likely that he will dive into these tackles not only on the wrong occasion/area, but also when misjudging the situation and/or coming in late after having failed to keep up with the movement of the opposition. This is why I let him stand off more and use easy tackling, especially if the upcoming game has a harsh ref.

Here we also have a good opportunity to let him hold up the ball as he is good enough at it at this level

amarrow2.png

Last edited:
I just came.

OMG thanks BetterHalf this is AMAZING :wub:

A fellow Palace player, eh? I urge you to use Marrow. I didn't rate him at all at first but out of that original Palace team, now I'm a good Premiership side, Marrow is one of 2 players to have made it at that level. He must have hidden stats or something. Excellent player.

Zaha didn't make it... Stormed the Championship but at Premiership just stopped developing... On loan atm and not developing at all. Gutted me because he was the one player I had high hopes for but Marrow has totally surpassed him. Definitely stick him in your first team. Clyne makes it too (obviously). Speroni too but then he gets old. Scannell is good sub AMR in my game. A bit of a supersub.

Be interesting to see how you get on with your 4-3-2-1. I just went for attacking 4-4-2 with Zaha and Vaughan and they were pretty awesome little and large combo. Good luck.

A fellow Palace player, eh? I urge you to use Marrow. I didn't rate him at all at first but out of that original Palace team, now I'm a good Premiership side, Marrow is one of 2 players to have made it at that level. He must have hidden stats or something. Excellent player.

Zaha didn't make it... Stormed the Championship but at Premiership just stopped developing... On loan atm and not developing at all. Gutted me because he was the one player I had high hopes for but Marrow has totally surpassed him. Definitely stick him in your first team. Clyne makes it too (obviously). Speroni too but then he gets old. Scannell is good sub AMR in my game. A bit of a supersub.

Be interesting to see how you get on with your 4-3-2-1. I just went for attacking 4-4-2 with Zaha and Vaughan and they were pretty awesome little and large combo. Good luck.

Sounds good. In the future though, please dont post how well players do and how good they will become as its kind of spoils the pleassure.

I'm a palace player - i've been sending teams to the prem for a month now, and testing all sorts of things to see what goes on... Happy to contribute my findings down the line. For now i'm content to lap up this info - cheers BH

I actually forgot to cut and paste the text about Alex Marrow in to my previous post. Its been edited now and his to be found with the other central mids

i waiting for the rest players instruction and other staff.

THE BALLWINNING MIDS

GAVIN McCANN - BALL WINNER

amccann.png

Apart form the Lone Forward, this is the most important player and role of the team. His job is to break up attacks high up in the field and hold on to the ball until he can make a pass to a team mate that he sought and found free space. As you see, he is a real team player that will put in the effort in each and every game. As he still has great physics and really good natural fitness, I can rely on him playing the major part on the matches through out the season.

As he is intelligent and able to read the game, combined with the fact that I want him to be the guard of the frontline area in midfield, I let him have loose zonal marking along with playing a very high pressing game. This ensures me that he will focus on breaking up attacks rather than marking players and cutting angels. If his anticipation and positioning had been low, then he would probably not have succeeded in doing this

As said before, I want this player to hold the ground, not making any runs form deep. Instead, he stay behind and collect the 2nd balls and clearances. Most of the times, he will use a short passing game due to his ppm but when collecting this clearances, I want him to hit a direct ball onto a winger or advanced MC and this is why his passing is set to direct

amccann2.png

Next Player

ALASSANE N´DIAYE- BALL WINNNER

adnyia.png

This is also a player that likes to dwell on the ball. Whether or not he should hold up the ball at all times is just a matter of taste but as he is positioned higher up in the pitch to mark their more deep dropping and less mobile MC, perhaps he should just make a short and quick pass instead onto the feet of one of the MCs running forward. Otherwise, holding on to the ball higher up in the pitch, he might be attacked from both a DMC/ MCd and the MCa and loose the ball as other team mates gets forward, making us vunerable of a counter attack

numme2.png