The Palace Project -Setting up a tactic for specific players and circumstances

CRYSTAL PALACENORWICH

norwich.png

This tells us the following

The Play a narrow Diamond

They hit direct balls into channels down the flanks, either for their Forwards to run onto or to their feet after having positioned themselves wide.

They possess no aerial threat

foxzw.png

Basically, he not a brave man( 9), we might ****** the ball from him if going in hard. As he has just come back from being out for 4 month, he might be more cautious, not wanting to get injured again.

norwichref.png

The Ref is lenient

Knowing this, I will use the following strategy

- Play down the flanks to be able to drag their Central players out of position
- Let our fullbacks stay behind at all times
- Play a slightly deeper d-line to make sure that we are in the right side of their forwards moving into channels

- Tight marking in Midfield in our settings and use the OIs to close down their midfielders at all times, giving them less time on the ball to hit these direct t-balls into channels

- Use 2 Ballwinners in midfield

- Tackle Hard as the ref is lenient

norwich2.png

Last edited:
This is brilliant. I am loving the articles you write.

Keep going.

I am with Nick, this is terrific, what you are doing with the mighty Palace is excellent.
I'm sure other people will be inspired by this Project and I hope others follow your suit TBH.

This really makes for great reading TBH, very very well done.

Thank you all for the kind words. I am away at the moment on a sales conference and wont be able to update the thread but please continue with the praise :)

If you have any questions regarding the topic, dont hesitate to ask as its only FM/My comp I am away from, not the forum or my iphone.

Last edited:
I've tried your Setting for the Quick Poacher role, only your Setting for the Quick Poacher role but hey it works to my striker and give a balance to my team. Congrats and you deserve the credit!

How would you have tweaked the tactic and approached this away game ?

This game has already been played ( after taking the screenshots) and I made my decision on how to approach the Cardiff game given the following information and assumptions on who their key players are ( little bit of spoon feeding here, or a lot rather). Now I am wondering how do you htink that I approached it or how would you do it

Any specific OIs and why ? Any change on the marking system. Focus play etc ?

cardofflague.png

cardiffd.png

cardiffbothroyd.png

cardiffwhitt.png

Last edited:
Id do this but it's probably wrong because i aint that gd at the tactical side. Well id use a 4-4-1-1 higher defensive line so i dont give there powerful strikers time to bring down the ball an push past the defender an use defensive fullbacks to stop there technical wingers skinning them easily and closing down there midfield so they cant play many high balls and use an att mid to collect the ball in the hole and play it through to vaugahn who has alot of pace to terrarise there slow defenders and id use defesive wingers to help out the fullbacks as well as supplying a wide outlet when players find themselves into trouble an also providing a crossin threat. id try and play the ball on the ground so im not helping them at keeping the ball in the air and i tight mark bothroyd and probably close down wittingham to stop his crossing threat. what you think TBH?

Id do this but it's probably wrong because i aint that gd at the tactical side. Well id use a 4-4-1-1 higher defensive line so i dont give there powerful strikers time to bring down the ball an push past the defender an use defensive fullbacks to stop there technical wingers skinning them easily and closing down there midfield so they cant play many high balls and use an att mid to collect the ball in the hole and play it through to vaugahn who has alot of pace to terrarise there slow defenders and id use defesive wingers to help out the fullbacks as well as supplying a wide outlet when players find themselves into trouble an also providing a crossin threat. id try and play the ball on the ground so im not helping them at keeping the ball in the air and i tight mark bothroyd and probably close down wittingham to stop his crossing threat. what you think TBH?

Sounds good although i only make changes to the approach within the formation.

Anyway, this is what I did.

As these 2 players are considered the dangermen by me ( and the assman), I wanted not only to cut off the supply to Bothroyd but also disturb him when he got the ball.

- As whittingham are left footed only, I used my AMR to tight manmark him and show him inside, always closing down in the OIs
- As Bothroyd needs constant marking, I put a man on him but as he comes deep to get the ball, i wanted to make sure that he was not picked up by my DC. So, I dropped the mentality of my Central MC and made him man mark him, using hard tackling. I also let my 2 dcs stand off more.

This way, I hoped for a 0-0 or by snatching a win on a set piece using attacking set pieces in the Match prep"

Result ?,I won 1-0 after a freekick, Whittingham making no complete crosses and Bothroyd wining no headers at all :D

Last edited:

Half way through the season - Change of strategy

Initially, I chose a wide 4321 because i wanted to flood the midfield and play cautious. Whilst this has got me really good results, we are simply not good enough to break down teams equal to us when they sit deep and defend as well. Why is this suddenly of importance then ? . Well, as we have overachieved, teams are now starting to see us as a bigger threat than the did at the start of the season. Teams like Boro and Leicester are now sitting deep, playing a quick counter attack football at home and when playing away to us, they play a slow and probing possession approach within a cautious formation, flooding the midfield, just like we did :D

By no means was I to change the style of the play radically but I felt that a change in formation was in place so I simply used the more attacking minded MC and put him in the AMC position and as we are now using a AMC, I had to raise the mentality of the Striker so that the 2 players would not sit in each others lap.

In short, we are now threatening the opposition higher up in the field rather than dragging them on to us. We are also having to consider the wide play of the wingers as the space in the hole isn't free anymore, having a AMC there.

Last edited:

FINAL UPDATE OF THE SEASON

THE ACTUALL OUTCOME OF THE APPROACH

wembley.png

finalleguaetbale.png

great thread this! Nice look at how to create a tactic to suit your team and how to adjust it to match different opposition.

Congrats! Brilliant thread this needs to be updated soon. I learned a lot more about tactics from this read.

I wish there was a way to save specific instructions per player so when you subbed them in you could just click something instead of manually changing.

I rly like this idea, your amazing better half!

Thanks !

Congrats! Brilliant thread this needs to be updated soon. I learned a lot more about tactics from this read.

I wish there was a way to save specific instructions per player so when you subbed them in you could just click something instead of manually changing.

This thread wont be updated anymore since I have finished the project. I have only let it stay open as I was expecting some questions on how one could approach player X in a y formation etc, leading to a discussion

Actually, I think there is a way when using the Classic mode. A user at SI made it so that the roles in the Classic mode could be altered and then saved ( calling them Suarez,gerrard etc). If SI had not been down, I could have linked to it.

But... I actually find this approach more rewarding. If having their roles set, it would be like " If facing team X, the push button 3 ". Now, it feels like I am actually telling the player to act in a certain manor and when it works, I feel I am rewarded for it as a tinkerman rather than a chessplayer.

great thread this! Nice look at how to create a tactic to suit your team and how to adjust it to match different opposition.

Thanks

I might open a new thread or use this one for a new team. If aneone has an opinion on what team to use( along with telling me why), then just shout

I downloaded your saved game, so I played with Cardiff but it wasnt a succes Ive lost alot of games, I rly hoped I had same succes as you did but I failed argh :(

I havent found any good tactic for v3.0 yet.