The Palace Project -Setting up a tactic for specific players and circumstances

Try Blackpool maybe to see how to set up and play effective, even if not always flashy, football and get results. See how to nullify the opposing team when they have many better quality players.
:)

I downloaded your saved game, so I played with Cardiff but it wasnt a succes Ive lost alot of games, I rly hoped I had same succes as you did but I failed argh :(

I havent found any good tactic for v3.0 yet.

Confused here oO) You downloaded my save and took control of Cardiff ? and then, what tactic did you use. Surely not the one suited for the Palace players I hope.

Great thread. But how do I get FM to memorize the specific settings for each player, so that I don't need to do them again everytime I make a sub

Great thread. But how do I get FM to memorize the specific settings for each player, so that I don't need to do them again everytime I make a sub

I was also wondering if something like this was possible, it's the only thing stopping me from giving it a try. If it's not there then it's something that could be put into a future game.

So after 2 successive promotions with Dover AFC using a simple plug in and play tactic I started to come a cropper in my first season in League 2. I decided to take on your philosophy of playing with a team that to be honest lacks a solid centre back and solid right back. I signed a few players in the January Market to bolster the ranks and sorted out a decent training regime. Anyway results have spoken for themselves since in 8 games 5W 1D 2L. The 2 losses were away to teams that were both fighting for play off places. I was just wondering how you would utilise a Linkman into a team and how I could combat stronger teams away from home? I was thinking slowing the tempo and going narrower maybe looking to play counter attack?

Thanks !

This thread wont be updated anymore since I have finished the project. I have only let it stay open as I was expecting some questions on how one could approach player X in a y formation etc, leading to a discussion

Actually, I think there is a way when using the Classic mode. A user at SI made it so that the roles in the Classic mode could be altered and then saved ( calling them Suarez,gerrard etc). If SI had not been down, I could have linked to it.

But... I actually find this approach more rewarding. If having their roles set, it would be like " If facing team X, the push button 3 ". Now, it feels like I am actually telling the player to act in a certain manor and when it works, I feel I am rewarded for it as a tinkerman rather than a chessplayer.

Thanks

I was also wondering if something like this was possible, it's the only thing stopping me from giving it a try. If it's not there then it's something that could be put into a future game.

I'd like to see this approach attempted with a team like Dortmund, they are certainly not considered a major threat in the Bundesliga, (media prediction 7th) and as we've seen this year they've stormed to the title with a massively young team. They have no transfer budget, so the sell-to-buy approach would be needed. They've got the talent for sure but as with most youngsters the mentality isn't always there.

I realise it is a bit of a step up from Palace but the difference in what the game believes they are capable of and what they actually managed would make it interesting.

I'd like to see this approach attempted with a team like Dortmund, they are certainly not considered a major threat in the Bundesliga, (media prediction 7th) and as we've seen this year they've stormed to the title with a massively young team. They have no transfer budget, so the sell-to-buy approach would be needed. They've got the talent for sure but as with most youngsters the mentality isn't always there.

I realise it is a bit of a step up from Palace but the difference in what the game believes they are capable of and what they actually managed would make it interesting.

I am not that keen on playing with a top team. In my opinion, it makes it far too easy

Try Blackpool maybe to see how to set up and play effective, even if not always flashy, football and get results. See how to nullify the opposing team when they have many better quality players.
:)

Blackpool is a team I am considering

I gave this a boot with Roma. Yes, a big side, predicted third, but I used an update. we had no money and severely lacking funds and depth. I'm in first after 27 games with only two losses.

This is a brilliant way and far more fun to implement players. I do wish SI was up so I could find how to save my roles tho hah.

I gave this a boot with Roma. Yes, a big side, predicted third, but I used an update. we had no money and severely lacking funds and depth. I'm in first after 27 games with only two losses.

This is a brilliant way and far more fun to implement players. I do wish SI was up so I could find how to save my roles tho hah.

Thats great. The fun part about FM is that it can be played and enjoyed in some many different ways and for me, this is the appraoch that has been the most rewarding. Its also a really good way to learn how the ME works.

If you like, feel free to post your thoughts about Roma in this thread, presenting it just like I did with my Palace team. Perhaps write a bit about the general approach and why you chose it and then some of the player instructions and your reasoning behind their settings.

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

...and that goes for you to Kris :D

Well, I chose Roma because I have been struggling to find an Italian team to support. Being a big Barca supporter, our recent ties with them has pushed me there.

I didn't have to make any sales, and I had Menez going to Barca for 20m..before he rejected the terms like a jerk! But he's been instrumental, and getting the best out of Totti has this team going.

I'm in 1st after 34,7 clear, the coppa semis, and the europa league Semis.

Totti is out for 3 weeks though, and Holzhauser needs to step up, at a young 17 years old.

Well, I chose Roma because I have been struggling to find an Italian team to support. Being a big Barca supporter, our recent ties with them has pushed me there.

I didn't have to make any sales, and I had Menez going to Barca for 20m..before he rejected the terms like a jerk! But he's been instrumental, and getting the best out of Totti has this team going.

I'm in 1st after 34,7 clear, the coppa semis, and the europa league Semis.

Totti is out for 3 weeks though, and Holzhauser needs to step up, at a young 17 years old.

Would you like to post some more information as how you have setup the team, the strategy, perhaps the Menez and Totti roles. The more info the better as I think people can learn from it.
Cheers

Well, like you, I'm going with the Classic roles. I struggle to find good roles and classic seems to be the best.

Totti differs on the game and how long I need him. I always take him out up 2, or up 1 if its after the 60th. I make him a 1/4 and play him AMC.

Menez is on the left, cutting inside and dribbling and run from deep on high. My team in general is high creativity, zonal, high press, high defensive line, short, slow, narrow team. I just won the Europa 3-0.

Borriello has been a revelation he's scored 39 in 38 for me. :) I hope to give more details later :D