The Parma Resurrection

Reaction score
View attachment 1081144

Club statement:

The board at Parma Calcio 1913 is sad to announce the departure of manager Luigi Apolloni, who leaves us after one year in charge of the club and a promotion from the Serie D to the Serie C. We thank him for his achievements with the club and will inform the fans of our decision regarding our new manager for the season.

View attachment 1081147
Parma announce departure of manager Luigi Apolloni: who will succeed him?

View attachment 124932
The Italian club had an amazing campaign last season in the Serie D, finishing in first place without losing a single of their 38 games and getting promoted to the Serie C as a result. As the club attempts to make their way back to top flight football, they will need to find someone else to do the job as the manager who led them to that amazing season last year has decided that his future didn't belong at Parma. At the Gazzetta dello Sport we have made a list of the potential managers to replace Apolloni along with odds as to how likely they are of becoming the next first team manager.

1. Hernan Crespo: Even

View attachment 124931

Club legend Hernan Crespo is the most likely man to become Parma's new manager according to us as he was sacked by Modena back in March of this year and has been on the lookout for a new job ever since. With Crespo being such an important figure at the club, he will without a doubt want to take over at Parma and get them back to the top where they belong.

2. Fabio Cannavaro: 15-1

View attachment 124930

Another club legend but this time, he's taken! Currently the manager of Tianjin Quanjian in the Chinese second division where he's actually doing very well, it's less likely that the 2006 Ballon D'Or winner joins his former club. Having been in China since June, it'd be a bit odd for him to just leave that job and come back to Italy although it would make sense for him considering he's said it would be a dream for him to manage Napoli and the Italian national team. Yes Napoli isn't Parma but the club he played 212 league games for would be a good start.

3. Lilian Thuram: 2000-1

View attachment 124929

Yet another club legend who would probably jump at the opportunity of managing his former club but with no previous managerial experience and no seeming desire to start a managerial career, we think that the Frenchman is the least likely to go and manage Parma.

There you have it, a list with our top picks for Parma's future manager. With the club having issued their statement on the 5th of July 2016, we should expect an announcement in the next week or so regarding Apolloni's replacement.

View attachment 124920

Cannavaro's back in Parma!

View attachment 124919

Fourteen years after leaving the Italian club, the 2006 Ballon D'Or winner has now come back to manage the former Serie A side! Parma fans around Italy have said they're delighted that Cannavaro chose Parma for his managerial career and hope that he can bring a lot of success and bring them back to the Serie A where they were just 2 years ago. Cannavaro leaves the Chinese League One where he's been for about a month now and comes back to his home country

"I'm extremely excited to come back in my home country. I stayed just a month in China but it was an amazing experience and something that I'm proud to have on my CV. Parma have always been close to my heart and I can't wait to get right into it. Being in Serie C definitely motivates me to work hard here and get Parma back in the Serie A where we belong and I really hope this is something that I can achieve here."

Cannavaro sure seems keen on getting started with Parma as they get ready for their first friendly game against Club Brugge of Belgium which will be their toughest fixture by far before they open their Serie C campaign against Venezia on the 27th of August. For Parma fans though, there's definitely a lot to be excited about for the next couple of months!

View attachment 124641

Parma survive tough match against Brugge for Cannavaro's first game in charge

View attachment 124640
View attachment 124639

It was a game to remember for Parma fans as they watched their team put in a fantastic defensive performance against a much stronger Brugge side who could only score 1 goal from their 28 shots. It's a great point for Cannavaro and his side who definitely impressed in this first friendly of the season for the Italian side and it should give the fans and the players confidence ahead of the next few games this season. In other news, Sgrigna made his debut for the club after coming in on a free a couple of days ago but didn't have the best of games in a match where not that many Parma players played very well anyway, at least from an attacking point of view:

View attachment 124638
Finally, it's bad news for I Crociati as their injury crisis continues with Francesco Corapi becoming the third Parma player in a month to be on the sidelines on the long term, with the 30-year old out for as long as 3 weeks.

View attachment 124636
Following their solid performance in defence, here's what manager Cannavaro had to say about the game:

"It was a very good game in my opinion, we went into it knowing we were facing a side who play regular European football and they were going to get a lot of shots on goal but we defended really well which is something that I'm a player I had a good reputation for hahaha so I'm very happy with how we did on that front. Offensively we were weaker but I think that was mostly due to the quality of the opposition so a draw is a great result for us and I'm excited to see how we'll do in the next few matches."

View attachment 124632

What to expect this season with Cannavaro:

View attachment 124631
After our first game against Brugge, we saw a little bit of how we could play for the whole of this season under Cannavaro. Back when he played for us, we were incredible in defence so obviously he knows how to defend, which means we should expect to be really solid defensively. In terms of the formation that we used against Brugge, it was nothing fancy but still somehow worked against a team that was so much better than us.

View attachment 124630
No specific roles and no fancy instructions, that's the way to go in my opinion. It worked well against Brugge so I don't see why it shouldn't work well against Serie C teams considering how much weaker they will be. Still though, hopefully Cannavaro will play around with the team a bit to give us the best chance of succeeding this season and hopefully get into the Serie B. In terms of our fixtures for the pre-season, it's looking less intense now and hopefully a couple of good results will give the players confidence ahead of the start of the season in Serie C.

View attachment 124627
Those couple of games should honestly be fine and we should be able to win them all, although the game against Chievo might be a bit tough because they're in the Serie A but we're still in with a chance of doing well. We'll come back with a report on all these pre-season games after the Monopoli match and hopefully by then we'll feel extremely confident about our first league game against Venezia.

daje Parmaaaaaaaa!!!! come on Parmaaaaaaa!! we want u!!!

I would have went with Hernan, but I'm sure Cannavaro will do ;D

Good luck man, looks like it'll be a really interesting challenge. Do they have much of youth setup left?

I would have went with Hernan, but I'm sure Cannavaro will do ;D

Good luck man, looks like it'll be a really interesting challenge. Do they have much of youth setup left?
From what I've seen so far, the squad is really old and the youth facilities are really average so that's definitely something I'm going to have to try and improve over the next few seasons!

I will be following this, good luck.

I didn't realise FM-Base had this section on the site, i was getting fed up of people starting the story and stopping after 10 mins on other sites.

I will be following this, good luck.

I didn't realise FM-Base had this section on the site, i was getting fed up of people starting the story and stopping after 10 mins on other sites.
Cheers mate, really happy to see this kind of support already! :)

are u gonna look to invest in youth bro?hows it looking in terms of italian wonderkids this year?

are u gonna look to invest in youth bro?hows it looking in terms of italian wonderkids this year?
I've not seen any wonder kid lists so far so I'm not too sure to be honest but yes I'll definitely look into investing in youth players. Last year in my King of Rome story I found some incredible regens so I'd definitely want to be able to do the same this year :)

View attachment 124274
Parma finish pre-season with 2 wins from 5

View attachment 124273
View attachment 124272

After what seemed to be a pretty bad start to their pre-season, Parma have finished it with 2 wins from their last 2 games and seem ready for their Lega Pro Girone B start in exactly a week. Their most impressive display was definitely their game against Brugge but the fans have said that they were most impressed with the 4-1 win over Santarcangelo on the 14th of August simply due to the fact that it showed their impressive talent up front, most notably loanee Lamin Jallow, who's at Parma from Chievo Verona until the end of the season.

View attachment 124269
Parma's worst performance for sure as they faced Chievo Verona in what was their first encounter against a Serie A side since getting relegated to the Serie D about 2 years ago. Understandably, they were dominated and lost quite heavily but Cannavaro did say after the match that he never expected a win against a side as strong as Chievo.

View attachment 124268
Then came a game where Parma were using a new formation that just didn't seem to work. Big domination in terms of possession and shots but the finishing just wasn't there at all and it got them into all sorts of trouble at the back having to make sure they didn't concede otherwise it would have just been humiliation for them. That made it still just one goal in 3 games for Parma in what was a pretty disappointing run for Cannavaro's side.

View attachment 124267
Parma's first hat-trick of the season came through their loanee Jallow who was absolutely fantastic in this 4-1 away win for Cannavaro's men in what was a really convincing victory that got the fans all very happy and excited for future matches considering how impressive they were in the final third. Now standing in 1st place in their Coppa Italia Lega Pro group, they look like they're very likely to qualify for the First Round of the competition and maybe go on and win it.

View attachment 124264
Their final game of the pre-season was against a brave Monopoli side who looked like they almost could have gotten a draw or a victory against Parma but it wasn't meant to happen. The latter win the game with a goal in the 82nd minute making it 2 wins from their last 2 games as they prepare now to face Venezia for their first league game of the season. Parma are predicted to finish in the promotion spots to the Serie B but will they actually make it there under club legend Fabio Cannavaro? Their progress this season will definitely be one to follow for any football fans around the world. Unfortunately though, it's not going to be that easy considering the huge injury crisis they've suffered already so far in this pre-season:

View attachment 124263
View attachment 124262
View attachment 124261
View attachment 124260
With 5 players currently still injured, Cannavaro will have to completely rethink what team he'd like to put out for their first league game of the season and it could be a huge struggle as some of the players who got injured were key to Parma's successful last two games of their pre-season. Will the Italian legend lead Parma back to the top? To do that, will he manage a first league win in their first league game? The answer to that last question will come next week!

Unlucky with those injuries. Story is going great though mate. Very interesting although I was hoping Thuram was going to get the job lol

Back