The Premier League Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10K
  • Views Views 689K
Get in Kane lad! F off Lukaku!

'Spurs been fantastic even accounting for Leicester sacking it off. Same City since Pep has had a settled backline.

Utd and Arsenal got some serious work to do to catch back up the top 4.

Work to do I'd agree, but I think the gap isn't that big because Liverpool/Chelsea in particular need to do serious investment themselvesinto their squad if they want to maintain a challenge both domestically and European level, it's a whole different challenge when you have more than two main priorities in a season to face.

Then Spurs at a different ground... as you mentioned and City's ageing squad won't find it easy.

United already have a big squad obviously so that will help and Arsenal do somewhat but to a lesser extent.

'Spurs been fantastic even accounting for Leicester sacking it off. Same City since Pep has had a settled backline.

This post is a mess. lol.

Well for Arsenal the top four arent exactly that far off. Only reason why they aren't third at the moment were the couple away games were they played unusually badly like Palace.

Next season Spurs will play at Wembley and are unlikely to carry on their home form over there and Chelsea with european action will make things interesting.

Work to do I'd agree, but I think the gap isn't that big because Liverpool/Chelsea in particular need to do serious investment themselvesinto their squad if they want to maintain a challenge both domestically and European level, it's a whole different challenge when you have more than two main priorities in a season to face.

Then Spurs at a different ground... as you mentioned and City's ageing squad won't find it easy.

United already have a big squad obviously so that will help and Arsenal do somewhat but to a lesser extent.

Your manager is as big a hindrance as any of your players. Next Wednesday is the key to most everything at Utd.

L'pool and Chelsea do have work to do on their depth no question. Their respective first XI's is as strong as anything else out there. But speaking personally, to finish on 76 points whilst missing Coutinho and Lallana for a couple of months a piece, Mane for the whole of January and the last 11 games the season, Henderson for three quarters the season, and Matip and Lovren for large spells each (16 games, only the 1 loss when they've played together) ..... if Klopp can get that out of that group, heck knows what he'd get with better quality depth to rotate with.

Pep's really starting to show at City the past few months. The worst thing that could of happened is for City to struggle this year. He'll of learnt a heck of a lot. They recruit well, it's a frightening prospect.

Arsenal be Arsenal. And yeah, Wembley is the big ? over Tottenham. But they're the most complete squad by a Country mile this league here and now.

But there's a full summer to go yet.

Y
And yeah, Wembley is the big ? over Tottenham. But they're the most complete squad by a Country mile this league here and now.

I'd have to disagree, they are the most complete starting 11, but squad no. As soon as they have a few injuries in key positions they are in trouble. Any of their key players gets injuried and their squad replacements are significantly weaker.

Luckily for Spurs they haven't really had much significant injuries to deal with this season, I know Kane was injured at start of season for a month or two, but since then played virtually every game.

Golden Boot Tuesday

Lukaku / 24
Kane / 22

Golden Boot Sunday

Kane / 29
Lukaku / 25

not a bad week for Harry so far....

So I was thinking about this today, and I really can't see any proposed signings changing my view between now and a week Sat'day.

I like the new format, but I'mma add the European places for no other reason than they're on my mind.

I'll preface this by saying ANYONE who get's in the top 4, let alone wins the league this year, will of had a marvellous season and totally earn't that spot. If we say the traditional big 4 (Arsenal, L'pool, Utd and Tottenham) is now a 6 with the additions of Chelsea and City, that's at least 2 major clubs missing out. Securing a Champions League slot will be as hard as it's every been and in truth you could guess at the top 4 a multitude of different ways and make a real strong case for each one.

That said, here's my prediction for the 2016-17 Premier League:

1) Liverpool.
-------------------------
2) Tottenham.
3) Manchester City.
4) Manchester United.
5). Arsenal.

As the League Cup/ FA Cup Winners are invariably a team that finishes in the European places, for the sake of those places then going to the PL:

6) Everton.
7) Chelsea.

18) Burnley.
19) Watford.
20) Hull City.

Underachiever of the Season:

I guess from the above you could say either Manchester club given the weight of expectation behind the respective new managers there, but I'm gonna' say Leicester City. I can see them going from Champions to the bottom third/ in/on the fringe of the relegation fight

Overachiever of the Season:

Again, from the above, the obvious one would be L'pool ending the 26 year title drought. But I'm gonna' stick with the City's other side, Everton. I really like Koeman and how he works, and the signs are there already this pre-season of how hard he's worked with them the training pitch to get his ideas across in totally changing not only the way they play, but his system which is foreign to them. They still need to upgrade, coaching and team spirit still overcomes a LOT in this game and he has that in abundance wherever he's been. A return to Europe would be a fantastic first year return WELL beyond any blues current expectation.

Aside from not accounting for L'pool being massively struck by key injuries and not having the depth to replace that, I apparently gave Utd way too much credit and Chelsea not nearly enough prior to the season.

As regards everyone else who stuck their neck on the line:

ninjaskill- #3558

MANUMAD- #3559

morimech- #3570

epic terroist- #3571

PatrickLFC- #3575

Theatre of dreams- #3580

Subtle- #3582 Which lead to this from Alc- #3583

Chelski Shogun- #3585

My only predictions were that Liverpool and Arsenal won't make it to UCL spots this season.
What can I say? 50% of the time, I'm right every time.

Kinda right except on United. Got pool, city and arsenal spot on put Chelsea second. Relegation wrong too.

Roll on august so we can do it all again!

best bet is to say nothing till the end of the season then say i told you so like that was the master plan all along lol

Still no-one has beaten my Leicester prediction last season ;)

I got the most important spot right, correctly calling Middlesborough to finish 19th, other than that quite poor not helped by my forgetting of Liverpool. I had a debate with myself if they would finish fourth or fifth and seem to have forgotten to put them at one of the two

What an ***. At least Benitez had the balls to take the challenge of bringing Newcastle back up.
Benitez had a reasonable squad when Newcastle went down and had the full backing of the board, Sunderland meanwhile were lucky to stay in the top flight for the previous two seasons and I don't think the whole board supported Moyes from the beginning.

To be fair to Moyes (if that is possible) he said he would go if he didn't feel wanted, he wasn't wanted by the fans (well what do you expect when he told them to expect relegation back at the start of the season), whilst the board clearly didn't see his vision for the next season to be the right one. In this instance he was too honest for his own good, no one should tell the fans or players for that matter that the team is not good enough. That said he should never have taken the job in the first place, everyone knew it was a poisoned chalice and he was a mug to drink from it.
I think Sunderland's next managerial choice will be interesting, they don't have the squad to come straight back and will probably struggle in the Championship as well. Big names won't want to go there despite them being a 'fallen' giant, they may have to go for a newly retired player or someone who is even more deseprate than Moyes.

He'd be 4 years into that SIX year contract now. 'The Chosen One.'

That still blows my mind.

He didn't make Sunderland pay compensation, that's pretty classy from Moyes if you ask me. But I've always been a fan of him personally. *please detect my sarcasm*

Back