The Premier League Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10K
  • Views Views 689K

I think it's one of the most exciting stories in English football at the moment, so feel free to keep posting about it and the Leeds games generally. The impact of Bielsa is already evident, but just to see how it ends is going to be really interesting. I mean so far Leeds have played really well, but can they maintain it or will they get burn out as the season goes on? I hope they get promoted because it would be epic seeing Bielsa in PL and more importantly, a big club where they belong again.

I think it's one of the most exciting stories in English football at the moment, so feel free to keep posting about it and the Leeds games generally. The impact of Bielsa is already evident, but just to see how it ends is going to be really interesting. I mean so far Leeds have played really well, but can they maintain it or will they get burn out as the season goes on? I hope they get promoted because it would be epic seeing Bielsa in PL and more importantly, a big club where they belong again.

Thnx, really hope this is our way back, even if not this season and they keep Bielsa for next.
Have been thinking about resurrecting the Leeds thread that just broke down with my old account also. Afraid that it will happen again :D

it really is showing in the first games. For example last season Saiz and Alioski where pulled down they would roll on and on. Now u can see them have more desire and instantly picking them self up. Also the confidence boost that players have is immense.
Have to consider that currently only Douglas is playing from the new guys, so basically last season squad is playing so good. Jansson also getting rest from WC. Bamford and Blackman making their way into first team.
Afraid of the burnout, I want long run in cups, but even if we drop out it can be good for the team.

Sometimes it is worrying to watch us play from the back as we dont have the quality but if the guys believe themselves they can do it. If we conside like that, we just score more :)
One example.
https://streamja.com/qLXl
Just love the fluidity we have currently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjcF0HfW78k

HE'S ALL PALACE!

We're delighted to announce that @wilfriedzaha has signed a contract extension, keeping him at #CPFC
1f985.png
until
32-20e3.png
30-20e3.png
32-20e3.png
33-20e3.png

La Liga games in the US and Canada is about as grim as it gets.

Words can’t describe how inherently wrong this is. I half get the American based sports trying to grow their product on a World wide scale by promoting the real thing but even that’s never sat right. Regular season games played in another Country is just wrong. It just flys in the face of being a supporter and the community a sports club should serve. And football is the very LAST sport that needs to do this.

The PL ever went down this road and took a home game from clubs that might well be the final nail and the end for me.

Absolutely abhorant what the Spanish League has signed up for.

Soul completely sold.

Words can’t describe how inherently wrong this is. I half get the American based sports trying to grow their product on a World wide scale by promoting the real thing but even that’s never sat right. Regular season games played in another Country is just wrong. It just flys in the face of being a supporter and the community a sports club should serve. And football is the very LAST sport that needs to do this.

The PL ever went down this road and took a home game from clubs that might well be the final nail and the end for me.

Soul completely sold.

totally agree with you,shocking decision that really makes no sense other than being greed on the part of the clubs heirachy

totally agree with you,shocking decision that really makes no sense other than being greed on the part of the clubs heirachy

Nottin more than pure greed mate. The rats have completely sold the lads in Spain down the river.

We’ve put up with a heck of a lot through the ‘greed is good League’ era. Aka the Premier League. From extortionate ticket prices, to games being played at ridiculous times on ridiculous days, with absolutely zero consideration to the paying supporter, without whom they’d have NO game, let alone TV product. The subscription fees to watch football on the TV. Getting F around following your team in Europe with the extra games on different days and the airlines joining the clubs in exploiting the last penny out of everyone. And all points in between.

But I think that would be the final straw for me if/ when the PL go down this disgraceful road through nothing more but out and out greed.

I read that somewhere 2008-9 there was similar chat about it for PL, basically somehow 39th game in US. Didint follow that much then, so dont know if it is true.

I read that somewhere 2008-9 there was similar chat about it for PL, basically somehow 39th game in US. Didint follow that much then, so dont know if it is true.

The 39th game B/S.

Yeah, that’s unbelievably a thing that’s been mooted for over a decade now.

Mercifully, to this point they’ve stopped short of going down that road. But if they now follow Spain’s lead .....

Soul completely sold.
You better get ready for Liverpool playing in Boston during the season. Liverpool vs Manchester United anyone?$$$ With the NFL dying, there is a rich market ready to be exploited. If not by the EPL, then another league or sport.

Nottin more than pure greed mate. The rats have completely sold the lads in Spain down the river.

We’ve put up with a heck of a lot through the ‘greed is good League’ era. Aka the Premier League. From extortionate ticket prices, to games being played at ridiculous times on ridiculous days, with absolutely zero consideration to the paying supporter, without whom they’d have NO game, let alone TV product. The subscription fees to watch football on the TV. Getting F around following your team in Europe with the extra games on different days and the airlines joining the clubs in exploiting the last penny out of everyone. And all points in between.

But I think that would be the final straw for me if/ when the PL go down this disgraceful road through nothing more but out and out greed.

Not gonna disagree with what you said, the supporter in the stadium gets a rough deal, but, and I am probably out of touch a bit as I emigrated 9 years ago, aren;t away tickets at least price-capped? I heard something like 30 quid, and I think Cardiff are subsidising away tickets for their fans to the tune of a tenner per ticket - so if you are a Cardiff fan, you pay 20 for an away match ticket. Good on Cardiff if what I hear is true.

I also read an article (can't remember where sorry) that showed 18 premier league clubs would still run a profit if they played a season behind closed doors - such is the power of the TV money and the strength of the PL as a commodity. The match-day fan isn't required anymore.

As for teams playing in other countries, that doesn't sit well with me either, but again, here in New Zealand, I follow the Phoenix, it is a 7 hour drive to the ground - and back. They are a Wellington team, but play some of their home games at other cities - I can see them in Auckland and/or Hamilton, so can understand, in a small way, the team going to the fans. For the Spanish clubs, the Hispanic following they have in the US is huge. For Spanish fans they miss one game, for the US fans it's the chance of a lifetime to see their team.

As I said, I'm not gonna disagree, just offer an alternative viewpoint, if Man Utd were to play Liverpool or City in Wellington I would fight tooth and nail to get a ticket. ****, I would for ANY PL match to be fair. In the meantime, I will keep paying my TV subscriptions so I can see MY team and support them as best I can from distance. To be fair though, I am seeing more minutes of my team now than I ever did as a season ticket holder in the 'old days' before Sky.

Last edited:
The thing would not only be unfair to fans, but for players also. They play for specific league and fans. But suddenly they need to travel overseas for one game and then back. It is not friendly to promote the team and get preseason training, they are used to play competitive match somewhere else for plain and simple - Money.

What has happened then with La Liga? If anyone could clarify I'm a bit out of the picture not been around much lately.

But just going off the discussion here, it would be absolutely disgusting if they started making PL overseas. The day that happens is the day I stop following football because it has officially sold out. Well I'll follow lower league maybe but other than that I'd be done.

However lets face it, it's probably just a matter of time that happens, most PL clubs are run by foreign owners and the league itself is run by money men and sponsors. That's all it's about now, so eventually I think they'll start taking it abroad to make even more money or they'll create that fantasy league **** where they put major teams from European leagues together.

I also read an article (can't remember where sorry) that showed 18 premier league clubs would still run a profit if they played a season behind closed doors - such is the power of the TV money and the strength of the PL as a commodity. The match-day fan isn't required anymore. .....

From a financial standpoint gate revenue is minimal now as opposed to it used to being a club’s main source of income.

But matchday fans will will always be ‘requured’ mate. Without them and the ambiance there’s NO TV spectacular. ****, without them, there’s NO game.

Football without fans is NOTHING.

What has happened then with La Liga? If anyone could clarify I'm a bit out of the picture not been around much lately. ......

They’ve agreed a 15 year deal with the group behind the pre-season ICC to play La Liga matches in both the US and Canada. Spain trying to corner the global TV market at the expense of any integrity it had left.

They’ve agreed a 15 year deal with the group behind the pre-season ICC to play La Liga matches in both the US and Canada. Spain trying to corner the global TV market at the expense of any integrity it had left.
tbh utd and pool have more pull than all of la liga

Fans will argue both sides of this regardles,

Best supported clubs in the world 100k for a friendly in bumfeck, USA... amazing,
Wanna the clubs to go over and let them see a game that matters, nah **** em plastic fans..

Its a global product has been for years, this step is coming. They'll prob start with the charity shield though in Eng, the TV deal to big the rest of Europe will try this first luckily.

Fans will argue both sides of this regardles,

Best supported clubs in the world 100k for a friendly in bumfeck, USA... amazing,
Wanna the clubs to go over and let them see a game that matters, nah **** em plastic fans..

Its a global product has been for years, this step is coming. They'll prob start with the charity shield though in Eng, the TV deal to big the rest of Europe will try this first luckily.

It would just make the level of playing field even wider, for the best supported clubs like United/Liverpool in USA for example then the attendances would be through the roof. But then what about the smaller teams, would they attract big attendances like that... highly doubt it... most fans overseas would probably not even know who Huddersfield was. (no offence).

I just hate the whole ethos and idea behind it to be honest, I'll never be convinced or even want to be a part of it.

From a financial standpoint gate revenue is minimal now as opposed to it used to being a club’s main source of income.

But matchday fans will will always be ‘requured’ mate. Without them and the ambiance, there’s NO TV spectacular. ****, without them, there’s NO game.

Football without fans is NOTHING.
I think you missed my point my friend. Match-day fans are not required for the clubs in PL to turn a profit. Whether they are needed for the atmosphere, spectacle and TV audience is a different argument and one we would both agree on.

Financially though, they are not needed for the clubs to make money.

Watching ESPN last night, they had the guy who is heading the organisation in the states, he made some interesting points. Didn't fully convince me though, but apparently, La Liga are keen for it to happen and 'most' of the major clubs are as well. He didn't specify which ones, but contractually I guess they can't until it is signed and confirmed.

The essence of what he was saying though was "La Liga are looking at the Premier League and seeing the success, they are open to new ideas to help them achieve the same success" - for 'success' read 'money' but the PL is by far the richest league, due to the corporate approach, which, if you remember was why it was set up in the first place - clubs wanting more control over TV and marketing rights so broke away from the Football League. UEFA, seeing this happen, also put in place the Champions League to head-off the talk about a break-away European Competition which was pretty close to happening at the time.

I can see the Community Shield or somesuch being used as a marketing tool to hawk around the world, but who knows in this day and age.

It was a move always coming the Italian super cup used to be in China in Decemeber. Just look at US sports NFL, MLB and the NBA will all have games in London in their next season. The Jacksonville Jaguars fans lose 1 of 8 home games to London every season. All sports leagues are trying to capture fans in new areas and after you've seen five friendlies the sixth one really begins to lose it's appeal especially at the cost. The thing I don't get with the La Liga deal is having only one game per season makes it unfair on the two teams involved especially the one that loses a home game as they will have to deal with travel and at least six hours of time difference when they are back to Spain. Unless it is the last game before the winter break whoever faces the two teams who have played in the US next will have a huge advantage over them and if it is tight at the top or bottom can imagine **** will be raised if someone is forced to play away.

Back