Villas-Boas resigns as Porto boss

BBC Sport

BBC Sport News Headlines
Reaction score
sGG8E.jpg

Chelsea target Andre Villas-Boas resigns as Porto coach, according to reports in Portugal.

More...

So will Chelsea now still have to pay that 13 mil to Porto for him to become our manager?

"The Lusa news agency has now reported Villas-Boas has terminated his Porto deal by paying the amount himself."

Woah..

Wow. It presumably doesn't cost him as much to buy it out himself does it? I mean - he's buying out the remainder of his contract, whereas Chelsea are surely just paying a compensation fee decided by the Porto board? So unless he has 3 years left and earns £5M a year, this seems pretty sneaky.

In fact - is that legal? To (presumably) give AVB money to buy out his contract? Surely that's tapping-up?

He paid with money Chelsea gave him.

WOW. I wasn't really expecting this, he was always saying bla bla, I love Porto... It's all about the money.

:':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)'(

well, who would'nt choose chelsea over porto, well, wish him luck, a very interresting manager, we still win the league though :b

Wow. It presumably doesn't cost him as much to buy it out himself does it? I mean - he's buying out the remainder of his contract, whereas Chelsea are surely just paying a compensation fee decided by the Porto board? So unless he has 3 years left and earns £5M a year, this seems pretty sneaky.

In fact - is that legal? To (presumably) give AVB money to buy out his contract? Surely that's tapping-up?

Always looking for somthing arnt you lol. Maybe he is paying it himself and then Roman will re-inburst him once he signs the contract at Chelsea.

This is what I thought, but surely that isn't within the rules?

Gutted. Totally.

Before Abra money:

"I am sitting in a gold chair, i love porto."

After Abra money

"Kthxbye"

He'd still have to pay the release clause, I think. If he just bought out his contract and goes to Chelsea then it's blatant tapping up. The same way Villa had to pay compensation over McLeish.

He paid with money Chelsea gave him.

WOW. I wasn't really expecting this, he was always saying bla bla, I love Porto... It's all about the money.

It's also a good career move, chance to make history (Youngest manager in the PL.)

Always looking for somthing arnt you lol. Maybe he is paying it himself and then Roman will re-inburst him once he signs the contract at Chelsea.

I'm just curious. Wouldn't be the first time Chelsea were involved in tapping-up... Mourinho was involved last time, too.

This is what I thought, but surely that isn't within the rules?

It wouldn't be, I don't think but...

He'd still have to pay the release clause, I think. If he just bought out his contract and goes to Chelsea then it's blatant tapping up. The same way Villa had to pay compensation over McLeish.

Seen on twitter from Zonal Marking:

"RT @portugoaldotnet: A Bola say André Villas-Boas has sent a fax to FC Porto stating he will pay the 15million euros release clause"

So he's paying the release clause, but surely HE isn't actually paying it. RA is clearly giving him the money to pay for it, but they can't refuse to release him if HE pays it, and resigns I guess? Surely still illegal, though if it turns out RA is giving him the money to circumvent the rules.

I'm just curious. Wouldn't be the first time Chelsea were involved in tapping-up... Mourinho was involved last time, too.

It wouldn't be, I don't think but...

Seen on twitter from Zonal Marking:

"RT @portugoaldotnet: A Bola say André Villas-Boas has sent a fax to FC Porto stating he will pay the 15million euros release clause"

So he's paying the release clause, but surely HE isn't actually paying it. RA is clearly giving him the money to pay for it, but they can't refuse to release him if HE pays it, and resigns I guess? Surely still illegal, though if it turns out RA is giving him the money to circumvent the rules.

He'll probably just get a £15m signing on fee when he signs on. It is dodgy, don't see the logic in giving him money to pay it instead of just paying it yourself where it's legal.

If that's his release clause though, surely Abramovich can pay it and Porto would have no choice but to accept it anyway?