Villas-Boas resigns as Porto boss

I'm just curious. Wouldn't be the first time Chelsea were involved in tapping-up... Mourinho was involved last time, too.

It wouldn't be, I don't think but...

Seen on twitter from Zonal Marking:

"RT @portugoaldotnet: A Bola say André Villas-Boas has sent a fax to FC Porto stating he will pay the 15million euros release clause"

So he's paying the release clause, but surely HE isn't actually paying it. RA is clearly giving him the money to pay for it, but they can't refuse to release him if HE pays it, and resigns I guess? Surely still illegal, though if it turns out RA is giving him the money to circumvent the rules.

Once, thats all lol. We have only been fined once for tapping up. Personly i dont see no problem with it at all.

If he is paying the release clause then why did he need to resign? Surely if Chelsea are paying it then that would mean they would have got to speak to him as it met the release clause.

I don't think the how is important, Porto will get 15 million anyway .

But I have this feeling, Villas Boas won't be very succesful...

I don't think the how is important, Porto will get 15 million anyway .

But I have this feeling, Villas Boas won't be very succesful...

You wouldnt, you're a Benfica fan.

Last edited by a moderator:
He'll probably just get a £15m signing on fee when he signs on. It is dodgy, don't see the logic in giving him money to pay it instead of just paying it yourself where it's legal.

If that's his release clause though, surely Abramovich can pay it and Porto would have no choice but to accept it anyway?

Perhaps the release clause only applies to himself? The quoted €15M that Chelsea would have to pay could perhaps have been a misunderstanding... Porto can refuse to let Chelsea speak to him if the clause doesn't apply to clubs if that makes sense? Just stinks of dirty business to me.

Once, thats all lol. We have only been fined once for tapping up. Personly i dont see no problem with it at all.

Tapping up, or getting AVB to release himself from his contract?

Perhaps the release clause only applies to himself? The quoted €15M that Chelsea would have to pay could perhaps have been a misunderstanding... Porto can refuse to let Chelsea speak to him if the clause doesn't apply to clubs if that makes sense? Just stinks of dirty business to me.

Tapping up, it happens in all walks of life appart from football.

I think this was a very planned move. If Chelsea had made a move, that means 15 Million out of Club's account. Now AVB will pay the compensation which he will get back from Roman but wont be through Club account.. If everything goes well then its a very well thought out act and have to say Genius one..

Look at it this way atleast you will be able to see him in the flesh if you go to Liverpool v Chelsea next season ;) :p

Well I'm abducting him, tieing him with rope, and chucking him in my boot then.

Serves him right for betraying me.

:'(

What does me being a Benfica fan has to do with him not having sucess as Chelsea manager? Do you think I hate the guy? I don't.

A pretty redundant line of thought indeed ;). the fact is, I consider Villas Boas to be some sort of Pep Guardiola, Porto is his home, so it's the same way, I wouldn't say that Guardiola would be sucessful too, and I'm not a Real Madrid fan .

Porto said that any club that offers the release clause, then they can't prevent them speaking to him.

Well I'm abducting him, tieing him with rope, and chucking him in my boot then.

Serves him right for betraying me.

:'(

Can you wait until he leaves Chelsea or gets the usual sacking from Roman before doing this :p

Will doing it this way effect the ffp rules less? Maybe the money doesn't appear to be a transfer cost but instead a signing on fee which allows them to spend more on players? Or do signing on fees contribute to ffp spending anyway?

Last edited:
Wow. It presumably doesn't cost him as much to buy it out himself does it? I mean - he's buying out the remainder of his contract, whereas Chelsea are surely just paying a compensation fee decided by the Porto board? So unless he has 3 years left and earns £5M a year, this seems pretty sneaky.

In fact - is that legal? To (presumably) give AVB money to buy out his contract? Surely that's tapping-up?

I don't know if anyone has answered this as I've only just seen this thread. But AVB has to pay 13.2 million just as Chelsea would. But obviously RA will pay for the 13.2 million, it is perfectly legal and the only advantage I can see is that Porto can't stop Chelsea buying any of their squad, which is something that Porto wanted them to agree to.

Will doing it this way effect the ffp rules less? Maybe the money doesn't appear to be a transfer cost but instead a signing on fee which allows them to spend more on players? Or do signing on fees contribute to ffp spending anyway?

Possibly, if so then im impressed with the men in suits at Chelsea for the first time lol.