Villas-Boas resigns as Porto boss

Tapping up, it happens in all walks of life appart from football.

You seriously don't see anything wrong with tapping-up? With signing contracts with players behind a club's back so they have no option but to sell X player? K.

I don't know if anyone has answered this as I've only just seen this thread. But AVB has to pay 13.2 million just as Chelsea would. But obviously RA will pay for the 13.2 million, it is perfectly legal and the only advantage I can see is that Porto can't stop Chelsea buying any of their squad, which is something that Porto wanted them to agree to.

So still enormously cheeky from Chelsea. Knew there was something fishy about it.

He will pay it personally (not all at one time but in installments) and then get twice what he paid in a signing on fee from RA.

You seriously don't see anything wrong with tapping-up? With signing contracts with players behind a club's back so they have no option but to sell X player? K.

So still enormously cheeky from Chelsea. Knew there was something fishy about it.

No i dont see a problem with a club going to a player and saying we would like you in our squad.

I don't know if anyone has answered this as I've only just seen this thread. But AVB has to pay 13.2 million just as Chelsea would. But obviously RA will pay for the 13.2 million, it is perfectly legal and the only advantage I can see is that Porto can't stop Chelsea buying any of their squad, which is something that Porto wanted them to agree to.

But they can still reject any bid that doesn't match any minimum fee clause, and if they don't want to lose players for their minimum fee value then they shouldn't have agreed to put them in players contracts!

I'm just curious. Wouldn't be the first time Chelsea were involved in tapping-up... Mourinho was involved last time, too.

It wouldn't be, I don't think but...

Seen on twitter from Zonal Marking:

"RT @portugoaldotnet: A Bola say André Villas-Boas has sent a fax to FC Porto stating he will pay the 15million euros release clause"

So he's paying the release clause, but surely HE isn't actually paying it. RA is clearly giving him the money to pay for it, but they can't refuse to release him if HE pays it, and resigns I guess? Surely still illegal, though if it turns out RA is giving him the money to circumvent the rules.

Surely if Roman is going to give him the 15M to resign, why not just give the 15M and meet the release clause. All seems a bit dodgy to me.

I liked this from his wikipedia:

"He is regarded as unique in the sense that he has no football playing experience, became a coach of a major club with very little head coaching experience, and achieved this role at a very young age."

It's like he's running some IRL Football Manager 2011 sim, just added himself to Porto with SLF experience and is pwning everyone :)

Surely if Roman is going to give him the 15M to resign, why not just give the 15M and meet the release clause. All seems a bit dodgy to me.

Because if Chelsea do it Porto can add a (you cant sign any of our players clause). But if Boas does is he will become a free agent and will not have any clauses against him so he will be able to sign players from Porto.

No i dont see a problem with a club going to a player and saying we would like you in our squad.

That's not what tapping-up is. What you're saying is technically not tapping up, but is just immoral. Signing a pre-contract with a player without permission is tapping-up. It's what you did with Cashley Hole and were rightly fined for it.

I don't understand how you don't see a problem with that. I know it's your club and everything, but really? If it were legal then clubs and managers have no say at all in transfers. You can't say "I don't want to sell X player" because Y club will just approach them anyway and force you to sell through agreeing everything with the agent.

If he wants to sign porto players he will have to pay the clauses anyway, Pinto da Costa , our president, i bet he is so mad that he won't let anyone leave for less thn the clause, want falcao? Pay the 30m. ;)

Because if Chelsea do it Porto can add a (you cant sign any of our players clause). But if Boas does is he will become a free agent and will not have any clauses against him so he will be able to sign players from Porto.

If a release clause is met, you can't add stupid add-on clauses. The club have no say in the matter and Boas would then speak to Chelsea without the involvement of Porto.

That's not what tapping-up is. What you're saying is technically not tapping up, but is just immoral. Signing a pre-contract with a player without permission is tapping-up. It's what you did with Cashley Hole and were rightly fined for it.

I don't understand how you don't see a problem with that. I know it's your club and everything, but really? If it were legal then clubs and managers have no say at all in transfers. You can't say "I don't want to sell X player" because Y club will just approach them anyway and force you to sell through agreeing everything with the agent.

But thats my point, football is a business now days and it happens in every business in the world appart from football. Sometimes clubs force players to stay against their will and i dont think that is right.

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

If a release clause is met, you can't add stupid add-on clauses. The club have no say in the matter and Boas would then speak to Chelsea without the involvement of Porto.

Maybe their is a clause stating if a "club" reaches the realease clause then you cannot sign any of the Porto players. Nothing about if a "person" reached the release clause.

But thats my point, football is a business now days and it happens in every business in the world appart from football. Sometimes clubs force players to stay against their will and i dont think that is right.

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

Maybe their is a clause stating if a "club" reaches the realease clause then you cannot sign any of the Porto players. Nothing about if a "person" reached the release clause.

So if there is a clause that meets a clause that then meets a clause.. There is more to this than meets the eye.

It's so disapointing to see a young, very talented manager with no ambition in life. ;)

But it's only "against their will" because a club has already approached them and given them lots of money (and, in Ashley Cole's case - free *** ***) without the consent of the club. Surely we want players to have LESS control in football? We (or at least I, and I think most people) don't want football to become monopolised even more by people like Abramovich, who's only lean-to in 2003 was having a wad of cash in his back pocket.

It's surely not fair that clubs should essentially have no say whatsoever over selling their own players. Otherwise what's the point? In business you have a choice - you don't HAVE to sell your shares, and no one HAS to sell their players under the current rules. But if tapping up was legal, clubs would be forced into selling against their will.

Anyway, this is already going off-topic and I cba to discuss something you're obviously opposed to since your club has been proved guilty of it.

Very happy with this.... AVB is one of the most talented managers around and he plays some really nice football, he can really transform us into a force next season plus I hope he can convince the likes of Falcao and Hulk to join us

If chelsea where to buy out his clause would they need to pay any tax?

New Porto statemant out. They have recieved the full ammount of the release clause from Chelsea. Just a matter of time now then.