The Prodigal Son: A Manchester United Story

You guys might be happy to know that my grandad's cancer is treatable, and he should recover.

Also, I have new chapter, and Rome was awesome. :)

You guys might be happy to know that my grandad's cancer is treatable, and he should recover.

Also, I have new chapter, and Rome was awesome. :)
glad he will be ok m8 very good story keep up the good work

Chapter 27:
12th​ February, 2012
Salford, Manchester.

“Alice!? ALICE! Speak to me!”

I quickly moved across the room to where she lay, propped up against the wall. I gave her shoulder a soft shake, her head lolling to the side with the momentum. I spotted various pill bottles lead around her, some labels I recognised as my own prescriptions. Sinking down beside her, I reached for my phone, dialling slowly with shaking hands. Please... I thought to myself. Please don’t be too late...

I reached across, placing my hand against the side of her neck. There was a pulse, ragged and faint, but still there. My attention was dragged back to the phone by a voice on the other end.

“Emergency services, what is your emergency?” A female voice answered my call.

“I-... My fiancee’s just attempted suicide! I need an ambulance!” I shouted down the phone, my voice quivering.

“Keep calm sir. An ambulance is on its way. What manner of injury has she sustained?”

“She-...” I picked up one of the bottles. “An overdose. Lots of different medications...”

“Ok sir. Where are you?” Her calm voice reverberated from the phone’s speaker.

“My apartment... 26A, Regent Road... Please hurry..!” I tried my hardest to keep speaking, ignoring the feeling of sorrow welling up in my stomach.

“Relaying it now, sir. Keep taking to me. What state is she in...?”

22nd November, 2002.
Droylsden FC, Manchester.

“Go on Danny! Get to that! Nice save, keep it up!”

I gave myself a smile as I gathered the shot from the Crewe U18’s striker. I’d been playing for the Bloods for nearly three years, and it felt great. We’d won promotion from our youth league the season before, and we were safe by quite a margin as it stood so far this year. Looking over to the sideline as I pelted the ball upfield, I spotted the usual people in the crowd. Not many spectators tended to turn up for the U18’s games. Not surprising, really. Droylsden were still a non-league club. Who’d want to come and watch their youngsters?

Glancing again, I spotted the usual group of parents, including my dad, a couple of other parents, the U18’s coach John Lyons, and his daughter, Alice, who was about the same age as me. I kind of felt sorry for her, she kept being dragged along by her dad to the matches. She didn’t really follow football at all, but she had a nice personality, and was attractive to boot. I’d thought about ‘asking her out’ a couple of times, but never really had the chance.

As the full time whistle blew, we trooped off back towards the sideline. A nil-nil draw wasn’t brilliant, but Crewe were top of our league, and had put 5 past Preston the week before, so the result wasn’t actually too bad. I joined the group gathering around John, not really listening to him.

“..You all did pretty well out there today; I want to see you all keep that up in training. We’re doing alr- Hang on, lads. – Danny! I’m talking, pay some attention!”

I snapped back to looking at him. “Yeah- I mean, sorry coach.”

“Good, because you really need to work on your crosses! You were flapping at them way too much. Get to training early on Tuesday and we’ll get some extra practice in...” He finished addressing the team and dismissed everyone. I frowned at his criticism and was about to give a frustrated shrug when I heard a voice behind me.

“That was a bit unfair... You weren’t that bad...” I turned to see Alice with a sympathetic smile on her face.

“Thanks... I guess he was just a little annoyed that we didn’t take our chances.” I returned the smile. She began turning to walk away when I blurted. “D’you want to go see a movie or something? I mean- There’s no match next week, so I’ve got some time...”

She gave a genuine smile, this time. “Yeah, that sounds great Dan!” She turned to look towards her father, who was walking back towards his car. “Well, I’ll see you then, I guess... Unless dad drags me to your training sessions as well as your matches...”

12th​ February, 2012.
Salford, Manchester.

I was jerked back from my memories by a voice yelling up the stairs of the apartment.

“Paramedics! Who needs help?”

I daren’t move Alice from her position against the wall, checking her neck again to ensure a pulse was indeed still there. “Up here! In the bathroom!” I replied with a yell, standing up and heading to the door to make sure the medics knew which room. I stood to the side as they rushed in, quickly checking over Alice before bringing a stretcher up and manoeuvring her onto it, taking her downstairs and placing her in the waiting ambulance. I followed them in silence, tears welling in my eyes.

YES DANNY!! Finally an update :)

And good news about your Grandad's cancer being treatable :)

hi danny- nice update, so glad it's still going! sorry to hear about your grandad, glad its treatable- best wishes with that.

looking forward to hearing more.

hi danny- nice update, so glad it's still going! sorry to hear about your grandad, glad its treatable- best wishes with that.

looking forward to hearing more.

Thanks. He had a blood transfusion today, should help with his recovery. I'm looking to finish the season in time for FM13... and carry on the next story there!

Also, I got into my 1st choice Uni! So, Bangor, here I come!

PS: Honourable mention to TheBusbyBriddon who is currently going through, liking every chapter :p

Last edited:
Hahaha thanks. I'm ******* myself at this moment intime because I think I can hear someone in my house downstairs. I've read from the start, from midnight and i'm finally up to date. It scared me when I saw my name on the screen. Nice work keep it up, I loved the Nani bit because on FIFA for me he's a *****. Thanks for that Danny. Hope your Granddad gets well soon.

P.S. I'm in a 2017 season and Fergie has gone so i've made an editor database and now your the manager of Man U

Hahaha thanks. I'm ******* myself at this moment intime because I think I can hear someone in my house downstairs. I've read from the start, from midnight and i'm finally up to date. It scared me when I saw my name on the screen. Nice work keep it up, I loved the Nani bit because on FIFA for me he's a *****. Thanks for that Danny. Hope your Granddad gets well soon.

P.S. I'm in a 2017 season and Fergie has gone so i've made an editor database and now your the manager of Man U

Nice one :) Yeah, I really don't like Nani on FM or in real life... (Just awful today, as usual. Has one good game then goes missing for 5 or 6... :/)

Thanks. We'll find out sometime soon whether his tranfusion's done him any good.

Nice touch with the FM save, guess you liked the story so far?

Danny, not reading this update until i post this, and brilliant that a new update, and good to hear the good news about your grandad

Hi Danny, I love the story and especially all the links it has to former Man utd managers, Busby's wife suffered a miscarriage back when he was a player in the thirties while the Docherty scandal has a part as well, keep writing this please, it's fantastic!

Nice one :) Yeah, I really don't like Nani on FM or in real life... (Just awful today, as usual. Has one good game then goes missing for 5 or 6... :/)

Thanks. We'll find out sometime soon whether his tranfusion's done him any good.

Nice touch with the FM save, guess you liked the story so far?
Loved it... I get fired every 5 games so I just watch vids and ETC.... KIU
Nani is hit n' miss.... It's all about Rodri.... SWFC!!!

any updates coming soon mate?

Might be. I've had some family time recently, my grandad passed away, and I missed a week of Uni for his funeral, so I've been catching up with that. Plus, I had to format my laptop and was without the file for a while, just found it.

If I start writing again, you guys will be the first to know.

Might be. I've had some family time recently, my grandad passed away, and I missed a week of Uni for his funeral, so I've been catching up with that. Plus, I had to format my laptop and was without the file for a while, just found it.

If I start writing again, you guys will be the first to know.
I'm sorry to hear that mate, I hope everything is ok, take as much time as you need buddy. As a matter of interest what are you studying at Uni?

Is this thread still alive? o_O
Sorry man, just been waiting for a while :p
Hope all's good.