The Red Devils - Not A Manchester United Story

Our New Years Day fixture would be one of the toughest we could ask for as we took on Norwich. Our formation clearly hasn't been working for us of late, so it was time to come up with a slight variation in the hope it would bring around some better results.

3. tactic.JPG

We actually matched Norwich in every department here except goals, so we can count ourselves a little unlucky not to get anything from the game. Hopefully, the new formation will inspire some wins against weaker opponents after we played so well against Norwich.

3. norwich.JPG

There is a possibility I am losing the dressing room though as my players called a meeting to discuss the club's poor form and express their dwindling faith in my management of the football club.

3. players unhappy.JPG

My next game in charge would be in the 3rd round of the FA Cup...it is nice as a Championship club that we get to skip two rounds, but we didn't hold out much hope for progressing in the tournament as we faced off against Southampton.

We were right not to have high hopes as again we are beaten by the better team. On the plus side, I guess we have no distractions from trying to stay in the league now.

3. southampton.JPG

Rotherham were one of the few teams below us in the league so we had to go into the game knowing the 3 points was essential.

But a really bad performance saw us beaten again and we are now in the bottom 3 for the first time this season!

3. rotherham.JPG

The pressure was mounting and my job was now coming under serious scrutiny as we went into a game against Sheffield United. I asked my lads for a reaction on the pitch in an attempt to hopefully save my job! However, with the dressing room atmosphere as bad as it is, I wasn't sure how much they'd be prepared to give me.

And it was a really bad game for us, managing only 1 shot on their goal in the whole match as we fall to defeat again.

3. sheff utd.JPG

There was no sacking though, as I was given the chance to turn things around against Lincoln.

However, a 62nd minute sending off robbed us of any chance of getting back into this game.

3. lincoln.JPG

Still no sacking though, as I was given yet another opportunity against Reading. The board seem to be giving me every chance to save my job!

Another bad showing and another defeat!

3. reading.JPG

And that was the final straw for the board as increasing pressure from the fans and the players, I am relieved of my duties. Although I'm gutted, I can't entirely disagree with the board on this one as it is probably one of the longest runs I've ever recorded on FM without a win! All in all, it was 19 games and over 3 months without a win in the end!

3. winless run.JPG

Overall, I managed a total of 206 games for Crawley Town, with a 47% win rate and two promotions in three seasons! On top of that, I delivered the club's first trophy since they won the National League in 2011, winning the Papa John's Trophy.

3. manager stats.JPG

I'd say my first save/story on FM23 has been a successful one and although I couldn't take Crawley Town to the promised land of the Premier League, I am happy with what I did manage to achieve. In the end, I think back to back promotions was our downfall as we had too sharp a rise to the Championship and didn't have time to build a squad good enough to compete at that level. Quite a good proportion of my team playing regularly in the Championship were playing for me in League Two and the 2 tier jump in the end was beyond most of their abilities.

I hope you've all enjoyed my story on here and I really appreciate all the engagement with comments and likes, but as this was a save based entirely around Crawley, I won't be continuing with another club and will start something new.

Sad way for it to end but I think you can be really proud of the success you had. Looking forward to the next save

Sad way for it to end but I think you can be really proud of the success you had. Looking forward to the next save

I'm pleased for sure. It normally takes me a good couple of saves to get to grips with the new game before I realise any decent success, so to get a couple of promotions under my belt in my first save with a small team is definitely encouraging for me :)

Unlucky mate, was always gonna be tough in the Championship with such little money!! Look forward to your next one

Our New Years Day fixture would be one of the toughest we could ask for as we took on Norwich. Our formation clearly hasn't been working for us of late, so it was time to come up with a slight variation in the hope it would bring around some better results.

View attachment 604049

We actually matched Norwich in every department here except goals, so we can count ourselves a little unlucky not to get anything from the game. Hopefully, the new formation will inspire some wins against weaker opponents after we played so well against Norwich.

View attachment 604050

There is a possibility I am losing the dressing room though as my players called a meeting to discuss the club's poor form and express their dwindling faith in my management of the football club.

View attachment 604051

My next game in charge would be in the 3rd round of the FA Cup...it is nice as a Championship club that we get to skip two rounds, but we didn't hold out much hope for progressing in the tournament as we faced off against Southampton.

We were right not to have high hopes as again we are beaten by the better team. On the plus side, I guess we have no distractions from trying to stay in the league now.

View attachment 604052

Rotherham were one of the few teams below us in the league so we had to go into the game knowing the 3 points was essential.

But a really bad performance saw us beaten again and we are now in the bottom 3 for the first time this season!

View attachment 604053

The pressure was mounting and my job was now coming under serious scrutiny as we went into a game against Sheffield United. I asked my lads for a reaction on the pitch in an attempt to hopefully save my job! However, with the dressing room atmosphere as bad as it is, I wasn't sure how much they'd be prepared to give me.

And it was a really bad game for us, managing only 1 shot on their goal in the whole match as we fall to defeat again.

View attachment 604054

There was no sacking though, as I was given the chance to turn things around against Lincoln.

However, a 62nd minute sending off robbed us of any chance of getting back into this game.

View attachment 604055

Still no sacking though, as I was given yet another opportunity against Reading. The board seem to be giving me every chance to save my job!

Another bad showing and another defeat!

View attachment 604056

And that was the final straw for the board as increasing pressure from the fans and the players, I am relieved of my duties. Although I'm gutted, I can't entirely disagree with the board on this one as it is probably one of the longest runs I've ever recorded on FM without a win! All in all, it was 19 games and over 3 months without a win in the end!

View attachment 604057

Overall, I managed a total of 206 games for Crawley Town, with a 47% win rate and two promotions in three seasons! On top of that, I delivered the club's first trophy since they won the National League in 2011, winning the Papa John's Trophy.

View attachment 604058

I'd say my first save/story on FM23 has been a successful one and although I couldn't take Crawley Town to the promised land of the Premier League, I am happy with what I did manage to achieve. In the end, I think back to back promotions was our downfall as we had too sharp a rise to the Championship and didn't have time to build a squad good enough to compete at that level. Quite a good proportion of my team playing regularly in the Championship were playing for me in League Two and the 2 tier jump in the end was beyond most of their abilities.

I hope you've all enjoyed my story on here and I really appreciate all the engagement with comments and likes, but as this was a save based entirely around Crawley, I won't be continuing with another club and will start something new.

Oh I fought you'd forgotten to update or something, well that sucks, well good luck in your new save :)

If it's any consolation, it is quite refreshing seeing people post their "failures" as opposed to their successes!

Nice save mate, unlucky that it ended that way but you had a lot more patience then I would have and made a real success of it!