The Return of Dan's East European Adventure

Pompey_Dan

theboydonegood.net
Reaction score
picture.php

This thread sees the return of my East European adventure, the first Football Manager story I ever undertook. Playing only in Eastern Europe it followed my journey from unfancied manager to... well who knows where?! In the original thread(s) I experimented with different techniques including a dedicated web-site, here I just aim to continue the story and have fun... I hope that you enjoy it too.

League's loaded: Belarus, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia and Ukraine (all as playable) + England, Spain and Italy (as view only - just to keep in touch!)
I originally started with an automatic reputation and unemployed.

The original thread can be viewed here: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f81/dans-east-european-adventure-t24399.html

The names of some real people have been used in this story, however, the personality traits that these people exhibit in the story and the events that occur are entirely fictitious. No offence is meant in the writing of this story.

Watch the video below to recap on events so far...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmHm9Oo0Tyo"]YouTube- Dan's East European Adventure[/ame]

Last edited:
THE COURT ROOM
(Prologue)

picture.php

The court room was filled with a deathly hush as everyone awaited the verdict. It was April 2015 and during the last two weeks a number of important figures in Russian football had given evidence against the Tambovskaya (a mafia group based in St Petersburg) and their leader Emil Khristov concerning alleged match fixing.

Key to the case had been the evidence of English Manager, Dan Lake, who had managed the current Russian champions Rubin Kazan until December 2014 when he had gone into government protection as part of a large police investigation.

Back in December, at the time of Lake’s disappearance, newspaper allegations claimed Rubin Kazan had accepted mafia money in return for participating in rigged matches. Lake’s evidence, however, proved that Khristov had approached senior figures at the club in attempt to get them to lose games and ‘throw’ their title bid in the dying stages of the season. After refusing to accept Khristov’s "offer" the gangster's men had threatened Lake and some of his players in attempt to scare them into complicity.

Lake was sat in the gallery watching the scene before him unfold. He knew that after the hearing he would have to leave Russia, whatever the outcome, but only with Khristov behind bars would he feel safe to take another job in football.

Lake looked across at Khristov, there was no emotion in the man’s face at all and he just stared into space as those in the room around him decided his fate. As the jury’s spokesperson stood to deliver their verdict a shiver ran down Lake’s spine, he swallowed hard and closed his eyes as the juror opened his mouth to speak...

"AND HOW DO THE JURY FIND THE DEFENDANT?"

“GUILTY!”

There was commotion all around him, after a few minutes Lake opened his eyes to see a handcuffed Khristov being led away. Exhaling heavily the former manager allowed a smile to creep across his face, it was over and he would once again return to the sport he loved... with a clean reputation... but only after a small holiday, of course!

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

GETTING BACK IN THE GAME

It was 8:35am but the sun was already high in the sky and the temperature was fast approaching the high eighties. As I sat in the air-conditioned breakfast room of a Dubai hotel, I reached for my copy of Sovetsky Sport. I hadn’t been back to the country since the court hearing seven months ago but I still read the Russian papers religiously.
As I read through the column inches dedicated to match reports and managerial changes, my mind wandered. “It’s time I got back in the game” I thought.

In the hotel lobby I dialled my agent’s number on my mobile, it was too hot to wander the streets and right now I had more on my mind than gold and spice souks. The ringtone ended and the answer-phone kicked in, “Harry, call me when you get this. I want to get back into football and I need you to find out what’s available out there. I don’t care where I go, but I do know I can’t stay on holiday forever!”

With that I headed for the pool.

«««««

Just four days later I was on flight EK049 to Munich, where I’d meet Harry before we both boarded a plane heading to Podgorica in Montenegro. Harry had arranged for me to meet with the Montenegrin FA to discuss the possibility of me becoming their national coach. I knew very little about the country but I did know that they had produced some decent footballers such as Mirko Vucinic and Stevan Jovetic. I had also managed one of their internationals at Rubin Kazan, Nikola Drincic, so I had called him last night for some advice. I didn’t know how much of a chance I stood, but I was hungry to get back into the game. “Right now I’d take a job as the kit man!” I thought to myself and smiled.

«««««

So that was that. The interview had taken under an hour and, in truth, they didn’t appear to know much about the game but no matter, they had offered me the job and I had accepted. At the press conference tomorrow I would be unveiled as the new head coach of the Montenegro national side. My brief was simple, get the team to the 2018 World Cup in Spain.

picture.php

Last edited:
******. Haven't been reading this (I didn't read for the first half for some reason...) But i watched the video (which by the way is class) so i have a small idea of what's going on. I really like these kind of stories, and this one looks brilliant, keep going, and good luck in Montenegro.

Quality mate. I never seen the first part but i am following this for sure :D

Followed this when I first joined :wub: Good to see it back.

And the video is pretty slick!

Nice vidio mate, I'll follow be sure to look at my story... From Russia to win- a Chelsea
fc story

THE PRESS CONFERENCE

picture.php

It was November 23rd 2015 and Damjan Andric, football journalist with Montenegrin newspaper "Dan," sat in the stuffy press room at the headquarters of the Montenegro FA. “Why on earth do they have the heating on so high?” He thought to himself as he wiped the perspiration from his forehead.

The conditions in that room were unbearable and, if that wasn’t bad enough, Damjan was here to cover the presentation of Montenegro’s new head coach... an Englishman. It wasn’t that he had anything in particular against the English but what good could come of giving his nation’s top job to a Russian speaking Englishman?

Damjan had been vocal in his newspaper column about the failings of Montenegro’s previous manager, about his disillusionment with the team’s so called golden generation too, but he had little faith that the new man was any sort of improvement. And this **** heat only served to irritate him further still.

Eyes up, the new man was now centre-stage together with the Montenegrin FA’s press officer and... who was that other guy? Damjan guessed that he was an interpreter, “what’s wrong with this picture?” He pondered.

After the usual round of boring questions from his press colleagues and predictable answers from the new manager, Damjan’s name was called out. “Damjan Andric, Dan.” He had almost fallen asleep in the room’s heat, quickly gathering himself he asked his question, the one he had submitted before the conference for approval.

“You have taken the job of Montenegro manager without being able to speak Serbian. Surely this will have a negative effect while you get to grips with the language?”

The new man spoke, in English, followed by his interpreter as he translated. “I don’t have any worries, football is a universal language.”

“We’ll see about that,” thought Damjan, “we’ll see.”

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 10:17 PM ----------

THE ASSISTANT

picture.php

Ever since Dan Lake had walked away from Rubin Kazan his former assistant, Dmitry Los'kov, had been out of work. On that fateful day the chairman had called Los'kov into the boardroom before telling him that Lake had resigned, therefore the club were releasing him too. Los'kov was shocked, he had first worked with Lake at FC Moscow before continuing their relationship at Rubin. During this time the two men had formed a close bond, would his colleague really leave without telling him?

Los'kov remembered being bitterly disappointed, although he knew that Lake's departure must have had something to do with the mafia's recent interest in the club.

Over the weeks that followed it became clear that Lake was working with the Police concerning Emil Khristov's activities, although Dmitry Los'kov would still have no contact with his friend. He did eventually hear from Lake, once the court case had finished. An emotional reunion had seen the pair bury the hatchet and Lake promised Dmitry that they would work together again. Although, Neither of them could hazard a guess as to when exactly that would be.

Despite the promise Lake had made him, it came as a genuine surprise when Los'kov received the call in November. Lake had said that he was phoning with good news, that he was taking the job as head coach of the Montenegrin national side and wanted Dmitry to become his assistant. Los'kov hadn't needed time to think the offer over, he was a football man and he had been apart from the sport for too long. He jumped at the chance to be involved in the game once again.

«««««

And so here he was, in the stands of the Allianz Arena, on official business watching Bayern Munich play Dinamo Minsk. "What a job!" Los'kov thought to himself. He had spent the last few weeks travelling around Europe... Bucharest, Split, Rome, Manchester, Munich, just to name a few... watching games and compiling reports on the key Montenegro players.

In his hotel room that night Los'kov spread his match reports out on the bed and gathered his thoughts. "Not bad," he spoke out loud, "we should be able to make a team out of this lot." Los'kov had high hopes, there were some quality players available for selection after all. He picked up four of the match reports and separated them from the others. "What do we have here?" He pondered.

Mirko Vucinic, striker, AS Roma. At 32 he was no spring chicken but there was no doubt that he still had the quality to terrify the most experienced of defenders.

Stevan Jovetic, striker/winger/attacking midfielder, Fiorentina. Versatile, tenacious and at the peak of his game. Jovetic would be the creative fulcrum of the team, he would create the chances that Vucinic would put away.

Simon Vukcevic, winger and attacking midfielder, Bayern Munich. Another attacking asset, Vukcevic is as comfortable hugging the touchline as he is coming inside.

Ivan Fatic, left back, AC Milan. Dynamic in attack and defence, a natural fullback with astonishing ability. He could also slot into central defence if needed but why stifle those penetrating runs of his?

Los'kov knew that if they could give the side a solid spine, a blend of creativity, good team ethic and a stoic defensive mentality, then they had a shot at making something of this bunch of players. Not world beaters maybe, but a team that could certainly cause a few upsets none the less.

Last edited:
Looks a great story,I will be following and the video is really cool

I read the first parts, and it is great to see this back.

This is great so far, not many eastern Europe stories around either, never read the first part of it but will definitely read this! :D

You now what Dan the video sums it all up to me. You are one of the best story akers on the site love how its not all about FOOTBALL.

WOW your writing is great. Will defo follow this its great. Like the video aswell

THE DRAW

picture.php

Almost two months had passed since I had become manager of the Montenegro national side and I was restless, I would even go so far as to say I was bored. Whilst my assistant Dmitry seemed to enjoy watching players and assessing their potential, I longed to be out on the training pitch or in the dugout on match day. In the past, I had heard other international managers complain about how they missed the day to day involvement of club football but, if I were honest, it hadn’t been something I had stopped to consider before accepting the job.

At least today’s events promised some excitement, Dmitry and I were in Madrid for the 2018 World Cup Qualifying draw.

The draw was taking place in the Hotel Villa Magna and the facilities were far more impressive than those at the modest accommodation the Montenegrin FA had arranged for me and my assistant. Looking around the room I supposed that most of those present were used to such comfort. On our table sat England Manager, Stuart Pearce, and the German head coach Bernd Schuster. “Will either of these men end up being my adversary?” I wondered.

The draw was about to begin, not that Dmitry noticed. He had his head down and was scribbling away furiously, seemingly oblivious to everything going on around him. I swore to myself if he handed me another napkin with one of his ‘tactical innovations’ scrawled on it then I would make him eat the **** thing!

The FIFA official plucked the first plastic ball from a large glass bowl, cracked it open and unfolded the piece of paper concealed inside. “This is when the work really begins!” I thought to myself.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT9YnZKBMCs"]YouTube- Spain 2018 Qualifying Draw [/ame]​

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

A NATION'S HOPES IN HIS HANDS

picture.php

Damjan Andric sat before his computer in the offices of Montenegrin newspaper ‘Dan.’ As the draw for the World Cup qualifying round came to an end he disconnected the live feed and turned his thoughts to his column for tomorrow’s edition.

Damjan believed that the draw had been kind to Montenegro. Firstly, they had been drawn in one of the groups with five nations. This meant less games and a greater liklehood of finishing in a qualifying position. Secondly, Montenegro had avoided the really big teams, Italy, Germany, France and England. Sweden (ranked 11th in the world) and Scotland (20th) presented the biggest challenge to his nation, and Damjan didn’t consider these to be games that the team should fear.

Early signs that Montenegro’s new manager possessed a lucky streak, perhaps? There was no way Damjan would allow his hopes to be raised though. He had been vociferous in his disapproval of Dan Lake’s appointment and, until he had evidence to the contrary, he saw no reason to reconsider his position on the matter.

“He may not have Montenegro in his heart,” typed Damjan, “but Lake has the nation’s hopes in his hands. Let us hope that he doesn’t drop them in the mud.”

Last edited:
Absolutely superb stuff. The way that you lay out scenes is fantastic! I'll be following with interest. :)

I hate 'perspective' stories, but this one looks quality, I think I'll have to be a bit of a follower now!!

Fantastic update, like reading a book!

Brilliant. Brilliant. Brilliant.