The Return of Dan's East European Adventure

Nice udpate Dan, though shocking results.. should've beaten both teams no?

There's a lot more football to come yet Joss! ;)

I'm loving this mate. I can't believe how often you update too, great stuff

Thanks bud. I have a few days off right now which makes it easier, it won't always be so quick I'm afraid! :)

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

TRAINING DAY

picture.php

Damjan Andric had accepted manager Dan Lake’s invitation to attend a training session with the Montenegro national football team. Lake had made him feel welcome but it was clear that the assistant manager, Dmitry Los’kov, was not happy with the journalist’s presence.

Damjan had enjoyed the morning session. The players had gone through individual drills depending on their position before playing a practice match of two twenty minute halves. During the practice game Los’kov had blown a whistle and, on this signal, the players had switched positions. The wingers fell back into the fullback positions, fullbacks pushed up on the flanks, centre forwards dropped deep and attacking midfielders went up front. Lake explained that he wanted the players to perform with more fluidity; he hoped that this would allow for a more attacking style and that the interchange between players would make them difficult for the opposition to track and mark.

A pasta lunch was provided and Damjan sat with the players while he ate. He was surprised at how relaxed they appeared to be on the eve of such an important game. Tomorrow Montenegro were facing Sweden in Podgorica, a match that they must win if they were going to make the World Cup finals in a year’s time.

After lunch Damjan spoke to the manager. He thanked him for the opportunity to see the team’s preparations up close and they discussed the forthcoming game. Lake was confident about Montenegro’s chances against the Swedes and Damjan had to admit that he found his enthusiasm infectious. As he left the training ground Damjan was walking on air, it had been a long while since he had been so excited at the prospect of an international match.

Last edited:
Nice update again Dan, glad updates are coming more regularly now ( I read your post about having a few days off but still.) Looks like you're trying to get the journalists on side now... they'll still slate you if you don't win!

WEDNESDAY 13/09/2017

I was in confident mood. Preparations for today’s game had gone well and I was convinced that we could take the game to our opponents. Even the press build up for the match had been full of hope and promise.

Considered as favourites to top the group when the draw was made, Sweden had been disappointing in qualifying so far and sat near the bottom of the table without a win to their name. Montenegro were currently in third place, three points behind the leaders. If we didn’t win today then qualifying for the finals would be all but impossible.

In Montenegro’s previous competitive game against Scotland, I felt that we had played far too defensively and had paid heavily for it with a defeat. Today, the team would play higher up the pitch, putting our opponents under pressure whenever they were in possession. As tactics go the approach carried a certain amount of risk but I was determined that, if we were going to lose, than we were going to do so fighting.

The Podgorica stadium was packed to the rafters and the air was thick with a mixture of tension and anticipation. Expectations had been raised by the return of striker Mirko Vucinic. He had played, and scored, in last week’s friendly against Albania and I considered him to be instrumental in deciding today’s result.

My thoughts turned to my meeting with the striker almost two years before. “Mirko, your goals will take us to the World Cup.” I had told him then, now I just prayed that I was right.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOK0CM4ZNSk"]Highlights - Montenegro v Sweden[/ame]

(for viewing results watch in 720hp HD)

Last edited:
Woo! Mirko :wub: Fantastic result Dan, looked like a 4-2-3-1 for this game? The third goal was awesome.

great to see vucinic back on the scoresheet dan. Some really good football played there too. well done mate

A NEW HOPE

picture.php

picture.php

As the final whistle blew Damjan Andric was left speechless. Montenegro had just comprehensively beaten their Swedish counterparts 4-0, but it was the manner of the win that had left the journalist dumbfounded. For ninety minutes the team had played a style of football so captivating that had he not witnessed it with his own eyes Damjan would never have believed it possible.

There was now an outside chance that this Montenegro team could achieve the holy grail of a place at the World Cup finals. The thought that these players could be rubbing shoulders with the worlds greatest was almost too much for the usually sombre reporter to take in. Pulling himself together he clicked the send button on his email to ensure his match report was dispatched and received in time for the paper’s morning edition.

The events of the last month had been something of an epiphany for Damjan. He had rediscovered his love for the national side and learnt that it is acceptable to give oneself over to sanguinity once in a while. He had also formed a friendship and bond with a man that he had previously viewed with nothing less than suspicion; it was no coincidence that the man in question happened to be the manager of the Montenegro team.

---------- Post added at 03:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 AM ----------

SATURDAY 13/10/2017

The magnificent win over Sweden would mean nothing if we couldn’t get a result today against Iceland. To us every game was a cup final. Dmitry and I had considered every single detail in our preparations for the game, but now it was the responsibility of the players to turn those plans into reality. If either of us could have pulled on a pair of boots and joined them, believe me, we would have. From the first minute to the last, Dmitry and I were on our feet, jumping and screaming from the technical area like a pair of escaped lunatics.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ_kRzctTfk"]Highlights - Montenegro v Iceland[/ame]

---------- Post added at 03:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 AM ----------

WIN OR BUST

picture.php

picture.php

Only yesterday Mirko Vucinic had scored two goals as Montenegro went about defeating Iceland 4-1, but already the game had been consigned to the history books. In just four days time Vucinic and the rest of the squad would face a tie in Northern Ireland that would decide their World Cup futures once and for all.

Since returning from injury 2 months ago, Vucinic had practically been frozen out of the Roma side. He was a proud man and that he should have to play in meaningless reserve fixtures was an embarassment to him. Joining up with the Montenegrin national team afforded him the opportunity to prove to those who doubted him that he was not "washed up" and that his best days weren't behind him yet. The striker's situation back in the Italian capital only served to make him more determined to be at the World Cup next June.

Vucinic had been considering the possible outcomes and it came down to this; Montenegro were currently second in the table behind Scotland, although there was an outside chance they could qualify automatically in top spot, the lottery of the plays-off seemed a more likely route. However, the striker was acutely aware that to achieve even this Montenegro would need to win in Belfast.

Last edited:
Sorry mate, but Romania's flag, in the video of group drawing, is... a bit changed.... XD
The story? Pro!

couple of great results there mate, and good to see vucinic banging them in again. Good luck against Ireland :)

WEDNESDAY 18/10/2017

It had come to this, ninety minutes of football that would decide our collective fortunes. Two distinct paths lay ahead; the first would see Montenegro take another step closer to the World Cup finals in June, this small nation’s first appearance in the competition. The second path would have the management team and players booking summer holidays on the beach whilst dreaming of what could have been.

The squad had travelled out to Belfast yesterday morning and last night trained on the Windsor Park pitch. The session had not gone well, the players seemed distracted and when Mirko Vucinic had fallen awkwardly, twisting his ankle, my nerves had been tested to their limits. The physio had packed Vucinic’s ankle in ice and an agonising wait followed until he was eventually passed fit to play, just two hours before kick-off.

What was it that thespians said? “A bad dress rehearsal always comes before a good opening night,” I hoped and prayed that this wasn’t just an old wives tale. I wasn’t usually superstitious but tonight I would be crossing everything in the expectation of a positive result. Despite beating Northern Ireland 2-1 in Podgorica, they had caused us enough problems to make me think this match could be problematic.

Top spot in the group was Scotland’s to lose, a draw against Iceland in Reykjavik would be enough to seal their safe passage to Spain 2018. A place in the plays off seemed the most likely outcome for Montenegro, but we would still need to win to be assured of that.

Tonight, for the first time since I had taken charge, I had sung the Montenegrin national anthem for all I was worth. It was a show of solidarity with both the players and the supporters who had made the trip. Afterwards, Dmitry and I returned to the dugout with our arms around each other’s shoulders, unwittingly mirroring the player’s huddle that was happening out on the pitch. I sensed my assistant was as tense as me. “If we fail tonight...” I whispered, but Dmitry put a finger to his lips in a gesture that said don’t give such thoughts the light of day.

Highlights - WCQ Group 9, Final Day

(For best viewing results watch in 720hp HD)

Unbelievable stuff. Excellent update, the live tables and switching between games was awesome. I was actually cheering iceland on to get that goal. congratulations on reaching the world cup and a great story

Woo! Well done Dan. extraordinary set of results there, you lucky *******!

Nice update Dan, enjoying the video highlights!

Unbelievable stuff. Excellent update, the live tables and switching between games was awesome.

Nice update Dan, enjoying the video highlights!

Cheers guys, I'm really pleased you enjoyed that update, the video took a while to create! 8-|

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

A HEAVY HEART

picture.php

Shortly after the final whistle sounded in Montenegro’s 5-3 victory over Northern Ireland, news filtered through of Iceland’s late goal in Reykjavik. Following a short, but agonising wait, Iceland’s 1-0 win against Scotland was confirmed, Montenegro had qualified for next summer’s World Cup finals.

Cue wild celebrations. The players carried hat-trick hero Mirko Vucinic aloft their shoulders, manager Dan Lake was given an unwarranted ice-bath and champagne corks popped whilst the singing was both loud and raucous. However, there was one member of the Montenegro staff who was notably quiet. The assistant manager Dmitry Los’kov had been an integral part of the management team. He was as responsible for the squad’s success as anyone, and he was extremely proud of their achievement, but tonight Dmitry thought’s occupied a dark place and he wasn’t of the right mind to celebrate.

Someone thrust the bottle of champagne into Dmitry’s hand. He took a swig, the bubbles shot up his nose and ran down his chin onto his shirt. Not one for Champagne, he had never really seen the attraction, Dmitry yearned for a “real drink” but not here surrounded by these joyous scenes. He chose his moment to leave carefully; the manager was holding court in the centre of the dressing room, giving his victory speech to the players. With everyone’s attention diverted Dmitry silently slipped out the door and headed into Belfast where he would find a quiet bar somewhere so that he, and his despair, could drink in peace.

“But of course, we wouldn’t be celebrating today if wasn’t for the efforts of my assistant manager and my close friend.” Announced Dan Lake and a hush descended upon the room. “Dmitry, come up here comrade.”
But Lake’s request was met by silence.

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

ABSENT FRIENDS

picture.php

The seat next to me on the plane was empty. It had been reserved for my assistant Dmitry Los’kov, but he had not been present when the team checked in for the flight home. In fact, I hadn’t seen my friend and colleague since the post game celebrations began.

He had tried to hide it, but recently Dmitry’s drinking was becoming common place and I was genuinely concerned for a man who I had long regarded as a brother. Journalist Damjan Andric came over and broke my chain of thought. It was routine for representatives of the press to travel with the Montenegro squad for away games, and in recent times Damjan and I had struck up a friendship. Each of us still distrusted the other’s chosen profession somewhat, but we had discovered that we shared many similar views on the beautiful game.
“Where is Mr Los’kov?” Enquired the reporter. Damjan never used Dmitry’s Christian name, but this was unsurprising given that my assistant had such a low opinion of him and that he had never tried to conceal it.
“He stayed on to visit friends in England” I answered. If the journalist spotted that this was a lie he did not question it.
“I guess I owe you an apology Dan, I never would have believed that my country would play in the world cup. I gave you quite a hard time in the beginning.”
Despite seeing a change in the tone of Damjan’s column recently, he had never come close to admitting that he had altered his opinion of me. “That’s ok Damjan, I never read your newspaper anyway!” I joked. “The FA needs a new press officer, why don’t you apply for the job? Then you could make an honest living.”
“Writing propaganda to boost your ego? I don’t think that’s so honest!”
We both laughed. “On a serious note though, I would like to ask something of you Damjan.”
“Really?” He replied curiously.
“Yes, when we arrive in Spain next summer I’d like somebody to record my thoughts, a diary of sorts. I was thinking of you.”
“Sounds interesting, but I don’t know what my editor will think of the idea.” Damjan paused before deciding to sit down in Dmitry’s vacant seat. “We have a couple of hours before we land, why don’t you tell me more over a drink.”
I smiled and pressed the “call” button to draw the attention of the stewardess.

A FRIEND IN NEED

picture.php

I had been back in Montenegro for three days now, but I had still not seen nor heard from my assistant manager. My initial concern had turned to real fear that something dreadful had happened to him back in Northern Ireland. I was considering telephoning the Belfast hospitals before deciding that I would first visit Ana Los’kov, Dmitry’s wife. Surely she would know what was going on.

When I arrived at Dmitry’s apartment block in Podgorica the concierge recognised me and allowed me into the building. The Los’kov family lived on the top floor and the elevator journey seemed to take an age.
Taking a deep breath I knocked on the apartment door. There was no answer but instinctively I tried the door handle, it was unlocked.

Inside the apartment it was a mess, papers, takeaway boxes and empty vodka bottles littered the floor. I hadn’t noticed it when I was stood in the corridor, but now that I was inside I could clearly hear a TV playing. Walking through an archway leading to the living room I could see a figure slouched in an armchair, his back toward me. The only light in the room came from the flickering television set on which a football match was being played out.
“Dmitry?” I called out but I got no response. I moved forward until I stood between the seated figure and the TV. From here I could make out their face, it was Dmitry and he looked terrible. He was unshaven and was dressed only in a dirty old shirt and underpants. I audibly sighed with relief but my friend did not acknowledge me, instead he stared straight through me as if I were a ghost.

“Los’kov scores with a towering header!” screamed the commentator behind me. Dmitry had been watching a DVD of his own playing days. He had been quite a player in his time, a creative midfielder with an eye for a pass and an explosive shot. He was still regarded as a legend by Locomotiv Moscow fans and he had also collected 25 international caps.
“Where the **** have you been?” I yelled as relief gave way to anger. Dmitry snapped out of his trance and looked up at me with bloodshot eyes. He didn’t reply, he just hunched his shoulders and began to sob quietly. The man was clearly drunk and once again I became concerned for him. I knelt alongside my friend and cradled him in my arms as I whispered words of comfort.

Eventually the sobbing stopped, replaced by short shallow breaths. I silenced the TV and headed for the kitchen, for differing reasons, right now we both needed a strong black coffee.
As I handed the steaming mug to Dmitry he whispered, “sorry.” I couldn’t help thinking that this apology was uttered to himself as much as it was meant for me.
“Please talk to me my friend. Tell me what is happening, I want to help.” I tried to reassure him. “Where are Ana and Alexi?”
The Los’kovs had two sons, at 11 years old Alexi was the youngest.
After taking a sip of coffee, Dmitry spoke without looking up. “They are in Moscow... with Vitaly. It is not good.”
Vitaly Los’kov was Dmitry and Ana’s eldest son. He would be 18 now and was a promising footballer. He was similar in appearance and technique to his father, and he had signed a youth contract with CSKA Moscow. Dmitry was very proud of his son and never usually missed an opportunity to talk about how he was going to be a famous name in the sport, but I now realised that he had not spoken of Vitaly in a long while.
“Vitaly is in a lot of trouble. His football career is over.”
“Wh.. bu.. I don’t understand?” I stammered.
“It started after I left Rubin Kazan, Vitaly had started gambling and I found out he owed a lot of money to some very serious people.
He came to me and Ana for help and, even though it almost left us penniless, we gave him the money he needed. But it didn’t stop there, he broke the promises he made to his mother and me, he carried on gambling. Soon he owed even more money.”
“They... they...” The words caught in Dmitry’s throat and he shook as he continued. “When Vitaly could not pay they broke his legs. They shattered his knee and now he will never play football again.”
I struggled to comprehend all that Dmitry was telling me. I now realised why my friend had become so troubled in the past two years, I was angry that he had not told me about this situation earlier and I was feeling guilty for not having been there to support him and his family.
Vitaly had been released by CSKA Moscow and, when no other club would take him on, he had become seriously depressed. Two weeks ago the young man had attempted to take his own life and he was currently in hospital in Russia. This was where Ana and Alexi had gone to visit him.
“Vitaly needs proper medical help but Ana and I can’t afford it. I am scared Dan, I am afraid that my son will kill himself.”
Without hesitation I offered to pay for any medical attention that Vitaly needed. Dmitry tried to refuse but I would not let his pride stop me from helping him. Behind the tears in his eyes, I could tell that he was truely grateful.
“And when he is well I will support him in moving his life forward too, be it college or work, whatever it is he chooses to do. But you must agree to do something for me in return Dmitry.”
“Anything my friend, you name it.”
“You must sort yourself out, you must get help and get sober.”
Dmitry nodded in silent agreement.

Last edited:
Very good update Dan, no idea what's happening next which is always good. Good luck for the 2018 draw.

Just a quick note to say congrats Dan, yours is the fiurst story to qualify to the voting list in the Story of the Year competition.

Just a quick note to say congrats Dan, yours is the fiurst story to qualify to the voting list in the Story of the Year competition.

It's nice to know the story has some admirers. A big thank you to everyone who has nominated this story, it's much appreciated. :)

Very good update Dan, no idea what's happening next which is always good. Good luck for the 2018 draw.

Cheers Joss. I'm back at work now so the updates my slow down a bit, but look out for the World Cup draw soon! ;)

great update. Your writing is fantastic mate. Congratulations on the nominations too, you really deserve it. It's good to see this story getting recognition