The Rise and Fall of Bolton Wanderers

leckuno

Reaction score
277px-Bolton_Wanderers_FC_logo.svg10bb549d8dcaa9e4a.png

History

Bolton Wanderers Football Club is a professional football club in Bolton, Greater Manchester, England, which competes in EFL League One, the third tier of English football. Formed as Christ Church Football Club in 1874, it adopted its current name in 1877 and was a founder member of the Football League in 1888. Bolton have spent more seasons than any other club in the top flight without winning the title. They finished third in the First Division in 1891–92, 1920–21 and 1924–25. Bolton won the FA Cup three times in the 1920s, and again in 1958. The club spent a season in the Fourth Division in 1987–88 before regaining top-flight status in 1995 and qualifying for the UEFA Cup twice, reaching the last 32 in 2005–06 and the last 16 in 2007–08.

The club played at Burnden Park for 102 years from 1895. On 9 March 1946, thirty-three Bolton fans lost their lives in a human crush, the Burnden Park disaster. In 1997, Bolton moved to the Reebok Stadium, renamed the Macron Stadium in 2014 and University of Bolton Stadium in 2018.

Since 2015, Bolton has been in severe financial difficulties, and went into administration in May 2019. Facing possible EFL expulsion. On 28 August, Bolton announced that the club's sale to Football Ventures (Whites) Limited had been completed, with the administrator paying tribute to the Eddie Davies Trust and their legal team, and criticising Ken Anderson who had "used his position as a secured creditor to hamper and frustrate any deal that did not benefit him or suit his purposes.

We will be plying our trade in League One this season starting on -12 points to make it even harder to try and escape the relegation battle which will be made even harder with the expulsion of Bury from the league only leaving 23 teams to fight it out.

Stadium

The University of Bolton Stadium is a football stadium situated in Horwich, Greater Manchester, England. It is the home ground of Bolton Wanderers F.C.

Opening in 1997, it was named the Reebok Stadium, after club sponsors Reebok. In 2014, Bolton Wanderers signed a naming rights deal with Italian sportswear company Macron. It was renamed the University of Bolton Stadium in 2018. It has a capacity of 28,018.

Expectations and Budget

We are expected to be in a relegation dog fight this season which is true since we are starting 12 points a drift from everybody else. Budget wise we have £0 to spend on transfers, for the wage budget we have just shy of £3,000 pounds to bring in some loan players.​

The Squad

bolton60dd2a629ead6997.png

Overall for where we are in the league and what is expected of us I think the squad is actually in pretty good shape. Sure we could improve certain area's if we had a bit of money to spend but that isn't going to happen. The squad seems to have a good mix of youth and experience which should see us through this season and then it will probably have to be a complete rebuild going forward as I see next season being much harder.

In Goal Alnwick will be our number 1 for the season unless we get a steal on a loan keeper.
In Defence we will have Emmanuel - Brockbank - Hobbs - Earl
In Midfield we will have Birdcutt - Lowe - Buckley - Crawford - Verlinden
Up front the experienced Daryl Murphy will be leading the line.

This Season's Vision

jnrhAMN.png

All in all I feel we should meet each of these with the squad that we have here and can hopefully even further them as a cup run in the FA Cup would really help the finances and give us a chance of a bigger budget for next season.

To help us meet these needs we have been very lucky and confirmed Chelsea as a parent team to help secure some talented youngsters over the next few seasons​

Preseason

kZup7cq.png

I'm not going to lie the preseason results weren't too much of a shock. Sure they weren't as good as I would of liked with us throwing away two 2-0 leads in a row to lose 3-2 to Morton and Cardiff but what this was really about was getting a brand new squad to gel and get to know each other. The fact we managed a respectable 3-3 draw against QPR certainly shows that we're doing something right and its only a matter of time until everybody starts to learn what everyone else can do.

During preseason I got a lovely call from the chairman to let me know that we will now be repaying £500,000 a month until 2026 to pay off the loan the chairman has given the club. I'm not really sure where this money has gone but it certainly seems like she travelled down to Manchester in the summer and got a few tips from the Glazers on how to bleed a club dry through loan replayments.

Transfers

As I mentioned before we managed to get Chelsea as a Parent Club so straight away I went in and brought in Billy Gilmour who can hopefully add a bit of creativity in midfield. We also snapped up Marc Guehi just to provide a bit more cover at the back as he is extremely versatile and can play right across the back four positions. Its even better since Chelsea are picking up all of their wages.

We had one bit of good fortune and were able to get some funds in by selling an addon clause for Zach Clough which was worth £500k but we managed to sell it for £361k adding £250k to our transfer kitty. I moved all of this to our wage budget which meant I could then bring in Rhian Brewster to add some youth to our strikers. We pick up all of his £6,000 a week salary which in my eyes is worth it as he instantly becomes our best striker.

Tactic

The tactic I have chosen for this season is a 4-2-3-2 with a DM and an AMC which may seem a bit strange but I feel with this team it will get the best out of us going forward and defensively. With the players coming in I have decided to make some changes to my preferred XI when everybody is fit.

UZhszr0.png

August

IqvBcAs.png

I'm not going to lie we could of got a much harder opening month so I am fairly confident we should be close to catching up with the rest of the teams starting with 0 points by the end of it along with making it through to the second round of the cup.

August

Wycombe v Bolton

dAQLrjx.png

What a start to our campaign as Crawford gets us off to an excellent start with slotting home from the penalty spot. Verlinden then continues early in the second off before getting a last minute goal to show that we are serious about making a push up the table. We lose Brewster here for 3-4 weeks after a bad tackle.

Bolton v Coventry

vNKhxeR.png

Next up we face a tough Coventry team who will be pushing for the playoffs this season. The opening 20 minutes is a proper end to end game with us both taking our chances and going in at half time 2-2. Emmanuel went in with a horrible two footed challenge and really deserved the red card he received. Coventry took their chance and looked to be on for the win before we strike back with two goals in the final 10 minutes to grab a massive win when we only had 10 minutes.

Carabao Cup 1st Round
Carlisle United v Bolton

G2C7lJw.png

We fielded a weekend team here to give players a rest and we really struggled here but thankfully we made a couple of substitutions before full time and it paid off with them scoring the opening penalties. We move onto the second round where we will travel down the road to face Salford City.

Tranmere Rovers v Bolton

48oB499.png

We welcome everybody back into the match day squad today but we sadly struggle but Dodoo comes on with 10 minutes to go and grabs a well deserved winner with just a few minutes remaining.

Bolton V Doncaster Rovers

m9Q9uWz.png

We really get back into full swing here with Murphy still showing what he can do at this level as he bags a perfect hat-trick to get us back on 0 points after only 4 games which was above expectation.

Bolton v Ipswich

A1SOLJN.png

One of the biggest matches of the season as we face an automatic promotion contender in Ipswich and its that man again in Murphy who not only gets us back in the game after falling 1-0 behind but he then goes and grabs the winner right at the death to get us moving up the table properly now.

Carabao Cup 2nd Round
Salford v Bolton

AKO4qmx.png

We rotate her again since we were playing lower league opposition but we just couldn't put them away which is disappointing considering some of the players we have to come in for this level. It was good to see Rhian Brewster come back in during the second half though and for him to score a penalty to see us through to the Third round where we now face Blackburn away from home

Gillingham v Bolton

SCzVyGG.png

A much better performance now we are back to the league and its great to see Brewster get his first league goal of the season so hopefully its the first of many and he can hopefully fire us up the league.

League

w8pQUX9.png

The league is starting to look a lot healthier now that we sit in 13th spot. Now time to make a push further up and try and take one of the playoff spots.

September

XLJiOTd.png

Another tough month coming up as we face Sunderland and Portsmouth in the league but these are the types of challenges we get into management for.

September
EFL Checkatrade Trophy North Grp E
Bolton v Shrewsbury

hwxy8P0.png

Not how I wanted to start this competition as I feel its something we can actually challenge for if we throw the right players at it but luckily we manage to scrape through on penalties. One downside to the game is we lose Brewster again for 3 weeks.

Rotherham United v Bolton

AWGDFn4.png

We come roaring back here with an amazing win as we manage to score all 5 goals going. Politic is certainly showing that he is capable of being a very reliable back up if not pushing for the first team.

Bolton v Oxford United

2F83bWD.png

Good to get back to keeping a clean sheet as our defence is what is really keeping us in these games and getting us the wins but the two goals certainly helped as well.

Bolton v Sunderland

4b6fid2.png

This was always going to be a tough match but going ahead after 6 minutes was certainly unexpected. As we get closer to half hour mark though its more what I was expecting with us giving away a penalty and then falling behind 6 minutes later. I tear into the team at half time though as we were lucky to only be down by a goal at that point. Brewster makes his first appearance since his injury coming off the bench in the 55th minute and the Sunderland defence just don't know how to cope with him as he tears them to shreds and gets us a brilliant 3 points.

Carabao Cup 3rd Round
Blackburn Rovers v Bolton

vrG6jkw.png

Defensively here it was a perfect performance as Blackburn just couldn't get a shot on target against us but we couldn't take our chances either but we seem to be making a habit of sneaking through cup games on penalties just now.

Portsmouth v Bolton

ZjkTVEt.png

Another tough game in the league as we travel to Portsmouth but our Sottish defensive midfielder puts in a man of the match performance while the Scotland manager was in the stands and he single handedly wins the game for us

League

U2eg0qK.png

We move into the playoff positions now so the hard bit begins now with us trying to remain there and put a push in for the automatic positions now.

October

SCa0WTe.png

A much easier month in the league this time but we also travel down south at the end of the month to play the 4th round of the Carabao Cup against Watford.

Last edited:
October

Bolton v Blackpool

1ARydSC.png

A really poor match from us here as we just couldn't get going the whole match but we scrape through when Tilt turns the ball into his net when trying to clear the ball from 3 yards out.

EFL Checkatrade Trophy North Grp E
Bolton v Leicester City U23's

ndOVWvI.png

We put out a strong team here thinking that this was going to be a tough match here depending on who Leicester were going to drop into their U23's but luckily they decided not to and Murphy made them pay from the penalty spot with Buckley also getting two great goals off the left wing.

Bolton v Rochdale

xXv0ISQ.png

Well we finally drop our finally drop our first points of the season and it was a really poor game here and came too soon after the Leicester game so it resulted on us rotating players here.

Bristol Rovers v Bolton

ISkNz3b.png

A game that we showed a great presance going forward but our defence also showed us up here. We were just lucky Brewster is such a god striker and was able to get the goal with less than 10 minute remaining.

Lincoln v Bolton

zhvw9RM.png

This result really flattered us here as Lincoln ran riot against us getting shot after shot off with only Ben Alnwick keeping us in the game with a Man of the Match performance

Carabao Cup 4th Round
Watford v Bolton

What a game here as we went out fully expecting to get battered by a much stronger team but Watford just didn't turn up for large portions of the game. When we went 1-0 down I really expected us to concede again quickly but we manage to hold it to half time. At half time I sit the lads down and tell them they can still go out there and cause a massive upset and it works as we go out and get two quick goals. I thought we were good value for the win until we conceded in the 80th minute. Luckily at the moment in the cups we seem to be able to beat anybody if it goes to penalties though as we now march onto the quarter finals.

6IlKcjf.png

League

d861Z6W.png

The league is still looking really good for us as we now only sit 6 points off of top spot.

November

3EmkId3.png

Incredible stuff mate! To be in the playoff spots already from a -12 start is amazing!!

Incredible stuff mate! To be in the playoff spots already from a -12 start is amazing!!
Cheers mate. The squad they have the start is actually pretty good for that level as they have plenty of players who use to play in the championship. Most of their contracts expire at the end of the season though so probably be another rebuild

Table looks great and it's even more impressive when you consider the -12 starting position! I've just got great odds on you getting automatic promotion this season so don't let me down or me, the wife and kids will be living in the car! :p

November

Bolton v Fleetwood Town

NTHyW24.png

Going up against the team above us in the league and it was a tough match and we got very lucky here thanks to Brewster showing his quality in this league to get us a lucky point.

FA Cup 1st Round
Ebbsfleet United v Bolton

0KKaYw4.png

Thanks to playing a lower league team we are able to rotate a large amount of the starting XI here and able to play a few youngsters. We did struggle but luckily Crawford came on and was able to send us to the second round to face Rochdale.

[bMorecambe v Bolton[/b]

K53Fj7b.png

Everybody comes back into the starting lineup here and the quality shines through as we run out well deserved winners with Brown coming on for his debut and grabbing a nice goal to go with it.

Bolton v MK Dons

yxNCaiQ.png

We get very lucky here as MK Dons manage to undo themselves with two terrible defensive errors that resulted in 2 own goals which was enough to give us a lucky 3 points.

Accrington Stanley v Bolton

YjXMkhH.png

We were really made to work for the 3 points here right up until the end when our extra fitness here helped with the two goals in the final 3 minutes.

FA Cup 2nd Round
Rochdale v Bolton

qO0aaox.png

We put out a strong team here as the third round is the first decent chance of gate receipts so we needed to make sure we made it and it was Brewster who was the difference again.

League

1BOKEup.png

December

Gwco21w.png

December

Burton Albion v Bolton

hFiHUIO.png

A very tough game here but Birdcutt is making a habit of scoring goals in these sorts of game and he guts us the three points.

Bolton v AFC Wimbledon

QbhkpHV.png

With games set to come thick and fast this month we try and rotate a couple of players and we struggle again but luckily Brewster grabs the only goal of the game.

EFL Checkatrade Trophy North 2nd Round
Bolton v Macclesfield Town

5WSYKhU.png

Another cup tie and another win by penalty win as we march onto the next round. I thought we were getting past this after last month but we march on so that is all that matters.

Bolton v Peterborough United

z4Oi2En.png

Conceding on the brink of half time meant I tear up my half time team talk but after a few changes we manage to bring it back to a respectable draw with 5 minutes to go

Carabao Cup Quarter Final
Bolton v Tottenham Hotspur

2XaxWk1.png

We are dumped out of the cup but its a great way to go out to only lose 1-0 to a team playing in the champions league. I really didn't want the two legs of the semi final in January to make fixture list even heavier.

Bolton v Southend United

Cp5xAEN.png

This was such a disappointing game we got off to a flyer with a great opening goal in the second minute but we just couldn't capitalise on the quick start and Southend grab one back 20 minutes later. They then go down to 10 men but again we can't take advantage of it as we're lucky to stay in the game.

Sunderland v Bolton

QmeyPvv.png

And our world comes v crashing down as we get our first defeat of the season against a much better team on the day as they just blew us out the water. Hopefully after the draws and this the wheels aren't going to come off.

Bolton v Shrewsbury Town

A very important win here after our dip in form over the last few games but we leave it late and its another youngster who is taking their chance.

HcOXdRA.png

League

E26jAZa.png

January

Tm2rSUi.png

Youth

We get our youth update and it certainly looks promising with those golden words that every manager wants to see "Golden Generation"

lEwRkNY.png

Finances

So with the year coming to an end I thought I would give a quick update on our finances since we are paying out £400,000 a month in loan repayments and it doesn't make pretty reading

njYrUDo.png

With this the board have been very generous and slashed our wage budget by £20,000 a week so there will be no new signings in January

93aQJ2v.png

One positive piece of news is that I can sell a sell on clause for Rob Holding for £6.5 million but I would rather hold onto that until the same to make the most of any funds got from it.

December

Burton Albion v Bolton

hFiHUIO.png

A very tough game here but Birdcutt is making a habit of scoring goals in these sorts of game and he guts us the three points.

Bolton v AFC Wimbledon

QbhkpHV.png

With games set to come thick and fast this month we try and rotate a couple of players and we struggle again but luckily Brewster grabs the only goal of the game.

EFL Checkatrade Trophy North 2nd Round
Bolton v Macclesfield Town

5WSYKhU.png

Another cup tie and another win by penalty win as we march onto the next round. I thought we were getting past this after last month but we march on so that is all that matters.

Bolton v Peterborough United

z4Oi2En.png

Conceding on the brink of half time meant I tear up my half time team talk but after a few changes we manage to bring it back to a respectable draw with 5 minutes to go

Carabao Cup Quarter Final
Bolton v Tottenham Hotspur

2XaxWk1.png

We are dumped out of the cup but its a great way to go out to only lose 1-0 to a team playing in the champions league. I really didn't want the two legs of the semi final in January to make fixture list even heavier.

Bolton v Southend United

Cp5xAEN.png

This was such a disappointing game we got off to a flyer with a great opening goal in the second minute but we just couldn't capitalise on the quick start and Southend grab one back 20 minutes later. They then go down to 10 men but again we can't take advantage of it as we're lucky to stay in the game.

Sunderland v Bolton

QmeyPvv.png

And our world comes v crashing down as we get our first defeat of the season against a much better team on the day as they just blew us out the water. Hopefully after the draws and this the wheels aren't going to come off.

Bolton v Shrewsbury Town

A very important win here after our dip in form over the last few games but we leave it late and its another youngster who is taking their chance.

HcOXdRA.png

League

E26jAZa.png

January

Tm2rSUi.png

Youth

We get our youth update and it certainly looks promising with those golden words that every manager wants to see "Golden Generation"

lEwRkNY.png

Finances

So with the year coming to an end I thought I would give a quick update on our finances since we are paying out £400,000 a month in loan repayments and it doesn't make pretty reading

njYrUDo.png

With this the board have been very generous and slashed our wage budget by £20,000 a week so there will be no new signings in January

93aQJ2v.png

One positive piece of news is that I can sell a sell on clause for Rob Holding for £6.5 million but I would rather hold onto that until the same to make the most of any funds got from it.

Who did Spurs get in the semis of the carabao cup?

Still doing well in the league. You've become the master of a goal a game it seems ;)