The rise of Fulham

• Thread starter Thread starter mask0991
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1K
  • Views Views 286K
Capital One Cup 2016-17: Final

5 mins left before the game. I selected a team with 4231 formation, both because it's one of my preferred ones and Liverpool apparently struggle against it. It was time for one final team talk.
"Alright lads, we're here in the final. You know who else has made their way along with us to the final? Fans! They celebrated with us in victories and they mourned with us in losses. Let's do it for them. Let's give them one more reason to cheer!", I said in a passionate tone.
Balanta, who was the skipper for the day rallied the troops. "We can do it boys."

Final result:

View attachment 286456

Hurrah! Second league cup title in a row for us. Fantastic victory. We took the lead in the 19th minute against the run of play as Liverpool had the better chances. Jones, who won the ball in our half played a 60 yard long ball to find a smart run by Woodrow that got the better of Liverpool defense. 1v1 with the keeper, Woodrow wasn't gonna miss and he made it 1-0 with his 25th goal of the season.

However, it didn't take Liverpool long to draw level. I was taking a slight risk with a high defensive line and it came back to bite us. Liverpool hit us on the counter and Walcott's pace down our left flank opened us badly at the back. When Walcott crossed, Ankersen was there for an easy tap in. And he made it 1-1. **** it!

It was all Liverpool for the remainder of the first half. But our high defensive line did its job after conceding the goal as they were caught offisde several times. 45 mins finished at Wembley and we're still in the game despite Liverpool dominating. I told the lads to focus on the game and play with clear minds.

We came close to taking the lead early in the second half twice. Roberts missed a sitter after Woodrow played him through for a 1v1 with the keeper. Hyndman's free kick fron 20 yards hit the cross bar and the ball fell to Woodrow whose shot was tame and Mignolet saved it easily. Liverpool had more chances but not as clear-cut as ours. They were pushing us back and putting the pressure on us. But things changed when we got a corner in the 80th minute. Baselli's corner was pushed away by Mignolet to Hyndman at the edge of the box, who found Amorebieta with a cute pass. The center back stayed forward after the corner and found himself with a glorious chance to put us ahead. And he did. A striker's finish from the defender. We're 2-1 up with 10 mins to go.

I told the players to calm down and concentrate on the game. I took a risk by bringing on a third centerback Dan Burn instead of Patrick Roberts. It could've backfired but we didn't give Liverpool a chance of getting back into the game. And the final whistle by ref. Chris Foy was music to my ears and I didn't have anymore nails left on my hand to bite off.

We did it. 2-1 victory over Liverpool and we claim our second League Cup title in 2 seasons. Fantastic achievement by the lads. Amorebieta was adjudged the player of the match for his winning goal and some solid defending at the back.
l4UNds4.jpg

This save is so good it's made me want to start my own Fulham save!

Roberts injured!

Two days after the League Cup victory, everyone returned to the training after the one-day rest. There were a lot of tired faces after partying but we must move on. We still have to finish well in the league as a champions league spot in within our grasp.

But one player looked particularly troubled on the morning of the training. It was Patrick Roberts. The 20 year old started limping just minutes into the training session. He took a knock during the Liverpool game but it didn't look bad at that time. However, things got worse in the training session today. Roberts over-estimated his ability and strained his knee. Mark Taylor, the head physio took a quick look at the situation and told it wasn't looking very good.

After more detailed tests, he sent me a report saying Roberts will be out for a month or more. This is a big blow for us as Roberts has been quite good on the right flank and provided much needed pace and acceleration to an otherwise slow side of ours.

Roberts was the only natural right winger/inside forward in our team. It'll be upto George Williams to occupy that position for the time being. Williams is quite accomplished in that role but he is much more creative and attacking on the left. He has started a few games for us on the right flank but has always been my second choice for that role. Ross McCormack, who usually plays as a false nine is another candidate for the right wing job.

This save is so good it's made me want to start my own Fulham save!
Cheers!

Fulham are a pretty good team. They have a lot of U21 players who have the potential to become quality Premier league players in the future. :)

Cheers!

Fulham are a pretty good team. They have a lot of U21 players who have the potential to become quality Premier league players in the future. :)

I've put Roberts, Williams and Woodrow straight in and they've scored about 8 between themselves in the first month!

View attachment 286273
BALANTA'S FIRST GOAL FOR FULHAM SECURES 3 POINTS!

Balanta scored his first goal for us in his 3rd season here, and it was crucial in securing 3 points for us! We started with confidence and took the lead through a Woodrow header. A Kacaniklic's cross from the left was met firmly by the head of Woodrow, who made a well timed forward run into the box.

We took a well-deserved 2 goal lead in the second half when Balanta connected with a Finnbogason's cross into the box. The captain wad delighted with his first goal for the club. He ran towards me and gave me a big hug. He was clearly delighted. After all, it was his first goal for us.

2-0 up with 2 mins to go - I thought we had another clean sheet in the bag. But Richario Zivkovic spoiled it for us. Nathaniel Clyne's throw in resulted in a whipped cross by Steven Davis from our left and Zivkovic made good contact to pull one back. But it was too late for Soton to pull off an upset and we won the game 2-1. All three goals were headed goals, which is something interesting.

In other news, our run of 5 games without conceding came to an end.

FA Cup 2016-17: Quarter Final

A highly dominating performance, especially in the first half. We scored three goals, had close to 70% of the possession and kept Watford pegged in their own half in the first 45 minutes. Williams started on the right flank as a wide midfielder and I gave him the freedom to push forward and cut inside. The tactic worked very well especially with Woodrow playing as a deep lying forward. In the 12th minute, Woodrow's movement off the ball slightly behind Finnbogason disoriented the Watford defense, allowing Williams to time a good run into the box. Hyndman played it to Woodrow, who slipped one into Williams' path and the Welsh international hammered home our first goal.

Balanta, who scored his first goal for Fulham in our last game added to his tally with a thumping header of a corner. Balanta beat his man at the near post and made good contact with Hyndman's corner. Watford's gameplan was being undone. We took a commanding 3-0 lead through Woodrow, who has now scored in 8 of our last 10 games. Woodrow was played in by Williams and the Woodrow unleashed his signature strike, a powerful strike that gave the keeper hardly any time to react.

The second half saw us dominate more but Watford were much better than the first half. They had a couple of good chances but their play in the attacking third was sloppy. We still dominated possession and came close to scoring a fourth. Ruiz, who came on as a substitute for Finnbogason grazed the bar with his freekick from 25 yards. The game finished 3-0 and we go through to the semi-finals of the FA Cup.
View attachment 286262

FA CUP SEMI FINAL DRAW
West Ham knocked out Liverpool in the sixth round with a 2-0 victory at Olympic stadium. Chelsea booked their semi-final berth with a 2-0 victory over Newcastle at Stamford bridge. West Brom are the remaining team to progress through.
We got a bit lucky with the semi-final draw. West Ham have proven time and again to be tough contenders for us and Chelsea are dangerous. I am glad we were able to avoid them both.
r8xJpYL.png

TRAINING SESSION UPDATE
When I reached the stadium today, I saw the players already warming up and several of our coaches were involved with the players, assisting them with their individual training regimes. However, there was one player missing from yesterday. It was my first choice right back Mikael Lustig. I approached Baresi to ask him about that but I was telling myself "Please don't be an injury! Please don't."

And my worst fear was confirmed by Baresi. Mikael Lustig is out for 2-3 weeks according to Mark Taylor, our head physio. As always, I asked Taylor to send me an official report with all the injuries.
Z0CFKyv.png
Roberts is still 2 weeks from full recovery and Lustig is out for 2-3 weeks. On a better note, Christensen is returning to full fitness and should be available for selection in under 10 days, after being out for 3 months. It might take him a week or two to be back to his best but atleast it's good news.

YOUTH CANDIDATES
Huw Jennings, who is our head of youth development informed me about the new intake of youth and invited me to attend their game with the U18 squad. I agreed. I want to build the club around the club's youth academy and this would be a good chance to see these youngsters in action. There were some exciting prospects. The game ended 2-1, with the youth team winning. A few players impressed, and I also asked my coaches to give their thoughts regarding the players.
5F8eFfx.png
I might offer youth contracts to some of these lads.

A good performance from our players. Williams opened the scoring for second game in a row as he latched onto a Woodrow's through ball before slotting it in the corner of the net. We've been very productive in the 16th to 30th minute mark this season and continue to do so. We had a great chance to go 2-0 up in the 45th minute but Woodrow uncharacteristically failed to connect and squandered the chance. Besides these two moments, the first half was closely contested.

Norwich started the second half with more intent. We knew it was coming and we focused on keeping hold of the ball in the early stages of second half. 20 mins into the half, we took a 2-0 lead. Baselli who is not known for his ability in the air got on the end of a Williams' cross from the right and directed a thumping header towards goal. 2-0 up and we were looking really good. Norwich had a few chances in the half as well but didn't trouble the scorers. We had a wonderful opportunity to go 3-0 up in the closing moments of the game but Baselli sent the shot way wide in a 1 on 1 chance after being played marginally onside by the Norwich defense.

We kept a cleansheet and got our 7th win in a row!

THE LEAGUE STATUS:
So, that was our 7th league win in a row and 11th game in a row without defeat. We're doing rather well off late in the league. Coupled with Man United's loss to Hull at The Circle, we leapfrogged them to the third place in the league with 2 points behind Liverpool, while having a game in hand. Arsenal who've been in the top four for a good portion of the season have faded away after 4 losses in their last 5 league games. Chelsea still occupy the pole position.

This should summarize the league at the moment and explain our scenario. We have some really tough games coming up. We face United, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea in four consecutive games. These are going to be huge tests for us and our credentials.
PiATi4u.png

Spurs are one of the few teams I have never beaten and it's nice to get my first win over them. Spurs are struggling in the 8th spot and I knew going into the match that this was a good chance to beat them.
No Kane?
When I looked at Spurs' teamsheet, I was surprised to see Harry Kane not in the starting XI. I looked at the sub list and he wasn't even there. Was he injured? No. This was rather puzzling because Kane is their highest goal scorer in the league and overall this season. Well, that's already something in my favour.

As for the game, it was a boring one with moments of brilliance from a few players on either side. Both teams had a chance to score in the first half but Woodrow and Gervinho for Fulham and Spurs, respectively were well off target. The second half started in much the same way and the game was bogged down in midfield. Things changed in the 69th minute when an absolute disaster happened for Hugo Lloris. It's better to watch the goal than me explain it. It is one of the most HILARIOUS GOALS I've ever seen.
[video=dailymotion;x2lnjz8]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2lnjz8_fm-15-freak-goal-vs-tottenham_videogames[/video]​
I was laughing on the touchline after the goal, and so were all my coaching staff that were present. Their head coach Solbakken wasn't amused and understandably so.

Gervinho came close to equalizing but his finishing was terrible and Bettinelli didn't have to move a muscle. 90 minutes gone, we've won against Tottenham for the first time under me. We extend our undefeated streak to 12 games.

YOUTH CONTRACTS:
As I mentioned before, I offered youth contracts to a few boys who impressed me with their footballing skills. All of them accepted, which is good news. One of them, in particular stands out with really good attributes for a 15 yr old.

wZejqxl.png

Last edited:
And there goes the undefeated streak. I knew it was gonna end sometime but to lose to 16th placed Cardiff is simply unacceptable. It was a really poor performance and I was appalled at the ridiculously few number of chances we created.

Cardiff took the lead in the 26th minute with a smartly taken short free kick. We should've done slightly better with defending but it was our poor performance by the offense that let us down. I lashed out at the players at the end of the game and they knew exactly why.

However, it wasn't just the defeat that frustrated me. The refereeing was equally ****. I generally don't criticize referees but one decision in particular got me on my nerves.

No card? Come on ref!

Take a look at this tackle by the Cardiff defender. Theophile-Catherine was already on a yellow card and he slid in on Woodrow from behind. The referee blew his whistle for the foul but no card? Come on. That was disgraceful refereeing. My players have gotten straight reds for tackles like that and this time, the referee doesn't even produce a yellow? I blew my top off and went straight to the fourth official and argued with him.
[video=dailymotion;x2lnprc]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2lnprc_fm-15-no-booking-come-on-ref_videogames[/video]​
I asked him for one good reason as to why that wasn't a booking and he told me to go back to my technical area. He didn't have a reason - that was obvious. I wouldn't say that we lost due to that decision but a red card for Cardiff there could've given us a way back into the game. Instead, we lost 1-0. I didn't hold myself back during the post match press conference, and the FA might decide to fine me, but I don't care.

International Break

The international break has come at the perfect time for us. Lasse Vigen Christensen, Patrick Roberts and Mikael Lustig who were all unavailable for the game against Cardiff due to injury are fully fit now. The break has allowed the trio to recuperate and they'll be available for the next game against Swansea. Our first team squad has no injuries at the moment, which is excellent news as we go into the most important part of the season.

Good-bye Scott Parker?
Scott Parker, our club captain has come to me expressing his disappointment about not getting first team football. Jermaine Jones has been doing a good job recently as the ball winner in our midfield and I can't justify dropping him in favour of Parker. Fielding them both is not an option as it'd seriously hurt the creativity and vision in our midfield.
Furthermore, Parker only has 3 months or so left in his contract. Parker's 36 now and his attributes are steadily declining. I am not too keen on renewing his contract currently. So, I told him I'll try to let him leave the club - either on a free transfer at the end of his contract or accept a bid by offering him to clubs.

The calm before the storm...

This game against Swansea is pivotal in our fixture list. After this, we'll face the 'big four' in consecutive games. This is the calm before the storm. Well, kind of.​
View attachment 285866
A much needed victory for so many reasons. First, it lets us forget the loss to Cardiff and try to build on this. Second, this is our last game before we face Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea in the league in consecutive games, and finally, it helps us go on level with Liverpool on points as they could only manage a draw against Man City at Etihad.

Finnbogason got a rare start ahead of the not 100% fit Woodrow and he took his chance. He scored 8 mins before half time by nicely controlling a lobbed pass by Baselli and powering the ball past the keeper. Balanta, who hasn't scored for us in two seasons before got his third in six games with a powerful header from a Baselli corner. He muscled past the Swansea defense and sent the ball into the net with a bullet header. Zabret, Swansea's goalie had no chance.

We went 3-0 up seconds before the hour mark. Baselli was the architect once again. He held the ball with confidence in the midfield before slipping one into the path of Kacaniklic, who chipped one over the keeper. It was a very tidy finish. 3 goals from 3 different players but Daniele Baselli had all the three assists. Like several games this season, he dominated the midfield in an emphatic manner.

The only black mark in an otherwise flawless display by us was Swansea's goal. Swansea's full back intercepted a through ball and started a counter attack. The pace of the counter attack died down as it reached our goal and I thought we had it under control. But Hemed unleashed a 20 yard piledriver which deflected off a diving Bettinelli's hand into the goal. It didn't change things much as we finished the game with a scoreline of 3-1 and 3 vital points.

Since it's getting close to the end of the season, I thought it'll be a good idea to post the results of the teams close to us in the League table. Man City held Liverpool to a draw, which is music to my ears. Chelsea and United won comfortably at home though.

Doing it in style!!!

Absolutely amazing. We fought extremely well against a determined United side. "No pressure. Just play your hearts out." That was all I said to the players before the game and at half time. The only goal came in the 40th minute from Patrick Roberts as he found some space between Evans and Shaw to sidefoot a Kacaniklic's cross into the back of the net.

United started with just one striker, Falcao and Sneijder was playing behind him. Their strategy wasn't all that effective as most of their shots came from outside the box. After going 1-0 down, they brought on Rooney at the start of the second half to strengthen their attack force. They started to threaten our goal with 20 minutes left, and I brought on Parker to pair up with Jones as an additional ball winner and keep United at bay. With 10 minutes to go, it brought memories of my previous meetings with United.

Waves of red shirts bombarded against our 6 man defensive wall. But we held strong. We had a decent chance in the 86th minute against the run of play but Woodrow's shot was well-blocked by Jonny Evans. It looked like the shot would beat De Gea.

Few minutes later, the ref blew the final whistle. I had my arms up in air, looking at the sky and a few of my coaching staff surrounded me and gave me a hug. They all knew what a big victory this is for us. The players stayed on the pitch after the final whistle and shook hands with the United players. Before leaving the pitch, they applauded the fans for their support. They have been brilliant for us. Everytime we played at home, they were the tailwind behind our eleven players.

The league status:
After the game, I quickly checked my mobile for the latest scores. I was delighted when I saw the scores. Man City lost at home to Chelsea and Tottenham hammered Liverpool at White Hart Lane. The next day, Everton held Arsenal at Goodison. All three results going our way. Fantastic!
p5FW84Q.png

Last edited:
A new contract.

After scoring the winning goal vs. Man United, Roberts came knocking at my door asking for a new contract. Seriously? He scores one goal and comes asking for a new contract. That's a bit crazy.

I didn't want to upset him by denying his request. So, I told him to wait till the end of the season when I'll be going over the contracts of several players.

The 20 year old Roberts was too jumpy. He said he wanted a new contract now to commit himself to a club he loved. That was...unexpected. I thought he would go on about other clubs after him and all that but instead he used the loyalty argument. I was sold.

"I'll ask Baresi to contact your agent. I'll settle things with him and you'll hear from one of us within the next few days. How's that sound?", I said passionately.

"Cheers boss!", Roberts replied and left my office. I spoke with his agent Marc Nicholson and offered Roberts a new contract. Patrick signed the contract within a few days quoting his love for the club as the reason. A deal well done!

The big trip to Emirates.

Huge game. We come to this game on the back of a fantastic 1-0 home victory over United while Arsenal come into the game on the back of a lone point against Everton.

First half:
Arsenal started dominantly, as expected. It took us about 10 mins to get settled in and put some passes together. Just when we were gathering momentum, Kay Voser conceded a penalty. He tripped Alexis Sanchez in the box and amidst several protests from our players, the referee gave the spot kick to Arsenal. Asamoah stepped up and scored. 1-0 TO ARSENAL!!
We kept going and had a couple of half chances but neither were fruitful. It was Arsenal who came extremely close doubling the lead twice just before half time. Giroud and Sanchez both hit the post in a space of 3 minutes. We were a bit lucky to head into half time with only one goal down.

Half time:
Changes had to be made. We were letting Arsenal in way too easily. I switched from a 4231 wide formation to a 4123 formation with Jones now playing as a defensive ball winner. Baselli and Hyndman were given more freedom as the creative forces in the midfield.

Second half:
The change in formation worked. The Arsenal attacking force wasn't able to create as many chances now. The clock kept ticking but we were unable to find an equalizer. 75 mins gone and a disaster happened.
Hyndman was injured. He collided rather nastily with Koscielny and he had to be substituted. Initial signs suggest that the injury was gonna be a bad one.
I took a chance. I brought on Finnbogason and switched to a 424 overload system. It had to be done with under 15 mins left. A one goal or two goal loss doesn't really change much but a goal for us would be wonderful.

Arsenal were pushed back a little bit with our two strikers and two inside forwards. Arsenal were defending in numbers. But the goal simply wouldn't come. In the 87th minute, Balanta's long ball found Kacaniklic on the left flank and his cross was perfect for Finnbogason to volley home! AN 88th MINUTE EQUALIZER.
[video=dailymotion;x2lr5bk]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2lr5bk_fm-15-finnbogason-goal-vs-arsenal-87th-min-equalizer_videogames[/video]​

Emirates was silenced. A dramatic equalizer. We deserved it after our second half display. Arsenal were caught with their players up the pitch and Balanta's long ball opened them up.

2 mins of added time. Pat Roberts cut inside and dribbled past 2 Arsenal players. He played a wonderful ball to Finnbogason who hits towards goal..... HITS THE INSIDE OF THE POST AND CLEARED OFF THE LINE! Oh no. That was so close. We were millimetres away from winning but Arsenal survive barely.

And the ref blew for full time. One extremely vital point at Emirates! We're still second in the league.

When I read the match report, I was really angered because the referee apparently made a bad decision regarding the Arsenal penalty. My view was blocked from the touchline but replays show that it wasn't a penalty. I was gutted as we lost an opportunity to get 3 points. Oh well, what can you do. Refereeing decisions haven't really been going our way - first the Cardiff one, then this. No time to repent, we have to move on!
View attachment 285686

The league
Chelsea and Liverpool don't play in this set of fixtures. United and City won their games but we still sit second, 4 points behind Chelsea who have a game in hand.​
View attachment 285685

Last edited:
Hyndman out for 2 months.

Emerson Hyndman, who has been a key figure in the midfield for us will be out for 2 months and will miss the remaining fixtures in the season. Hyndman twisted his ankle while going for a tackle in the game against Arsenal. He collided with Koscielny but it wasn't the collision that resulted in the injury, as I originally thought. It was a torn knee ligament which will keep the US international away.

Hyndman has been the creative spark in the midfield for us, alongside Baselli and his absence will leave a huge hole for us. Luckily, Christensen is back to full match fitness and his energy in the midfield will make up for some of that. With Ruiz already injured and now Hyndman joining him on the sidelines, Daniele Baselli will have the huge task of being the side's primary playmaker. I have faith in Baselli, he has put in some magnificent performances over the course of the season.
bgNCVAr.png

FA Cup 2016-17: Semi Final (vs. West Brom)

We face West Brom in the semi final. West Brom come to the semi final on the back of a 2-0 victory over Liverpool. However, I was confident of our chances to go through. Here's how it turned out:We won, but it took longer than I thought. We had plethora of chances in the first half and we should've been atleast 1-0 ahead, if not 2-0. Finnbogason, who started today ahead of Woodrow had a great chance in the 30th minute but his shot was very poor and the keeper had no trouble. I was really frustrated at half time but kept my cool during the half time team talk. I told them to keep playing with the same level of intensity and that the goal will come.

West Brom started the second half brightly coming close to a goal a few times. Just before the hour mark, West Brom had 3 chances in 2 minutes. Bettinelli made two amazing saves and the third one was a poor attempt by Berahino, the West Brom striker. Neither team could break the deadlock.

In the 72nd minute, Daniele Baselli got injured following a tackle by Mulumbu. He couldn't continue and this was a heavy blow for us. I brought on Woodrow to support Finnbogason for the final 20 minutes but the goal never came.

At the end of normal time, I was extremely disappointed - both with our performance and Baselli's injury. I lashed out at the players. Unlike the first half where we were created chances despite poor finishing, we struggled to even retain possession in the second half. I told them to play with more passion and not make a mess of it.

Patrick Roberts finally broke the deadlock in the 101st minute with a composed finish, following a bunch of quick short passes by our attack line. With 1-0 ahead, we started to up our game. In the second half of extra time, we put on an exhibition. West Brom hardly had any chances and we came away with the 1-0 victory.

And we are through to the final!!! First FA Cup final for me - this is gonna be exciting!
The FA Cup final:
aYVS9Xe.png

Back