The rise of Fulham

• Thread starter Thread starter mask0991
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1K
  • Views Views 286K
oyd2byu.png

The 12:45 PM kick-off today saw Chelsea drop three points at Etihad. After secuting maximum (27) points in their first 9 games, Chelsea have managed only six points in their last six games including today's defeat.

With our game starting at 5:30 PM and with us being only 3 points behind Chelsea, a win would've taken us closer to the top spot. But instead.....

We missed a glorious opportunity to go level on points with Chelsea. It was a poor performance despite the media calling it an unlucky loss for us. Amorebieta gave us the lead in the 78th minute with a header from a corner, which I thought was something we didn't merit given our sloppy performance. Ilicic equalized for Norwich in one of the several attacks Norwich put together in the last 10 minutes.

Woodrow and Finnbogason came close to scoring towards the end but the goal never came. Both the strikers shot straight at the keeper after good off the ball movement.

The disappointment: It was not the result that disappointed me but rather our passing. My tactics all focus on shorter passing and trying to keep possession. Very few players have the freedom to make longer, risky passes. Time after time, I saw my defenders try long passes to strikers and wingers by passing our central midfield. And over 75% of those attempts gave away possession. It was disgusting to watch. I gave them a hairdryer treatment at half time and the second half was marginally better.

A draw is probably a fitting result as our performance didn't exactly merit 3 points.

Last edited:
Champions League Group Stage 2017/18: Final set of fixtures

The group is finely poised at the moment. For those who are unaware of the situation, Sociedad sit atop with 10 points. PSG and ourselves are tied on points with 8 each but we are second thanks to our superior goal difference. CSKA Moscow are out of Europe with just one point.

The final set of fixtures see us travel to Spain to take on Sociedad and PSG travel to Russia to face CSKA Moscow. Given CSKA Moscow's poor performance so far and PSG's intimidating attack force, PSG were the bookies' favourites to win. If they win, we have to win against Sociedad to qualify.

The game(s), as it happened:
(Color code: Sociedad-Fulham game; CSKA-PSG game)

3'
Sociedad start brightly and take the lead just 3 mins into the game. Ruben Pardo smashed home a volley from close range from an inviting cross from their right flank. Nightmarish start. 1-0 to Sociedad. Fulham 3rd, PSG 2nd. :O

33'
WOODROOOOOOWW! Williams looked very threatening in the past few minutes and this time, he beats Sociedad's full back and puts in a low cross from inside the box for Woodrow to score. It's 1-1 here at Anoeta stadium. PSG-CSKA game is still goalless. And Fulham are back to #2 in the group. |)

43'
My assistant gives me the wonderful news that CSKA take the lead against PSG. Nikolay Kuzhlev shocks PSG with a stunning 25 yard goal. CSKA 1, PSG 0. :)

Half-time: I told my staff to not reveal the PSG scoreline to the players. I wanted them to focus on the game. "Keep going lads. Get that one goal and we'll win. I have faith in you," I said to the players. I had some specific words for our defense and midfielders. I told them that while I am satisfied with their performance, they can do much better. The players had their drinks, energy bars. Some players applied ointments and sprays on their bruises to get back to full strength. And they headed back onto the pitch.

Nothing significant happened in our match. Sociedad started the game a bit slowly compared to their first half. We closed them down a lot more this half trying to force an error. But their players looked rather composed. CSKA seem to be hanging onto their lead against PSG. The scoreline still remains 1-0 in favour of CSKA.

70' (68') GOOOAAALLL for CSKA. I checked my mobile in the 70th minute as the Sociedad physios were tending to their defender. Dzagoev scored for CSKA in the 68th minute giving them a 2 goal lead against PSG. :)

The PSG-CSKA game was going in our favour. But we were missing a lot of chances here. Baselli's through balls to find Roberts, Williams and Vilhena were squandered. Sociedad also came close a couple of times but didn't threaten Bettinelli.

The game was nearing its end. I forgot about the PSG game for a while due to the intensity in our game and wanted to check their score with just under 5 mins left. I checked and it was wonderful news for me.

CSKA scored a third goal against PSG in the 77th minute and now with the game in the closing moments, PSG had no chance of getting back. CSKA are 3-0 ahead against PSG. :D
As things stand, we are through with second place. A win for us would see us finish top. I wanted that goal and told the players to go for it.

90+2' Woodroooowwww....misses from under 6 yards! **** it, **** it, **** it. Very uncharacteristic of Woodrow, this. Lustig's cross was well controlled by Woodrow but his shot went well wide. That was to be the last kick of the game as well.

CSKA came out victorious against PSG with a resouding 3-0 scoreline in Russia. PSG are out of the Champions League while we go through to the first knock out round. Hurrah!!

Premier League 2017/18: First half drama at Southampton

What an action packed first half. Richaro Zivkovic gave Soton the lead with just 3 mins played and for the second game in a row, we concede early. But Emerson Hyndman, who recently signed a contract with us produced a moment of brilliance. He netted a 20 yarder with a precise finish. He just passed it into the bottom corner from 20 yards...what a goal!

Things were even until Gary Medel got himself sent off after 28 minutes, forcing The Saints to play with 10 men for an hour. Vilhena rubbed salt in Southampton's wound after the red card with a good close range finish in the 30th minute. Amorebieta scored for the second League game running with a precise header from a Halilovic cross, just before half time. We were 3-1 up at half time and with a man advantage. We were in a great position to win the game.

The second half started in a dull manner. However, Southampton, with nothing to lose started to attack without fear around the 70th minute mark. We had to stay focused and defend well for the next 10 mins that followed. But we saw it till the end without conceding anymore.

A very important win over Southampton takes us to 34 points, level with Chelsea.

Capital One Cup 2017-18: Quarter-Final

A very disappointing way to go out of the competition - hard to digest this loss. Taking on United at Old Trafford is no easy task but we beat them on penalties last season in the same competition. So, I went into the game with confidence.

We started as the better team. We had a couple of early chances but neither produced a goal. United's first significant attack resulted in a goal. It was a brilliant passing build up by Man United. Our defense could've been tighter but it was a well-deserved goal for them.

United's second came through Januzaj and it was a beauty. A 30 yard thunderbolt by the young Belgian on the volley after well controlling a clearance by our defense. Not much we could've done - it was a top goal. Even the commentators went nuts.
Their third came from the penalty spot when Balanta's tackle was deemed to be a foul by referee Clattenburg. It was a harsh decision. It looked like a simple shoulder push by Balanta on Henriquez but the ref though otherwise. Aboubakar scored his second of the day. A very unfortunate goal to concede just before the half time.

With a wonder goal and a dubious penalty call against us, we go into the break 3-0 down. Can't really fault the players as they did put on a decent show but I had to encourage them and the best way to encourage my players is by striking a nerve. I expressed my disappointment and told them to do much better.

Aaaand they did. They produced a second half performance of the best quality. One of the finest performances by my side ever. To dominate that way at Old Trafford was a sight to behold. We had under 50% of the possession in the first half and over 60% possession in the second.

We kept knocking and knocking at the door and finally we scored. Woodrow pulled one back for us in the 74th minute with a good header. 7 mins later, he scored another one after a brilliant Fulham move. 9 mins left and we need one goal to force the match into extra time.

We kept pushing and prodding at United's goal but we couldn't get past their defense. United would have been relieved to hear the final whistle and we felt really disappointed. An unfortunate way to head out of a competition we have won in the past two seasons. Oh well.....a tough one to digest.

Last edited:
View attachment 817231
UEFA Champions League 2017-18 First Knockout Round Draw

These were the teams that went through to the first knockout round.
Seeded teams
View attachment 282543
Unseeded teams
View attachment 282542

We could be drawn against the mighty Barcelona, Atletico, Milan or Dortmund. It's obvious which team I want to avoid. I prayed all the Gods for the draw to be favourable. And we were drawn against:
Just my cursed luck. ****! Son of a *****...Why...why....why.

I would've fancied my chances against Milan, Atletico or Dortumund but it would take something bigger than a miracle to knock Barcelona out. Oh well. ****** ****!

We only got 4 points in our last 3 premier league games and it was time to put some good performances and the lads totally delivered.We started with intent and looked the more likely to score in the opening half hour or so. Despite our first half dominance, we couldn't score. West Brom were very disciplined in defense and didn't let us in. I switched from a 4231 formation to a standard 442 and changed Finnbogason's role from a shadow striker to a poacher at half time.

But the first opening in the second half fell to Berahino but the West Brom striker completely screwed up a glorious opportunity. It was a slight let off. We took the lead just before the hour mark. Lustig's cross was struck towards goal by Finnbogason but it took a deflection of Fabian Johnson before crossing the goal line. It went down as an own goal.

The last 20 minutes produced more dominance from our side. We had a penalty claim turned down and West Brom had to weather heavy storm. But they were solid in defense and we couldn't score a second. Doesn't matter though, we got the 3 points.
View attachment 282526

Injury worry: Alexander Kacaniklic had to be substituted during the West Brom game as he picked up an injury. It looked slightly bad in that moment but I had to wait for physio Mark Taylor's full report for more detail.

Mark Taylor called me saying that the injury is worse and wanted to discuss possible alternatives with me and the coaching staff for possible replacements.

"Alex will be out for over a month. Scans reveal a broken arm and it'd take 5-6 weeks for him to be back playing in the first team," said Mark Physio as he was trying to hold a huge folder filled with medical reports.

Well, that's terrible news. He's the only out and out winger we have - Roberts, Williams, Halilovic can all play on the wings but they are more suited for inside forward duty.

"Alright. That's terrible news. Lets talk alternatives. Williams is the obvious replacement, isn't he?," I said.

"Yes but he'll be out for a week as well," said Taylor.

"What? How?" I didn't know that his bruised rib in the WBA game would keep him out for a week and Taylor told me of that issue.

"OK. So, we have to go with the 41311 center heavy formation against Swansea. Should be fine, I guess."

Baresi interrupted, "Should be more than fine. Swansea are in poor form and are very leaky defensively. Baselli, Hyndman and Vilhena's creativity should open up their defense."

"Good. Make sure the lads train on this formation. We haven't employed that formation in a while," I said as the meeting concluded.

View attachment 282525

So, the 41311 tactic which I rarely use didn't disappoint me. A nice 3-1 victory against Swansea. Woodrow opened the scoring with just 19 seconds on the clock and Swansea didn't get even get a touch until then. It was Lustig who set-up the goal with a good run and a cross on the right flank.

Seferovic equalized just before the half hour mark as our defense was caught sleeping momentarily. A lapse in concentration and we let Swansea back into the game. "Focus...focus," I was yelling at the touchline.

And then Halilovic, who is on loan from Barca produced a moment of brilliance. Woodrow's hold up play won us a freekick 20 yards from goal and Halilovic stepped up and scored from a thundering strike. We controlled the remainder of the first half rather well.

But things changed just after the hour mark. Woodrow's strength, hold up play and off the ball moment troubled Swansea defense through out the game and Fernandez, already on a yellow card fouled him from behind. Second yellow card, sent off! We simply can't lose now unless we make some silly mistakes.

"Concentrate," I kept telling my players every now and then. Woodrow put the game beyond Swansea in the 73rd minute with a proper poacher's finish. The game was all but over by that time.

We just kept possession and controlled the game for the rest of game. 3 points in the bag.
View attachment 282383

The 41311 formation and the league table:
View attachment 282382 View attachment 282381

Reduced training, more rest days....the part of the season I don't look forward to

The New Year's time is arguably my least favourite part of the season. Games come in a hurry. Including our games against West Brom and Swansea, we have to play 4 league games in 10 days. Our next two games, against Man United and Everton are spaced only by one day.

What makes it worse is the injury issue. Matias Kranevitter and Alexander Kacaniklic, two names usually first on my team sheet are out injured. I don't have the best depth in my squad or the biggest first team squad.

I cancelled two days of training to keep players fresh for this congested set of fixtures. In my weekly meeting with the coaching staff, I told them to keep the training intensity a bit low for these two weeks or so. I don't want any more injuries at the moment. Ruiz and McCormack are out on loan and I don't want to be using previously untested reserve players for big games against Manchester United and Everton.

A scrappy win but it came against Man Utd, so I'll take it however the performance. The first half was a boring one with very few interesting moments. Falcao led United's front line and Mata played just behing the Colombian but both were too slow to cause any issues for our defense. Falcao scored from a set-piece in the 38th minute. Sloppy marking by Burn allowed Falcao to make firm contact with the ball.

I demanded a better performance from the players. The first half was very dull from our players. And they managed two goals in the space of four minutes. I gave Roberts and Williams more freedom as inside forwards at half time and it helped as both of them got on the scoresheet.

We did manage to hold onto the lead until full time. But it was a very scrappy performance and I was worried about United equalizing for most of the last 40 minutes. 3 points against United and a fitting revenge for our defeat to them in the League Cup.

Yet another scrappy game. Both Everton and our players had just one day break before coming into this game. Mirallas put Everton 2-0 ahead in under 20 minutes. We let them in far too easily. Not very good defending. After that it was a mountain to climb. Two big injuries, a lot of tired legs meant we simply didn't have enough to overturn that deficit.

Woodrow's 75th minute goal gave us a glimmer of hope but it proved to be nothing more than a consolation goal. Our lack of depth and not-so-big squad hurt us in this game.

LEAGUE TABLE:
View attachment 282277 View attachment 282276

Transfer?
We have about 6 days before our next game and it is a much welcome break for my players. It's January 1st and the transfer window is open now. Jermaine Jones doesn't have the legs to play consecutive games without being substituted, and with Matias and Alexander injured, the midfield is stretched a bit thin at the moment.

My coaches and scouts have informed me of some available defensive midfielders in the market but I don't want to dip into the market now. My goal was to use players coming through our youth system, and with Vilhena and Kranevitter already bought this season, I don't want to bring in more outsiders.

I told my scouts to get match reports on the players they suggested. And I will make a decision regarding this soon.Money is not an issue as our finances are rich, so it's all down to whether I want more 'outsiders'.

FA Cup third round

Another lower league team and we huffed and puffed to a draw to force a replay. I am not sure if its tactical failure or complacency on players' part but I can't remember the last time we played against a lower league team like the pre-match favourites.

Iliev scored a stunning strike to give Leyton the lead. But our performance was sub-par. Sloppy defending, a half-asleep midfield and strikers who stood like statues without any significant off the ball movement - I simply don't know why they do this in these type of matches.

We were about to get knocked out of the FA Cup until Finnbogason scored a goal with a minute of normal time left. While I was relieved about the goal, it shouldn't have taken this long for us to score. Oh well, now we have to win the replay at Craven Cottage to progress.

In a post-match interview, our club captain Eder Alvarez Balanta made it clear to the public what I thought of our performance.
UsUORTM.png

10th Jan 2018: Two days after the Leyton game, the players reported for training having taken a rest day as usual. Our next game is against Manchester City. We have to be strong defensively and take our chances against The Citizens.

Training resumed with good intensity and the players were getting into groove. I was discussing some training regimes with asst. coach Baresi when physio Tom Jackson came running.

I hate it when I see physio's approach me. More often than not, it's always bad news. "Vilhena's injured. He twisted his ankle."

Literally the last thing I wanted to hear. Two first team players are already out and Vilhena's absence will make it three. "Why don't we have magic powers or potions, Baresi?," I said in desperation.

"How long," I turned and asked Jackson.

"Mark (Taylor)'s taking a look at it. We'll be taking him to the hospital in an hour or so. Should know the full extent after scans and what not."

Oh well. Fingers crossed. "Let me know as soon as you learn anything Tom."

"Will do," said Tom as he went back to make preparations for Vilhena's trip to the hospital.

3 weeks....Uhhhhh....
yqoZzPy.png

After labouring to draw against Leyton, the players show class to upstage Man City. It's a bit hilarious really.

Two upcoming talents at the club - Pat Roberts and George Williams combined to give us the lead. Roberts cut in from the right flank and tried to curl one into the top corner but Joe Hart got a hand to it. The rebound fell to Williams, who tapped home to give us the lead in the 6th minute.

Vincent Kompany then performed a tough tackle on Williams in the 14th minute and Williams went down like he had been shot. He was clutching his shin in pain. Please not an injury..please...pretty please.. Williams couldn't continue and he had to be taken out.

City were threatening to score for the rest of the first half and the beginning stages of the second. Woodrow gave us much needed breathing space as he scored from the penalty spot after winning it. He maintains his impressive 100% success rate from the spot.

Hyndman was pulling the strings in our midfield with a deep playmaker role. Finnbogason, who came on for Woodrow for the final 10 mins gave us a fantastic 3-0 lead as he latched onto a Hyndman through ball.

Overall, a great victory.

As for the League,
Pf6OjKe.png

Chelsea were held by Q.P.R. and it helped us cut their lead at the top to one point. City's defeat to us widened the gap between 2nd and 3rd to 7 points. United are unfortunately slipping with 11th place.

Cauley Woodrow is the Premier League's top scorer at the moment with 14 goals in 19 games. Top stuff from the striker.

Brilliant win against City mate, loving the attention to detail you put in on the story too, it really makes it a good read!

Back