The road from Second Division B1 to the Champions League..

Ronio

Reaction score
This is my story about a journey which starts in the tough and inhospitable stadiums in Second Division B1 where the world media doesn't appear; where the luxury of a hot shower after a game isn't a certainty and where something remotely similar to football is a rare sight...

Cultural Deporitvo y Leonesa is the team which rose from this dark place to the night lights and flashes from the cameras in stadiums such as Camp Nou, Santiago Bernabeu and Vicente Calderon.

I will give you a short introduction by letting you know how I’ve gotten to where I am now (2015).

I took over this side in the beginning of the game and started off in Second Division B1. The first season was a long time of getting-to-know-the-team, and after being predicted as a possible candidate to be relegated in the beginning of the season, finishing 6th in the league was a good achievement.

Continuing with pretty much the same players the second season ended better with the team finishing 3rd and gaining a place in Liga Adelante after a tough playoff beating the likes of Atletico Madrid "B".

The third season, the first one in Liga Adelante and the whole city is jubilant. It wasn't going to be easy and signings were needed for a chance of a respectable position. The team had a great season and finished 12th in the league.

The fourth season
saw more signings, and one stood out the most. Tawrick Jibril, a 19-year-old CM, was signed on a free transfer and became the leading star in the team. Having a history of trials with the likes of Arsenal made him the favorite amongst the fans. Another big signing was made, Rouwen Hennings, a dutch youth-team international and Hamburg SV forward, was signed. The hopes were sky high and a top half finish was expected by the fans. The season overall went a lot better than the previous, all though finishing 10th, the team played much better and won the Spanish Federation Cup.

The fifth season saw the signing of German Pacheco (Atletico Madrid C) and Dennis Diekmeier (Werder Bremen reserves), amongst others. Pacheco went on to become to top scorer of Liga Adelante with 25 goals in a wonderful season where the team won the league and gained promotion to La Liga.

The sixth season didn't see many major changes to the successful team that had won Liga Adelante. Former Sevilla-player Aquivaldo Mosquera and Yassine Jebbour were brought in on free transfer from Las Palmas and FC Metz. The biggest signing was ex-Barcelonista Pedro, who was bought from Gimnastic for a fee of 1.6 million euros. The media predicted a short visit in La Liga for Cultural Leonesa, and the bookies didn't believe in the team at all. The team showed the world that they were in the top to stay by finishing 13th in front of the likes of Deportivo La Coruña, Mallorca and Athletic Bilbao.

The seventh season saw many Cultural players facing the infamous second season as newly promoted team. The media was certain that last seasons position in the league was just a fluke and that Cultural would face a season of struggling and misery. The pre-season for the club had been very turbulent and a takeover of the team was made seeing a Swedish investor taking control of the club and investing a lot of money in the club. The club’s previous transfer budget which lay around 3 million € now was increased to a staggering 30 million €. This meant that the club now could buy players instead of just picking up free transfers. The club bought the defenders Miguel Victor from Benfica and Andriy Goncharenco from Hannover for a total of around 29 million € to strengthen the defence which had been very shaky in the previous season. But the biggest signing was Federico Laurito from Udinese, as usual on a free transfer. The Argentinean would pair up with his fellow countryman German Pacheco to make an attack that would terrorize defences in La Liga all season long.

The season was a long dream for the Cultural Leonesa fans that saw their team finishing in fourth place and grabbing a Champions League qualification spot. The team managed to win over EVERY team in La Liga except Barcelona where they got a draw at best. Federico Laurito scored the most goals in La Liga and won the Pichichi as well as the Golden boot with 28 goals. Pacheco came second in the La Liga top scorer league with his 24 goals.

Now we come to the season I am currently preparing for. I’ve let some of my old players go as well as those who just doesn’t have what it takes to play on this level. I’ve bought a Spanish U-20 International named Andrés Sanz and two players with a bit more routine. One of them is a favourite of mine, Jelle van Damme from Belgium. As you can see I’m not going wild all though I’ve got a transfer budget of 30+ million €. The only player that I have bought is Sanz (17.5 million €), the rest is on free transfer.

I am currently fielding a 4-1-2-1-2 formation which looks like this.

Tim Krul
Andrés Sanz – Iñigo Yuste – Miguel Victor – Andriy Goncharenco
Tawrick Jibril (C)
Pedro – Wijnaldum
Jebbour
Laurito – Pacheco

Here’s a short presentation of the players:
Tim Krul (27) – Dutch international squad player. Played the 2014 World Cup and was one of the best GK’s.
Andrés Sanz (20) – One of Spain’s biggest talents. Has about 16 in every attribute; mental, technical and physical.
Iñigo Yuste (20) – Another great talent. Captain of the U-20 squad in Spain with a great future.
Andriy Goncharenco (23) – Tremendously speedy left back with 20 in acceleration as his main attribute.
Tawrick Jibiril (23) – Ghana international. Wanted by Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Roma and Inter amongst others.
Pedro (28) – Probably the weakest link in the team, but nowhere near a bad player. Last year on his contract.
Wijnaldum (24) – Speedy winger that featured in the Dutch squad in the 2014 WC and started one game.
Yassine Jebbour (23) – French attacking midfielder that had a great last season with many assists and goals.
German Pacheco (24) – 24 goals and 10 assists in 36 appearances last season. No need to say more.
Federico Laurito (25) – 28 goals and 9 assists in 37 appearances last seasons, Golden boot.. No need to say more.

As you see I have a pretty young squad. And something interesting is that this team has only cost me around 47 million €. And seven :)wub:) of my starting players were brought in on a free transfer.

Right now I’m in the start of season 2015/2016 and I’ve just played the ECC Playoffs against Shaktar Donetsk. I won away with 2-1 and got a 1-0 win at home. I was drawn against Man Utd, Sporting CP and FC Kobenhavn in the group stage. My latest game was against Sporting Gijon in the league, I won 4-2. That’s pretty much all the history you need to know going in to this season where I will try to give you updates of how it’s going.

If you want any screen shots of players or anything, just ask. ;)

not only a well written pieces but also a great story, this is really good to see. nice to hear of someone changing a teams fortunes, best of luck in the future and shows you dont have to have money to have success.

LLM...best way to play FM in my opinion. Take a team from nothing to as far as you can get!! Put the wind up the big boys, mix it with the elite in Europe...

I've never really understood why people buy each version of FM, take over somewhere like Real Madrid (or the latest club with money - looking at you Manchester City!) buy the best players they can, win everything.

Then buy the next version of FM and do the same thing again...

Never really had a decent enough explanation of what thrill it provides?!?!

Good luck with it all Ronio!

i was doing llm but not as hardcore as yours:p i went with QPR but they are rich so my story is hardcore lame compared to yours:p nice team, and gl in the future

im with chelmsford city great story hopefully i will have a simlar one in a few months or so!

I've never really understood why people buy each version of FM, take over somewhere like Real Madrid (or the latest club with money - looking at you Manchester City!) buy the best players they can, win everything.

Never really had a decent enough explanation of what thrill it provides?!?

It's easier and a lot more casual. You don't need to give the game as much attention. You can just play through the game while doing other things.

lee has got a point, some people just hate losing so they get mad if they lose and stuff, so they just go with a good team where they win:)

LLM...best way to play FM in my opinion. Take a team from nothing to as far as you can get!! Put the wind up the big boys, mix it with the elite in Europe...

Never really had a decent enough explanation of what thrill it provides?!?!

Good luck with it all Ronio!

i'm city at the moment purely because i wanted a feel for the game before i whent lower and now i'm caught up in it, i'm planning to go to either stevenage or swansea after a few more seasons, and for me thats intresting enough but i do agree llm is the best way

swansea is in the championship so its not rlly considered llm, what i did with QPR i dont think was llm:) cuz they are rich and good

*****UPDATE 1*****

Thanks for the comments everyone! I've got a bit further since my last post here. I'm currently on January 12th 2016. I'm going to upload some pics so you can see my progress.

This is my squad:

Here's the most valuable player, Andrés Sanz. He's a great prospect for the future but he hasn't had such a great season so far, but I've got high hopes for him.

Last edited:
nice 1

gd job i just got fm handheld 2009 and im hoping to do the same thing

ADDICKS TILL I DIE!!!:D

****UPDATE****

The 2015/2016 is now over. I managed to grab a fourth place once again, just before Sevilla. During the summer break I bought 3 players. One is a 18 year old Argentian CB which I then loaned out to Rayo Vallecano. The second player is Axel Witsel, a Belgian right winger international who I got on a free transfer. The third player was bought from Valencia for a record sum of € 26.5 million. His name is Diego Buonanotte and is a AM who plays for Argentina. Screenshots will be uploaded at request.

The CL-qualification I was faced against Sporting. I won the first leg at home with 3-1, and lost the away game with 1-0. I was then handed a tough group once again. Milan, Lyon and Lokomotiv Moscow are my opponents.

The league has started splendidly. I won my first game away against Real Madrid with 3-2. I then cruised past Real Sociedad at home grabbing an easy 3-0 victory.

Until next time!

You're doing great! Keep it up! Great to see tiny teams make the big time on FM! I'm currently with Notts County in League 2 England! Hoping to do something simular as I have been for a few years on the old FM's! (Check my topic)

Thanks for all the comments guys :)

jaja la cultural leonesa!!!! yo me voy a empezar uno con la real union, a ver que pasa.

Jaja, pero Union es un equipo bueno, no? Ganaron contra Real Madrid esta temporada, jaja. :D Perdon por mi español, he aprendido el en la escuela. :)

Well written and a nice story - I'm looking to go for some English LLM when I've finished playing my next game as Spurs.

The reason I play as Tottenham predominantly is that they are the club I've supported all my life and really enjoy that. I also enjoy the LLM challenge but variety is good.

I'd be interested in some more detail about your tactics and whether they are pretty standard or tailored a lot and what tactics you found worked well at which level.

I have to say this is the best FM story I've ever heard! Some stories are well written but with no achievments, some with many achievments but badly written, but this is complete! Best FM story I've heard!

I'm using a pretty standard tactic, 4-4-2.

I've found this tactic working very well with my team. I've got quick players all around and I've found great success using counter attacks. The individual settings aren't anything special, I've got the usual things. Many forward runs and crossings from my wingers, the same goes for my fullbacks all though I give them a bit more restricted orders when going against a good opponent.

I've used pretty much the same formation all through my carrier. In the beginning I played with one striker and that wasn't good at all. So my best tip is keep it simple from the beginning and play with two strikers. As time goes on you will get more successful by sticking to one way of playing, with pretty much the same tactics as you put together your own team, with your own players with your preffered attributes. :)

I've always gone for a quick and technical team. Another tip is that if you are playing in Spain, take a look at Argentina. They have a lot of great talents, many of them with double nationalities as well. Argentine players have always been a success in my teams, as they fit in very well. Another important thing, especially when you are in the lower divisions is finding a good striker. You will need a striker who scores 20+ each season if you are to have a chance at climbing through the divisions. ;)