View attachment 122005
2nd Round Tie
Sunderland Vs Milwall
23rd August, 2016.

View attachment 122004

Team News

Defoe is rested, giving Green a chance to play up front for his first start. McNair is in for Kone who is rested while Rodwell gets a chance in place of Ndong. Graeme Shinnie also replaces Van Aanholt to finish the four changes to the side.

View attachment 121996

View attachment 122000
Another really positive result in another game that we dominated. Milwall took an eary lead with an absolutely beastly goal but we kept our cool and worked our way back into the match fairly quickly without panicking. Khazri got his first of the season and Bryson got his first for the club as we took another step towards some form and momentum. Bryson was super today, completing 108 passes, achieving an 89% passing accuracy, winning 100% of his tackles and scoring the winning goal, he picks up the man of the match award and justifies a portion of his transfer fee. He is proving to be that controlling player that I wanted.

Last edited:
View attachment 121995
View attachment 121994
A tricky draw away to Hull for the third round of the EFL Cup but we will go there with confidence having beaten them on the opening day of the season. Ideally I would have liked a home draw, but we can only play the fixtures that are in front of us.

View attachment 121993
Sunderland Vs Burnley
27th August, 2016.

View attachment 121992

Team News

We revert back to our original and successful starting line up with Defoe, Ndong, Van Aanholt and Kone all reclaiming their starting places.

View attachment 121989
View attachment 121988
Another huge win as we take three more points off of relegation rivals! I was so pleased to see Jermaine Defoe open his seasons scoring tally with a brilliant run and neat finish but then disaster struck. Both Januzaj and Manquillo were forced off with injury within a minute of eachother and then another minute after that Burnley equalised through Patrick Bamford. I was really worried that this string of set backs would damage our fragile side but I ended up being so proud of everybody. The response was amazing and Van Aanholt popped up just a few minutes later to restore our lead and seal the win.

View attachment 121984
"So come on then, whats the damage?"

"good news or bad news?" Ish Rehman, our Chief Doctor asked.

"Bad first, get it over with"

"Adnan has torn a muscle in his groin, we are looking at 5-6 weeks, best case scenario."

"Please say the good news is much better than that"

"It is, Javi's thigh injury is just a bruise, not a hamstring. He will be ready for the next game after the International break."

View attachment 121983
View attachment 121982

View attachment 121981
August Review

View attachment 121980
A dream start to my time at Sunderland! The only thing that I would have wanted that we havnt managed yet is a clean sheet, but to be honest I dont care if we concede 200 goals this season as long as score 201 and stay up. Progress in the cup, two massive wins against relegation candidates and a decent performance away to Chelsea fill me with hope for the future.

Table
View attachment 121979
Very early on in the season, so early in fact the table means practically nothing but it is nice to look at it and see us in 5th place!

Player of the Month
View attachment 121978
Craig Bryson. I bought him in to be the main man in our midfield, and he has been just that. Four appearances, a goal, an assist, 90% pass accuracy, one man of the match and an average rating of 7.47. He deserves this and has instantly become a huge player for us.

September Preview
View attachment 121977
A really tough month that is going to test how far we have really come. I would honestly be happy with just a point from our three Premier League games, but I think we need to go away to Stoke and target more than that.

View attachment 121976
Stoke Vs Sunderland
12th September, 2016.

View attachment 121975

Team news

Javi Manquillo is fit enough to keep his spot at right back, but Adnan Januzaj is forced to the sidelines, meaning Duncan Watmore comes in to take his place after shaking off his own knock. Otherwise it is a very stable and balanced team. I would be lying if I said I wasnt worried about players like Rodwell wanting first team football, but I really feel selection consistency is more important right now.

View attachment 121974
View attachment 121973
I said before that I would be happy with a point here and I haven't changed my mind. It was a scrappy game in truth with clear chances hard to come by, but it is our first clean sheet of the season which can be taken as another sign of progress!

View attachment 121972

View attachment 121971

Tottenham Vs Sunderland
17th September, 2016.

View attachment 121970

Team News

A couple of changes to the side for the away trip to Spurs. Jack Rodwell replaces Didier Ndong for a more defence minded presence in the centre of midfield, while the roll has also changed from box to box to ball winning midfielder. Julian Green also comes in to the side and gets a chance to impress as Duncan Watmore gets a rest.

View attachment 121969
View attachment 121968
Back down to earth with a bump. The scoreline flattered us if im being honest, the first half in particular we were dreadful and completely outclassed. We had a bit of a tactical reshuffle at half time and Craig Bryson grabbed his second goal for the club early in the second half to offer a glimmer of hope, but Tottenham quickly shut us down and eased to victory.

View attachment 121967

View attachment 121966
3rd Round Tie
Hull Vs Sunderland
21st September, 2016.

View attachment 121965
Team News

Standard rotation for a cup game to try and keep the squad fresh. Shinnie, McNair and Watmore are in for Van Aanholt, Kone and Defoe, with Green going up top to play the strikers role.

View attachment 121964
View attachment 121963
Disappointed. We had the better chances in the game but once again we just struggled to find the net. Being knocked out the cup is not the end of the world but it is a shame. At least we will have nothing but league games until after Christmas now.

View attachment 121830

Sunderland Vs Manchester City
24th September, 2016.

View attachment 121828
Team News

A slight change in shape with the wingers dropping deeper just in an attempt to stay a little more compact and deal with the wide threat of City. Slightly counter-intuitively perhaps, I have also instructed the team to press and close down and get stuck in. I dont want City to have any time on the ball and im hoping some work rate and application can neutralise them. Julain Green starts on the right as Januzaj is injured and Watmore isnt confident playing in midfield. Ndong also takes his place back from Rodwell.

View attachment 121822
View attachment 121821
A very grumpy manager today. I told the players to stay tight to City and just 13 minutes in Van Aanholt decided he didnt want to mark Aguero and City took the lead with their first shot on goal. After we went behind we were always going to struggle and City just ended up walking all over us.

View attachment 121820

View attachment 121790
"Lee and Billy are here to see you sir" Said the voice down the phone.

"Excellent, send them on in"

In walked Lee Cattermole and Billy Jones, both still in their training gear from their first full sessions backs with the group.

"Good to see you both lads" I shook each of their hands "Look I will get straight to the point. This is a truly massive season for the club and we have made a decent enough start, but I am really reluctant to upset the balance and the chemistry of the side. You both have quality, I dont doubt that, but you are really going to have to convince me to give you both a run in the team. We have players in your positions who have been doing really well, you need to step up."

"I like a challenge, Wont let you down boss" Said Cattermole.

View attachment 121789
View attachment 121787

View attachment 121786
September Review

View attachment 121785
I said at the beginning of the month that we need at least a point from those three games and we got it, but what is concerning is the performance we have put in. An entire calendar month with just a single goal is not good enough. If we are going to beat the drop we need to start sticking the ball in the back of the net.

Table
View attachment 121784
Our beginning of the season surge has now worn off and we find ourselves back down nearer where we should be. Just three points off the bottom of the table is a little close for comfort, but on the plus side we have already played Tottenham, City and Chelsea.

Player of the Month
View attachment 121783
I'm going to give it to Papy Djilobodji this month. While nobody has played brilliantly this month, Papy has been an ever present and has a calm presence at the back. He is only going to improve and I think there is a quality player in there.

October fixtures
View attachment 121782
Things dont get any easier as we welcome Liverpool to the Stadium of light before facing a tough away trip to St Marys to face Southampton. The games against Swansea and Middlesbrough (both below us in the table) are massive.

View attachment 121773

Sunderland Vs Liverpool
1st October, 2016.

View attachment 121771
Team News

Duncan Watmore is the only change as he comes in to replace Julian Green in the starting lineup. Lee Cattermole passed his pre-match medical but the physios dont think he can do more than 45 minutes so he takes a place on the bench. After just one goal in six games, Defoe has been relieved of any responsibility in terms of build up and tracking back, and has been told to do what he does best.. Poach.

View attachment 121770
View attachment 121769
Cruel. We were absolutely superb and deserved those three points but it just wasnt to be. Looking back at the City game, I hadnt realised just how negative I was being at the time. It struck me that we were never going to stay in the division by just trying to neutralise the opposition, we had to stick to our style of football and try and create. We bossed Liverpool for pretty much the whole game, restricting them to long shots with solid defence before springing lethal counter-attacks, two of which were finished by Khazri (A screamer of a goal) and Defoe (The gamble paid off). Although disheartening, that was a huge performance and one that fills me with optimism. This point could be crucial come the end of the season.

View attachment 121768

Last edited:
View attachment 121767

Another massive boost for the club as Adnan Januzaj returns from injury and will be available for selection against Southampton in our next game. Januzaj is a bit of a tricky one to be honest, he has plenty of potential but he doesn't really influence games enough for my liking. He almost finds himself drifting in and out of games, which if you are a striker, you can almost get away with, but a winger cannot get away with it in this side. He's going to do well to displace Watmore and to be honest, he needs to improve if he doesn't want his loan terminated in January. We are paying £60k a week in wages to have him here, and he is taking up one of our precious two domestic based loan slots.

View attachment 121766

View attachment 121765

Southampton Vs Sunderland
15th October, 2016.

View attachment 121754
Team news

Lee Cattermole gets a chance to make an impression with his first start of the season as he replaces Didier Ndong who is rested. Januzaj is fit enough for a place on the bench and a possible impact substitution, but the impressive Duncan Watmore keeps his place. With Van Dijk, Fonte and Romeu all missing for the hosts, I really fancy our chances if we can get at them.

View attachment 121758
View attachment 121757
Another good point away from home as we hold Southampton. We didnt control this game like we did the Liverpool one, but the win was there for the taking. Some point soon we are going to have to start converting these promising performances into results. Van Aanholt made amends for giving away the penalty against Liverpool by smashing a free kick home this time out, but Pickford should have done a lot better with Redmonds scuffed shot that turned out to be the equaliser.

View attachment 121755

View attachment 121751

Sunderland Vs Swansea
21st October, 2016.

View attachment 121745

Team News

Again just the one change, and again its that same position as Jack Rodwell comes in for Lee Cattermole who is rested as part of a controlled comeback from injury.

View attachment 121736
View attachment 121735
Huge. We are winning games when they matter and its another three points off of relegation rivals. Duncan Watmore was the main man again, thumping home after good work from Victor Anichebe for the assist. It took a good long time to make the breakthrough but we kept the faith and it paid off. More minutes for Cattermole and Januzaj off the bench in their recoveries.

View attachment 121734

View attachment 121731

Middlesbrough Vs Sunderland
31st October, 2016.

View attachment 121730

Team News

An enforced change as Mr Consistent Craig Bryson picks up a slight knock and is forced to miss out. Didier Ndong takes his place in the side while Jack Rodwell keeps his place due to a lack of fitness for Lee Cattermole. Watmore, Khazri, Defoe is a front line that is working well for us and seems nice and balanced, so no need for any change up front.

View attachment 121729
View attachment 121728
This is starting to become a really bad habit. We were superb, for the whole game.. until five seconds from the end of injury time in the 2nd half when Jordan Rhodes salvaged a point for bottom of the table Middlesbrough. Jermaine Defoe had sprung in to life, smashing home a brace but it wasnt quite enough. Gutted.

View attachment 121727
October Review

View attachment 121726
A good but hugely frustrating month for us. 6 points really should have been 10 but we threw the Liverpool and Middlesbrough games away by conceding late goals. Plenty of signs of progress however as we score in every game and manage a clean sheet against Swansea. Even with all the positive signs though, it is only one win in the last eight games which is not good enough.

Table
View attachment 121725
We sit nicely in mid table, even though just four points separate 8th from 18th. As a Southampton fan I am getting so much pleasure from seeing Everton flounder at th ebottom of the table and despite our average form, we still find ourselves ahead of Liverpool.

Player of the Month
View attachment 121724
3 goals in 4 games has seen Jermaine Defoe start to pick his form up and its showing in our improving fortunes as a squad. Since his change in role to a poacher he has come alive and has been the active spearhead we have been looking for.

November fixtures
View attachment 121723
We need to take advantage of these fixtures! Watford are currently flying high but we need points. If we can get ourselves out of the relegation dog fight early on, it could be hugely beneficial to our season.

View attachment 121722

West Brom Vs Sunderland
5th November, 2016.

View attachment 121721
Team News

The midfield is shuffled again with Kirchhoff this time the one to lose his place due to poor form. Lee Cattermole will anchor the midfield with Ndong and a fit again Bryson just ahead of him, otherwise no change.

View attachment 121720
View attachment 121719
Robbed. Yet another game where we played really well and yet failed to reap any reward as we lose what felt like a real 6 pointed to West Brom. Jordan Pickford allowed Berahino's shot to squirm through his legs mid way through the first half, with the rest of the match being a story of our wastefulness in front of goal.

View attachment 121718

View attachment 121717
Terrible news for the club as Jordan Pickford picks up an injury in training and will miss the next month or so! He has been really good in between the sticks this season, barring a couple of mistakes, and he will be sorely missed! Mannone is still a couple of weeks away from recovery which means Mika is going to be playing in goal for us. While he is steady and reliable enough, its not ideal.

View attachment 121716

View attachment 121715
Sunderland Vs Bournemouth
19th November, 2016.

View attachment 121714
Team News

Mika starts in goal, replacing the injured Jordan Pickford and Januzaj comes in for Watmore on the right wing. Otherwise an unchanged line up from the side that lost to West Brom.

View attachment 121713
View attachment 121712
What. A. Performance. After Lee Cattermole somewhat unsurprisingly got himself sent off, I feared the worst, and that feeling wasn't helped when Callum Wilson opened the scoring for Bournemouth. We had a tactical reshuffle and went for a narrow diamond with the attacking midfielder missing. It took less than a minute for Craig Bryson to hit an unstoppable finish into the bottom corner from outside the area. Anichebe and Defoe struck up a really good partnership up front and eventually Anichebe flicked a header on for Ndong to use his own head and bury it in the back of the net. This win could define our whole season, I am delighted with the comeback, especially with only 10 men on the pitch. Might have to consider trying the diamond from now on. We have played 12 games this season and only scored 13 goals, time for two up top?

View attachment 121711