adiek22

Reaction score
View attachment 144295
The Swiss Youth Challenge

Welcome to my new Football Manager 2016 story: The Swiss Youth Challenge! My goal is to improve the youth facilities in as many Swiss clubs as possible. This can be done by hiring quality youth coaches, improving facilities, and developing tactics throughout the U18's, U21's and First Team to allow youth products to easily transition from Academy football to First Team football. As my goal is to improve the nation of Switzerland as a whole, not just one club, I will not be buying any players at any of the clubs of which I am managing. This is because if I buy a foreign youth player, he will be taking up a spot on the roster I could use to bring through a youth player of my own. Also, buying a youth player from another Swiss club makes that team slightly worse off, thus decreasing the likelihood that the team will become successful in Europe. European success is crucial in this save for every Swiss team because the funds earned from going deep into continental competition can be reinvested into youth setups.

So, let's go over my rules.

1. No buying players, under any circumstances.
2. Bring players through the club's youth academy and into the First Team.
3. Invest funds into youth development.
4. I am allowed to loan in Swiss players from both domestic and foreign clubs, as long as I determine that their development will be aided by playing for my club.
5. I am allowed to sign Swiss players without a club who are 21 years or younger.

I will enter the save as a Swiss manager named Maxime Bless. Maxime has a Continental B Coaching License and his managerial statistics have been adjusted to be more biased towards youth development. I've also given him a high determination to be able to persuade clubs' boards to invest in youth development.

View attachment 144293

View attachment 144292

I have chosen to start the game with FC Lemont LS, a team in the 2nd tier of Swiss football. I decided to manage Lemont because their facilities are the worst out of any playable team in Switzerland. I am hoping to improve their youth setup, facilities, and coaching as manager.

View attachment 144290

View attachment 144289

Thanks for reading! I hope you stick around to see how I fare in my attempt to turn Switzerland into a wonderkid-producing powerhouse. I am also in the process of writing articles for FM Blog, so if you want to go check out another story by me then be my guest! I am very open to constructive criticism/feedback, so any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
This looks fantastic, I hope you stick with it! Good luck!

View attachment 144263

Well, my first attempt to get better facilities has failed.

View attachment 144262

So the Switzerland European coefficient has improved, which is a big step in achieving my goal of vastly improving the youth setup of the nation. The winner of the Super League now automatically qualifies for the Champions League Group Stage!

View attachment 144261

Wow! The good news seems to just keep on rolling in. A tycoon owner for this club would be absolutely massive for the nation as a whole because Le Mont has the worst facilities in the top 2 divisions. A tycoon owner would obviously mean an influx of cash into the club, and thus vastly improved facilities.

Last edited:

Preseason

View attachment 143905

I'm pleased with our preseason. Losses to RB Salzburg and Celtic aren't concerning, but I would've maybe liked to have seen a little more goals scored. Gygax is a very experienced playmaker playing on the wing and I believe he will be a key to our success this season.

As this save is more of a long-term project and we're not necessarily searching for short-term success, I think I'm going to do about 3-4 major updates every season. What do you guys think? Would more updates be better or should I focus on progressing the save?​

i think, in the first years it is better to focus on progressing the save. Maybe a october/november update, january update, a youth intake update and a end of the season update is good enough

Yea for a Youth Challenge it's mainly focused on the Youth Regen so long updates at the start would be good...

View attachment 143581

View attachment 143580

My tactic for the season is a defensive 4-3-3 with a target man up front. I'm looking to high press against most teams and quickly counter against them. I don't want to use too many player instructions as to not over-complicate my tactic, and also so it is easier for youth team players to adapt to the first team.

View attachment 143579

It took penalties to get past a lower league side in the first round of the Swiss Cup.

View attachment 143578

Dubajic, who is establishing himself as our first choice striker, wins the goal of the month for October from his ridiculous long shot that left the keeper with no chance. Unfortunately we lost the match. :S

​Stay tuned for a mid-season report!

Midseason Report

View attachment 143577

View attachment 143576

It's been quite a disappointing first half of the season. We went on a 7 match winless run including a 3-0 loss to senior affiliates Sion which saw us drop out of the Swiss Cup in Round 2. Our fullbacks have been particularly disappointing, especially Ibrahim Tall, our only right back. If we get a RB during the youth intake I will not hesitate to bring him right into the first team. Bojan Dubajic has had his moments, but has been unable to consistently perform in attack. As you can see, our 7 match winless run included 5 matches in a row without scoring.

View attachment 143575

Our 3rd choice striker complained about playing time, so I ended his loan. We have another striker coming back from injury that should bolster our front line.

View attachment 143574

A 30 year old Fejzulahi was complaining about playing time, so I agreed to sell him. His natural position is AMC, which I haven't used a lot, and he is only about a 1 star player at CM. Fejzulahi's contract runs out at the end of the season, so I will try to move him on for a few thousand in January.

View attachment 143573

The media is giving me more credit than I feel I deserve.

View attachment 143572

Stay tuned for a transfer/youth intake update!​

View attachment 143077
After a dreadful run of results saw Le Mont fall into the relegation zone, the board are understandably disappointed with my management. I'm not sure what it is, but I just can't find anything that works. I've agreed to improve the club's results within the next month.

View attachment 143074
I sign U21 Free Agent Kevin Tsimba (was 21 when I signed him). He was previously a part of the youth ranks at Olympic Lyon, which is promising. As I stated in the beginning of this story, I am allowed to sign free agents if they are 21 years or younger and Swiss. I wouldn't usually want to do this but the poor results have really forced my hand.

View attachment 143076
The club takeover collapses once again.

Youth Intake

View attachment 143072
The youth intake is relatively successful, considering the stature of Le Mont's youth setup. Saka is a right winger with pretty good potential, but his personality is "Unambitious". :(

Last we left off, Le Mont hadn't won a match in 9 tries. The board set me with a goal of improving the club's confidence. How did I do?

Loss. Win. Win. Loss.

A very good month considering the club's previous run of results, right? Right?

SACKED

View attachment 143064
****. That's unfortunate considering how much I wanted to improve this club and it's facilities. I guess they wanted short term success and not long term, which I can respect. I will take some solace in the fact that I've left Le Mont with much better youth coaches and some very decent youngsters.

View attachment 143060
I was excited to fight against promotion in the last few matches, but obviously I wasn't given the chance. We even had a matchup with 9th place Neuchatel Xamax!!!

View attachment 143059
The highlighted match was where we left off after the last schedule update. That run of form mid-season was absolutely horrible.

Our first endeavor into Swiss management ultimately ended in failure. We will look to push on to our next job, taking the experience and learning from it. The story is only beginning. Thanks for reading!

bad luck. really keen to see how you continue with this one, such an interesting idea

Bad luck mate but at least you've helped them a little already. Hopefully your next club will be more patient :)