toddzy

Reaction score
Every year since FM06 I have started a save with Palermo. The reason for doing so is my cousin who introduced me to the game once earned supreme stature in FM05 with the Palermo board deciding to build a statue for him in honour of his success.

This year I'm going to put a little spin on the save and make it a little more attractive to possible readers and followers - something which I hope you will be if you're reading this OP.

Christian 'Bobo' Vieri. Loved and adored by many across Italy but never took that step into coaching or management. Instead as I follow him on Twitter and Instagram I observe he takes numerous selfies a day (poorly btw with a selfie stick) with some glorious looking woman. Furthermore, he runs a fashion line with AC Milan legend and friend Paolo Maldini.

But, for the purpose of this story our hero will be Bobo in all his glory as manager of Palermo who will attempt to deal with notorious Chairman Maurizio Zamparini. He is often extremely outspoken in the press both above players and managers and has an extremely well known reputation for sacking managers.

I plan to write the story from the viewpoint of Vieri and add certain fictional aspects to keep it interesting. Additionally, I will create updates in two parts which will be written from Vieri's viewpoint whilst also posting relevant screenshots at the bottom of updates to highlight was has happened within my FM game.

I am currently in January 2015 of the save so the first post will be an attempt to explain Vieri's first year at the club.

Forza Palermo...

Hello,

I have a few ideas and stuff for this story if people would be interested in reading it?

Just looking to see if this would attract any interest before I start a write up of this save.

Where are we now?

View attachment 267881

A look at Bobo's reign so far

It's been a remarkable 2 years under the former Italian international striker and our team has went strength to strength. When we regained promotion back into Serie A under Giuseppe Iachini the decision was taken that we needed a spearhead or a so called household name to take the club forward. When Bobo was chosen we did not predict the rapid rise back to the top of the Italian first division.

In the 2014/2015 season Christian guided us to 8th position despite just being promoted and large sections of the media considering us to finish 16th at the highest. But, Vieri was not content and after a meeting with Maurizio Zamparini Bobo assertively told his chairman he would bring back European football to the Stadio Renzo Barbera. As promised, Palermo finished 4th sadly losing out on Champions League football by losing their last game of the season to AC Milan who entered the competition instead.

Since his appointment Christian has now signed two contract extensions as Maurizio Zamparini looks to hold onto his main man. Furthermore, the progression of some of the talent under Vieri has been staggering. The main point here being the continued rise of our favourite little Argentine Paulo Dybala.

One of the hottest talents in European football with English powerhouses Chelsea and Arsenal expressing interest. Despite this, Dybala has committed his future to us here in Sicily. in the 2015/2016 season he finished as Europe's top marksman with 27 goals.

But, as humble as Bobo he is he credits his friend and assistant manager with a lot of the work. That man is no other than Juventus legend Alessandro Del Piero. Once retired and finished work in India to promote their new league, Christian extended a hand to his former national teammate as he to looked to take the step into coaching. Together they are creating quite the team.

Last edited:
View attachment 267864

The new additions

View attachment 267866View attachment 267865

We are excitedly announcing the addition of two players on loan as we look to strengthen our side with the aim to compete both in Serie A and Europe successfully. The signings are both year long loan deals for former AC Milan forward Alexandre Pato from Brazilian side Corinthians whilst Antonio Candreva arrives from French giants PSG after an unsuccessful first season the French capital.

Pato will provide cover to already established forward Andrea Belotti who has been performing well next to free scoring Paulo Dybala. There is an agreement within the loan that should Palermo see fit at the end and agree terms with the player they can sign him for €4million.

Candreva will likely occupy the new AMC role that Bobo has deployed most of pre season. With Humam Tariq coming back from his loan spell at Stuttgart, it is likely that the Italian international will have the Iraq midfielder as his understudy. As we could not agree a deal with PSG in regards to a future fee this was not put into place. Furthermore, Candreva's wages of €250K a week would not be in our wage bracket.

Last edited:
Serie A Matchday 1

View attachment 267742

Belotti steals the show

View attachment 267743
Andrea celebrates netting his 2nd of the night

The curtains are drawn back and we were thrown onto the stage eager to impress whilst out to prove that our remarkable season whereby we finished 4th last season above Napoli, Inter and Fiorentina was by no means a fluke. Bobo set out with a 4-3-1-2 formation which was more attacking to the usual 4-1-3-2 formation we had witnessed for most of the 2015/2016 campaign.

But, with the departure of Leonardo Ponzio to Parma at the end of the season it would appear the manager opted for a change and as stated in our previous signing article Candreva would likely be the man to occupy it.

The night started well for Palermo as a Deikmeier cross was guided home for his first of the night by Andrea Belotti on 12 minutes. Andrea needs to be on his toes this season due to the capture of Pato from Corinthians. He remained sharp tonight and looks like Pato may be in for a fight to capture that striker position from him.

It got better for Palermo on 40 minutes from the opposite flank as Daprela whipped in a cross to be met by Paulo Dybala from the edge of the box. The outstanding header finds its way into the top corner of the net - Palermo are coasting.

Belotti rounds off a great night with a deadly finish as an 18 yard box scramble ensues for Genoa.

A very convincing win which gives the side great confidence heading into the game against Inter Milan at the San Siro next.

Two really nice signings mate, love the photos of Pato and Candreva too haha

Thank you. Photoshop skills still a little rusty it's been a while haha! Photos should get better.

Haha, yeah I can see, you left Dybala's tattoo on his arm on the Pato photo! ;)

Haha, yeah I can see, you left Dybala's tattoo on his arm on the Pato photo! ;)

I know :( Although, you could say as part of this story Dybala inspired him to get it...

I think we'll go with rusty photoshop skills mind you.

Cool, mate! I also started a career with Palermo. The tale of Toto Schillaci in Sicily. Kinda :)
I finished 4th in my first season, David Pavelka being my best man. Also, i got Stefan Strandberg and Khouma Babacar on loan.
Unfortunately, i wasnt paying attention and i lost Edgar Barreto and now im looking desperately for a replacement.
Can't wait to see what u're doing next :)

Cool, mate! I also started a career with Palermo. The tale of Toto Schillaci in Sicily. Kinda :)
I finished 4th in my first season, David Pavelka being my best man. Also, i got Stefan Strandberg and Khouma Babacar on loan.
Unfortunately, i wasnt paying attention and i lost Edgar Barreto and now im looking desperately for a replacement.
Can't wait to see what u're doing next :)

I found the first season rather difficult due to the lack of transfer funds supplied. I opted for a rather defensive formation and relied heavily on Dybala and Belotti to hit teams when we got a half chance - thankfully they did.

2nd season I was given a €20million warchest so found it a little easier but put myself into a negative profit/loss balance in the process.

So heading into this season I was given €9million but the squad only needed a few tweaks. So far I have €17million balance and €18million in the black so I'm feeling comfortable.

As for Edgar - fantastic player. The issue I had first season was how often he was booked/sent off. He calmed down second season but he's now approaching the end of his contract in 2017. He's on €30K a week but I think I'd be sad to see him go. Will decide in January if I want to extend as so far this season he hasn't played too much.

Thank you for your comments though. I would recommend Nocerino from AC Milan. I've brought him back to Palermo for €1.3million in second season and he's been good so far.

September 2016 Update

View attachment 267173

Palermo September 2016 Update

After a fantastic start to the league season against Genoa which you will have seen we won 3-0 courtesy of a Belotti brace and a goal from Paulo Dybala. It was important that we kept the rich vein of form going and despite a difficult month which numerous games I felt we were more than capable.

And capable we were. What a fantastic month as we go undefeated scoring some great goals as well. The most notable result comes against Inter Milan at the San Siro. Despite new manager Frank De Boer now being in charge we continued our good form against what was one of the most dominant sides in Europe at one point.

Furthermore, the hard fought victory at Standard was a delight as we traveled away in Europe for the first time. We dominated the game and used a little squad rotation too due to having a rival match against Catania on the following Sunday after this game.

Despite the positives though I am disappointed with the draw against Torino. They took the lead and sat back for most of the game. I adapted the tactics to go route one and take more risks which allowed Dybala to net in the 93rd minute. It's allowed us to remain undefeated mind you.

The leagues looks as below;

How good does that look? Great first month and certainly a lot to build on. Hope we can keep the momentum going as despite saying I want to get into the Europa League I would love to achieve at least 3rd and enter the Champions League.

Has to be Paulo Dybala. 6 goals in 6 games for the month of September is a great return which is why I rely on him so heavily. He plays in the False Nine role which he absolutely revels in. This season he has been appointed vice-captain under Edgar Barreto which I'm hoping will improve him.

Other News

Strong interest from Arsenal and Chelsea prompts me to adapt Paulo's contract. He's currently valued at €36million and has a buyout clause of €62million for a Champions League club. I feel he's irreplaceable so I've extended his buyout clause for Champions League club to €120million at the cost of an extra €25K a week.

I am happy to pay that - he's some player.

Pre October Meeting

Palermo FC Website "Welcome Bobo, how are you?"

Christian Vieri said:
Good afternoon - I am very well thank you.

Palermo FC Website "That's great. You'll be aware this week we used a hashtag on Twitter with #AskBobo in an attempt to draw some exciting questions from the fans. Are you OK to answer some of them?"

Christian Vieri said:
Of course! Go for it.

Palermo FC Website "Great! Lets begin. Question number 1 comes from @Lorenzo74 of Italy. He asks; If you could choose one player from Serie A right now for your side who would it be?"

Christian Vieri said:
Easy - Andrea Pirlo. We are currently monitoring his situation at Roma and should he not get the amount of games he desires we may make a move in January.

Palermo FC Website "Wow, very forward Bobo, not the answer we would expect. Question 2 comes from @toddzy1 from Scotland who asks; You've been a hero of mine for a long time. But what I must ask is do you have any regrets from your career?"

Christian Vieri said:
Missing out on the World Cup in '06. I am still unsure if I would have made the squad but due to injury I will never know. This still haunts me.

Palermo FC Website "Thank you, Bobo. Our 3rd and final question comes from @RobertoT from Italy who asks; What are your goals and aspirations for the next 5 years?"

Christian Vieri said:
I need to win the Champions League and Serie A and Palermo. We must strive to be the best and we are more than capable here to do that.

Palermo FC Website "That's a fantastic answer! Here's hoping you can achieve that. Do we have any injuries for the match against Catania?"

Christian Vieri said:
No, only the suspension of Fabio Daprela.

Palermo FC Website "How are the players feeling about the game?"

Christian Vieri said:
They are feeling good. We've prepared well coming back from Belgium so I am confident.

Palermo FC Website "Best of luck, Bobo."

Christian Vieri said:
Thank you.

Last edited:
Really enjoy ur story, cant wait to see if you will finally crush juve's reign. as for my team, im about to start my 2nd season, but without edgar baretto (moved on a free transfer to san lorenzo) and enzo maresca (retired).

its good to have eze munoz and viviano back and i got 15 mil to spend. im scouting marco benassi and pedro obiang for the central midfielder spot and im seriously thinking to bid for simone zaza.

also, i have to make dybala more efficient, because he didnt actually performed so well in the 1st season. i used him as a DLF, but now im gona swich for a F9.

Really enjoy ur story, cant wait to see if you will finally crush juve's reign. as for my team, im about to start my 2nd season, but without edgar baretto (moved on a free transfer to san lorenzo) and enzo maresca (retired).

its good to have eze munoz and viviano back and i got 15 mil to spend. im scouting marco benassi and pedro obiang for the central midfielder spot and im seriously thinking to bid for simone zaza.

also, i have to make dybala more efficient, because he didnt actually performed so well in the 1st season. i used him as a DLF, but now im gona swich for a F9.

Cannot recommend enough playing Dybala as a F9 - he's ****** lethal.

I wish I had bid for Zaza as well, he's playing for AC Milan atm but not getting a great deal of game time. If we don't sign Pato I will likely move for him for HG rules and the fact he's actually quite good.

Hope your second season is going well mate.

A really amazaing story !
Great update !
Dybala is so mad freaky :p

Thanks buddy.

Reaching the end of October so hopefully pump out an update today.