The UK Politics Thread

At this point, one of the Brexiters like Boris or Gove just need to grow a pair and stand up and say 'You know what guys, this idea was dumb to begin with. If we leave, not only will we have to face tremendous pain as we tear and rewrite numerous legislation but also we will be destroying the UK as we know it with Scotland probably voting for independence'.

Boris realizes this which is why he was looking so glum at his 'victory' rally. Will there be anger and protests if the government decides not to leave? Most certainly yes. Will it completely undermine democracy? Yes. But is the right decision to take. Maybe this vote was needed to make the elites get off their **** and address the grievances of the populace and fix whats wrong with the European project as a whole.

Yeah, politicians in every country gladly use the EU as a convenient excuse for everything they have ****** up entirely on their own.

Except in this case the voters gave them a poker "Check". I bet the Tories are all ******** themselves for realizing what kind of landmine they have stepped in.

well with that **** in charge can any 1 blame them i have seen jellyfish with more back bone than that assclown

If you mean Corbyn I am not sure how he lacks backbone? he may not be leadership material as in he does not inspire in the way say Blair did but the man has plenty of backbone and sticks to his political ideals. Look at the way he campaigned against apartheid and took to the streets when our government supported it. Look at the way he doesn't claim a single penny in expenses, he is a man of integrity, he just is not camera friendly or populist figure so he suffers but to say he has no backbone is just plain wrong.

I thought Corbyn was the start of a new breed who we could actually back at first, then totally lost any respect I had for him when he changed his tune from wanting to leave to wanting to stay in EU.

This idea of a second referendum is utter madness and I think part of this 'divide' we are now having is because people who wanted to remain are insulting leave voters and can't accept the vote didn't go their way.

Honestly I've seen articles claiming the elderly are to blame, people with lower IQ voted to leave, etc etc. It's just insulting and kills the point of a society where all opinions are valued. We had a fair vote, the decision was made.

MP's now moaning about it are ironically from the same party who had this referendum for the public to vote on EU in the first place.

Last edited:
WOOT Epic! You got one of my favourite VERY early years cartoon's into a post. Mr Ben and his Magic Costume Shop. Oh the adventures I used to go on with him through 'watch with Mother' hour. And Bagpuss, the Clangers et all. And the the best of the lot, TRUMPTON!

Many will never forget the day 6 year old me was asked 'And what would you like to be when you grow up?' by our teacher Mrs. Gillespie. To be told 'I want to work in Windy Millers mill Miss' ..... Still holding out hope. One day Windy. One day!

Last edited:
Interesting to see if the EU is willing to allow Scotland to stay if we leave the U.K. could see Spain not wanting it due to Catalonia and the Basque regions along with a couple of other members maybe. But, if they do there is no doubt that Scotland would leave the UK for the EU.

SilkyBoringHorsechestnutleafminer.gif

This Country get's worse by the day.

Reports of hate crime have risen 57 per cent in the aftermath of the EU referendum vote, according to the National Police Chiefs’ Council.

There were 85 reports of hate crimes to True Vision, a police-funded reporting website, between Thursday and Sunday compared with 54 reports over the same period four weeks ago.

....so that's an extra 7 or 8 individual cases per day.

I'm not picking on you zz, but that's a Nation to be proud of? Absolutely despicable. I'd take any of those foreigners all day every day over low life POS Brits like that who continue to drag our name lower and lower. And their number is growing by the day.

Funny how Boris has clammed up after he lead stirring all this hatred up in his campaign huh?

Last edited:
Corbyn to face Labour leadership challenge from Angela Eagle - BBC News

She just might well be the ideal candidate to pull the party back together. Very credible career to date, left wing, old school traditionalist who's still open enough to be forward thinking in this day and age, and who stands up for what she believes in even at the expense of the populist party line (voting for the Syrian strikes a prime example) that is just what Labour needs to get back to, to stand upto the ultra right wing fractions taking over the Tory's.

Farage is also now saying that UK can contribute to the EU budget for access to the market. So we'll still pay the EU yet have no vote in legislation and regulation. Nice one.

Yet another campaign promise broken.

Along with Boris now not standing for leader as the reality of just what a massive **** up this for Britain is hitting home. He doesn't want to be left with the legacy of being the man who brought the Country to it's knees and broke up the UK.

Everyone that voted out should DEMAND a new referendum after being duped on all the lies the out campaign told.

Honestly not sure how we get out of this catastrophic clusterfuck and I don't think anyone in power does either.

Last edited:
I bet that line to PM seat is the shortest in recorded history. Whoever is in charge will be finished as a politician in the inevitable fallout. They're gonna have to find some patsy, because none of the leaders will want to spearhead this thing.

Think I will rename the thread later to just general politics thread, been some good chatter in this thread so will be nice to keep it going. There is also some interesting thongs happening politically, tory leadership race, labour mess and the chilcott report tomorrow

edit - can a mod change the title? "FM-Base Politics Thread" or something of the like, I am really hungover and for the life of me have forgotten how to edit the thread title, **** the swedes and their Kopparberg

Last edited:
Corbyn to face Labour leadership challenge from Angela Eagle - BBC News

She just might well be the ideal candidate to pull the party back together. Very credible career to date, left wing, old school traditionalist who's still open enough to be forward thinking in this day and age, and who stands up for what she believes in even at the expense of the populist party line (voting for the Syrian strikes a prime example) that is just what Labour needs to get back to, to stand upto the ultra right wing fractions taking over the Tory's.

I would have to disagree with this mate, I mean her career is far from credible in my opinion and has had a few gaffes,

look at her resignation letter deriding Corbyn's remain campaign saying he commited his campaign half hearted but only two weeks before she said he was working hard up and down the country with an itinerary that would make a 25 year old tired.

Then not to mention she voted for the Iraq war and then repeatedly voted against having an independent enquiry, with the Chilcott report upon us the Conservatives could well have a field day with it.

Not to mention she actually finished 4th out of 5 when Corbyn got the leadership nod, I couldn't and wouldn't vote for Labour if she ends up getting the nod, although I seriously doubt she would beat Corbyn in a leadership vote. He got 250k votes 10 months ago that's more votes than the conservatives and lib dems have members combined. If she had any strategical nous she would have backed Corbyn and been the driving force in attacking the conservatives right now and trying to unite the party, rather than being the face of this ridiculous coup. She would have been in a far better position to challenge for the leadership after that.

Anyway I want to say I am looking forward to the Chilcott report tomorrow but that is probably the wrong turn of phrase, but I am eagerly anticipating what it has to say. I imagine Tony Blair is going to come in for a lot of flak and rightly so the vile creature that he is.

We're now in a fairly **** situation where Corbyn isn't the best leader by any stretch but is the only really viable candidate. That is the issue. He is there purely because he is someone different and vaguely principled, not because of his other qualities. The guy is a classic cabinet minister: good intentions, good drive, good brain, but lacks charisma. He would do very well as a deputy or a key figure in government, but he lacks the panache, the sheer charisma to really lead the party. If the Labour party had any sense, they would find someone with the same principles but leadership qualities, or a real down to earth working class leader who lacks polish but has a presence to him/her and ask Corbyn to support that candidate, which he would. It's fairly clear the guy doesn't relish leadership but wants to save his party from the Blairites. This is basically the moment where the party can decide to cut off its nose to spite its face, or it can rally around its true principles and sweep the next election. I mean the Brexit vote made one thing clear, people are crying out for change.