The Weird News Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Redders
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 66
  • Views Views 6K
An electricity firm has apologised to a Nottinghamshire woman who received an electricity bill for more than £202m.

Lisa Crossley, from Arnold, Nottingham, had problems with her meter and raised the issue with Powergen.

But after having a new meter fitted at her two-bedroomed terraced house she was staggered to see the huge bill, which arrived on 12 January.

Powergen spokesman Nick Lakin said the mistake was down to human error and Miss Crossley would get a revised bill.

She first contacted the company because she was concerned she was not paying enough after realising her meter was faulty. She requested a new meter and asked for a revised reading.

But she was amazed to the receive a quarterly bill for £202,020,052.47.

It's a genuine error on our behalf - we've obviously rectified it now
Nick Lakin

She said: "It does seem a bit unusual. It's only a two-bedroomed terrace house.

"You'd think there would be some computer check, or person check or something that they could do that would identify bills of this size.

"There was no way I could have paid that and when I phoned up they did tell me not to pay it. But that was never an option - it was not going to get paid."

Powergen spokesman Nick Larkin said: "It was a small error on our side but it produced a very big number and the first thing I would like to do is apologise to Miss Crossley for what happened.

"It's a genuine error on our behalf - we've obviously rectified it now. She'll be receiving a new bill later this week and hopefully that sets it at rest."

Powergen has had to contact 86 other customers, who also received multi-million pound bills, to reassure them and apologise.

The company has asked anyone who does have billing problems to contact them.

I made the stupidest bit of the news bold. She wasn't going to set up a direct debit or anything like that for £202m was she. Dumbasss.

lol @

10. The driver's door doesn't shut unless you slam it very hard. It requires a firm kick when closed from the outside resulting in...

11. Large footprints on the driver's door.

:D

Wow, a cold haggis supper it couldn't get much better.

It could, how about a fish supper and some pickled muscles

Heard about that Whale on the news, how that got into the Thames i dont know. Would of been good to see. Some people sell some weird stuff on eBay don't they lol. :rolleyes:

yeh they do Lloyd: World's most expensive watering can?.

poor whale. :(

wait wait wait...dont telll me that they used one, single, watering can...

Weirdest News Ever!

The BBC plans to mark the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ this Easter with an hour-long live procession through the streets of Manchester featuring The Stone Roses and Happy Mondays and featuring songs by The Smiths and New Order.

Full Details : http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/story/0,,1695198,00.html

Bez and Ian Brown are doing something together :S

England captain David Beckham will be a judge at the 2006 British Book Awards in March. (Daily Star)

redders didnt know who/what it was!

what an idiot

How did Redders not know who the Star Wars kid is, surely he'd recognise himself :)

No, i go the internet ages ago...but im not an internet g33k.

Like ive told you befoire redders its not a net geek thing. It was all over the enws etc for ages, was like the first big internet thing

ok

A former soldier who lost his hearing 15 years ago has suddenly regained it on a ski lift in the Italian Dolomites.
Derek Glover, 72, from Bourne, Lincolnshire, was 7,000ft up on holiday with his daughter when he heard a loud pop and his hearing returned.

Mr Glover's hearing was first damaged while on National Service 50 years ago and gradually worsened until he had to have a hearing aid fitted 15 years ago.

Doctors have so far been unable to explain what happened.

"Believe in miracles"

Mr Glover said: "I'd been skiing all morning and we'd decided we'd had enough so we were coming down in the cable car with my daughter and son-in-law.

"All of a sudden my ears went pop and their voices were dead clear, it was unbelievable.

"The doctors can't explain anything and he's starting to believe in miracles I think."

Mr Glover put his poor hearing down to firing rounds on the army shooting range when he was a soldier on National Service.

But he added that the army had also taught him to ski which was a very fortunate thing.

David Reid, of Deafness Research UK said: "Regaining your hearing because of a change in altitude is very unusual - and the NHS aren't going to be prescribing holidays to the Alps anytime soon!"

nnice. :D

Derek Glover, 72, from Bourne, Lincolnshire.................

"Believe in miracles"

Mr Glover said: "I'd been skiing all morning and we'd decided we'd had enough so we were coming down in the cable car with my daughter and son-in-law.

**** miracles what's a 72 year old doing 7000ft up a mountain skiiing all morning, I bet he's claiming state pension and disability benefit. :irked:

Back