TheBetterHalf

Patient Moderator
Reaction score
* UPDATED WITH NEW VERSION
(Look at post nr 22)
BETTER HALF

FLAT 442

Previously, I have had one masterthread containing all my tactics but now I have decided to give each and every tactic a thread on its own, using the old masterthread as a workshop. In this tactic, we play in a flat 442, using shouts as a reaction of what happens on the field. I prefer playing down the flanks but in the uploaded version, the passing focus is set to mixed and changes when using the shouts so in short, when I use the tactic, I start the match playing down the flanks and then manually change the focus play to "default" when making the shouts ( i.e, actually playing through the middle when shouts "narrow" ) The flow of the game is really nice to watch and as its a flat 442, its in my opinion much more fun to build a squad around. being able to fit in most player types. I have uploaded all player settings, just click the link. In the Role description I have also provided you with some key stats and although they might seem like old news, it wont hurt to read them again
As you can see in the screenshot below( click the link), we play Standard-Balanced and don't use a Playmakers or a Target Man

TEAM INSTRUCTIONS ( Click the link)
formj.png

TACTIC FOUND AS AN ATTACHMENT AT THE END OF THE POST

MAJOR TWEAKED SETTINGS - The closing down of the team is fixed and the mentality of the MCs, Dcs and the FCleft( Poacher)

SHOUTS

The shouts are the ones that I have used with this tactic. Naturally, you can use others too, just remember that the closing down of all players are fixed as well as the mentality of some of the players and those wont be effected.

To play more attacking
STRATEGY - CONTROL
SHOUTS - EXPLOIT FLANKS and/or PLAY WIDER

To break down more cautious opponents by playing in a more controlling manor

STRATEGY - CONTROL
SHOUTS - RETAIN POSSESSION and TRY OVERLAPS, Sometimes also DROP DEEPER but not against teams using a AMc or a false nine

To punish and counter an opponent that press high and attacks you

STRATEGY - COUNTER
SHOUTS - GET BALL FORWARD, PLAY MORE NARROW, PUSH UP

To play more cautious and keep possession whilst still trying to attack when the opportunity arises
STRATEGY - COUNTER
SHOUTS - RETAIN POSSESSION, TAKE A BREATHER, PLAY MORE NARROW, PASS TO FEET

ROLES - Click the links to see their settings

FULLBACKS Keeps it rather simple

Defensive Keys :Work rate -> Decision -> Positioning -> Marking -> Tackling
Attacking Keys : Decision -> Crossing -> Passing
Nice ppms: -

CENTRAL DEFENDERS They keep it simple.

Defensive Keys: Work rate -> Decision -> Positioning -> Marking -> Tackling
Attacking Keys: Decision-> Passing
Nice ppms: Stays back at all times

WINGERS

Our MR keeps the width.

Attacking Keys: Decision -> Off the ball -> Pace -> Passing -> Crossing
Nice ppms: Runs down right flank, Moves into channels

ML, here we have a winger that moves into channels

Attacking Keys Decision -> Stamina ->Dribbling -> Pace -> Crossing
Nice ppms: Moves into channels, Gets inside the box

CENTRAL MIDFIELDERS

MCleft Is a more advanced holding player that keeps it simple

Attacking Keys: Decision -> Passing -> Off the ball
Nice ppms: Arrives late in the opposition area

MCright is the more creative and hits t-balls from deep

Defensive Keys: Decision -> Creativity -> Passing
Attacking Keys: Work rate -> Decision -> Positioning -> Marking -> Tackling
Nice ppms: Dictates tempo, Looks for a t-ball

ATTACKERS

FCleft

Our main scorer. Its importnat that he is able to not only get to the right place at the right time but also to actually put the ball into the net when the chance comes along. If he has good arial ability, then it’s a huge bonus but pace is more important

Defensive Keys: Work rate -> Tackling
Attacking Keys: Off the ball -> Anticipation -> Pace -> Finishing -> Composure -> Agility
Nice ppms:Moves into channels

FCRight - This player makes the final pass to the Poacher in FCleft

Defensive Keys: Work rate -> Tackling
Attacking Keys: Off the ball -> Anticipation -> Pace -> Passing -> Strength -> Agility
Nice ppms:Moves into channels

RESULTS

Really good results with Burnley, Birmingham, Charlton, Crewe and Arsenal

Table with Burnley Burnley Player stats

OPPOSITION INSTRUCTIONS

These are the OIs that I personally use or consider using when playing with almost any tactic. All depening on how indepth I want to get in the current save

Lone Striker
Tight mark and Close Down set to always

Strong but slow striker holding onto ball in a 2-man attack
Hard tackle, show onto weaker foot. i

Rubbish crossers
I show them down the line

Great crossers with right foot on right flank etc.
Show them inside

Advanced MC with good longshot and/or with great flair
Show onto weaker foot, Close Down

Deeplying playmaker and/or holding player
I let one of my Strikers manmark him and use Close down always

MATCH PREPERATION

Tactics
I usually save the Tactic as " Normal" and then make 2 more tactics. One that plays with more width and in a higher tempo( control) and one that play more narrow slow and on the counter( Counter). I then load up these 3 versions and let the players become familiar with all 3 versions so that we can use the shouts to its full benefit.

Focus Area and workload
Here, I use Team Blend for the first 2 months and then change depending on the opposition. Sometimes focusing on the more defensive aspects and sometimes the more attacking. As for the workload, I use heavy in the preseason and then in the middle or just under it during the rest of the season

TEAM TALKS AND THE MEDIA

I don't do media and as for teamtalks, It depends. Sometimes I go more indepth and make notes and sometimes I basically let my assman do it for me

PITCH SIZE

If i am a top team and tend to go for the more attacking shouts when playing at home, I choose a wide pitch. If I am an underdog, I keep a narrow pitch

POOR WEATHER

Well, I play in England and its raining....constantly. This I one of the reasons why I like to use take a breather in many matches to save energy but then again, I also use get ball forward when I feel that the opposition are the more tired side. One thing to remember though is to lower the d-line when playing in a long pitch on a rainy day, especially if having slow defenders or playing teams that have vey quick attackers and that tend to play more direct

PLAYING WITH 10 MEN

If I want to see out the game, being in the lead or drawing, I tend to remove the FCright and put the FCleft in the center as a FFC, always checking that he has kept his role and has the same settings as before moving him. After that, I use the more cautious counter shouts. Counter, Retain, Breather, To feet and Narrow. If I on the other hand is loosing, I do the same but 10 minutes from full time, I put the more attacking MC in the AMC position, pull in the wingers into MCl och MCR and play Attack, Wider and push up the d-line even more

Last edited:
Will happly try it in one of my saves (Crawley career) :D

Hmm maybe couple screens? Table, statistics etc.

Lol, are you seriously questioning TBH's tactical credentials?

We appointed her as a tactics moderator for a reason.

Last edited:
PITCH SIZE

If i am a top team and tend to go for the more attacking shouts when playing at home, I choose a wide pitch. If I am an underdog, I keep a narrow pitch

I have just started a save as Brighton and they are a mid table team but i have some great wingers for the league i am in. What pitch size would you suggest???

I have just started a save as Brighton and they are a mid table team but i have some great wingers for the league i am in. What pitch size would you suggest???

-i would go for a medium pitch and consider playing down the flanks. Just remember that you manually have to change the passing focus back to "Default" when using the counter shouts

Cheers for the advice.

Is there any way to save the shouts to the tactic so that you switch between them easier???

TBH, so glad you have done a 4-4-2, i love your tactics, i bow to your supreme tactical knowledge!!

Ok, having some good results during pre season. A lot of possesion and CCC`s.

What training do you use??

When testing a tactic, I don't do training. When I play a career game, I make one for each and every player to make sure that i elimitate some of their major flaws. In the current save for example, I have some creative Mcs that simply cant mark or be in a good position and therefor, I train them in defending and Tactics

---------- Post added at 04:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 AM ----------

Last game. We faced Leicester and they formed a wide 4231 with MCs. We started out with the uploaded version but I switched to playing down the flanks after about 10 minutes as they flooded the midfield. After going one goal down we scored 2 and when they started playing wider and with the wingers really advanced, We chnaged to the more cautious counter shouts.

Strategy - Counter
Focus passing- Default
Shouts - Narrow, retain, breather, pass to feet AND stay on feet as its started to rain

So in short, we kept possession and played more cautious and kept narrow. We scored 3 more as we outnumbered them in attack, hitting t-balls from midfield into channels down the flanks, keeping possession with our wingers and fullbacks against theirlonely fullbacks as their wingers never tracked back

gamet.png

Last edited:
First post slightly edited, me being clearer on the fact that I play down the flanks when not using shouts
Some hints about when playing with 10 men also added

might download this, could be a back-up to my Human-Body tactic ;)

Hi, do you do anything differently when playing away?
I have described in the opening post about the shouts and in-game tweaks that I use with this tactic. As you can see, some of them are more cautious and some of them are more aggressive and when playing away from home, I tend to learn towards the cautious ones. Needless to say, I use the cautious ones at home too, just like I use the more aggressive ones when on the road as well.

I always start the game in "full match" and often implement shouts within minutes after kickoff. When it comes to the Strategy, I have often changed this pregame

might download this, could be a back-up to my Human-Body tactic ;)

Just started a new save so will use this :)

Looking forward to some feedback

Very similar to my West Ham tactic. Downloading now to get some ideas. Thanks for this :)

Very similar to my West Ham tactic. Downloading now to get some ideas. Thanks for this :)

Looking forward ot hear some of your ideas about my settings compared to yours.

Cheers

---------- Post added at 03:05 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 12:23 AM ----------

Having a good start in 2011/12 with my newly promoted Burnley side. The only change I have done is that I play down the flanks all the time, regardless of strategy and shouts. I am also using the Strategy Defensive when facing a really hard opponent

tablefmbase.png

SS of matches

SUNDERLAND 2-1
WEST BROM 3-0
BIRMINGHAM 1-1
CHELSEA 1-1
BLACKBURN 2-1
STOKE 3-1

Last edited: